Greyhound - Terminating service in Western Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Greyhound - Terminating service in Western Canada

My Ride
    V167

Default Greyhound - Terminating service in Western Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/grey...mbia-1.4739459

RIP.

I took Greyhound TONS of times over the years when I was doing my training. Cheap, rarely late, was able to use Wifi and chill. For a weekend home (Edmonton --> Calgary, and back) it couldn't be beat, $19 one way, no worry about speeding tickets, and no stress.

Greyhound Canada says it is ending its passenger bus and freight services in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and cancelling all but one route in B.C. — a U.S.-run service between Vancouver and Seattle.

As a result, when the changes take effect at the end of October, Ontario and Quebec will be the only regions where the familiar running-dog logo continues to grace Canadian highways.

"This decision is regretful and we sympathize with the fact that many small towns are going to lose service," Greyhound Canada senior vice-president Stuart Kendrick said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"But simply put, the issue that we have seen is the routes in rural parts of Canada — specifically Western Canada — are just not sustainable anymore."

Goodbye Greyhound? The thread stitching together Canada's North wears thin
    'It's very disappointing': Greyhound opts to cut some rural B.C. Interior stops
    Greyhound plans to continue freight delivery in northern B.C., even if passenger service ends

Kendrick said 415 people will be out of work as a result of the decision, which he estimates will impact roughly two million consumers.

The company is blaming a 41 per cent decline in ridership since 2010, persistent competition from subsidized national and inter-regional passenger transportation services, the growth of new low-cost airlines, regulatory constraints and the continued growth of car ownership.

Declining ridership is the primary culprit, said Kendrick, who called the combination of declining ridership and increasing costs an "ongoing spiral" that's making it impossible for the company to continue operations.

He said the company has raised its concerns with provincial and federal officials over the years and wanted to ensure both levels of government were "fully aware" of the situation. Greyhound Canada has long advocated for a community funding model to allow any private carrier to bid on essential rural services, he added.

Kendrick said Greyhound Canada will continue to push Ottawa to look at improving transport in northern communities.

"There was a commitment to look at our issue, they're well aware of it. It shouldn't come as a surprise that we've had problems but there was no funding commitment at that time," he said.

"The company has experienced significant losses despite continued efforts to return to viability. In the affected regions, the company has run an operating deficit since 2004. We have had substantial losses over several years as a direct result of declining ridership."

All Greyhound routes in Ontario and Quebec will continue to operate except for one: the Trans-Canada, which links a number of smaller communities between Winnipeg and Sudbury, Ont.

Kendrick said the decision will leave most of the affected communities with no other transportation options.

Greyhound Canada applied to provincial regulators last year to discontinue routes in northern B.C. from Prince George to Prince Rupert because of declining ridership. Those cancellations went into effect June 1.

The issue of adequate transportation came up repeatedly during the ongoing inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, since one of the affected routes included the notorious stretch of Highway 16 in B.C. known as the Highway of Tears, where a number of women have gone missing.

The cancellations are scheduled to take effect Oct. 31.

My Ride
    ute

Did no one think of the beheading cannibals?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Land just opened up for CalgaryNEXT.

I'll miss shipping stuff to family and friends via greyhound. Cheap and fast.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Shit, there goes my cheap way to ship car parts. :/

My Ride
    This and that.

I wish I could say I took it lot in the last 6 years when I moved up to Edmonton, literally took it twice in the entire time. So I won't miss it necessarily, however, knowing that it was an option was always a good thing. I guess Red Arrow it'll have to be by default now and it was generally my first option whenever I thought about taking a bus anyway.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shit, there goes my cheap way to ship car parts. :/
    This. Especially wheels.

I wonder what was the main cause behind the massive decline in ridership they say has occurred over the last decade ??

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Society in general is moving towards more "at home" activities and less going places to do stuff. Movie theatres are struggling because I can watch at home on my 347" TV in my basement. I don't need to go to a restaurant because I want to Skip The Dishes. People are moving around less and staying closer to home. Why take the bus to Lethbridge to visit Grandma when you can just facetime her twice a week and follow her posts on Facebook?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I wonder what was the main cause behind the massive decline in ridership they say has occurred over the last decade ??
    Some people were just losing their heads over annoying seat-mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Society in general is moving towards more "at home" activities and less going places to do stuff. Movie theatres are struggling because I can watch at home on my 347" TV in my basement. I don't need to go to a restaurant because I want to Skip The Dishes. People are moving around less and staying closer to home. Why take the bus to Lethbridge to visit Grandma when you can just facetime her twice a week and follow her posts on Facebook?
    Yea I guess I just would have thought stuff like that would have a neutral effect. Things like iPads allow you to face time but also allow you to download and watch a season of X show to easily pass a 7 hour bus ride.

You’re probably right I just didn’t expect that to be the major factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Some people were just losing their heads over annoying seat-mates.
    So savage

I'm amazed they lasted as long as they did. That has got to be the least desirable mode of transportation around. Also just looking at Edmonton, it would cost me more for a ticket than it would to drive there and take me almost twice as long. I guess it was OK for shipping and seniors.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I'm amazed they lasted as long as they did. That has got to be the least desirable mode of transportation around. Also just looking at Edmonton, it would cost me more for a ticket than it would to drive there and take me almost twice as long. I guess it was OK for shipping and seniors.
    Great for when you want to pick up a car in Edmonton, and don't have a buddy that has 6+ hours to kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

A one way ticket to Edmonton is $35.00. Seems pretty inexpensive to me and less then driving on your own.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Great for when you want to pick up a car in Edmonton, and don't have a buddy that has 6+ hours to kill.
    Yep, I took a loooooong ride a couple years ago to pick up my 1993 Audi S4 from BC. But the ticket was like $75.

We ship stuff ALL THE TIME via GreyHound to Fort McMurray, its basically same day, no hassle, dirt cheap. Same with tires/rims, anywhere in Alberta is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    A one way ticket to Edmonton is $35.00. Seems pretty inexpensive to me and less then driving on your own.
    A tank of gas usually costs me $35-40 and I can drive a round trip to Edmonton on that, so a Greyhound would be about twice as expensive and wastes far more time (8 hours instead of 5). If you drive a gas guzzler I guess it would start to swing the economics. People value their time differently as well, but probably at least $20-50/Hr and an extra 3hr on a bus sucks (especially if someone you don't like is in the seat next to you).

I can see some reasons to use Greyhound still I guess, I just don't see it as a desirable form of transportation outside of special circumstances and it's comparatively expensive unless you have a giant SUV or something similar or don't care about the extra time.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

A tank of gas usually costs me $35-40 and I can drive a round trip to Edmonton on that
    What do you drive that has a 35L gas tank and gets 5L/100km? Because it can't be your Civic. I could see $45-50 in fuel costs for that vehicle for an Edmonton trip.

What do you drive that has a 35L gas tank and gets 5L/100km? Because it can't be your Civic.
    You're right it's probably slightly more than that these days, I was thinking of what I usually put in it rather than the full tank capacity. I usually put in around 35-42L because it's never empty so it's probably closer $45-$50. Still much cheaper + 3h time saved which would be worth more to me than the entire fuel cost anyhow. I am never filling it up from 100% empty either of course.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeah that seems more reasonable. The Greyhound's still more expensive then, but not hugely so. Keep in mind you're not including things like per-mile maintenance, insurance, etc., so the bus seems to have been cost-competitive if the rider didn't own a vehicle - which was probably a big chunk of their ridership.

It's not really Calgary-Edmonton that was the problem. It was all the small rural routes (buttfuck1 - buttfuck2) that were money losers.

Yeah that seems more reasonable. The Greyhound's still more expensive then, but not hugely so. Keep in mind you're not including things like per-mile maintenance, insurance, etc., so the bus seems to have been cost-competitive if the rider didn't own a vehicle - which was probably a big chunk of their ridership.
    Fair point on the insurance/maintenance, etc. I don't know how much that all adds up to on a per-trip basis. If you don't own a vehicle then I guess it's one of the only options haha.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast