Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 70 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 70 of 987 FirstFirst ... 60 69 70 71 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 19736

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m no doctor, but we don’t actually test for viruses directly correct? Instead what we test for is antibodies for said virus?

It’s pretty hard to definitively know if you have been reinfected or just still have antibodies in your system and died of some other respiratory illness after, secondary infections are pretty common from the flu since it beats you down so much.

Viruses are so scary in general because we really haven’t figured out a great way to treat them in hundreds of years of modern medicine.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Source?
    No confirmation. As in nobody knows how long immunity lasts if any.

That's why UK labs are now paying $4000 for volunteers to be infected so they can study it.

So far there are many cases where people are tested positive again after recovery and discharged. So nobody really know what that means.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...positive-again

They were released after being getting a negative result in a reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test – the most commonly used when testing for infection – but then tested positive again days or even weeks later.
    So we are not talking about antibody. It's the same test. Negative upon discharge, but positive again days later. So either its human error or we don't understand how any of these works.

Listening to Dr. Raj this morning and his reaction to it is definitely less calm than last week. Given lack of tests, he thinks the death rate is more like 1% but what seems to worries him is that 25% infected requires hospitalization and that seems to overwhelm medical systems all over the world right now and how this separates from common flu.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-10-2020 at 09:20 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Source?
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...after-recovery

There were a bunch of articles on it but it's all buried now. From what I remember, only a small # of people showed this.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    But then you are asking the health care system to put a dollar value on a death, and that's just a rabbit hole.
    Believe they're called actuarial tables. And there's that whole insurance /legal world that works around the costs of accidents/incidents and what the cost of something unexpected occuring.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Believe they're called actuarial tables. And there's that whole insurance /legal world that works around the costs of accidents/incidents and what the cost of something unexpected occuring.
    Right...
    But it's different for people who spend every day working with money to say AndyL is worth $10million
    vs for a hospital to say OK AndyL go away, and if you die then i'm sorry your family doesn't need you anyways and here's $10million
    Last edited by jwslam; 03-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

This is a handy tool. Lets you see graphically how each country is doing.

Hint: Not great.

https://mackuba.eu/corona/

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

There was one particular case in China that was a repeat. Heard it on the radio this morning, but not very common. This is just like the flu virus that we get mutations of it every year. This will continue to mutate. The speculation is that this may be as permanent as the flu is moving forward.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    There was one particular case in China that was a repeat. Heard it on the radio this morning, but not very common. This is just like the flu virus that we get mutations of it every year. This will continue to mutate. The speculation is that this may be as permanent as the flu is moving forward.
    There are plenty of retested positives. Only 1 died after recovered and discharged and they chalked that up as anomaly (human error) for now.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I’m no doctor, but we don’t actually test for viruses directly correct? Instead what we test for is antibodies for said virus?

It’s pretty hard to definitively know if you have been reinfected or just still have antibodies in your system and died of some other respiratory illness after, secondary infections are pretty common from the flu since it beats you down so much.

Viruses are so scary in general because we really haven’t figured out a great way to treat them in hundreds of years of modern medicine.
    The test for antibodies/antigens is called an antigen test. That does not exist for this virus at the moment.
    Rather, they use a PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test for presence of the virus in your system.

A lot of the tests have a high percentage of false negatives, so that's why they do multiple tests and require confirmations from the labs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dexta View Post
    Once the death toll reaches the millions there will be plenty of free cars and homes around. Just like an episode of the walking dead, help yourself. If anyone gives you grief just hit them in the head with a shovel.
    I don't have a shovel, so I will be forced to decapitate them with my hockey stick.

-worried 69coupe
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 03-10-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    My kids daycare emailed us last night stating that a parent was in contact with a confirmed covid-19 patient at work. The parent and child are in self quarantine at the moment, it’s only a matter of time before we get a cluster in Calgary.
    Aspen has fallen!!!

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Right...
    But it's different for people who spend every day working with money to say AndyL is worth $10million
    vs for a hospital to say OK AndyL go away, and if you die then i'm sorry your family doesn't need you anyways and here's $10million
    This was related to a discussion about 100% of our EMS being tied up after triage before seeing a doctor. Somehow EMS feels responsible until handing over to doctor - rather than tossing them to the waiting room.

So the question was if we did kick them to the waiting room to sit and wait... How much more does that cost us than the few minimal mistakes would cost us of people dieing in the waiting room.

We've hit this wierd dual responsibility scenario. EMS won't release until reporting to doctor. And this becomes super important today at the start of an epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This is my only fear. I haven't seen my grandfather in 5 years, and have planned a trip to Ontario this summer for his birthday. If it gets loose in his retirement home I doubt I'll see him again, alive, as he has lung problems as it is.
    I know a few people who have parents/grandparents in this exact situation, and they refuse to get the flu shot but still visit them in the nursing homes - it honestly blows my mind. I know there isn't a shot for Caronavirus for another year or so, but same idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    According to Facebook someone infected came to one of the clinics near aspen and now they have shut down the clinic for the next couple of days. The post wouldn’t say which clinic however. I think community spread is already here.
    With Aspen being so close to everything, it's only a matter of time now until the entire city is infected.

My Ride
    4x4

Today at the chuckle hut:
    Name:  FB_IMG_1583855694141.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1583855683485.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  52.4 KB

Everyone I have spoken with -- and it has been many -- who have picked up the virus, they seem to have similar symptoms,” he said. “About equal to a very, very minor cold
    - quote from an actual patient that was interviewed

With 80% of people (percentage stated in an article posted a page or two back from Australia) only ever experiencing these minor symptoms, I wonder how many cases will never be recorded? Without mass testing, there is also a good chance current infections are already much higher, as a lot of people don't feel they need to get tested, or have already recovered from the virus thinking they just had a mild cold.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

It's going to get really tricky when half the hospital staff is off sick with this, although knowing AHS they'll make them work sick and spread the virus even more.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    It's going to get really tricky when half the hospital staff is off sick with this, although knowing AHS they'll make them work sick and spread the virus even more.
    That is what is happening in infected regions across the world. Most health care professionals have a strong sense of duty. It's hard not to with people crying and begging for access.

So far everyone I have seen wearing a mask (presumably to protect themselves) is not also wearing goggles, so it's useless. The people hording N95 masks that probably don't fit them also don't seem to understand this.

I also saw a guy at my gym yesterday working out in latex gloves

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Nurses who get sick are going to be sent home to self quarantine with sick pay. That is the current plan.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Nurses who get sick are going to be sent home to self quarantine with sick pay. That is the current plan.
    I hope the plan and what actually happens is the same thing in the end. Man, my wife sure has me cynical towards AHS

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Aspen has fallen!!!
    Being close to everything has a cost. Airdrie is probably next.

face shield ftw (add mask)

Name:  22R72-60.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  37.2 KB

Page 70 of 987 FirstFirst ... 60 69 70 71 80 ... LastLast