Quantcast
Foreign buyers to Calgary next? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign buyers to Calgary next?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by killramos
    Why buy houses when you can buy oil companies.
    Encana looks mighty cheap right now lol.

I can see them buying The Bow. I heard it's a ghost town nowadays.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not sure the bow even counts as an asset anymore. Then again neither do most oil companies...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Must hurt to pay the property tax on the bow right now. Gotta keep that money going though, it's funding the majority of East Village and Victoria Park developments haha. From the library to the new arena.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're the 3rd most desirable country and global warming will have to hit pretty hard before foreign investors pony up cash to buy in a city where its practically winter 8 months out of the year. Most of us probably wouldn't be living here if it weren't for oil. We'll never be a desirable destination for investors or vacation homes. China's economic bubble is more likely to burst than Calgary homes seeing any kind of significant bump from foreign investment.

My Ride
    G6

Not sure why people would see foreign investment as a good thing. Look at Toronto and Vancouver. All it did was price us out of the market. I get that foreign investment can increase house values, but really, where you gonna live? Are you gonna time the market perfect to sell your house at the peek? Doubt it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Feruk
    Not sure why people would see foreign investment as a good thing. Look at Toronto and Vancouver. All it did was price us out of the market. I get that foreign investment can increase house values, but really, where you gonna live? Are you gonna time the market perfect to sell your house at the peek? Doubt it.
    It's a good thing if you have multiple investment properties alongside a primary residence. Free money haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's a good thing for the people already in the top 1%.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G37X

Very short sighted imo. Unless you're just getting out of the market entirely. What's with this whole "cash" buyer line I always hear. Are they carrying Hermes bags full of hundreds?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    It's a good thing for the people already in the top 1%.
    It's also a neutral/good thing for the people that already own/mortgage their primary residence. Free money (via HELOC). It's also a good thing for old people, reverse mortgage the home/cash out and enjoy life elsewhere.

It just sucks for people not buying, or renting and not planning on buying. There's enough signs anyways when this might happen here, so if you're paying attention, buy something instead of renting and ride the rollercoaster with other homeowners and reap the benefits. Pretty much anyone that DGAF about their personal finances and wealth gets owned.
    Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Very short sighted imo. Unless you're just getting out of the market entirely. What's with this whole "cash" buyer line I always hear. Are they carrying Hermes bags full of hundreds?
    It sounds better than certified cheque buyers.

Originally posted by rage2

It just sucks for people not buying, or renting and not planning on buying. There's enough signs anyways when this might happen here, so if you're paying attention, buy something instead of renting and ride the rollercoaster with other homeowners and reap the benefits.
    - People shouldn't be buying homes because FOMO. It's not a sensible plan and it's what leads to bubbles.

- Interest rates have bottomed out on a 30 year cycle. We're likely to see interest slowly increase perhaps for the rest of our working lives which puts a cap on home prices.

- Calgary is never going to be a desirable place to buy for the majority of foreign investors.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by Manhattan

- Calgary is never going to be a desirable place to buy for the majority of foreign investors.
    Unless Oil has one last boom

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cash =/= paper bills
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by killramos
    Cash =/= paper bills
    Sure, but how does one even buy property with cash? Doesn't any amount over 10 K get put through some pretty serious investigation? Of course, I'm sure all of that mainland money is legit.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by Manhattan

- People shouldn't be buying homes because FOMO. It's not a sensible plan and it's what leads to bubbles.

- Interest rates have bottomed out on a 30 year cycle. We're likely to see interest slowly increase perhaps for the rest of our working lives which puts a cap on home prices.

I don't see any material increase in interest rates for the foreseeable future. But then again, predicting interest rates is virtually impossible.

Originally posted by rage2

It's a good thing if you have multiple investment properties alongside a primary residence. Free money haha.
    This! Im not greedy so i dont want the whole frenzy that Van an TO got so id be happy with 50% of that craze lol

The boom in Van and TO has pretty much fucked over the young generation or anyone else renting for that matter. I dont see how anyone can buy unless you have major financial help from parents

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sure, but how does one even buy property with cash? Doesn't any amount over 10 K get put through some pretty serious investigation? Of course, I'm sure all of that mainland money is legit.
    You write a certified check.

Any deposits over $10k, especially actual cash deposits, does get red flagged to CRA though. Actual cash deposits require filling out forms, which is a bit of a PITA. Only really suspicious shit gets investigated, I'm sure CRA has a solid filtering process to handle it.

If you own a bar and routinely deposit >$10k in cash, or for those that get more than $10k per paycheck, nothing happens at all.

If you sell a house you own outright, and you deposit a $600k cheque, it'll get red flagged as well, but again, nothing will happen.

When you get audited however, all these red flags are in the history and believe me, they will go through each one haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you own multiple, you can cash out.

If you own just primary, you can look into cashing out by downsizing.

Unfortunately for Calgary, real estate here isn't priced like international cities so the cashing out opportunity is limited. I have many relatives are now actively looking at cashing out Toronto or Vancouver and move into Calgary and be mortgage free and have a bunch of cash on hand. When you look average price of $1.3M in TO and Vancouver, it's not hard to buy something in Calgary for $500K and pocket the $800K difference.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

On the commercial side the foreign money is already shifting from van to here... it's only a matter of time

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Smart money is here right now due to the bust - whether that's rich orientals or other folks looking to snap up decent homes - that's one reason why house prices haven't fallen very much. Mortgage defaults are also not super high either right now.

Originally posted by flipstah

Encana looks mighty cheap right now lol.

I can see them buying The Bow. I heard it's a ghost town nowadays.
    Encana doesn't own The Bow.

H&R REIT does.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast