Quantcast
Software - Creating podcasts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Software - Creating podcasts

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Software - Creating podcasts

I'm looking at preferable software to use to create a podcast. Obviously just audio of talking but also need to be able to edit things, volumes, levels, and add sound effects.

It's been awhile since I was doing any sort of audio editing and even then did very basic stuff.

The audio file should be sent to me for editing - the type I'm unsure of unfortunately at the moment. If relevant, the guys are using a Blue Yeti microphone.

Anything that comes to mind? I only used Fruity Loops and a mixing software previously.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Horse

As for recording they can use anything that will get a nice clean signal and as long as it will export a format that is recognized by your editor/DAW. A popular handheld unit with alot of podcasters is the Zoom H4N (now the H4NSP) or any other model, they have a built in mic, also have additonal mic inputs.

As for editing itself I would suggest using a DAW based system, somewhat of a steep learning curve but for simple actions there is alot of documentation.

I would suggest Reaper as it is cheap ($60 US) has a full demo(60 days full function) you can try, a bunch of good free plugins come with it and it is really picking up steam in the recording industry due to the pricing/support.

If you are using a mac garageband would work as well for you but for real control I still suggest a full DAW as you can time sig things, easy to edit, easy to back up.

http://www.reaper.fm/
    Last edited by MrSector9; 01-24-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The audio quality is not the greatest, especially when comparing their competing podcast genre. The tibre seems excessive and the background noise is not (even a little bit!) close to the 'black' you get with better done. It sounds kind of 'tingy'. I thought after the first recording things would be better as this is when they implemented the Blue Yeti but I'm hoping it's more production side of things. So with that said, I don't know if they would go for another microphone at this time but I think it's worth passing along, so thank you!

I will check out Reaper and some online tutorials. Hopefully an audio file comes my way soon to play around with this.

-----

Also, where is a good source for random sound effects or samples?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Horse

www.freesound.org

Depending on the sound it could also be where they are recording, if they are sitting side by side get them to put some pillows behind the mic to stop some of the sound reflections from the room and to deaden the sound a little.

Also if it is a USB mic it could be in the settings.

Audacity is a free recorder that might work out good for them but not something you would want to edit with.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Incredibly helpful! Thanks!

I checked out Reaper and the tutorials are already very helpful. Like eliminating or reducing background noise.

I think that'll be the one. The pillows is a good idea, I suspect they are setup in the dining room or something similar.
    Ultracrepidarian

Reaper is free - it says 60 day trial, i'm well passed that - you just need to wait a bit longer at the "Purchase?" screen when the software loads... though I use it so much I'm probably going to purchase it since it's excellent software

I can give you some equalization tips/tricks to clear out any back ground noises/hums when I get home
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.