Quantcast
how to stop my puppy from barking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to stop my puppy from barking

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

Default how to stop my puppy from barking

I recently got a puppy 1.5 months ago. Shes a cute little thing and I love her alot the problem is all she does is bark when I leave the apartment...you can hear her all the way on the bottom floor and my apartment is on the third. I have tried locking her in the bedroom...leaving the radio on...nothing works...you can only get so mad at them but they forget and start barking five minutes later.One neighbour has complained and its very embaressing. I hate to have to give her away, but its coming down to that point that if she doesnt stop...she will have to go to a new home. I cannot move because I'm stuck on a lease which doesnt end until December. Does any one have any suggestions?

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

well....if it's an option, get another one....they'll play with each other instead of sitting around missing you....

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

lol...I don't think that will be too good...plus I don't think the landlord would fly for me having two dogs...I have a cat but the dog doesn't seem to notice her...is there something else I could so besides purchasing another dog?Thanks for the info anyways redec

They have those bark activated shock collers if you want to go to the extreme. The dogs will learn VERY fast not to bark. But that is kinda mean.

It is hard to teach a dog not to bark when you are not home. The best thing i can suggest is when you are home, every time she barks give her a quick snap with a rolled up newspaper. Then she will learn that barking for nothing it bad. Imediatly after scold her and look angry. Dogs are not stupid they can tell that you are mad and know when they have done something wrong.

When my dog shits inside, i will come home and he wont greet me at the door because he knows he shit inside.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It took about a month to train my dogs not to bark. Bringing another dog in wont help, they'll bark at each other when they play.

What I did was hold her mouth shut, then walked away. When she barked, I walk back right away, hold the mouth again, then yelled NO really loud (assuming you use that to train them not to do something). I held her mouth till she started wimpering. Then leave the room again, repeat. After a few mins of silence, I'll praise her, and give her treats.

Kept repeating it, slowly waiting longer and longer between your judgement of success. Eventually, when you leave, the dog wont bark, just patiently waiting for your return with the treats.

The only problem I have now is that one dog has learned the "speak" command and bark on command... the other dog is still to scared to bark in front of me (unless there's something really important, like another dog haha).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

My dog likes to poop in inconspicous areas too..like in an open closet...or behind the couch...she only does it once in a while...I guess I will try the newspaper thing and hopefully she learns...

You have to train your dog to be independent and it won't be lonely. If you don't have a kennel for it, buy one. Then put the dog in it ( it will probably whine or bark) and sit with it talking to it and calming it down. Leave the dog in the kennel until it calms down. At that point reward it by letting it out. Do this everyday many times a day and keep making it stay in the kennel by itself for longer periods of time. The more you get the dog accustomed to be alone and in the kennel the sooner the dog will become more self confident if you will and stop barking when its alone.

If you don't have the time or the energy to put the above work into your dog you shouldn't have one.

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

The kennel thing never worked...We did it for the first month and always she still just barked...plus I don't really think confining her like that for 9 hours a day is fair...I think i will just try Rage2's idea for now...maybe it will work...plus she is a cocker spaniel and they are known for barking more than most dogs...she's paper trained so I don't mind her beng out of her kennel..it's just the barking i hate

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Kennelling is not a bad idea at all (as long as it's less than 8 hrs a day). Dogs actually enjoy some alone time, and don't mind the kennel at all. Hell, my dogs, when they get tired, walk to the kennel and take their naps there half the time.

When the wife and I both get ready to go somewhere, the dogs run to the kennel and wait for us to shut the gate.

As for barking in the kennel, put the kennel beside your bed. Start there, let her sleep beside you in the kennel at night to get used to the idea. Then slowly move it further and further away...

Teaching a dog is like tricking a dumb kid... just gotta make small changes till you get your desired result, and they won't notice a thing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

i did the spray bottle... everytime he barked i would spray something bitter or spicy in his mouth. that worked really well..took about less than a week, but u have to catch them while they r barking

grab their mouth open it and spray the stuff in once...make sure its edible stuff...

My Ride
    91 MR2 turbo

my dog barks when i leave and enter the house, but then he jsut goes right to sleep after 5 min. he use to bark like crazy when i leave the house too, but then he just stops after like 5 min. we got the cat abotu the same time we had the dog, so i guess he had a friend. i guess that explains the reason why he acts like a cat all the time. HAAHAHAH

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

give er a good kick to the ribs
    just kidding, Rage2's ides seems like a good aproach

My Ride
    Dakota

You can buy a specail collar that emits a high pitched sound everytime your dog barks, my friends have one & it seems to work

wish i could give u advice but my deaf puppy doesnt bark much coz she cant even hear herself
    then the older poodle does the same as your dog, he howls the whole time were gone...never stops, but then again, we live in a house with neighbors rather far away so its a different story...
    but as far as the kennel thing, that sounds like the best approach to it i think...if no success, try the spray bottle...even a little ids spray gun works, just spray the dog with water when it barks, usually reacts to it...thats how we trained our first dog to stop craping in the house :P

My Ride
    E30325is

get a pop can , and put like 10 pennies in it, and tape it up
    and when it barks throw the can near the dog to scare it. the dog will associate the scary noise with the barking , and will eventually stop barking

puppys will bark, just gotta use the word "NO" lots.

i heard on the radio today that there is a cd coming out with it has sounds of like waterfalls and soothing music that is apparently suppose to stop a dog from barking.

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

Default how is it going

hey this post has been up for a bit now. Hows the progression with the barking?

The pennies in a can works to. Did it. Just dont go over to him/her everytime they bark or they will do it to have you come over and see them if they are in the kennel, or sectioned off spot.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

i went to walmart and got a 5 dollar muzzle...whenever he barked i pout it on him..now if he barks i shgow him it and he stops....try that

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

There are also come collars that give a spray of an odour dogs don't like to their face each time they back. Conditioning method; it worked ok on my friend's dog.

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

she has stopped barking quite alot...whenever she does we give her a firm NO...and then shes quiet. And before we leave we give her either one of her denta bones or some vegetables to keep her occupied....even when we do that before we go check the mail we come back and she is quiet....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast