PDA

View Full Version : Installing on two partitions

KAVIE
05-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Hello:

My laptop has two hard drives both 30GB.

My question is any suggestions on installing programs and the operating of the computer. So I keep games and music on one drive and the other just the main windows components?

Thanks

Ashkente
05-31-2006, 12:30 PM
That's the way it should be done. OS/software on one drive/partition and games, music, important shit on the other drive. That way if windows shits the bed, you're not left sitting in it. Format first drive/reinstall and everything's fine again (though you'll have to reinstall most of your software anyhow)

clem24
05-31-2006, 12:49 PM
There are 2 issues here: 2 physical drives and 2 partitions. To me, it makes no sense to have 2 drives in a laptop since that'll just drain the battery like crazy. Just trade both in for a 60GB or something.

As for 2 physical drives, I don't even think you need 30GB for Windows and programs. I usually get by fine with about 15 for Windows/Programs. Partition the rest of it to store documents or backups.

KAVIE
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help

FivE.SeveN
05-31-2006, 02:18 PM
A laptop with 2 hard disks? Sounds like 1 drive, 2 partitions to me.

Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. That'll show you if it's 1 physical drive or 2. ;)

FYI if it IS only 1 drive, and you go to reinstall windows, make sure the setup program doesn't format/partition automatically or it'll erase your "work" drive. Sux.

hampstor
05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
A laptop with 2 hard disks? Sounds like 1 drive, 2 partitions to me.

Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. That'll show you if it's 1 physical drive or 2. ;)

FYI if it IS only 1 drive, and you go to reinstall windows, make sure the setup program doesn't format/partition automatically or it'll erase your "work" drive. Sux.

You can go right to the Computer Management console in Windows XP by right clicking on "My Computer" (on the desktop) and clicking Manage.

It's unlike the NB has 2 drives... I know there were options for multiple drives (even RAID) on Sager/PC Torque and Eurocom notebooks - however those aren't the most mainstream notebooks :bigpimp:

KAVIE
05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Well now i feel dumb, yeah your right it is one drive which has been partition. Is this smart should I leave it the partition or format so it is just the one drive?

Thanks

rony_espana
06-01-2006, 06:23 AM
^I would leave it partitioned since the computer will be a little faster if you keep things seperate. If the partition is on the same drive it shouldn't do anything to your battery life. I actaully create even more partitions to keep the computer organized: 1 each for windows, music, movies, docs. I use partition magic btw.

Ashkente
06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

You can go right to the Computer Management console in Windows XP by right clicking on "My Computer" (on the desktop) and clicking Manage.

It's unlike the NB has 2 drives... I know there were options for multiple drives (even RAID) on Sager/PC Torque and Eurocom notebooks - however those aren't the most mainstream notebooks :bigpimp:

Toshiba isn't mainstream? :dunno:

frostyda9
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I format the C: partition to a size of 7GB usually. This gives you room for Windows and core apps and a couple GB to spare. That would leave you with 51.5 GB of free space for everything else, which should be lots.

Unknown303
06-03-2006, 07:18 AM
7g wow thats low. I always leave my primary as having something around 20g that way there is never going to be a situation were your drive could even possibly come low. Also depending on your virtual memory its always good to have tonnes of room to allocate to that as well.

dragonone
06-03-2006, 07:28 AM
yeah 15-20 is a gd value for the OS
as for virtual, there are many theories
but the general idea is to set it as a predetermined value, both max and min the same
i do amount of ram x 1.5, and anything beyond 1 gb just the same number

having 2 partitions is a gd idea because in the event that you have to reformat, all your data will be intact and you won't have to move anything around

Unknown303
06-03-2006, 07:34 AM
The best idea for VM is to set it on a different hard drive as the OS. this usually doesn't apply to laptops but then the virtual can access faster while critical OS files are being access as well.

hampstor
06-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Toshiba isn't mainstream? :dunno:

I was just saying the Sager/PC Torque units are not the most mainstream ones. Toshiba is very mainstream - however I believe only the one toshiba line has it :)

frostyda9
06-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
yeah 15-20 is a gd value for the OS
as for virtual, there are many theories
but the general idea is to set it as a predetermined value, both max and min the same
i do amount of ram x 1.5, and anything beyond 1 gb just the same number

having 2 partitions is a gd idea because in the event that you have to reformat, all your data will be intact and you won't have to move anything around

15-20 is way more than you need for a system partition. Personaly I like to keep it small because it's fast and easy to maintain. The virtual memory (page file) doesn't have to be on the primary partition, either. If you have enough RAM, you can even turn it off ;)

Here's how my 7GB partition looks:

dragonone
06-03-2006, 01:48 PM
i can't confirm the turning it off part, but from what i read you need at least 50mb, or cheat windows that you have some
it's tru that the swap doesn't have to be on the primary partition, but if you intend to have one, it's recommended that it's at the beginning of the drive (usually the primary), some even make a separate 'ram' drive at the beginning of the hard drive
if you have one single hard drive and 2 partitions, you make no improvements by moving the swap to the second partition, because it's still the same harddrive
it may be easier to maintain that way tho, because it won't be fragmented as much (provided that swap is the only thing on that partition)
i will give that no swap thing a try tho, i already have 2gbs ram in my pc
and 7gbs man? with the OS, office, premiere, photoshop, and just half life 2 that's almost gone

Unknown303
06-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Having no VM isn't the best way to go at all. Windows has critical apps that store to VM by default and it actually can slow performance as windows realizes it doesn't exist and then has to try to store else where.

frostyda9
06-03-2006, 06:55 PM
i can't confirm the turning it off part, but from what i read you need at least 50mb, or cheat windows that you have some
it's tru that the swap doesn't have to be on the primary partition, but if you intend to have one, it's recommended that it's at the beginning of the drive (usually the primary), some even make a separate 'ram' drive at the beginning of the hard drive
if you have one single hard drive and 2 partitions, you make no improvements by moving the swap to the second partition, because it's still the same harddrive
it may be easier to maintain that way tho, because it won't be fragmented as much (provided that swap is the only thing on that partition)
i will give that no swap thing a try tho, i already have 2gbs ram in my pc
and 7gbs man? with the OS, office, premiere, photoshop, and just half life 2 that's almost gone

It can be done without VM, whether or not you want to try it is up to you. My system didn't slow down at all.

The apps you mention at the end of your post don't need to be installed on your primary partition. When I say system, I mean SYSTEM. Programs, games, and media can all go on other drives. The only exceptions for me are anti-spyware and a few other programs like CPU-Z, Sandra, 3DMark, and Aquamark.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/frostyDA9/parts.jpg

So simple ;)

dragonone
06-03-2006, 09:15 PM
so what happens to your programs if you choose to install a new OS or reformat C?

frostyda9
06-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Nothing happens to them. They are on a separate partition...they will still be there after you format.
All you have to do is re-target your shortcuts or direct launch
from the respective program folders.

Khyron
06-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Drives are generally more efficient when under 70% full. I use 15G for system and basic apps like adobe, then a D drive for games/bigger apps. I also have E for video/mp3s etc but that's not really needed.

So for this laptop I would repartition it for C having 12 or 13 Gs and the rest your D.

Khyron

dragonone
06-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
Nothing happens to them. They are on a separate partition...they will still be there after you format.
All you have to do is re-target your shortcuts or direct launch
from the respective program folders.
that's not how all programs work
a lot of them installs dll's into system32 etc.
and if you had to reformat think of it as a new oppurtunity to install a newer version

frostyda9
06-04-2006, 02:02 PM

that's not how all programs work
a lot of them installs dll's into system32 etc.
and if you had to reformat think of it as a new oppurtunity to install a newer version

Indeed, you're right. It depends on the application.
Programs like Norton won't work on other partitions as far as I know.

However, for example - right now I am playing Oblivion. If I had to format C:, I would probably end up having to reinstall the game to get it working seamlessly again. *But* as the game is on a separate partition, I could then back up my save games before deleting and re-installing the game, and import them after the install. It just gives you a little added protection in the event of a catastrophic system partition failure. There may be some people that back up their save game files, but I am willing to bet most don't ;)

edit: to correct myslef, the game save files are on the C: drive, not the host game drive. My bad.

Khyron
06-04-2006, 03:08 PM
You reinstall, but into the same directory. Saves, settings etc are usually fine.

Khyron