PDA

View Full Version : Lots of people leaving Alberta?

Pages : [1] 2

Masked Bandit
09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I guess this could've gone here or in the Realestate section:

I've been watching the mass exodus from Calgary / Alberta for the last year or so. If you are on the board and have left, where did you go and why? I'm finding that most of the people are going back to where they came from. Thoughts?

sputnik
09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Where do you see this "mass exodus"?

Are there refugee camps in Saskatchewan or something?

I think the term "mass exodus" is a bit of an exaggeration wouldn't you say?

The Calgary population grew as of the 2007 census.

dr_jared88
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I left Calgary to move back to Regina this year. Reason being I was only ever in Calgary to go to school. Planned on moving back since the start.

It's not that I have anything against Calgary, it's just that you can start out so much cheaper in Regina. I can buy a house here without needing two incomes.

Kona9
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
They are chasing the cougs that can't get boy toys!

bremorr
09-03-2008, 08:22 AM
They roll in, make their money, don't contribute anything to our community or add to the culture of our city and leave. I feel that Calgary is the whore of the west, we welcome everyone, they fuck the housing market, and leave. Now, me and the 2 other native Calgarians have to live through the mess. (read over-inflated everything.) Good on ya if you came here and are staying :thumbsup: Eat shit if you came and left :thumbsdow Maybe I'll come visit your town pay 3X too much for somthing and set the standard for years to come. Hopefully it's something you can't live without.......like a house.......or an apple, yeah, it would be great if I paid so much for an apple that no one in your town could ever afford one again.:)

Tik-Tok
09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
I've lived here for 12 years, and don't really like the place Calgary has become. I'm planning on moving back home eventually (Vancouver Island), but probably won't happen for 5-10 years yet.

It's pretty normal for any "booming" city. People come for work, and when it starts slowing down, and the easy money is harder to come by, they leave for the next prosperous place. Especially so here in Alberta. You really think all those people in Fort Mac are planning on living there forever?

The Cosworth
09-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Are you seeing this in dropping policy's masked bandit?

Man I was born here and even I want to leave. I am with tik tok

sputnik
09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by bremorr
They roll in, make their money, don't contribute anything to our community or add to the culture of our city and leave. I feel that Calgary is the whore of the west, we welcome everyone, they fuck the housing market, and leave. Now, me and the 2 other native Calgarians have to live through the mess. (read over-inflated everything.) Good on ya if you came here and are staying :thumbsup: Eat shit if you came and left :thumbsdow Maybe I'll come visit your town pay 3X too much for somthing and set the standard for years to come. Hopefully it's something you can't live without.......like a house.......or an apple, yeah, it would be great if I paid so much for an apple that no one in your town could ever afford one again.:)

Your logic is broken.

If people just showed up and left the housing market would be really cheap. The fact that they are staying is the reason house prices are still high.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Your logic is broken.

If people just showed up and left the housing market would be really cheap. The fact that they are staying is the reason house prices are still high.

They rolled in, paid too much, doubled what everything is worth. This means that people that want to live here were paying too much for their house. Now prices are easing up a little bit which could potentially put people upside down (the ones who got into the market at the peak) The decrease in pricing is beacuse of the massive amount of listings, which could have to do with people leaving. You see where I am coming from here? Stability is good for sustainability, booms make a few people a whole bunch of $$$$ and fuck the rest of us. If people end up walking away from properties that they have over paid for, we end up in 1981 all over again.

Manhattan
09-03-2008, 08:51 AM
^^^

:clap: I need to buy a house!!

The Cosworth
09-03-2008, 08:56 AM
^^^ in a year you do.

Haha

bremorr
09-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
^^^

:clap: I need to buy a house!!

Wait for another few months!! The states is like a crystal ball for us to see the future....maybe not as bad but....it's coming. My innitial rant was more aimed at the poor people who bought at the peak and want to stay.

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 09:07 AM

They rolled in, paid too much, doubled what everything is worth.

Yeah, that's right.
It's all the super-elites from Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia that rolled in with a pickup truck full of cash and jacked all the prices up. :rolleyes:

IMHO, the biggest problem with Alberta is self-entitled Albertans who refuse any reason for the province's problems other than "It's someone else's fault.". This seems particularily prevalent in Calgary for some reason.

Poor, poor downtrodden millionaires...:cry:

Lex350
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS

Yeah, that's right.
It's all the super-elites from Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia that rolled in with a pickup truck full of cash and jacked all the prices up. :rolleyes:

IMHO, the biggest problem with Alberta is self-entitled Albertans who refuse any reason for the province's problems other than "It's someone else's fault.". This seems particularily prevalent in Calgary for some reason.

wow..talk about an interiority complex

R-Audi
09-03-2008, 09:12 AM
One good thing about these people leaving.. (well at least in my case) is that they will only hold on to property here before they NEED to get rid of it and blow it out... which if you are in the right time at the right place you can get a great deal!!

I got my house in a great central neighbourhood for $30k less then the bank/mortgage company assesed it for! (and $25k below city assesment)

Supa Dexta
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

wow..talk about an interiority complex

Wat?

I first showed up in alberta in 2001. I've worked hard to get a 6fig job, so if it was there why didn't you take it and buy your house back then? Nothing worse then a whiny albertan who blames his shitty life on others that came in to fill your provinces needs... Guess what, everything I buy is here in the province and I likely pay more tax then many members make in a year. Bitch to me next year when I will continue to work here, but will be living in NS, where I don't have to pay for the shitty retail service and over inflated prices, violence and arrogant attitudes that have swallowed alberta. We're the ones that have to leave our friends and family/life behind.. Talk to anyone that hires one of us too, we work hard and are grateful for what we get.

Albertan> "ewww only 70k a yr to start, I went to college!, what do I look like some sort of immigrant or some welfare case from the east coast"

:rofl:

rc2002
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Yeah, that's right.

Actually the people immigrating to Alberta didn't need to have money to drive up prices. With zero down mortgages you don't need any money to buy a house. The sheer number of people moving to the province was one of the main driving factors.

rage2
09-03-2008, 09:33 AM
You see where I am coming from here? Stability is good for sustainability, booms make a few people a whole bunch of $$$$ and fuck the rest of us.
I don't get how native Calgarians got "fucked" by the boom. Salaries grew almost as fast as housing prices. The only ppl that were "fucked" by the boom were guys that were making decent money around 2002 and didn't throw the money into a house, bought tons of toys and partied it all away. Now they look back and cry over how they missed out on cheap housing.

I have friends just starting out their careers now and they can afford a house just fine. I know guys that own 2 homes without problems on an average salary. I just don't see how you got fucked.

Sure, if you dump all your money into a house, you won't have tons of disposable income left over, but really, that's not different than before the boom. I was sober for 7 years when I bought my house lol. Just gotta cut some excess outta your life.

Just to compare salaries, I had a 35k/yr salary when I bought my house in 2001, and at the time I had 4 yrs of work experience. You can score a 45k/yr job straight out of high school today.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Yeah, that's right.

If by super-elites you mean retards...I agree.....where are you from? The super-elites rolled in with nothing, MADE a truck load of money and spent it. I hope they go home with nothing, it will make it easier for me to go over-pay for my apple and ensure that they won't be getting any more of those.:)

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Albertan> "ewww only 70k a yr to start, I went to college!, what do I look like some sort of immigrant or some welfare case from the east coast"

Born and raised Calgarian, straight out of school, and I damn well wish I made that kind of money haha.

We all gotta start somewhere, right?

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

The sheer number of people moving to the province was one of the main driving factors.

And there's no way Alberta would be enjoying a lot of the prosperity it's enjoying if they hadn't come here.

It's a two way street.
Sure there are problems with an exploding population, but when there's demand like there is here, there are also massive benefits.

My point isn't that the increase in population had no effect, it's that the "pure" Albertans love putting all the blame for the problems (roads, traffic, housing, service, etc) on all the "outsiders", and throwing their shoulders out patting themselves on the back for how great and prosperous of a province Alberta has become.

Before you start sucking each others dicks, remember that today's Alberta was built on the backs of as many Maritimers and dirt farmers as it was on Albertans.

Supa Dexta
09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Born and raised Calgarian, straight out of school, and I damn well wish I made that kind of money haha.

We all gotta start somewhere, right?

Exactly, when I first moved here I went landscaping for 12$ an hr I think it was. I had like 1000$ saved and a 3 cylinder civic (which I GAVE to kidney foundation after it got smashed to shit by calg drivers) But the jobs are out there, you just have to apply yourself and fight for them,(I know I'm worth it) so I doubled my income for a few yrs in a row back then (In the range of 15-30-60k/yr which still isn't alot to some, but I was thankful.. Hell my father put in 30 yrs at a factory back east and might have been making 60-70k/yr when he retired)). And now I'm in a good spot, or close to it. Theres so many people that just expect they deserve huge wages right off the bat, just because others are getting them.. Hell I would bet most of your fathers that lived here all their lives and make 6 or 7 figs now, had jobs for 4$ an hr when they started out.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 09:50 AM
My point is, if you were born in Calgary, make an average wage, ($40-$50k), It would be tough. I'm not bitching about my situation, I have a good job and got into my house before it all went ape-shit. (I'm not rich just comfortable) I just don't think we should forget about the people who are not in a good spot. If you earn at a certain level, you hang around with people who can hang with you. It's easy to forget that not every-one is in the same boat. The fuck you Alberta attitude is getting tiring for those of us who like it here. I like how people from other places assume that we are all paying for shit with black AM-EX cards and rolling Bentley's........Oh yeah, my bentley is for sale, PM if interested...... This is one of the better thread Hi-Jackings I have seen in a while.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
I started off working at a restaurant downtown, making 5.90/hour as a bus boy. I moved up through the usual stuff, grocery stores and stuff. Hell 2 years ago, I was making $9/hour working at superstore, and i thought that was good money. Now my sister bitches and complains at that kind of thing.

I'll admit, I lucked out with my job, I already make more than my mom does currently, not quite as much as my dad.

Calgary has a lot of great opportunities, just get off your lazy ass.

Tik-Tok
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
My point is, if you were born in Calgary, make an average wage, ($40-$50k),

Together my wife and I make $100g, we have no problems :dunno: How many single people were buying houses or mid to high end condo's before the boom?

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
My point is, if you were born in Calgary, make an average wage, ($40-$50k),

Ahh, and there's the rub.
Starting wages for college graduates in my field have gone up at least $15,000 in the last 3-4 years.

Combine that with houses being undervalued before the boom, and things are about where they ought to be.

Is it hard to buy a nice, 1000sq.ft detached house on an average single income? Fucking rights. But that's a tough buy almost anywhere, not just Alberta.

The average age of a first time homeowner in North America is ~32.

FWIW: My wife just got off maternity leave and is only back working ~20/week. Given that, our household income is closer to $75k than it is to $100k, and I'm not eating instant noodles in the dark.

rage2
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
My point is, if you were born in Calgary, make an average wage, ($40-$50k), It would be tough.
Of course it's gonna be tough. Hell, 2 yrs before I bought my house, I stopped clubbing (ok... stopped karaoke lol) to save up and stayed sober for 7 years and rarely went out to eat. That's the smart thing to do. Now that the house is paid off I can enjoy the better things in life.

WTF u expect everyone to have it easy, everyone owning a house, eat out every night, party everyday?

Again, I know homeowners that bought fairly high with a 50k a year single income salary. They're surviving just fine. You kids gotta learn about budgeting and priorities.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Ahh, and there's the rub.
Starting wages for college graduates in my field have gone up at least $15,000 in the last 3-4 years.

Only because they had to. If the wages didn't go up, no one could afford to be here. Your wage increase most likely has not improved you quality of life, just let you maintain it. It's a viscous circle.

rage2
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Only because they had to. If the wages didn't go up, no one could afford to be here. Your wage increase most likely has not improved you quality of life, just let you maintain it. It's a viscous circle.
Thanks for stating the obvious there.

If you want to improve quality of life, guess what? You gotta work for it.

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
So where's your fucking argument?

Housing prices have gone up? That's only relevant if wages don't, but they did.

Housing only seems more expensive because of how undervalued it was before the boom. Housing in Alberta is affordable, and in line with what it should be and what it is everywhere else.

The cost of living in Alberta is the same as many comperable places, and a hell of a lot less when you consider that we either make, or have the opportunity to make, substantially more money than elsewhere.

So once again, what the fuck are you bitching about?

benyl
09-03-2008, 10:23 AM

That is the whole point of wage increases. To maintain your quality of life, not increase it.

Why the fuck should your employer pay you more when you are doing the same shit? Apply yourself and get a raise that exceeds inflation because you are worth it, not because you are a warm body taking up space.

You aren't entitled to shit, quit acting like you are.

benyl
09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
As far as current house prices are concerned, they are going down because there is too much supply. That supply is not driven by people leaving, it is driven by developers making too many places to live.

I would bet that 50% of the listings on MLS are for vacant properties that people just want to get rid of because they already have a primary residence. Speculators are getting fucked in this bubble.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Of course it's gonna be tough. Hell, 2 yrs before I bought my house, I stopped clubbing (ok... stopped karaoke lol) to save up and stayed sober for 7 years and rarely went out to eat. That's the smart thing to do. Now that the house is paid off I can enjoy the better things in life.

WTF u expect everyone to have it easy, everyone owning a house, eat out every night, party everyday?

Again, I know homeowners that bought fairly high with a 50k a year single income salary. They're surviving just fine. You kids gotta learn about budgeting and priorities.

I have made the appropriate sacrifices, my house will be paid off by the time I am 35, and I am not a fucking kid.......30 years old, grey hair. You don't get grey hair without having a budget and priorities!! I am just compassionate to the situation of some of the hard working young people who are doomed to be house poor, for much longer than I was. I am not a "I had to pay my dues so everyone else should have to pay double" type of guy. I appreciate the fact that I have had some good fortune/ timing etc. Sounds like you should too.

Redlyne_mr2
09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
^^^ yep.. I know of a ton of vacant places right now. a lot of it is caused by people who bought "investment" properties.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
^^^ yep.. I know of a ton of vacant places right now. a lot of it is caused by people who bought "investment" properties.

I wonder how that's working out for everyone? Cock sure could net big problems!!! I think that I have doubled my post count today!!!! Good thread everyone:)

UndrgroundRider
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
This argument is no different than gas prices. It doesn't matter where I've travel to in the world, everyone complains about how bloody expensive it is.

Sometimes you just have to realize how good you have it. Calgary is not in a bad state right now.

benyl
09-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
This argument is no different than gas prices. It doesn't matter where I've travel to in the world, everyone complains about how bloody expensive it is.

Sometimes you just have to realize how good you have it. Calgary is not in a bad state right now.

And yet, people don't complain how much bottled water is. People have their priorities all mixed up.

I read an article somewhere about bottled water consumption and its relationship to education of the individual. Pretty revealing. I'll see if I can find it.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by benyl

And yet, people don't complain how much bottled water is. People have their priorities all mixed up.

I read an article somewhere about bottled water consumption and its relationship to education of the individual. Pretty revealing. I'll see if I can find it.

You don't have to drink bottled water, you do have to live somewhere. It's OK, in the next 50 years the whole monetary system is going to fail and nothing is going to matter. I am going to claim my cave now, to stay ahead of the curve.

sputnik
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM

I wonder how that's working out for everyone? Cock sure could net big problems!!! I think that I have doubled my post count today!!!! Good thread everyone:)

The properties will only drop far enough for someone else to buy them and live in them.

The market won't simply crash 40% and then a whole bunch of people go "OMG LOOK HOW CHEAP!" and then race to buy all of the available properties.

Prices will gradually come down and those waiting for a deal will pick up condos and houses once it hits a price they like. If they wait too long they lose out (much like a Dutch auction).

Eventually inventories will drop and the market will pick up again.

Right now Calgary has strong employment compared to the rest of Canada so I really can't see an all out collapse any time soon.

S4maniac
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I hang my head with a bit of shame, but I cashed out of Calgary exactly one year ago. I sold my acreage in Elbow Valley and bought a nice little shack in Victoria. I don't think too many educated people didn't see this housing price correction coming.

I left because I can work anywhere and, like someone already mentioned, I don't like what Calgary has become. I think its lost it soul. The gangs, the homeless problem (the solution is NOT giving them a home and 3 squares a day), the poor politicing of Bronco, etc.

I plan to return to Calgary in a couple years, after all the crazyness subsides. I figured instead of bitching about everything, I'll take my ball and go play elsewhere for awhile. But I love Calgary and will return.

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm planning on moving to the island when the timing is right. I have been for several years.
I like Alberta. I've been here for quite awhile.
That said, I don't owe it anything, nor does it owe me.

The whole argument that we should have some unrequited loyalty to Alberta is stupid.

Inzane
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
They roll in, make their money, don't contribute anything to our community or add to the culture of our city and leave. I feel that Calgary is the whore of the west,

native Calgarians have to live through the mess.

I thought you were describing Fort McMurray for a sec. If you think you have it bad in Calgary, you have no idea what it's like up there.

Supa Dexta
09-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I was in a 2-3 hour long argument last spring with this chick from sask.. Me and a friend were at trap and gill and met these 2 girls from sask, he was working one so I was left to wingman the other, and having had a gf at the time I had nothing better to do then argue with her..

Anyways, she went on and on about how we "owed" alberta for what it's given us.. I couldn't believe her. So of course I went on and on, about how alberta required workers, we're filling that need, so no one is left owing anything to anyone under those circumstances. She thought I was so cocky? and full of it? because I didn't agree with her on it. I really don't know what she thought of my attitude on the matter, but she knew I was the exact opposite of her own opinion and hated me for it.. ha..

... I got pretty drunk to carry on that non sense discussion for hours.. :nut: But my buddy is now engaged to the other one, so I did my part I guess.. :rofl:

bremorr
09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I was in a 2-3 hour long argument last spring with this chick from sask.. Me and a friend were at trap and gill and met these 2 girls from sask, he was working one so I was left to wingman the other, and having had a gf at the time I had nothing better to do then argue with her..

Anyways, she went on and on about how we "owed" alberta for what it's given us.. I couldn't believe her. So of course I went on and on, about how alberta required workers, we're filling that need, so no one is left owing anything to anyone under those circumstances. She thought I was so cocky? and full of it? because I didn't agree with her on it. I really don't know what she thought of my attitude on the matter, but she knew I was the exact opposite of her own opinion and hated me for it.. ha..

... I got pretty drunk to carry on that non sense discussion for hours.. :nut: But my buddy is now engaged to the other one, so I did my part I guess.. :rofl:

Sometimes it fun to be the devils advocate!!:guns: The beauty of the internet.:love: Or in some situations, real life!!

Thanks (to the thread) for the good times, I had better get some work done do I don't get fired and lose my house. I also have a very expensive apple that will need purchasing at some point.:)

Tik-Tok
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I was in a 2-3 hour long argument last spring ... But my buddy is now engaged to the other one

offtopic

Your friend is engaged after 6 months of meeting a girl in a club? :nut:

narou
09-03-2008, 12:06 PM
dude nova scotians come here to work. not to take from you.. If kids these days werent all expecting to make a million dollars a year I wouldn't have a head ache right now.. There is lots of work in calgary.. Shit anywhere I have ever worked (im 19 years old) has been severly short staffed.. I have had to work and pick up the slack for 2 or 3 other people before and still get payed for the wage of 1.. I move from nova scotia when I was 6 and im gald my parents made this decision.. If calgarians dont want to work we will come and fill the gap for them..

max_boost
09-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Ahh I wasn't aware there was a mass exodus of people leaving our province. I must be out of the loop? lol

What else is new? People pissed because they missed out and the few who feel sorry for them. That's just how it is. No matter where you are, the rich get richer and the rest of us just have to deal with it.

Things aren't that bad. You just have to work harder. You just have to make things work.

If my 3 fob cousins with combined income of $60K can manage to finance a $400k home at 25 year amortization, anyone can do it. They have no cars, never go out to eat, rarely buy clothes and rent out their basement. It CAN work!

A790
09-03-2008, 12:13 PM
It doesn't matter where you are or when you're there, there will always be ways to make any economic situation workable for you. Work hard, tone down your "playing", and live smart. Plan your life out so that you continue to save money and increase your financial stability.

Think about it for a second: if you're having a hard time making ends meet do you really need that PS3? No, you don't. Priorities.

Dumbass17
09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
If my 3 fob cousins with combined income of $60K can manage to finance a $400k home at 25 year amortization, anyone can do it. They have no cars, never go out to eat, rarely buy clothes and rent out their basement. It CAN work! [/B]
that made me laugh haha
i don't know how people can survive without a car, jesus lol
i don't know how anyone on 50k/year affords a house :P
i budget everymonth and i'm always left with no money after my paychecks LOL
but then again, i do spend alot on hookers and blow

PYSCHE:guns:

snoop101
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Anyone here who thinks they owe Calgary anything is smokin something. The people who make decisions here in Calgary promote people from across the country to come work in Calgary. Coming from BC and have traveled to a lot of cities I can say that Calgary is not a nice tourist destination. Are down town core is based strictly on business and theres many other things that shows that Calgary is based more on business and not on living and tourism.

Supa Dexta
09-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

offtopic

Your friend is engaged after 6 months of meeting a girl in a club? :nut:

haha.. Yeah totally out of nowheres.. They both live in ontario now too, bought a house.. It's odd.. He used to go thru more girls then I can count, so none of us saw that coming. :nut: He is 30 or 31 now though, so not like we're young guys meeting wives at the bars.

Antonito
09-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ahh I wasn't aware there was a mass exodus of people leaving our province. I must be out of the loop? lol

What else is new? People pissed because they missed out and the few who feel sorry for them. That's just how it is. No matter where you are, the rich get richer and the rest of us just have to deal with it.

Things aren't that bad. You just have to work harder. You just have to make things work.

If my 3 fob cousins with combined income of $60K can manage to finance a $400k home at 25 year amortization, anyone can do it. They have no cars, never go out to eat, rarely buy clothes and rent out their basement. It CAN work!

One thing that worries me about a statement like this is that it fits in with the overall trend in North America where people are having to work harder and harder for what people took for granted 40 years ago. Time was a single income family could get a house after saving for 10 years. Then after a while it became a 2 income home. Then people started renting out their basements. And now you basically have the situation outlined here.

Funny thing, there is a case to be made that needing a dual income to get by was actually far more important in the cause to get women into the workplace than feminism ever was. And as much as many people like to justify not wanting kids because of moral reasons, a lot of it is couples just don't want to have kids because they don't see how they can afford it without having to scrimp and save, leading to a negative birthrate.

Right now things seem ok to most of us, but sometimes if you listen to old people and their rants of the cost of everything these days, maybe they're not just senile. If something happens over a long enough period of time people don't even notice it, and as generally hard working people, most of us think the solution is to just work harder, rather than taking a moment to look around and try to figure out what's happening.

I just wonder what it'll be like 40 years from now if trends continue as they are. And this isn't specific to Calgary, I mean just in general. Calgary is an interesting example because it happened over a span of years, rather than decades, and you can see that a lot of people aren't just accepting it as normal....not that there is much they can do about it other than bitch or choose to put in more overtime and switch to Insta-Noodles for a while.

I'd wager in my life time we're going to see it being the norm that kids start working at 12-14 in order to help the parents save for a house.

Then again things get complicated when you include the invention of computers and DVDs and thousands of other little things that people seem to think are necessary these days that didn't even exist 40 years ago....

Sorry, this is a big derail. Carry on :D

S4maniac
09-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Not everyone is leaving because of cost. There are a lot cashing out and escaping the workcamp mentality that is overrunning the city.

Dont get me wrong, the best opportunity for making money in Canada is probably in Calgary. However, to me and others like me, money is only a part of our lives.

sputnik
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

One thing that worries me about a statement like this is that it fits in with the overall trend in North America where people are having to work harder and harder for what people took for granted 40 years ago. Time was a single income family could get a house after saving for 10 years. Then after a while it became a 2 income home. Then people started renting out their basements. And now you basically have the situation outlined here.

My grandparents in 1952 needed 2 incomes and person renting the basement to be able to afford a two storey house in Winnipeg.

The belief that anyone could afford a house on one income before the boom (or anywhere at anytime for that matter) is completely incorrect.

max_boost
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM

One thing that worries me about a statement like this is that it fits in with the overall trend in North America where people are having to work harder and harder for what people took for granted 40 years ago.

No man. The difference lies in the culture. My fob cousins came from China where with minimal education, working long hours on the farm for the equivalent of $3cdn/day. Living in conditions that would scare the shit out of most of you. Making enough to eat and my family would help them by sending money back.

So they come to Canada, while working 7 days a week, no car, no nice clothes is a shock to most of you, this is a life they will gladly trade their old one for.

I'm proud of them.

max_boost
09-03-2008, 01:20 PM

I'd wager in my life time we're going to see it being the norm that kids start working at 12-14 in order to help the parents save for a house.

What's wrong with renting? lol

I started working when I was 13. Almost near FT hours while in school but my parents needed me to so I made the sacrifice. Now trust me, back then I did it just so I could buy a pair of nice jeans, no idea where things would lead me so I'm just glad it worked out nicely.

sputnik
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Then again things get complicated when you include the invention of computers and DVDs and thousands of other little things that people seem to think are necessary these days that didn't even exist 40 years ago....

Here is the REAL truth behind it all.

Consider 1960 as an example...

- The average family of 4 lived in a 1200-1400 sq ft house. Now it is closer to 1800 sq ft. Do we REALLY need the extra space?

- The average family of 4 had one car. Now the number is closer to 3. Think of the monthly savings having less insurance, gas and car payments to make.

- The average family had ONE television and cable was a luxury. Now you have a TV in every other room and multiple receivers for your 500+ channel dish. You could probably save some good money every month by cutting back. How many people do you know replaced a perfectly good TV with an LCD or Plasma recently?

- We didnt waste money on gym memberships, personal trainers, diet clinics or supplements because we were more active and not sitting on the couch watching TV and eating processed food.

- Travelling in 1960 meant getting into the station wagon and driving across Canada or the US. Only the wealthy could afford to fly and most took road trips. Now the average couple think nothing about dropping $4000 on a credit card for week in Mexico because "they NEED it".

- Expensive clothing in 1960 was expensive because it was well made. It wasn't expensive because Justin Timberlake or Paris Hilton was wearing it. I can even remember when I was 13 and paying $65 for a pair of jeans was insane. Now people are dropping $250-300 for a pair of jeans. Ever notice how fake jeans and purses are a fairly recent phenomenon. It just wasn't profitable before now.

- Think about the other bills we didn't have in 1960. No money wasted on cell phones and high speed internet back then.

You can blame the economy all you want. However in reality you can still live quite comfortably on one income. You just can't have all of the luxuries that people have grown accustomed to over the past number of years.

Antonito
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
edit: Yeah, that's a little bit more than the "complicated" I was first thinking of....

Canmorite
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Calgary is alright, but like a lot of other people, I am here to work and go to school. I go to Canmore almost every weekend to escape the city.

The Cosworth
09-03-2008, 01:35 PM

- The average family of 4 lived in a 1200-1400 sq ft house. Now it is closer to 1800 sq ft. Do we REALLY need the extra space?

- The average family of 4 had one car. Now the number is closer to 3. Think of the monthly savings having less insurance, gas and car payments to make.

- The average family had ONE television and cable was a luxury. Now you have a TV in every other room and multiple receivers for your 500+ channel dish. You could probably save some good money every month by cutting back. How many people do you know replaced a perfectly good TV with an LCD or Plasma recently?

- We didnt waste money on gym memberships, personal trainers, diet clinics or supplements because we were more active and not sitting on the couch watching TV and eating processed food.

- Travelling in 1960 meant getting into the station wagon and driving across Canada or the US. Only the wealthy could afford to fly and most took road trips. Now the average couple think nothing about dropping $4000 on a credit card for week in Mexico because "they NEED it".

- Expensive clothing in 1960 was expensive because it was well made. It wasn't expensive because Justin Timberlake or Paris Hilton was wearing it. I can even remember when I was 13 and paying $65 for a pair of jeans was insane. Now people are dropping $250-300 for a pair of jeans. Ever notice how fake jeans and purses are a fairly recent phenomenon. It just wasn't profitable before now.

- Think about the other bills we didn't have in 1960. No money wasted on cell phones and high speed internet back then.

You can blame the economy all you want. However in reality you can still live quite comfortably on one income. You just can't have all of the luxuries that people have grown accustomed to over the past number of years.

good post

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM

- Expensive clothing in 1960 was expensive because it was well made. It wasn't expensive because Justin Timberlake or Paris Hilton was wearing it. I can even remember when I was 13 and paying $65 for a pair of jeans was insane. Now people are dropping $250-300 for a pair of jeans.

Jesus Titty Fucking Christ!
No fucking wonder you shitheads can't afford a house. Who the fuck is buying $300 jeans? Were you people born retarded, or was it some sort of tragic industrial accident?

How are pants worth $300? Do they contain the tears and dreams of unbaptised children? Are they woven from the golden pubic hair of Aphrodite? Do the pockets come full of coke?

Masked Bandit
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Where do you see this "mass exodus"?

Are there refugee camps in Saskatchewan or something?

I think the term "mass exodus" is a bit of an exaggeration wouldn't you say?

The Calgary population grew as of the 2007 census.

Well that's what I get for leaving my own thread for a few hours. I come back and it's three pages long!

As far as the exodus goes, I'm in a bit of unique position to observe the general population. I've been working as an insurance broker for the last nine years now doing mostly personal lines (regular car & house insurance). For the first seven years or so, I wrote probably 20 new policies for people moving into the province for every one that cancelled because they were moving away. Then it went flat for about a year (one new for every one cancel) and now, it's about a 15 to 1 flow going out.

What I'm finding with most of my clients that leave is that they are going back to wherever they came from, they are not moving to the next "Hot Spot" of the country (Saskatchewan right now). The funny thing is that when you sit down and look at the hard numbers on the cost of living, places like Saskatchewan aren't any cheaper than Calgary. If you have a family of four, by the time you factor in property taxes, provincial income taxes, cost of consumer goods and all that crap, I don't find Calgary all that bad.

Masked Bandit
09-03-2008, 01:37 PM

No fucking wonder you shitheads can't afford a house. Who the fuck is buying $300 jeans? Were you people born retarded, or was it some sort of tragic industrial accident?

How are pants worth $300? Do they contian the tears and dreams of unbaptised children? Are they woven from the golden pubic hair of Aphrodite? Do the pockets come full of coke?

Holy shit that's funny.....that's going in my signature!

Weapon_R
09-03-2008, 01:38 PM

How are pants worth $300? Do they contian the tears and dreams of unbaptised children? Are they woven from the golden pubic hair of Aphrodite? Do the pockets come full of coke?

Tons of people apparently. Take a look in the marketplace and almost anyone selling size 26-28 jeans has spent big money on them.

Masked Bandit
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM

I've read that list / comparo somewhere before and it's very true.

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Tons of people apparently. Take a look in the marketplace and almost anyone selling size 26-28 jeans has spent big money on them.

Holy shit you're right!

Just when I think my faith in humanity has hit rock bottom, some new stupidity gives me a push, and I realize I was just resting on a ledge...

dragonone
09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
well if some of u are buying luxury items and complaining about rent or mortgage then u really a lesson in budgeting, or how that has nothing to do with pussy

i came for school and left for some more school. everyone i kno that can afford to leave is leaving calgary. the kind of prices for the quality of houses here is a joke. same goes for food quality, customer service, accessibility, and i guess that affects gas. but if everything was nearby and ppl didn't need to buy houses in buttfuck nowhere gas prices wouldn't be such a big deal. not to mention this joke of a transit system we have, yet they're trying to spend that big chunk of money on a speed train to edmonton.

food/service is great here, and i love that the ocean is nearby. i don't club here but seeing that clubbing thread and none of that on revscene i'm guess it's alright here. u don't have to live in hongerville here, it's just as nice in greater van area or even white rock. now that's a million dollar view.

sputnik
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
You are in Vancouver complaining that Calgary is too expensive?

:nut:

g-m
09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

How are pants worth $300? Do they contain the tears and dreams of unbaptised children? Are they woven from the golden pubic hair of Aphrodite? Do the pockets come full of coke? Some people can't see the difference and thats why they don't buy high fashion. TRUST me, you can tell the difference between Bay jeans and Sevens unless whoever bought them is a total idiot and they don't fit/are a bad style for the person.

narou
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
:drama:

snoop101
09-03-2008, 02:29 PM
ok im confused. what does $300 jeans have to do with people moving out of Calgary. Wouldn't it be that they would be moving to Calgary so they can afford the jeans.

skyline19
09-03-2008, 03:09 PM
i was born and raised in Calgary and when i turned 16 i started a pipe fitting apprenticeship. Started making good money but pissed most of it away on booze. i was barely able to afford rent, ($900/month on a 1-bedroom apartment).

when i turned 20 i got a job offer from a company in BC called Teck Cominco and took it. It's been great since then and I'm making more money here then i would in Calgary. On top of that house prices out here are significantly cheaper than Calgary and are dropping steadily as well.

I am able to afford the lifestyle i want (although i don't drink nearly as much as i used to) as well as have a house in about a years time. I miss my friends and family from Calgary but i don't miss the city itself. As someone stated above me i didn't like the gangs and the homeless problem but most of all the damned drivers!

Antonito
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
skyline19, I'm assuming that you're not in Vancouver....

skyline19
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
no im located in the Trail/Castlegar region.

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Some people can't see the difference and thats why they don't buy high fashion. TRUST me, you can tell the difference between Bay jeans and Sevens unless whoever bought them is a total idiot and they don't fit/are a bad style for the person.

Unless they're going to felate me on a bi-hourly basis, there's no fucking way a pair of $300 jeans is worth $250 more than whatever crap I have on.

/subject

Masked Bandit
09-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Some people can't see the difference and thats why they don't buy high fashion. TRUST me, you can tell the difference between Bay jeans and Sevens unless whoever bought them is a total idiot and they don't fit/are a bad style for the person.

Well of course people can tell the difference.........

There's an extra $250 in the back pocket of the "Bay" jeans!

g-m
09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I guess I shouldn't even bother on a car forum based in calgary of all places. 90% of this city hasn't got a clue

TKRIS
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by g-m
I guess I shouldn't even bother on a car forum based in calgary of all places. 90% of this city hasn't got a clue

Says the pot who spends $300 on a pair of blue jeans...

On a serious note: I just got s shipment of bic, errr, I mean, ummm, Dancing Blue Jesus brand ballpoint pens in. Because noone in Calgary knows anything about high end writing instruments, I'm counting on hip cutting edge morons, err, young men like yourself to start the trend. As such, I'm prepared to offer introductory pricing of $39/each. You'll be amazed at how smooth these fuckers glide across the page. C'mon, you don't want to be left out do you? Everybody's going to make fun of you if you don't have one of these.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 03:49 PM

How are pants worth $300? Do they contain the tears and dreams of unbaptised children? Are they woven from the golden pubic hair of Aphrodite? Do the pockets come full of coke?

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Holy shit that's funny.....that's going in my signature!

+1....good stuff.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I go to bluenotes... buy one, second one is 50% off. Total of $70, so $35 each

Pollywog
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
On a serious note: I just got s shipment of bic, errr, I mean, ummm, Dancing Blue Jesus brand ballpoint pens in. Because noone in Calgary knows anything about high end writing instruments, I'm counting on hip cutting edge morons, err, young men like yourself to start the trend. As such, I'm prepared to offer introductory pricing of $39/each. You'll be amazed at how smooth these fuckers glide across the page. C'mon, you don't want to be left out do you? Everybody's going to make fun of you if you don't have one of these.

bremorr
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Says the pot who spends $300 on a pair of blue jeans...

How can I become a dealer of Dancing Blue Jesus brand ballpoint pens? I would like to have my house paid off this year and as I was told earlier, I should get off my ass and do somthing.:rofl: :rofl: Oh wait maybe I don't deserve it...... anyways I see lots of potential in your new brand, lets wrap them in gold foil and sell em for $100/ea or 2 for $150.

[EDIT] We can get the gold foil out of candy bars, re-wrap in a cheaper tissue paper sort of product and sell them as charity bars to help Haiti. This should land both of us into our new black AMEX cards and Bentley's ASAP.

Masked Bandit
09-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Well that's what I get for leaving my own thread for a few hours. I come back and it's three pages long!

As far as the exodus goes, I'm in a bit of unique position to observe the general population. I've been working as an insurance broker for the last nine years now doing mostly personal lines (regular car & house insurance). For the first seven years or so, I wrote probably 20 new policies for people moving into the province for every one that cancelled because they were moving away. Then it went flat for about a year (one new for every one cancel) and now, it's about a 15 to 1 flow going out.

What I'm finding with most of my clients that leave is that they are going back to wherever they came from, they are not moving to the next "Hot Spot" of the country (Saskatchewan right now). The funny thing is that when you sit down and look at the hard numbers on the cost of living, places like Saskatchewan aren't any cheaper than Calgary. If you have a family of four, by the time you factor in property taxes, provincial income taxes, cost of consumer goods and all that crap, I don't find Calgary all that bad.

Oops.

gkAeris
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
werid....... i can't afford to move OUT of Calgary

i had a couple offers in China/Hong Kong/Vancouver (surrey) and they don't even pay 50% of what i'm making now, i tried last year to move to Hong Kong and got offered a entry job making about 65% less than what i make now. China offered alot less on the almost exact description of my job.

2 years ago, i applied for a job in vancouver doing the exact thing i'm doing now and when the guy asked how much i make now, he laughed and said there is no way he can afford close to that rate.

for me it makes more sense for me to work work work for 3 months and then take a 1 month "vacation" to HK.....

and i'm on single income and i DO owe a condo downtown, and can afford it and my $300 jeans :rofl:

civic_rida
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
i down graded to sevens so i could put a litte more into savings :drama:

em2ab
09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Are we still hearing from people who actually left and not the entire population that simply wants to post their opinion in this thread? I left a year ago for a better salary with the intentions of coming back and having money to buy a house here to stay permanently (after moving out here from Newfoundland 3.5 years ago). But then I ended up getting fucked in the states and came back with nothing but debt.

Supa Dexta
09-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I would be willing to bet that more guys in this thread who make good money and are at a better point in their lives, don't bother trying to keep up with trends. And it's only the wanna be ballers over extending themselves, trying to show off and keep up? (with themselves?) and end up going backwards.

max_boost
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

i had a couple offers in China/Hong Kong/Vancouver (surrey) and they don't even pay 50% of what i'm making now, i tried last year to move to Hong Kong and got offered a entry job making about 65% less than what i make now. China offered alot less on the almost exact description of my job.

2 years ago, i applied for a job in vancouver doing the exact thing i'm doing now and when the guy asked how much i make now, he laughed and said there is no way he can afford close to that rate.

for me it makes more sense for me to work work work for 3 months and then take a 1 month "vacation" to HK.....

and i'm on single income and i DO owe a condo downtown, and can afford it and my $300 jeans :rofl:

Yep. I bet the average salary is higher in Calgary than most other cities.

You must have a nice boss. Who the heck can work 3 months and then take a month off? lol

I only buy the $300 jeans when I can get 25% off, so really, they are only around $225 lol

BerserkerCatSplat
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM

This post was worth re-quoting. I know guys who have expensive brand-name clothes (look at me, I spent $100 on a t-shirt!), run up massive bills on their smartphones, blow $200+ at the club every weekend, and still bitch about how expensive houses are and how Calgary sucks because they can't afford to move out of their parents' house. It blows my mind - my only luxuries are Internet and a cheap cell phone plan, and it's great - keeps my life uncomplicated.

rage2
09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
I would be willing to bet that more guys in this thread who make good money and are at a better point in their lives, don't bother trying to keep up with trends. And it's only the wanna be ballers over extending themselves, trying to show off and keep up? (with themselves?) and end up going backwards.
Everyone that's met me in person know that I dress like a homeless guy lol.

rmk
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Well said.

Another hobo here :rofl:

The Cosworth
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM

my boss wears jeans and is worth a pretty penny. They only way you would know would be his airplane. His old school infinity (ugly as shit) and chevy truck look worse than our senior managers.

I stopped wearing super dress clothes and things seem to be better between me and the upper management. I think it appeared I was trying to look baller.

Redlyne_mr2
09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

I never understood how you could take so much time off all the time.. you have the best job in the world lol. IMO people who sell their used Jeans on beyond couldnt afford them in the first place. Who would honestly make the time and effort to sell a used pair of jeans...??

Xtrema
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Who would honestly make the time and effort to sell a used pair of jeans...??

ORly? That's sad.

But I have to agree, quality may be shit, $300 jeans do look better if you have the right fit. And it may be the cost of entry into some crowds.

Count me in for the hobo crew.

CUG
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I've wanted out of Calgary for a long time. Not necessarily finances, rather, a warmer climate.

I have property here and would take a good profit if I sold.

Rage2 regarding OG Calgarians getting bonered; I would think its a complacency issue for them, in that they didn't see the opportunity as clearly as an outsider may have.

I didn't get fucked, as I'm obviously sitting on a good profit, but I didn't go from 45k a year to 6 figures.

There's a lot of angry people here. Oh well, I'm excited to retire in Arizona or somewhere nice.

max_boost
09-03-2008, 09:01 PM

:werd:

I'd say your style has improved quite a bit compared to the 02 days lol :rofl:

bremorr
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Dress like a homeless guy, yes. Roll like a homeless guy, no.

TomcoPDR
09-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by rmk

Well said.

Another hobo here :rofl:

+1 team hobos

These are my work shoes/ street shoes (if I go to store after work or something)..... SMELL THESE FEET suckers.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_2354.jpg

Hey, and at least some of you guys have a mortgage. I pay $3,000/month not even going towards equity, living in motels that I can only afford 2min showers while @ home. But I do take my bath salts with me on the road as hotel water = free.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_2355.jpg

To stay on topic, ahhhhh it doesn't really matter where you work or where you live man... everywhere in Canada is pretty much the same, lol

Just make your money and live... I call it get paid, get laid. :thumbsup:

Edit: Spelling

Altezza
09-04-2008, 01:03 AM

I disagree. Homeless people dress better than you. lol

TKRIS
09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Personally, I subscribe to the $80 rule.
Everything I'm wearing at any given time (outerwear not included) could be replaced with $80. It's usually ~$60.

You guys don't know "homeless" until you've seen my sorry ass. I'm a dangerous combination of shitty fashion sense coupled with not giving a shit.

So +1 for Team Hobo. Rage and I might have to have a Lebowski-Off to figure out who's going to be your leader.