Quantcast
Hitting animals with vehicle? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hitting animals with vehicle?

Rural Ontario
    Hit a family dog.....in front of the family.........in the middle of there family reunion.

Dog jetted out from a ditch onto the highway chasing a rabbit. Nothing I could of done. The family were really apologetic even though I just smoked there dog. Felt awful.

Broken fog light and cracked bumper. Couldn't bring myself to ask for them to pay fo damages haha.

My Ride
    V167

Hit a deer. Very light front end damage. This was near highway 1, on the way home from Saskatoon. Other driver in front of me warned via flashing highbeams. There were ~8 deer crossing the highway that second. That stranger saved my life.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Dave P
    Rural Ontario
    Hit a family dog.....in front of the family.........in the middle of there family reunion.

Dog jetted out from a ditch onto the highway chasing a rabbit. Nothing I could of done. The family were really apologetic even though I just smoked there dog. Felt awful.

Broken fog light and cracked bumper. Couldn't bring myself to ask for them to pay fo damages haha.
    That's easily the worst one in the thread, that sucks man.

I've hit numerous gophers over the years. One rabbit when I was at UVIC. Not a huge jackrabbit like we have here, but a fluffy bunny. They were all over the place, ppl ran them over daily. It was so sad. haha

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Ran over a snake on my mountain bike once. Ran over a rabbit with my Cavalier back in the 90s.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Totally forgot about another bird incident. Years ago I was driving by the Arbour Lake farm in the M3 Cab with my ex, there's this hawk that's been hanging out by the farm there for years. We're driving by and see it flying around. She had a bird phobia and I was joking wouldn't it be funny if it came down at you? Damn hawk must've sensed the fear in her, and sure enough it swooped down, hit the top edge of the windshield, flipped onto her head, feathers flapping on both our faces as it tried to GTFO of the situation.

I couldn't stop laughing, she was hysterical. If she's reading this, I apologize for digging this up haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I hit the ass end of a mule deer on H2 once near Edmonton, and I was doing 120km/h with my 93 k1500. Those still had steel/chrome bumpers, musta had a sore ass for a week

A couple years ago on my way to work, doing 70km/h in the city. A pidgeon out of nowhere flies in front of the (same truck). BOOM! Literally disappeared in a cloud of feathers. Facebook actually reminded me of it this week I laughed so hard when it happened, but I'm an awful person

Considering I drive anywhere from 30k to 50k kms per year, with about 10k of that towing, I'm surprised I've never hit anything else.

My Ride
    4x4

Originally posted by rage2
    Totally forgot about another bird incident.
    Damnit... I had put that out of my mind...

99ish, just inside Banff park gates at 230am +/-...

Cruising along... Poof no windshield - ruckus behind me...

Great horned owl (? It was a BIG f'ing owl!) - lesson of the decade, never roll up to the parks office with an endangered animal flapping around injured in your vehicle...

I was stuck there for like 6 hours doing paperwork. It was fan-fucking-tastic!

8 days ago I hit a deer on a highway in washington. $6k damage to bumper, fender, and door. The deer definitely did NOT make it.

Bambi shit all down the side of the truck. Goes in for repair on tuesday.

On a side note, i learned that you don't need to have a damage sticker if the accident happened out of province. Also washington's state police online reporting tool is amazing. Had a collision report in an hour.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I hit a deer with the CTS-V at about 60 km/h...hard on the brakes, shot the deer up and over the car. It got up and ran away after a while...even jumped over a pretty high fence. Couldn't drive the car because the heat exchanger and rad had lost all fluid. Total was about $12K damage.

About 6 months before that, my wife hit a deer in her GLK going about 100 km/h. Deer was dead, the GLK was drivable until we got it to the body shop, and it was about $10k of damage.

I think the Benz won for durability between the two.

I hit a coyote years ago on Highway 1 just outside of Red Deer.

It was in the morning in winter so still dark out. I didn't see him unit he was crossing the median. I hit the breaks but couldn't do much. He kept coming in to the lane I was in then stopped in the middle of the lane and looked at the car just before I hit him. Felt the front tire go over him, then the back tire, started fishtailing then did a 360 on the highway. Managed to keep in on the road and running so when I was facing the right way again, put it back in to gear and made it to Red Deer.

He hit right in the middle of the car so destroyed the radiator, bumper cover and lower support.

In my old xtrail I hit a deer going fairly fast. There were 4 on the road, I had to slam on the breaks but I hit the smallest one which still weighed about 100lbs I'm thinking. It pushed my rad towards my engine block, so much damage because everything was plastic.
    I should have written that SUV off then. The deer flew almost 50 feet and its neck was twisted around. Must have died instantly

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Considering I drive anywhere from 30k to 50k kms per year, with about 10k of that towing, I'm surprised I've never hit anything else.
    Adam - you have enough towing stories to bring out the LOL's....they just don't involve animals.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

I clipped a deer in an '87 Grand Marquis at highway speed and came away with a broken passenger side signal light. Must have hurt the poor bugger because those lights have a sharp edge on the front, like so:

That one only caused $20 damage because I was able to just go to the pick and pull yard and snag a replacement fairly easily.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Timely thread, have a bird sticking out of my grill right now

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

I did one trip out to Regina, and destroyed at least 5 birds on that trip. The most memorable one from that trip was when there was a bunch of gulls eating something on the highway. I was going around 140-150 in an old accord. The birds felt that I was coming down and started to get out of the way. There was this one fat gull that just couldn't get any momentum going and was slowly flying away in the same direction that I was going. Needless to say, it didn't get enough altitude and it bounced off my front windshield and shot up into the air. I looked back into my rear view mirror and saw it ended up going like 30 ft into the air and then spiraled down into the middle of the highway. Luckily the windshield didn't crack or break.

On the same trip coming back to Calgary, we were driving at around 10 pm and it was pitch black, and I decided to move from the fast lane to the slow lane on the highway. Not less than a minute later all I saw in the fast lane was a deer head and blood splatter everywhere (a semi must have smoked it and destroyed the rest of the body). Luckily, I didn't run over it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2