Quantcast
Thinking about an LT1 Firebird - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about an LT1 Firebird

My Ride
    G37X

Default Thinking about an LT1 Firebird

So I've had my SRT-4 for just over a year now. It's been a great car, but I think I'm ready for a change. I've always been a fan of the fourth gen 'birds. I'm considering trading my car in for one.

Now I realize this post probably won't get a lot of love on beyond, but I figured at least I'd get some opinions and maybe some of you have owned one.

This car would be my DD , including the winter (with winter tires of course.) Keeping in mind that my commute to work is only 5K so I think it would be ok for minimal winter driving.

I'm already used to piss poor gas mileage in the city so I don't think it could be much worse with a firebird. The one I've been looking at is a 1994 , it has lowish km (105 K) and 6 speed manual It does look to have some ghetto patch repair in a rear wheel well so that part I'm not wild about. Is it common for wheel wells on these to rust out?

Thanks all for any input!
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 10-13-2011 at 09:12 AM.

My Ride
    BOOSTANG,CADDY,Z32

Srt4s are pretty boss when it comes to being a quick daily driver. I love mine very much i just get a little bored sometimes. If you are going to get an F-body get one with an Ls and not an LT. I have also heard the Lt cars have some minor ignition issues. But overa good fun cars

BOOSTIN
    I Love me some turbo action

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by blackpeople
    Srt4s are pretty boss when it comes to being a quick daily driver. I love mine very much i just get a little bored sometimes. If you are going to get an F-body get one with an Ls and not an LT. I have also heard the Lt cars have some minor ignition issues. But overa good fun cars
    LS 'birds seem to be a lot more expensive unfortunately. I've also heard about the ignition issues. But on the plus side, I've heard the low end torque on the LT1 is better for everyday fun which is priority 1 for me. If anything the firebird lt1 would be a little slower then the neon, but V8 rumble , RWD and better styling are very appealing

My Ride
    BOOSTANG,CADDY,Z32

Well it seems like you have already made up your mind so go for it. I think its a good trade if the F-body is in good shape because its a way better plateform to build a fast car from.

BOOSTIN
    I Love me some turbo action

My Ride
    Needs a Stick.

get it then swap an LS later, it can be done. The LT1 all around wasnt bad nor was it anything special. my boss used to run one on the daily, it had 320,000k when he traded it of for an 01 with an LS. Even if you did have ignition issues its such a simple platform in general, youd have no problem working on it regardless of what went wrong. as far as rust, its GM its always gonna rust in the quarters haha
    97 Blazer (back from near death)
    66 El Camino (project)
    82 Honda Magna V45

@theheeltoehero -twitter
    http://theonetheonlyheeltoehero.tumblr.com/

My Ride
    K-car

My first Vette had the Lt1, i loved the instant torque and the fuel economy was very good for a V8. Overall i really liked that engine. I had the optispark ignition problem with mine, on the factory setup there is no breather for the distributor, its not a completely waterproof unit so if you hit a deep puddle or washed the engine water could get in there and they corrode inside. It also sits right under the waterpump so if that ever leaks it will cause problems as well. I replace mine with a MSD billet unit from Mopac, it was about $450 and worth every penny! If you do this upgrade replace the waterpump at the same time (you'll have it out anyway) Other than that they are a reliable engine. Aftermarket parts i find very expensive though.

My Ride

Word, check and see if the optispark has been done!
    It's no ls1, but the LT1 can still make lots of power and is pretty cheap to modify!

My Ride
    G37X

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'm going to check it out this weekend.

My Ride
    F30

I love birds/trans am's let us know how it turns out and if you get it be sure to post up some pics
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    G37X

ffff they just sold it today...prob been listed for a year .Oh well, I'll keep looking. Probably better to get one in the summer anyway!

I had an 1996 LT1 Trans-Am and it was a great car, one of those cars I look back and wish I never sold. Good power, never any issues at all, decent mileage with the 6spd too. Easy to work on and the part/mods are cheap. Never should have got rid of it.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    G37X

*Update- Potentially trading my neon for a 98 catfish LS1...only hitch is he wants cash on top. Thoughts? I dont want to lose my shirt on this potential trade..damn people selling turbo neons for 6k on kijiji...Im gonna hunt them down!! I think kino must also feel the pain with that one He values his catfish at 11k what do you guys think is a reasonable deal?

My Ride
    V8s

My Ride
    G37X

Hahaha I knew that picture was coming! They kinda remind me of a Chrysler Sebring. If i get it, Ill get "C8FSH8U" for a plate

My Ride
    G37X

So taking another look at a 97 lt1 z28 for sale at treadz tomorrow low kms and 6 speed. test drove it the other day lots of rattle and squeeks in the cabin..although i hear this is normal. also on the lot with a snapped e brake cable. what should i be looking out for?

My Ride
    Its Quick

There is the odd LS1 that comes up cheap i'd seriously would hold out for one. I have one and love it

My Ride
    G37X

I'm thinking your right Offroad. The LS1 is better, I just like the fact that the LT1 makes peak torque at way lower rpm's. Makes for a lively daily driver.

So this 97 z28 Lt1 I test drove fell off hard above 3rd gear. It was pathetic really. Also a nasty burning smell in the cabin although no smoke whatsoever. Any idea what would cause this?

My Ride
    Its Quick

Ya i agree but takes way less $$$ to get a LS1 to stoopid horse power and the bottom end supposedly good till 1000 hp.....plus none of those nasty optispark problems.

here check out these sites and check it out they are also LT1 sites

LS1.com

CamaroZ28.com

LS1tech.com

My Ride
    Its Quick

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    I'm thinking your right Offroad. The LS1 is better, I just like the fact that the LT1 makes peak torque at way lower rpm's. Makes for a lively daily driver.

So this 97 z28 Lt1 I test drove fell off hard above 3rd gear. It was pathetic really. Also a nasty burning smell in the cabin although no smoke whatsoever. Any idea what would cause this?
    hmm the burning im not sure my experience with burning with no smoke is usually somthing hitting a hot exhaust and vaporizing right away like head gasket ,oil leak etc

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast