Quantcast
Need advice on home audio setup - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Need advice on home audio setup

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Can you biamp that RXV1000? That would give a little more juice if you're just running the 2 channels. And are you running a sub?
    my rxv1000 does not have assignable surround to the front feature.

the only thing that it has is that it has output main A and out put main B.

not sure if that is the same thing if I simply hook up all 4 main output into two speakers.

also i only live in a town home with 1100 sqf. the bass on the Tia9 is already more than enough so I do not require more sub.

my yamaha does have pre-outs on main. does anyone know if that is all it matters if I want to hook them up to external amps? since even preout carry some sort of spec and ohm rating. not sure if the age of the unit would cause any problem for buying today's ss amps.

im more worry about damaging my speakers if my avr is under powered.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

The reason I ask if you're running a sub is because usually a sub crossover is around 80Hz. If you have a sub, the speaker only has to play above 80Hz and it uses significantly less power than if you're running it full-range. This is also the reason many people opt for a very high quality pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub rather than big tower speakers. Most receivers have a "small" and "large" speaker mode as well which helps with that.

I very much doubt you will damage those speakers with a RXV1000 regardless.

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Most receivers have a "small" and "large" speaker mode as well which helps with that.

I very much doubt you will damage those speakers with a RXV1000 regardless.
    so i should set my avr to large speakers correct?

right now I have my previous polk t600 that I could use for my rear. If my yamaha rxv1000 is more than capable, I should not have any issue running full surround with them?

i keep getting the notion that if I just run stereo mode. it will not drawn down the power / ch
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by SilverRex
    the only thing that it has is that it has output main A and out put main B.

not sure if that is the same thing if I simply hook up all 4 main output into two speakers.
    That's for multi-room setups or running an extra set of speakers. When you enable both A & B at the same time, you will effectively half the power output to each as the amp will double the impedance of it's outputs to compensate for the extra power demand.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by SilverRex

so i should set my avr to large speakers correct?

right now I have my previous polk t600 that I could use for my rear. If my yamaha rxv1000 is more than capable, I should not have any issue running full surround with them?

i keep getting the notion that if I just run stereo mode. it will not drawn down the power / ch
    Yes, set it to large or sometimes called "full" if you have the option with no sub.

Most receivers are rated at 1 or 2 channels driven when you read that it has "150 watts per channel" or whatever, which is misleading. If you use all 5, that amp will be sending less power to the fronts. According to Sound&Vision mag, the RXV 1000 drops to 78 wpc when all 5 channels are used, which is actually better than most. In it's day that receiver was quite good (and still is).

I'd go ahead and use your surround speakers if you want. I doubt you'll be taxing the amp too badly. If you aren't having to really crank it up to get a decent volume, it should be just fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3