Quantcast
Needing a new workstation, looking for recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Needing a new workstation, looking for recommendations

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Default Needing a new workstation, looking for recommendations

My old tower is slowly dying (7 years old) and Ive been cleared for an upgrade.

It will be used for mainly website maintenance and some basic graphic design via photoshop.

I currently have two 24" monitors running which is very helpful for productivity, but ive also heard good things about single ultra wide curved screens too.

I just dont overly have a clue about computers/hardware necessities.

Any recommendations would be helpful. (Trying to keep it under $3k)
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

For that budget, you could go to mem ex or a local IT guy and ask them to put together a really nice rig w/4k monitor. Curved screens look nice but dont work for all people.

I would wait for Skylake-X (August) and/or to see what Ryzen (March) does to Intel pricing but if you need a workstation right now this is pretty much exactly what I would get:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ChxLjc

Adjustments would be made depending on whether or not you played games, and depending on whether or not the graphics design processes you use are multi-threaded or if they just benefit from maximum GHz.

That PC may be overkill though depending on your definition of "basic" graphics design. You could take $500 or so off that if you are a light user and you'd probably never tell the difference.

Example of cheaper build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2RbnwV

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Is August when the latest tech is released, with hopefully this year's tech going on sale?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know if I'm thinking wrong, but for your use, two monitors would be better than a huge widescreen, since you can have each one dedicated to a specific task. That's how I use my computer anyway.

And yeah, for that price you can have a very kickass setup. And considering your needs don't sound too extreme, you could probably spend less and still be very happy.

Shit, something like this would be outstanding, and even with full 4 year IPR warranty, it's under your price:
    V_BT3000I Business PC w/ Core i7-6800K, 16GB DDR4-2400, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Quadro K620, Windows 10 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

Originally posted by msommers
    Is August when the latest tech is released, with hopefully this year's tech going on sale?
    August will be the announcement of Skylake-X at Gamescom. Kaby-X will probably come at the same time but the Kaby stuff will still be limited to 4 cores.

As for price - Haswell-E stuff is still exactly the same price as Broadwell-E, so it doesn't appear the older tech gets much of a discount.

If anything I think Ryzen will force Intel's prices down - early benchmarks look promising and they are 1/2 - 1/3 the price.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Shit, something like this would be outstanding, and even with full 4 year IPR warranty, it's under your price:
    V_BT3000I Business PC w/ Core i7-6800K, 16GB DDR4-2400, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Quadro K620, Windows 10 Pro
    That PC looks overpriced to me. The same if not slightly better build on PCPartpicker comes in at ~$1780, which Memex themselves would beat by 10% of the difference:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pg7DM8

Some other criticisms:
    - Crappy generic PSU (One area you don't want to cheap out on)
    - Generic case without sound deadening
    - Build has dual channel RAM configuration but the platform supports quad channel
    - Budget SSD with TLC NAND
    - There is no need for an optical drive
    - There is no need for W10 Pro over Home in most cases
    - Crappy generic Intel CPU cooler

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Agree with revelations. Memex or someone to do something custom.
    From what you said of your needs, you don't need anything fancy, no super latest/greatest gamer high-end graphics card required.
    Definitely do 2 monitors, or even 3, very convenient.

My Ride
    Bicycle

2x 24" 1080p > 1x 34" 2K screen from a productivity perspective.

I just love my 34" curve because of aesthetic and cleaner desk in my office.

Ryzen is promising with 8 core performance for the price of 4 core of Intel at the same price point. So if you do any video work, it has way better bang for the $. The only problem I see with Ryzen/AM4 combo is that it will never have any thunberbolt option. You will be stuck with USB 3.x.

Originally posted by msommers
    All signs points to a Ryzen/AM4 release in March and if the leaked 8 core processor benchmark and price is any indicator, it will disrupt the market for multithread work loads (not necessary gaming).

The problem with intel processor is that 1/2 the space is given to a Intel GPU that nobody serious about their rig will use anyway. AMD decided to give you 4 more processing core out that space.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-13-2017 at 06:48 PM.

My Ride
    is broken

More critics for ExtraSlow haha.
    You will want a real cooler. Intel coolers have very poor performance. The noise alone would drive me crazy but I also have a water cooled rig with only 2x200mm.

I also assume you have some software to take advantage of the Quadro? Otherwise its really a waste.

PSU. do the math and you'll find that a platinum PSU will save you money several times its worth. assuming the machine is pulling 300+watts for several hours a day.

Who uses a dvd drive these days?
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by jacky4566
    You will want a real cooler. Intel coolers have very poor performance. The noise alone would drive me crazy but I also have a water cooled rig with only 2x200mm.

I also assume you have some software to take advantage of the Quadro? Otherwise its really a waste.

PSU. do the math and you'll find that a platinum PSU will save you money several times its worth. assuming the machine is pulling 300+watts for several hours a day.

Yeah, if you are building a rig, invest in PSU. If you hate fan noise, look for one that is fanless at your normal load. Skip the DVD drive and Quadro. Quadro has a very limited set of scenario where it is superior than GeForce.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Xtrema
    2x 24" 1080p > 1x 34" 2K screen from a productivity perspective.

I just love my 34" curve because of aesthetic and cleaner desk in my office.

Ryzen is promising with 8 core performance for the price of 4 core of Intel at the same price point. So if you do any video work, it has way better bang for the $. The only problem I see with Ryzen/AM4 combo is that it will never have any thunberbolt option. You will be stuck with USB 3.x.

All signs points to a Ryzen/AM4 release in March and if the leaked 8 core processor benchmark and price is any indicator, it will disrupt the market for multithread work loads (not necessary gaming).

The problem with intel processor is that 1/2 the space is given to a Intel GPU that nobody serious about their rig will use anyway. AMD decided to give you 4 more processing core out that space.
    The problem with waiting is you're always waiting. This gen comes out, then the die shrink, then the next, etc.

The fact he's running a 7 year old rig tells me that a 10% peformance bump isn't going to be relevant especially if its all just web/graphic design.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by pheoxs

The problem with waiting is you're always waiting. This gen comes out, then the die shrink, then the next, etc.

The fact he's running a 7 year old rig tells me that a 10% peformance but it going to be irrelevant especially if its all just web/graphic design.
    Well we are talking about 2-3 weeks here, not months unless AMD slips again.

It's basically like buying current gen iPhone in Aug.

That said, Intel CPUs has been steadily dropping in price to counter incoming Ryzen line up.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Well we are talking about 2-3 weeks here, not months unless AMD slips again.

It's basically like buying current gen iPhone in Aug.

That said, Intel CPUs has been steadily dropping in price to counter incoming Ryzen line up.
    Thats fair, I missed the March note in your post and can't argue with that.

That being said AMD benchmarks always seem to be a let down compared to how ground breaking they hype to be I feel.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That PC looks overpriced to me. The same if not slightly better build on PCPartpicker comes in at ~$1780, which Memex themselves would beat by 10% of the difference:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pg7DM8

Some other criticisms:
    - Crappy generic PSU (One area you don't want to cheap out on)
    - Generic case without sound deadening
    - Build has dual channel RAM configuration but the platform supports quad channel
    - Budget SSD with TLC NAND
    - There is no need for an optical drive
    - There is no need for W10 Pro over Home in most cases
    - Crappy generic Intel CPU cooler
    Originally posted by jacky4566

Yeah, if you are building a rig, invest in PSU. If you hate fan noise, look for one that is fanless at your normal load. Skip the DVD drive and Quadro. Quadro has a very limited set of scenario where it is superior than GeForce.
    Hahahaha, you guys played right into my hands. I picked that one at random from the memex website and I knew the OCD IT dudes on here wouldn't be able to help themselves from picking it apart in specific detail.

Thus, now that OP has really great recommendations, and I did zero research.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

The Intel "E"xtreme processors, specifically the ones being compared to the Ryzen family in all the leaked benchmarks, do not have on board GPUs.

Where are you seeing this? Haswell and Broadwell Extreme cpu's are still the same prices everywhere. $20 off here and there but most are the same price.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-14-2017 at 10:15 AM.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Thx for your input
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Does your "workstation" really need much power at all? If you are only just moving away from a 7 year old rig how much power could you possibly need?

Your usage scenario doesn't really sound that hardcore to me and honestly something cheap off the shelf will probably do you just fine as opposed to these guys on here who are suggesting more of a hobbyist custom rig.

Is your 3k budget supposed to include new monitor(s)? Cause otherwise I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill and going to end up with a white elephant you will never fully take advantage of.

This reminds me of my modelling workstation at work that the boss bought with dual Xeon's totaling 12 cores, 128 GB of ram, etc but then we only paid for single threaded software licenses
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by killramos
    Does your "workstation" really need much power at all? If you are only just moving away from a 7 year old rig how much power could you possibly need?

Your usage scenario doesn't really sound that hardcore to me and honestly something cheap off the shelf will probably do you just fine as opposed to these guys on here who are suggesting more of a hobbyist custom rig.

Is your 3k budget supposed to include new monitor(s)? Cause otherwise I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill and going to end up with a white elephant you will never fully take advantage of.

This reminds me of my modelling workstation at work that the boss bought with dual Xeon's totaling 12 cores, 128 GB of ram, etc but then we only paid for single threaded software licenses
    Yeah, though if he has the budget there's no reason to not future proof. The 'cleared for an upgrade' sounds like work approved it so its better to make something beastly within the budget than to spend half and expect to upgrade sooner (which probably wouldnt be the case).

I'd probably just have memory express build a I7-7700k / 32gb ram / 1070 GTX rig in this case. You could even add a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB drive within that budget for plenty of fast space, or a smaller drive at a 2-4tb harddrive as media storage but I assume they have some kind of network storage.

Like this:
    i.imgur.com/NhIo8Ta.jpg
    Last edited by pheoxs; 02-14-2017 at 01:49 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was under the impression he owned his own business
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast