Quantcast
Shaw is pissing me off. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Shaw is pissing me off.

My Ride
    G37X

^Me right now...waiting for a crackbook cable off ebay to hook it up to the TV

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Asides from students, who watches netflix on a pc?
    pc ran home theater.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Watching Netflix on PC can have advantages. It depends on what you're using to stream it.

Example - the Netflix APP with Win8 allows you to see up to 5800kps bit rate, which is Netflix's "Super HD" - using standard browser Netflix is limited to 3000 kps bit rate.

You can hit cnrl alt+shft+d or a together and see your bit rate in regular browser Netflix if it is playing in windowed mode, or with the APP in Win8 in full view mode.

I use home theater PC's on both my screens with WIN8 Netflix app in order to get the higher 5800 bitrate and better picture. Using Unblock-US opens up the pairings somehow, and even though Shaw here in SK at 100mbs service claims that I shouldn't be getting 5800 rate due to location, when I use unblock, it does. We just got Sasktel Fiber 260mb installed last week, I haven't tried it with that, as the TV's are all hooked up to the Shaw internet/HTPC deal.

I know that PS3 streaming Netflix often will come through in Super HD 5800 if you're using unblock-us with it. I'm just not sure what the controls are to bring up the control windows, I'm sure google will know.,

I found Shaw in Calgary for years to be a giant PITA most of the time, constant ping time issues and bandwidth problems. In SK so far it's been fantastic, every single tiny problem fixed within 2 minutes of getting a rep on the phone, and 100mbit maxes out on all bandwidth tests, and ping times have been low and consistent. This new Sasktel Fiber though....god, it's like internet heaven, 260 Fiber is a gamers dream here, and price isn't all that bad, although the contractors who installed it were goofs.

I called in to disconnect my cable with Shaw today, I just don't watch TV and they told me about a program called Show Me or something and it apparently is mostly American shit and only like 1/3 Canadian shit or something and I think $8/month. You don't even need internet but running it off internet is an option if you don't have tv I guess.

My Ride

I'm just going to leave this here...

Edit: I fail at tags

My Ride
    Grimace

That is pretty neat, but if it is through rogers/shaw, why only past season episodes, it doesn't sound as if the tv episodes are current even with all of the specialty channels they both own.

My Ride
    B8 Avant S-line

I just moved into a new home in mount pleasant, and my builder gave me 1 year of free shaw interent, phone and TV.

However, the saturation with shaw's internet is TERRIBLE. I upgraded to the 25Mbps service, and I am only getting 2-3 Mbps in the evenings. I've since downgraded back to the 10Mbps, but I can barely stream netflix in HD or youtube in HD with this crappy speeds.

I've had a service guy come take a look, and he says it's just saturation and there's nothing they can do until they add a new node.... which they have no idea when will happen.

Even though it's free, I'm thinking to switch back to Telus optik. I can't handle 2 Mbps!! It's driving me crazy

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If there's saturation in your node, you're really SOL. My parent's house in Kincora struggled with a saturated node for years before finally giving up last month.

Speaking with some Shaw techs, the issue is mostly to do with torrenters, and they are not allowed to cut their services for fear of social media backlash.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

^^How far do the nodes go though, I am in sage hill close enough to see kincora but never had any slow down. Is it more community based?

The torrenting thing though, isn't it just how households are using more and more bandwidth because something as simple as streaming from a few devices netflix hd and you are using quite a bit then combine that with the PS4/XBO and Steam etc. with big downloads for updates and games? A bluray rip is like 5-10gb depending on resolution while I just downloaded forza horizon 2 and it was about 40gb!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Some communities that are large enough to have multiple nodes. I'm not entirely sure how it's laid out, someone that works at Shaw can shed more light on this.

The problem is the upstream, once it's saturated download performance takes a huge hit across the board, which is why it's primarily a torrent issue. If everyone was just downloading, there's more than enough bandwidth to go around.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Ah gotcha. Maybe this why shaw limits the upstream so much, 50 down 5 up while isn't telus much higher upload?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Anyone running XBMC or Kodi as its now called?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Originally posted by Yuubah

I've had a service guy come take a look, and he says it's just saturation and there's nothing they can do

Even though it's free, I'm thinking to switch back to Telus optik. I can't handle 2 Mbps!! It's driving me crazy
    Are you having Wireless or Wired issues? If it is wireless you are going to have the same issue with Telus lol. You need to get a dual band router that broadcasts on the 5g range. also are you in a apartment downtown?
    Last edited by johnlennon; 09-30-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Originally posted by schocker
    Ah gotcha. Maybe this why shaw limits the upstream so much, 50 down 5 up while isn't telus much higher upload?
    Upstream is "typically" 10% of your Download speed.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by johnlennon

Are you having Wireless or Wired issues? If it is wireless you are going to have the same issue with Telus lol. You need to get a dual band router that broadcasts on the 5g range. also are you in a apartment downtown?
    Shaw is a shared connection with your neighbors, his connection is saturated not wireless

Originally posted by adam c

Shaw is a shared connection with your neighbors, his connection is saturated not wireless
    What are you talking about??? First off "saturation" means saturation ie: the wireless network is saturated with outside elements (Baby monitors, Wireless phones on 2.4 ghz, Bluetooth controllers, etc.). If he is not getting his 25mpbs (or whatever hes singed up for) plugged in directly to his Shaw Router, then he has a Downstream issue, not a saturation issue.

And he is not necessarily connected with his neighbor, he is connected with whoever has Shaw on that specific terminal in his building/street.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by rage2
    Some communities that are large enough to have multiple nodes. I'm not entirely sure how it's laid out, someone that works at Shaw can shed more light on this.

The problem is the upstream, once it's saturated download performance takes a huge hit across the board, which is why it's primarily a torrent issue. If everyone was just downloading, there's more than enough bandwidth to go around.
    While torrents do not help the issue with bandwidth problems lots of things these days use P2P sharing such as Blizzard updates, Flash Player etc.

What people have to remember is that torrents themselves are not the problem it is the facts its a P2P networking method that causes the issues.

Even Netflix uses P2P methods and can use a lot of upload bandwidth.

So between Youtube, Game Updates, Netflix and god knows what else.. Upload saturation can happen across the board on a massive scale.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Netflix does not use P2P. They have a classic CDN network for their distribution, along with ISPs hosting their entire library to bypass Internet backbone traffic.

There is no upstream traffic when streaming Netflix. They are researching P2P, but only to try to outsmart Comcast and their Netflix throttling.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4