Quantcast
gf just got laid off after 3 weeks...just a bit of advice plz - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: gf just got laid off after 3 weeks...just a bit of advice plz

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

Default gf just got laid off after 3 weeks...just a bit of advice plz

Hey guys

I know theres quite a few law junkies in here and was just asking some advice

No im not here bitchign about how my gf got laid off after 3 weeks at Jacobs Engineering but rather the situation behind it.

Now. my gf was working at a job which paid higher but she did not ilke how she was constantly being treated and how there was simply no growth within the company. They even offered her more money to stay but she opted against it to try for a career at a much bigger company which was Jacobs.

Now she recently got hired at Jacobs Engineering and no longer than 3 weeks she was laid off. Now what boggles my mind is that they told her this

"We were actually thinking about terminating that position before we even hired. and we just realized it was no longer needed. sorry to let you go it has nothing to do with your strong work ethic and willingness to learn"

And they also had a good 1 1/2 months before she officially started her new job to decide whether or not they should have said the position was no longer needed.

Now i know this is a long shot and to me it seems like shes SOL but i hate seeing my gf bawl and be left in such a brutal situation right now. But wouldnt they have to mention the position is basically on thin ice before they even hired? To me something sounds off but what do i know. Which is why...

....Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. This sounds like nothing we can do but why go out without some typa help

seeking proper suggestions people. I only hope beyond treats me the same as ive tried to treat many of the people on this forum. with respect and generosity and willingness to help with many responses.
    Last edited by sh0ko; 07-21-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

Unfortunatly within the probation period of the given company, she can be let go for anything unless stated in a offer of employment or contract.

She is SOL

My Ride

^ thats what i figured.
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

That friggin sucks dude. Hope she finds better work elsewhere.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    R50

SOL + 2

A company can lay you off anytime during the probation, the fact that they want to cut the job before or after her hire are both out of the equation. It's unfortunate, but that's part of the risk in changing jobs.

Was she contract or staff position? At any rate, it doesn't matter too much since she was there less than 3 months. Was she part of a project that was cancelled? Was she actually doing real work? (i.e. not just training, etc) EPC's are known to be harsh on the labour resource side of things. Was she given compensation for in-lieu of notice? If they did give her a couple of weeks for compensation then I'm sure they did what they are legally obligated to do.

It doesn't bode well on the PR side of things to attract talent as I'm sure her story (whether truth or not) will spread and make others re-think before accepting employment at Jacobs.

On the flip side of things, she shouldn't worry too much as the market is picking up right now and if she has marketable skills and experience, she will find something fast.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

What was her position if you don't mind me asking?

Now that proper responses were given...

I have a job for her!

My Ride

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    What was her position if you don't mind me asking?
    she was hired for a position as an HR clerk.

She dosent have post secondary but definetly makes up for it with her working time etc.

schools not for everybody but shes not lazy AT all.

and yes 3 weeks pay will be given (hopefully she can strike a job then) which is why i was so hesistant to post this because that sounded like they acted accordingly .
    But i mean never go out without a fight right?

thanx guys!

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by spike98
    Now that proper responses were given...

I have a job for her!
    haha i was gunna say pics, but i was truly curious what position.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

SOL. That sucks, good luck on finding a new job

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Euro838
    Was she given compensation for in-lieu of notice? If they did give her a couple of weeks for compensation then I'm sure they did what they are legally obligated to do.

Originally posted by sh0ko

and yes 3 weeks pay will be given (hopefully she can strike a job then) which is why i was so hesistant to post this because that sounded like they acted accordingly .
    But i mean never go out without a fight right?

Did they give her an extra three weeks paid on top of the three weeks worked?

I think they might have even been pretty generous because as long as she was within her probation period, she was subject to termination without notice, and all they really had to do was pay her for her time worked.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    R50

Originally posted by JfuckinC

haha i was gunna say pics, but i was truly curious what position.
    Pics and position... I like the way you think!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

my gf just went through the same thing, these 2 other chicks and they basically worked themselves out of work really is how i can explain it but it was just a regular termination of position for some shell canada contracting which she got through a temp agency, they actually just asked her to stay and booted the 2 other temp contractor chicks, gave her a new contract for a year!

i guess it related to your gfs story in that they just up and said: today is your last day... thank you.. in a snap of the fingers they had to clean out their desks and leave.

i guess that said, temping agency looks like it, pm me if you want the # and ill try and get it, they've always found jobs for a few of my friends and gf of course pretty quick if she wants to get working right away.

My Ride
    See sig

That is for sure a shitty situation. Go back to Jacobs HR, and ask for priority consideration for any other current job postings... work as an assistant if nothing else comes up.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Wow, talk about irresponsible. Sounds like HR at Jacobs is filled with a few too many retards.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2013 GTR BE, 2010 Jeep SRT8

Originally posted by msommers
    Wow, talk about irresponsible. Sounds like HR at Jacobs is filled with a few too many retards.
    The HR department here is quite good actually!

sounds like YOU are the retard for jumping to that conclusion bud.

Been here at Jacobs 8+ years, we are one of the best if not the best at finding projects, GOOD employees, and retaining folks. My guess is that she just did not fit into the role and you can believe anything she says to you but you dont really know as you did not see her at work.

My guess is that their excuse to let her go was jsut something someone came up with because they didnt want to say "you arent suited for this position"

good luck job hunting for your gf .... maybe stay away from EPC companies and go something retail or restaraunt?

My Ride

Originally posted by dawwgy

good luck job hunting for your gf .... maybe stay away from EPC companies and go something retail or restaraunt?

thanx buddy.. like i said keep the asshole responses to urself

My Ride
    2013 GTR BE, 2010 Jeep SRT8

Originally posted by sh0ko

thanx buddy.. like i said keep the asshole responses to urself
    I wasnt being an asshole, i defended Jacobs HR, then gave a suggestion to your gf ...

My Ride

^ i thought u were trying to insult her by saying to stay away from companies and work "peasant" jobs like that due to her lack of god knows what.
    we all gotta start somewhere man.

my bad?

thanx anyways