Quantcast
Toronto shooting -> 2 dead, over 19 injured - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toronto shooting -> 2 dead, over 19 injured

My Ride
    V167

Default Toronto shooting -> 2 dead, over 19 injured

Wow. Infant and a 12 year old were among those injured.

Two dead, infant among 19 others injured in Scarborough shooting
    By Kim Mackrael
    Police Chief Bill Blair describes shooting as 'worst incident of gun violence in my memory'

Two people are dead and at least 19 others have been injured after a shooting in Scarborough Monday night.

Chief Bill Blair said the shots broke out at a large party at 193 Danzig Street at about 10:40 p.m.

"An altercation broke out among some individuals, [and] there was an exchange of gunfire," he said.

A visibly shaken Chief Blair confirmed that two people were dead and at least 19 had been injured by gunfire.

"There were also a number of other persons that were injured as people ran from the area," he said.

Chief Blair called it the most serious crime of its kind that has ever taken place in Toronto.

"This is not only unprecedented in Toronto, but I've been a cop for 35 years and this is the worst incident of gun violence in my memory anywhere in North America," he said.

One of the two dead was a young teenage girl, Chief Blair said. Her family has not yet been notified.

The other person who was killed was a man who was close to 20 years old.

An infant was injured, he said, but added he has been told the injuries were not life threatening.

Police have a "person of interest" in custody, Chief Blair said.

He said it appears the shooting was a dispute. Members of the Toronto Police guns and gangs unit were on the scene, he said.

One man who said he knew someone injured at the scene described the event as a typical block party

"It's got to stop, there's no need for it," said Leighton Robinson.

Constable Wendy Drummond said the ages of the those injured in the shooting ranged from "very young to mid-twenties."

An EMS official said those who were injured were transported to hospitals in downtown Toronto and Scarborough.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Heard about this last night from some contacts in the area....

They said while they've lived there for a long time and yeah it's not the best of "hoods"....to see something like this go down blows their minds...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Heard about this last night from some contacts in the area....

They said while they've lived there for a long time and yeah it's not the best of "hoods"....to see something like this go down blows their minds...
    Scarborough = our Forest Lawn.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

It should be simple. People responsible for such things that are not citizens of this country should be immediately removed and not allowed back, ever. People responsible for such things that are citizens of this country should actually have penalties to face.

"Should" be simple. God damn bleeding heart Liberal assholes have, and continue to, destroy this country with their pussy-handed approaches to real crime.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    is wild

It should be simple. People responsible for such things that are not citizens of this country should be immediately removed and not allowed back, ever. People responsible for such things that are citizens of this country should actually have penalties to face.

"Should" be simple. God damn bleeding heart Liberal assholes have, and continue to, destroy this country with their pussy-handed approaches to real crime.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Due process works both ways.

But border services seems to be on Reynolds' case in a hurry:
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/C.../19994786.html

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Xtrema

I've spent a lot of time in Scarborough and I never thought it was that bad. I think it was more the scale. You have to remember shootings in a city the size of Toronto and including the GTA, (while I am not condoning it) are "common"....but to have something of this magnitude...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

Due process works both ways.
    That's a moot point when looking at the end result.

I would propose that the lack of any real consequence to actions like this are the real issue at the end of the day. Mandatory minimums are a joke, they are constantly pled away. Sentences aren't harsh, even for repeat offenders. Our criminal sentencing system is laughable at best in my opinion. This didn't happen overnight, it's slowly eroded away and only getting worse.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Lol Forest Lawn isnt shit compared to Scarborough. One bad ass neighbourhood man.

I seen some ugly stuff in all the times I've visited Toronto and passed through there.

That's a moot point when looking at the end result.

I would propose that the lack of any real consequence to actions like this are the real issue at the end of the day. Mandatory minimums are a joke, they are constantly pled away. Sentences aren't harsh, even for repeat offenders. Our criminal sentencing system is laughable at best in my opinion. This didn't happen overnight, it's slowly eroded away and only getting worse.
    I read your sort of views (not being critical here) rather often in various newspapers in Canada. Just wondering if you can name two or three countries where these sorts of crimes (criminal activity) are actually handled in a manner you agree with? Other than N. Korea, Iraq, Iran, etc, which would all be very radical. In "normal" countries would be my interest.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Google street view shows a pretty average street, decent looking houses, middle class or slightly upper.

Wonder what sort of guns were used. The article mentioned 'spraying' bullets so I wonder if they had full auto rifles.

Don't these bad guys know that it's illegal to shoot a gun within city limits outside of a range! Somehow that law written on a piece of paper was unable to stop this crime, damn!
    Maybe if the law is re-written to be in all CAPS or BOLD it will be more effective in preventing criminals from doing deadly actions.

They should put signs up on that street reminding people that it's illegal to shoot guns in public.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-17-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Google street view shows a pretty average street, decent looking houses, middle class or slightly upper.

Wonder what sort of guns were used. The article mentioned 'spraying' bullets so I wonder if they had full auto rifles.

Don't these bad guys know that it's illegal to shoot a gun within city limits outside of a range! Somehow that law written on a piece of paper was unable to stop this crime, damn!
    Maybe if the law is re-written to be in all CAPS or BOLD it will be more effective in preventing criminals from doing deadly actions.

They should put signs up on that street reminding people that it's illegal to shoot guns in public.
    Are you making any sort of point whatsoever in your ramble? I think i'd find one quicker in a round room full of tennis balls than in your post.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    I read your sort of views (not being critical here) rather often in various newspapers in Canada. Just wondering if you can name two or three countries where these sorts of crimes (criminal activity) are actually handled in a manner you agree with? Other than N. Korea, Iraq, Iran, etc, which would all be very radical. In "normal" countries would be my interest.
    That doesn't make it right though, does it? Why, for certain crimes (gun crimes, pedophilia, serial repeat violent offenders for example), can there not be mandatory minimums that just are NOT up for debate? That can't be bargained and pleaded down to slaps on the wrist? After due process has run its course and incontrovertible guilt is established, why do these people deserve a break?

A select percentage of people will do what they will regardless of the risk of punishment but for a large majority of these faggots, I think the GUARANTEED loss of 10-20 years of your freedom would make them check themselves. When you know that odds are you'll get away with minimal repercussions, where's the incentive to not do it?
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 07-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    05 Civic

Are you making any sort of point whatsoever in your ramble? I think i'd find one quicker in a round room full of tennis balls than in your post.
    You think you would realize by now that the majority Model's posts are simply to troll I tune into these threads to see the hilariousness that ensues with his posts.

In terms of the punishment argument, if I had it my way, the offenders of crimes such as these would be exiled to a remote island, where they can fend for themselves and battle it out. I could care less about people like this, and think our society would benefit much more by getting rid of these people, rather than using tax dollars to feed and shelter them, all while they learn more about the life of crime (aka jail). Yes, there are many, many flaws to this, which is why it will never be implemented.

This didn't happen overnight, it's slowly eroded away and only getting worse.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "only getting worse", I'm assuming to mean violent crime or homicides. However is you look at statistics, it is not getting worse, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../11561-eng.htm .

If this is what you are referring to, your argument is flawed, violent crime is not going up, that is a misconception, media reporting of violence is going up and the increase in public conciousness of it.

Secondly your argument on deterrence rests on your own beliefs and what you think is logical, however deterrence has proven to be a failure in most cases (see the United States). You are making an assumption here that people who commit such crimes are logically making decisions, and weighing the pros versus cons.

Do you think they were logically thinking when they were shooting up a bbq with kids and babies?. Obviously they were not, so why would they logically be thinking about how they could possibly face 10-20 years in jail.
    Last edited by gatorade; 07-17-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

I'm referring to the dilution of our laws, not the occurrence of crime. It is, seemingly, easier and easier to get away with more and more with no real consequence. I see it around me, with people I know/have known, defended by lawyers I know. It's almost laughable how easily you can deal away criminal activity with prosecutors just so they don't have to bother going to court.

Maybe it isn't verifiably worse now than ten or fifteen years ago, maybe I'm just more aware of it.

If deterence isn't the answer (well, there is no complete perfect answer), you surely can at least admit that what we have now is far from perfect.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

That I agree with, as long as you have a good lawyer, and they can break down the crowns evidence, or find problems with the behaviour of the police you can get off. But this is the nature of our justice system, innocent until proven guilty, and rule of law.

One thing I need to point out, is that you also have lawyers who are former officers or rcmp themselves, so they have the experience and ability get people off. Former police Silverberg works at a law office in Calgary now, I'm sure her experience has helped her colleagues in defending clients.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Stop pickin' on me JRS!
    It was just a ramble..
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride

Stop pickin' on me JRS!
    It was just a ramble..
    Ok! Sometimes I don't know where the fuck you're going!!
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

I think there are challenges with literacy in the African community.

Just sayin'

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Weapon of choice in Toronto (9mm beretta staggered clip 22 rounds)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast