Quantcast
Automotive Mechanic: How to begin? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Mechanic: How to begin?

Default Automotive Mechanic: How to begin?

Hello,

I finished a psychology degree in 2004 and have worked in the field but for the most part have found my options limited and disappointing considering the time I invested to get this degree. There are a couple different ways I could attempt to use my degree but I'm not sure I want to. I am not interested in completing graduate studies. One option I am seriously considering is going in the trade of automotive service technician. Unfortunately I have never had the time to pursue automotive mechanics. I had so little money going through university that I didn't even get a car until I was done. Are there employers who take people like myself as an apprentice -- and by person like myself I mean someone with essentially no knowledge of automotive mechanics. If I had the time I would pursue automotive mechanics on my own or through NAIT first and then apply for apprenticeship/work. But I need to get a job within a few months because my money will run out. I don't really want to go back to what I as doing (community service worker), but I will if I must. Anyone have any general advice for me?

Also, I've been trying to find information on what companies in Edmonton take on apprentices for the position of automotive mechanic but I found very little in my web searches. Does anyone know of a list of such companies?

Thanks in Advance,

-- Matthew
    Last edited by oneday; 11-03-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-01-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    00 Protege

or go to sait's automotive technologies program. It's a great program. Two years you get a diploma(get you a job in no time) And it counts towards your hours.... so 16 months of your hours....

^^ Good points

One more that will help you out ALOT.
    Don't know what your doing? Ask
    Don't know what youir taking off putting on? Ask
    Don't know how it works? Ask
    Think you fucked up? Ask quicker.

As long as you and your mentor are on the same level and your asking shit, then he knows your learning. If your a quite person, get over it and ask shit and have discussions about the way shit works and stuff. If your mentor doesn't get asked questions its jsut do this do that, then you aren't understanding everything, you aren't challenging his opinions and you definalty aren't learning cause ur not as into it as you should be.

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

but its ridiculously expensive and your not earning money while you do it.......

Might as well earn money and get an apprenticeship don't you think? If you hit the pavement and hand out resumes its not hard to find a job as an apprentice anything right now.

and overtime is common even for mechanics, so you can get your hours quicker....even if you require 1 calender year between integrals in your apprenticeships, you can rake up hours quickly.

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know of any skilled and honest companies that have lube tech positions and take on automotive apprentices in Edmonton and area?

Is it common for companies to take on lube techs who have no training and train them the skills necessary to be a lube tech?

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

yes its true......if your looking for an entry job to get into the field kal tire is pretty much always hiring at every location.

I know alot of guys who started doing small job right at a dealer with no experience and then were apprenticing withing a few months.

My Ride
    2003 spec r1 wrx

in my opinion mechanic jobs can suck my ass. I spent 6 years of my life doing what your about to do, wast of time......
    you sound like a smart guy, go get your h2s and go work on the rigs as a wireliner or tester somthing like that. 20 some bucks an hour to start, licience mechanic makes 20 bucks an hour.

Iam a 2 year mechanic app. and I said fuck that there is way more money else where and way less work

PS testers and wireliners is a lazy job

hope this helps you to not make the same mistake that I did
    GO Hard Or Go Home

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

tester and wireline = lazy this is true.

a journeyman mechanic can pretty easily make 70k/year though...as much as a wireline guy or fraccer....

not to mention your in a heated shop and dont work crazy hours ect..

My Ride
    2003 spec r1 wrx

ya ok but that is how much you start at not finish. No one can argue that a mechanic is not a knuckle bashing dirty job.
    GO Hard Or Go Home

My Ride
    00 Protege

if you take the sait diploma and transfer to montana you can get a bach of sci with a major in automotive technologies and from what I've heard get offers from major manufacturers right out of school making the big bucks.

Originally posted by Mikespecr1
    ya ok but that is how much you start at not finish. No one can argue that a mechanic is not a knuckle bashing dirty job.
    You were making how much as a 2nd yr? and your journeymen were only getting 20/hour?

Shitty luck for you, as 1st year apprentice with no hours I was getting 16 an hour.

Maybe you just had to find a better/busier shop?

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Originally posted by Mikespecr1
    licience mechanic makes 20 bucks an hour.

Where is this? 1980?

Average shop is paying 27-33$/hr (most dealerships are at 31 right now)...

body men make 21$/hr... but earn at least 14hrs a day.. (hell as a 3rdy year collision repair tech, i will make just over 55k this year..)

There are lots of guys (and gals now) making over 100k in the auto repair sector..
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    Volvo 242, Frontier, XR350L, Edge

i should jump in on this because i am 2nd year AST student. as for the money i see techs pull in more then 90k a year because they work for what they want (eg Volvo). Also starting your own shop can bring in lots of big bucks. as for the course yes it is expensive but the stuff that i have learned so far has helped me more then anything. but heck do what you wanna do! to me its fun working on cars and getting into aftermarket preformance can be even more fun.

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

Thats right, enjoy your work, do what you want to do.

I keep thinking I might go into being a mechanic....or try and start low in a performance shop. Cant beat getting paid on something you love to do, thats what really matters.

My Ride
    2003 spec r1 wrx

lets stay on topic here. He asked for a opinion on what to do. I now how it feels to go through a crap load of school for NOTHING, I now alot of people that that has happened to. it sucks. That is my opinion....

and besides I would rather have the money
    GO Hard Or Go Home

My Ride
    2003 spec r1 wrx

Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
    Thats right, enjoy your work, do what you want to do.

I keep thinking I might go into being a mechanic....or try and start low in a performance shop. Cant beat getting paid on something you love to do, thats what really matters.
    lissen kiddo a word of advice. If you like working on cars and you do it every day, when you get home from work do you really think that you going to want to work on cars. Hence the saying "Never buys a mechanic car".
    GO Hard Or Go Home

As my dad says who works int he patch

Money and No life
    Or life and some money

Audio don't take little mikey there too seriously, he can't even defend himself on ehre and has to result to PM's for personal attack.

Do what you wish, you'll find your spot in the auto industry.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

I just think somebody is upset that he could not cut it
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast