Quantcast
Will the Internet Ever Get Full? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Will the Internet Ever Get Full?

My Ride
    335i

Default Will the Internet Ever Get Full?

I'm supposed to write a paper for school concerning this topic, and I have no idea where to begin since I don't know much about the internet.

So for all you computer saavy guys and girls - will the internet ever get full?

Any links that will help explain it?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Impreza RS

What do you mean by full?

The internet will become "full" when there is not even a cubic centimeter left on earth to build a dedicated webpage server, and hard drive technology is maxed out.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

hey i'm in the same class

no idea what to write

Actually, yes, the Internet WILL get full.

Each machine requires an IP address. If you look at the original IP addressing scheme, you can easily determine the number of available IP addresses. Based on the maximum of 256 x 256 x 256 x 256 less the reserved ones, as well as the ones that simply can't be used. It's hard to calculate exactly, because there are so many subnets that are being used, more IP's get lost in the mix of subnetting. So the TRUE number of available IP is less than the theoretical number of IP.

But, it's about 4 billion devices available under the current scheme. Which seems like a lot, but really it's not. Especially when we live in a world where soon your toaster, microwave, stove, etc will all get their own IP!

It's for that reason that in order for the 'world' to grow, the current IP addressing scheme at some point will be replaced. Last time I looked in to this, there was something in the works that utilized 6 spots instead of 4. (example) 24.168.1.1 would then be able to become 24.168.1.1.1.1 or so on. That then takes the current number of devices available and increases it beyond the realistic numbers required (even for a thousand years down the road). It'd give you enough IP address so that every device in your house (not just your computer) could have an IP address and could therefore be controlled via the web.

Hell, one day you might want to be able to set the temp. on your oven from work before you leave so dinner is ready when you get home! LOL.

http://www.ipv6.org/

This explains more about the IP addressing problem and the IPv6 solution to it.

As for bandwidth, hard drive space, etc. I'd say we are virtually unlimited. Because we can just 'manufacture' more. So nothing is really stopping the Internet from virtually unlimited expansion. Ultimately the only constraint is IP. Everything else we can just build bigger, better, faster and more of!

http://www.ipv6forum.com/

Try this one instead. I think the other one might not work right.

All these things don't really give much stuff to write about though.

Any ideas on how to have a slightly different interpretation of the term "full" so we can write about something else?

Maybe "full" as in...gets too overcrowded with spam and advertising that no more useful content is added/updated?

My Ride
    335i

That's the real problem with this assignment:

What does "full" mean?

Does it mean that there will be so many people online that the bandwidth problem will make using the internet obsolete?

Does it mean what "Z_Fan" explained above, about having too many IP addresses?

Does it mean that there will no longer be any room to build servers and such?

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    Each machine requires an IP address. If you look at the original IP addressing scheme, you can easily determine the number of available IP addresses. Based on the maximum of 256 x 256 x 256 x 256 less the reserved ones, as well as the ones that simply can't be used. It's hard to calculate exactly, because there are so many subnets that are being used, more IP's get lost in the mix of subnetting. So the TRUE number of available IP is less than the theoretical number of IP.
    I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean, but are you saying that the theoretical # of possible IP addresses under the present system is 256x256x256x256=4,294,967,296 - just over 4billion??

And can you please try and explain the initiative that is being taken by the guys at IPV6, and the feasibility of such plan?

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

What the fuck? Are you in GNST301?! Do your own homework!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

But, it's about 4 billion devices available under the current scheme. Which seems like a lot, but really it's not. Especially when we live in a world where soon your toaster, microwave, stove, etc will all get their own IP!
    Yes, each of those items would get an IP, but not in public space. It'd be in private IP space, such as 192.168.1.0. And even IF you need to have your toaster on the internet, it's irresponsible to use up an entire IP just for one port that your toaster needs. That's why most NAT routers nowadays have built in port forwarding, to allow your single public IP address to open up 1 port for that toaster.

Besides, you don't want people hacking into your toaster or Microwave!

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rage2

Besides, you don't want people hacking into your toaster or Microwave!

I'd be pissed if they Hacked it and burnt my toast, and under-reheated my food, wouldn't you?
    Travel

Hell, one day you might want to be able to set the temp. on your oven from work before you leave so dinner is ready when you get home! LOL.
    This can already be done.
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

thats what ipv6 n subnettin is for
    so u wont run out of ip address
    Last edited by gwkwan; 02-08-2004 at 07:25 PM.

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

Originally posted by gwkwan
    thats what ipv6 n subnettin is for
    so u wont run out of ip address
    subnetting is for breaking the entire address space down into managable chunks, it has nothing to do with more effectively using IP addresses....if anything it is inefficient.

IPV6 is a replacement for the current IP scheme (which is called IPv4)....the current one uses 4 bytes per address (255 being the largest number that can be held in a single byte) in the form 255.255.255.255....the new scheme uses 16 bytes per address, in the form FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF (this is in hex, obviously)....so thats 4B^4 unique addresses.....as you can see this is a HUGE address space, large enough to keep us in addresses for a long-ass time, and when it does run out, it will just be replaced by another addressing scheme with an even larger address space.....so no, the internet will not/can not get full.

Can everyone who replied reply again in a post that is 5 pages double spaced...thank you.