Quantcast
22,000 teachers laid off today in California. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 22,000 teachers laid off today in California.

Default 22,000 teachers laid off today in California.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_835987.html

State has run out of money. Actually they ran out of money last year, but the teachers had a small extension.

Well, at least they don't have to worry about earthquakes yet.
    Cocoa $9,000 per tonne.

Yeah because that state has so many extra teachers that arent required.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Now they can take up bodybuilding.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by rx7boi
    Haha what the fuck? that was so random

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Too bad the teachers that are retiring and the ones that have already retired feel so entitled to their massive pension plans. Maybe, if they would make some concessions, the state wouldn't be forced to fire new teachers to pay for ones that have already stopped working.

Pretty F'd up.

Public Unions = Bad.

Public Teachers Unions = The Worst.

EDIT
    Mish...:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...-teachers.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...nyone-why.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...h-threats.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...l-in-sick.html

Here is the exact statement: "I think that teachers are special and must be separated out in this debate and protected."

Ironically, if anyone is "special" in the student-teacher relationship, it is the students (and those who cannot protect themselves), not the teachers!

With no disrespect to teachers or any other profession, no one is "more special" than anyone else.

People who believe they are special are a huge part of the problem. Everyone wants their group protected at the expense of everyone else. Every group has their own excuse why they are special. It's one of the reasons we are in this mess.

The person who emailed me has decidedly biased opinion (his wife is a teacher). I also hear it from police think they are special because their lives are on the line.

However, stats show that agricultural work is far more dangerous than police work. Fishing and roofing are of the most dangerous professions of all. Should fisherman, roofers, and agricultural workers get "special" pension benefits?
    Last edited by broken_legs; 03-15-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

In related news the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan is supposedly listening to offers for their 66% stake in MLSE (~worth $1.5B) to gain some liquidity.

Since these layoffs were seemingly based on seniority rather than quality Alberta should look into poaching the better ones.

I don't know that we can afford Cali teachers.

They pay $2,000 for wacky weed down there and 2 million for apartment buildings. Living that high on the hog for that long means even a starter teacher expects caviar with wine.

They've pretty much priced themselves out of the market. While the US can indefinitely print $600B every time they need to, we can't (We can't even justify $16B to replace a 20 year old fighter jet fleet)

And if you look at how amazingly prosperous California is now - do you really want to bring any of their teachers here to do the exact same to Canada?

Besides, the local teachers would be angry if they got squeezed out in a tight market.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 03-15-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Cocoa $9,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I don't know that we can afford Cali teachers.

They pay $2,000 for wacky weed down there and 2 million for apartment buildings. Living that high on the hog for that long means even a starter teacher expects caviar with wine.

They've pretty much priced themselves out of the market. While the US can indefinitely print $600B every time they need to, we can't (We can't even justify $16B to replace a 20 year old fighter jet fleet)

And if you look at how amazingly prosperous California is now - do you really want to bring any of their teachers here to do the exact same to Canada?

Besides, the local teachers would be angry if they got squeezed out in a tight market.

Do you ever come to meets Zenops?? I would like to meet you one day.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

More on California Teachers Pension Plan (CALPERS)

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/cal...eturn-rate-775

The committee of the California Public Employees' Retirement System decided to recommend maintaining the rate at 7.75%, instead of adopting the recommendation by Calpers's chief actuary to lower the rate to 7.5%.
    Critics blame too-rosy rates for contributing to state pension shortfalls, estimated at more than $1 trillion nationwide.
    A decrease in the Calpers rate of return to 7.5% would have bumped up what local California governments pay on behalf of government workers by 1.5% to 3% of payroll costs each year and 3% to 5% of what they pay on behalf of police officers, firefighters and other public-safety officers, a Calpers spokeswoman said.
    Pension plans are typically funded by investment returns as well as contributions from public employers and government workers. Pension plans considering the adoption of a more-conservative annual rate of return are faced with having to shift a greater financial burden on to public employers (AKA TAXPAYERS), since typically contributions from employees legally can't be changed.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by CMW403

Do you ever come to meets Zenops?? I would like to meet you one day.
    I feel the same way. I don't even want to hate on the guy, I simply love the flavour he provides to the forums!
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

...but the real question is, how much do Cali teachers make?

We can shoot the breeze about how they should sacrifice their pensions and all but really, if they made shit for cash to begin with, that pension means very, very little.

I would almost bet money that a Californian teacher makes a fraction of what an Albertan teacher makes.

Wait...

http://teacherportal.com/salary/Cali...teacher-salary

They start in the high 30's and on average make 60?

That's a lot less than Alberta teachers....a LOT. Plus, larger class sizes.

One of my teacher friends mentioned, when he maxes out at the 12 year mark (he's about 5 years in), is projected to make 100k (and currently makes in the high 60s).
    Last edited by 1barA4; 03-15-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

Originally posted by rx7boi
    This is the most hilarious comment.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Default Re: 22,000 teachers laid off today in California.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_835987.html

State has run out of money. Actually they ran out of money last year, but the teachers had a small extension.

Well, at least they don't have to worry about earthquakes yet.
    It is a way of breaking the union.

Lay off a ton of teachers in the spring with lots of advance notice (so that the union can't fight the decision) and then high the majority of them back for September and weed out the dead wood in the process.

Why did you post this? What does this have to do with Calgary or Canada? What kind of ties do you have with California?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by Rat Fink

Where the hell does he live to make that much scratch? My mom had around 35 years experience and when she retired she was at 75-80K before taxes in Lethbridge. My step-dad is around the same mark too with similar amount of experience.

The only teachers having a chance at making close to 100K in the school districts I know of are principals.
    Currently, the cap (at 6 years of education) is like 76k.
    If you read what I posted, the union projects that when he hits the 12 year mark (the highest wage level) at 2018, that top step should be at 100k.

That projection is based on cost of living increases and contract increases. I'm just saying what he said and what he was told by his union reps.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

Originally posted by 1barA4

Currently, the cap (at 6 years of education) is like 76k.
    If you read what I posted, the union projects that when he hits the 12 year mark (the highest wage level) at 2018, that top step should be at 100k.

That projection is based on cost of living increases and contract increases. I'm just saying what he said and what he was told by his union reps.
    After the last couple years they have had, they will be lucky to get 1.2% on the next contract. Teachers are always right behind the curve. Get in shit in a recession because they are getting raises. Once people are back to 5 - 10% raises they will be arguing for 2%. I very much doubt he will be at 100k in 7 years.

I would bank on about 95k MAX
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Konj
    Why did you post this? What does this have to do with Calgary or Canada? What kind of ties do you have with California?
    Who pissed in your cornflakes? The OP found it interesting - even if it doesn't directly affect us here. If you don't want to read the content then you should have read the (accurate) subject line before you came in here.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Kloubek

Who pissed in your cornflakes? The OP found it interesting - even if it doesn't directly affect us here. If you don't want to read the content then you should have read the (accurate) subject line before you came in here.
    No he's totally right. Why should we pay attention to any news outside of Calgary, I mean screw the rest of the world, it's not like anything outside of Canada, effects Canada or the people in it at all.

I keep hearing people talk about some kind of earthquake in Japan, and I just tell them, "Hey, it wasn't in Canada, don't worry about it!"

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I keep hearing people talk about some kind of earthquake in Japan, and I just tell them, "Hey, it wasn't in Canada, don't worry about it!"

Exactly what I was thinking of saying actually. But perhaps the fact that the Japanese economy is so intertwined on a global scale to ours is reason sufficient to deem it important. When dealing with mindless twits like this, it is really impossible to know what is (or is not) going through their head....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast