PDA

View Full Version : 200 tickets handed out on the Deerfoot

Pages : [1] 2

TACO.VIDAL
01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I try to stay out of the east as much as possible and about the only time I hit the Deerfoot is going to the airport.

Anyone hear not so fortunate and get dinged this weekend?

200 tickets handed out on the Deerfoot

Updated: Mon Jan. 26 2009 17:58:22

ctvcalgary.ca

Police handed out nearly 200 tickets along Deerfoot Trail over the weekend.

"The reason we decided to do that is because traffic safety is a top issue for the public in Calgary," explains Sgt. Paul Sieracki from the Calgary Police Service.

The weekend blitz lasted for a couple of hours on Saturday and a couple of hours on Sunday.

"We were finding a lot of people speeding...lots of speeds in the 130's and the top speed was 158 km/h," says Sgt. Sieracki.

Along with speeding tickets, police also handed out summonses for drunk driving, unsafe lane changes and following too closely.

Officers say they will be targeting Deerfoot Trail more frequently this year in an effort to improve safety for motorists.

Canmorite
01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Good fundraiser.

89s1
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM
last time is was the stretch by mckenzietown, I wonder where they targeted this time.

CUG
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Good fundraiser. +1

revelations
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Its also PR for the traffic division - "look at us, were proactive, going after all those evil speeders on the DF"

4DoorGTZ
01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd rather see 200 gang members behind bars.

Eleanor
01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
So would the police.

Redlyne_mr2
01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Good fundraiser.
Yep.. it's been super cold out all month so none of them want to get chilly standing in random areas in the city. The needed to make some numbers in a hurry and where's a better spot than Deerfoot.

"The reason we decided to do that is because traffic safety is a top issue for the public in Calgary," explains Sgt. Paul Sieracki from the Calgary Police Service.

Don't know what Paul is talking about.. personally the gang issues is more of a top issue than a few people cruising along deerfoot.

Aleks
01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Yep.. it's been super cold out all month so none of them want to get chilly standing in random areas in the city. The needed to make some numbers in a hurry and where's a better spot than Deerfoot.

Don't know what Paul is talking about.. personally the gang issues is more of a top issue than a few people cruising along deerfoot.

x2

It is such BS.

FlySi
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
LOL, once again, the police hard at work.

whiskas
01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
They see me rollin they haaaaatin

Tik-Tok
01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Travelled it all weekend and didn't even see a cop.

A coworker did though, he said they had one cruiser set up on an overpass, then 2 more on both the northbound and southbound exit ramps, so the guy on the bridge laser'd people, then sent the dogs.

Pretty effective I guess... and pretty ghey.

sr20s14zenki
01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I dont think its gay at all, its about time they started doing something about the retards on deerfoot. Tailgate and speed some more.... assholes..

i am quite happy to do 115 in the middle lane, yah, i speed, minorly. There is no need to do 130, 140, 150, and thats what shitloads of people are doing. Are you in that big of a hurry you need to go that fast to commute? Give me a break

ragu
01-26-2009, 09:52 PM
^^ I bet you're not doing 115 in middle lane. Middle lane usually has suckers doing 85-100 so you can't go at 115. If slow movers weren't in fast lane, there would be barely anyone tailgating. :thumbsdow

sr20s14zenki
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ragu
^^ I bet you're not doing 115 in middle lane. Middle lane usually has suckers doing 85-100 so you can't go at 115. If slow movers weren't in fast lane, there would be barely anyone tailgating. :thumbsdow

i do do 115, cuz i use the "fast lane" for what its meant for, passing, and then moving back over.

and if everybody wasnt in such a hurry to go nowhere, there wouldnt be tailgating. Honestly, whats the difference between 115 and 125, like 3 minutes? ppl need to slow down and relax a bit.

ragu
01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Actually its less than 3 minutes....but these tickets on deerfoot are as gay as tint, exhaust or anything. Its a fucking highway meant to go fast, obviously 150-160 is way too fast but 130? come on...

HiTempguy1
01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

and if everybody wasnt in such a hurry to go nowhere, there wouldnt be tailgating. Honestly, whats the difference between 115 and 125, like 3 minutes? ppl need to slow down and relax a bit.

Actually, if you go 120km/h for an hour instead of 110km/h for an hour, you would be something like 6 minutes ahead of schedule (thats over an elapsed time of an hour)! Having said that, I've never ever sped in the city just to travel faster, it is ALWAYS to beat the retarded traffic light system that tends to make no sense. Each light you hit is worth at LEAST a minute (usually a lot more, especially if there are advances). Add 15 lights onto your route and you get really behind schedule!

Canmorite
01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Along with speeding tickets, police also handed out summonses for drunk driving, unsafe lane changes and following too closely.

This, I agree with. People who can't drive properly should be hauled off the road.

No turn signal = :banghead:

EDIT: Saw 3-4 sheriffs/police on the #1 today coming back from Canmore.

alloroc
01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I saw two photo radar setups.

It has been too cold for the usual police stops so the traffic department had to make its quota with photo radar tickets.

Be wary the next 4 days I bet they are still behind and it is going to be warmer.

ercchry
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM

i do do 115, cuz i use the "fast lane" for what its meant for, passing, and then moving back over.

is somebody growing up? hahaha

Fusion
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

So would the police.
Really ? I dont see that

Dj_Stylz
01-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Fusion

Really ? I dont see that

:facepalm:

BlackArcher101
01-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I laugh at some (or most in this thread) peoples concept of how a police force works. Blah blah blah, anything traffic related is BS and a cash grab, blah blah blah... why don't they put gangs behind bars... blah blah blah... gay tint ticket... blah blah blah....

It's like people still get surprised that you can be ticketed for traffic laws, just like they forget how to drive in the first snowfall.... but yet no matter what, it always surprises them when it happens and they complain.

And to the thought that they are doing this while warm because they don't like working in the cold, LOL... speeding among the public increases when the weather warms and the roads are clear of ice... so natrually they hold stings during that time to keep things in check. Come spring time you will see the same thing, just in larger numbers.

Thomas Gabriel
01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

It's like people still get surprised that you can be ticketed for traffic laws, just like they forget how to drive in the first snowfall.... but yet no matter what, it always surprises them when it happens and they complain.

It doesn't surprise them in the least bit - it pisses them off.

black13
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The whole quota thing where certain number of tickets have to be handed out each month is total bullshit and proves that its more of a cash grab than "top issue for the public".

They shouldn't be forced to go out and nab the smallest traffic violations and hand out tickets if they are under their quota.

sputnik
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Tickets for people going 130-160 km/h seems fair enough.

If they were giving tickets for 110-115 km/h that would be different.

DayGlow
01-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Fusion

Really ? I dont see that

Probably was around 5-6 traffic guys. Hardly the whole force. But you are right, stopping a guy for a bullshit complaint never leads to anything else.

revelations
01-26-2009, 11:29 PM

All the traffic guys do is deal with traffic.

If they pull over a known gang members vehicle, you can be certain every legality and fine is explored with regards to making their life miserable and expensive.

bashir26
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Still doesn't beat edmontons 2000 tickets handed out one day.

JfuckinC
01-27-2009, 12:38 AM
i always speed in the fast lane
whateverrrrrrrrrrr

Redlyne_mr2
01-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
I laugh at some (or most in this thread) peoples concept of how a police force works. Blah blah blah, anything traffic related is BS and a cash grab, blah blah blah... why don't they put gangs behind bars... blah blah blah... gay tint ticket... blah blah blah....

And to the thought that they are doing this while warm because they don't like working in the cold, LOL... speeding among the public increases when the weather warms and the roads are clear of ice... so natrually they hold stings during that time to keep things in check. Come spring time you will see the same thing, just in larger numbers.

I think what bothers people is that they setup in areas where people speed but where speeding poses no real danger. A good example would the Glenmore underpass as it was nearing completion. The speed limit at the time was 50kmhr, construction was complete, all lanes open so no reason to have the speed limit set at 50. The police knew there was no reason for this and knew people would speed because it made no sense to have it at 50 yet they parked there every single day ticketing people doing 70 or 80.

GOnSHO
01-27-2009, 01:18 AM
just saw 3 police vans set up on deerfoot between memorial and country hills under the bridges for photo radar... at 11:30 at night!?

little redicilous

GotRice?
01-27-2009, 01:33 AM
:banghead:

im one of those 200 tickets =(

7thgenvic
01-27-2009, 02:21 AM
time to get jammers on the new car :)

bashir26
01-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
time to get jammers on the new car :)

I don't think that will stop a cop from stopping you.

Just out of curiosity if you do have a jammer and the cop still stopped you what would you say at court? I have a jammer and the cop was estimating the speed?

zieg
01-27-2009, 03:02 AM
top speed was only 158?

alloroc
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Funny thing.

I just saw one of Calgary's more intelligent officers on the news this morning. When discussing this his response was something like...

"It is our experience that about 80% of all accidents are caused by three things.

inexperience
agressive driving
excessive speed
impaired driving

^ That is four things brainiac.

alloroc
01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?

im one of those 200 tickets =(
Photo radar?

nadroj23
01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Easy solution, dont speed? Im sick of people tailgating me when im doin 5-10 over the speed limit with hundreads of cars in front of me. Do you honestly think I can go anywhere? I dont understand whats another 2-5 mins to get where you need to be?

Not saying I dont speed, but I also dont complain when I get a ticket for breaking the law.

w_man
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
I saw them working away on Saturday and Sunday morning. They were setup around the northbound deerfoot between 64th AVE and Beddington trail. There were roughly 4 cruisers.

One guy would sit at the ramp facing north off of 64th ave with the laser, then run after you to pull you over before the beddington exit, give you a ticket, take the beddington exit, do a loop around and back on the ramp off of 64th.

I was going back and forth in that area to drop off/pick up wife ... quite an operation. I got lucky but then again I dont speed much ... The worst part is that this particular section is JUST before the speed limit goes from 100 to 110 .. so its quite common for commuters to increase their speed between these two exits .. common but not necc. dangerous ... a little rubish to setup a speed trap at this location.

alloroc
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23
Easy solution, dont speed? Im sick of people tailgating me when im doin 5-10 over the speed limit with hundreads of cars in front of me. Do you honestly think I can go anywhere? I dont understand whats another 2-5 mins to get where you need to be?

Not saying I dont speed, but I also dont complain when I get a ticket for breaking the law.

I don't think speeding / not speeding is the issue here. Most dangerous accidents do not happen "on" the deerfoot where tickets have been issued. Most of the serious accidents occur at the intersections. The city did a good thing in adding the lights from memorial west to deerfoot south.

The police claim they did this because ...

With public service jobs perception is the reality, and the perception is that gang violence (not speeding) is out of hand.

I am sorry to burst the CPS's bubble but right now the public would rather have those officers sitting inside their unmarked vans video taping gang activity than photographing someone going 120 on deerfoot.

Tik-Tok
01-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
the Deerfoot

Originally posted by w_man
the northbound deerfoot

Originally posted by alloroc
the deerfoot

Definite — the

Uses

* Before nouns of which there is only one.
"The earth is round."
* Before a noun which has become definite as a result of being mentioned a second time.
"We saw a good film last night. It was the film you recommended."
* Before a noun made definite by the addition of a phrase or clause.
"The woman dressed in black."
* Before a noun which, by reason of locality, can represent only one particular thing.
"There’s a bee in the kitchen."
* Before superlatives and "first", "second" and "only"
"The longest river in the world."
* Before singular nouns used to represent a class of objects.
"The donkey is a very obstinate animal."
* Before an adjective used to represent a class of persons.
"That tax hurts the rich."
* Before names of seas, rivers, chains of mountains, groups of islands and plural names of countries.
"the Pacific Ocean, the Thames, the Andes, the West Indies, the Netherlands"
* Before musical instruments.
"She plays the piano"

Not Used

* Before countries, towns, proper names.
"Charlie lived in Chicago in America"
* Before abstract nouns.
"Jealousy can be dangerous."
* Before parts of the body and articles of clothing — these normally prefer a possessive adjective.
"Lift your left arm."
"He removed his hat."

khtm
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deerfoot_Trail

The Deerfoot stretches nearly 50 kilometres (30 mi) from Country Hills Boulevard...

revelations
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by bashir26

I don't think that will stop a cop from stopping you.

Just out of curiosity if you do have a jammer and the cop still stopped you what would you say at court? I have a jammer and the cop was estimating the speed?

The cop would likely say his equipment didnt give him a speed reading so he used a visual estimation of speed instead - youd have to be going over the limit by a fair amount for that charge to stick however, +10 kph ticket for eg wont stick vs a +50 kph ticket which probably would.

lidar jammers are legal, radar jammers are not

Tik-Tok
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by khtm
^

You may as well be quoting another random internet forum for proper grammar.

alloroc
01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I type too slow to worry about typing "deerfoot trail" in the way that suits you best.

So I counter offer,

Define this ...

FUCK YOU!

asshole.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Definite — the

Uses

* Before nouns of which there is only one.
"The earth is round."
* Before a noun which has become definite as a result of being mentioned a second time.
"We saw a good film last night. It was the film you recommended."
* Before a noun made definite by the addition of a phrase or clause.
"The woman dressed in black."
* Before a noun which, by reason of locality, can represent only one particular thing.
"There’s a bee in the kitchen."
* Before superlatives and "first", "second" and "only"
"The longest river in the world."
* Before singular nouns used to represent a class of objects.
"The donkey is a very obstinate animal."
* Before an adjective used to represent a class of persons.
"That tax hurts the rich."
* Before names of seas, rivers, chains of mountains, groups of islands and plural names of countries.
"the Pacific Ocean, the Thames, the Andes, the West Indies, the Netherlands"
* Before musical instruments.
"She plays the piano"

Not Used

* Before countries, towns, proper names.
"Charlie lived in Chicago in America"
* Before abstract nouns.
"Jealousy can be dangerous."
* Before parts of the body and articles of clothing — these normally prefer a possessive adjective.
"Lift your left arm."
"He removed his hat."

googe
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
the Deerfoot

dino_martini
01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
The top ticket was only 158km/h? Thats nothing, Im sure that can be topped :devil: :rofl:

Just kidding of course :)

alloroc
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
I type too slow to worry about typing "deerfoot trail" in the way that suits you best.

So I counter offer,

Define this ...

FUCK YOU!

asshole.

btw sorry for the venting that was not the called for.

Having the stressfull day at the work.

I understand the point and will try the harder to not the again.

Eleanor
01-27-2009, 11:00 AM

I knew you were going to come along eventually :rofl: :D

Shunsui
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
The top ticket was only 158km/h? Thats nothing, Im sure that can be topped :devil: :rofl:

LOL I was saying the samething, I topped 160 that weekend in my Mom's civic lol.

dimi
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Speeding 10 over puts NOONE in danger. Its retards on their cell phones, eating during driving, DUI, or any sort of multi taskers that pose the biggest risk.

semograd
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
^

Are you on The pot?

sputnik
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
^

Do you also say... "the crowchild" or "the glenmore"?

khtm
01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Wikipedia has been proven to be more accurate than printed encyclopedias. Deerfoot Trail is commonly known as "The Deerfoot". I agree that it sounds retarded. I don't use that nomenclature myself.

Get over it. That's just the way it is.

PS. I like how someone in this thread was lame enough to edit it. :rofl:

Aleks
01-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I hear THE Deerfoot on the news all the time as well. It is really weird. :dunno:

Kona9
01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by black13
The whole quota thing where certain number of tickets have to be handed out each month is total bullshit and proves that its more of a cash grab than "top issue for the public".

They shouldn't be forced to go out and nab the smallest traffic violations and hand out tickets if they are under their quota.

You are right, people working on a Police Force are completely exempt from obtaining monthly/annual numbers/quotas.

I don't know what you do for a living, nor do I care, although I am sure if you weren't completing what was asked of you by a certain time, there would be repercussions.

I LOL @ "cash grab"

How does the fact that 200 people that apparently don't comprehend or care about a posted limit or a written law, become a cash grab? Don't drive like a retard and your money will stay in your wallet. CPS doesn't grab shit outta your wallet. One pays due to proof they can't read and react!

I will however say that A) I am no angel. I speed. (not excessively or insane) I am also willing to pay whatever ticket I get. and B) What Redlyne posted is a situation that is somewhat unfair. Only to the point that the posted limits seemed very inaccurate for the road way being travelled.

PS- for the stupid shits that can't figure it out. A police force is made up of MANY positions. If you are a constable in the Traffic section, you go after traffic violations not gang related issues.
It's like working in an Engineering firm. Sure there are A LOT of people but you won't see the chicks in Document Control signing off drawings for the design of a gas plant. FUCK PEOPLE get your head out of your asses and get on with life.

/rant

Redlyne_mr2
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
^^^ Well said.. thanks buddy. :)

Akagi Redsuns
01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I think what bothers people is that they setup in areas where people speed but where speeding poses no real danger. A good example would the Glenmore underpass as it was nearing completion. The speed limit at the time was 50kmhr, construction was complete, all lanes open so no reason to have the speed limit set at 50. The police knew there was no reason for this and knew people would speed because it made no sense to have it at 50 yet they parked there every single day ticketing people doing 70 or 80.

The other place they love is south McLeod Trail as you leave the city. A road designed for 110 km/hr speed but yet it's 80 because of the traffic light at 194ave to go to Lake Chaparral.

I'm actually surprised they didn't setup near the calf robe bridge. It's been a 80km/hr zone forever, yet I haven't seen a piece of construction or equipment in well over a month. Probably 1% of the cars go the speed limit. Park photoradar there and they would get a few months quota in no time.

Ca_Silvia13
01-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I only drive that fast to get out of the NE

Shunsui
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
I only drive that fast to get out of the NE

LOL, gotta run from da ghetto eh?

TorqueDog
01-27-2009, 11:53 PM
A 'friend of a friend' made it home from Banff this weekend in excellent time, averaging about 160 KM/H all the way.

Thankfully the authorities were too busy on Deerfoot Trail and other bits of Highway #2 to really bother with lil' old Highway #1.

This friend of a friend asked to pass on a message: he would like to thank the Alberta Highway Patrol and the RCMP for 'not bothering' with the Trans-Canada. :D

Canmorite
01-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
A 'friend of a friend' made it home from Banff this weekend in excellent time, averaging about 160 KM/H all the way.

Thankfully the authorities were too busy on Deerfoot Trail and other bits of Highway #2 to really bother with lil' old Highway #1.

This friend of a friend asked to pass on a message: he would like to thank the Alberta Highway Patrol and the RCMP for 'not bothering' with the Trans-Canada. :D

I saw three police cars on the way to Calgary on Sunday afternoon :dunno:

Usually don't see that many though.

403Gemini
01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

No you're not ! 158 is an embarassment! Should be ~200 AT LEAST! ;)

403Gemini
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Quick question about one of the strategy's cops use on Deerfoot.

If they have a cop up top on the over pass hitting you with the radar and he calls down to the ghost cars to pull you over for say going 25+ the speed limit... isn't it your legal right to ask to see the radar gun that says you were going that fast?

In this instance, the guy up top would have likely cleared your speed as he is targetting other drivers to radar down to the other ghost cars on Deerfoot... let alone he'd have to hop in his crusier, drive down, and show you if he still had it.

So if they can't provide proof to you on the spot, can they still give you the ticket?

googe
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
^thats a myth, you dont have a right to see the reading

TorqueDog
01-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I saw three police cars on the way to Calgary on Sunday afternoon :dunno:

Usually don't see that many though. He tells me he was coming back on Saturday night and didn't see one. :thumbsup:

DayGlow
01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Quick question about one of the strategy's cops use on Deerfoot.

If they have a cop up top on the over pass hitting you with the radar and he calls down to the ghost cars to pull you over for say going 25+ the speed limit... isn't it your legal right to ask to see the radar gun that says you were going that fast?

In this instance, the guy up top would have likely cleared your speed as he is targetting other drivers to radar down to the other ghost cars on Deerfoot... let alone he'd have to hop in his crusier, drive down, and show you if he still had it.

So if they can't provide proof to you on the spot, can they still give you the ticket?

The court's opinion is that the cop is the one trained in the use of the device so they don't have to verify it with anyone. I see no reason why not to show the reading if someone asks and I make note that the driver agreed with the reading shown ;)

rumeo
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
haha my friend got busted on HWY 2 on the way to red deer going 150...ticket was cheap though for going so fast ($200).

mustanghatr
02-09-2009, 12:33 AM
i got caught when they were set up by mckenzie on 130th ave last fall got caught doing 151km but got off the cop didnt sign the ticket. That was quite the set up they had going tho

extm88
02-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Can someone clarify if this is a myth as well....

I heard that if your caught speeding and then the cop loses site of your vehicle for a certain time (say 5 seconds) then you cant be ticketed because theres no way to proove that you were driving.

Sounds stupid but i have heard it more than once.

black13
02-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by extm88
Can someone clarify if this is a myth as well....

I heard that if your caught speeding and then the cop loses site of your vehicle for a certain time (say 5 seconds) then you cant be ticketed because theres no way to proove that you were driving.

Sounds stupid but i have heard it more than once.

Your right, that is stupid. Do you really think the cop is gonna let a car go cause they aren't sure that was the vehicle speeding? Maybe if like it was a common Civic and there were other civics that looked just like it but come on, running away from the cops and hiding for 5 sec isn't gonna get you off the hook. This isn't Grand Theft Calgary.

bart
02-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by googe
^thats a myth, you dont have a right to see the reading

in europe they show you all the time, i think they have to. as well their radar guns have a timer, it says how long ago the reading was made so its not someone elses prior speed.

i heard cops aren't allowed to hide when catching people, is that true?

extm88
02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
i never said i thought it:thumbsup:
Just said i heard it over the years from random people.

My guess would be they all have their licenses suspended using this method lol.

Ice712
02-09-2009, 08:29 AM

What do you think poses more of a danger to the public...gang members or dangerous drivers on the Deerfoot?

googe
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
apparently The Macleod is where the trouble is these days

Rat Fink
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Eleanor
02-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by black13
running away from the cops and hiding for 5 sec isn't gonna get you off the hook. This isn't Grand Theft Calgary. :rofl:

Aleks
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

...the province should make the driving tests a lot harder, introduce continued testing (be tested every couple years), and people getting their license should be forced to take (and pass) a basic maintenance course as well.

I agree with this part of it. Once the poor drivers are off the road (ones that dont' know how to properly use our road system) I bet there would be a lot less speeding and road rage in general.

403Gemini
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

The court's opinion is that the cop is the one trained in the use of the device so they don't have to verify it with anyone. I see no reason why not to show the reading if someone asks and I make note that the driver agreed with the reading shown ;)

I was just curious, cause a cop pulled me over on Macleod about a month ago saying I was going 140 (when I'll admit, i was goin 90, so only 10 over) so i said bullshit, proove it. he went to his car, came back and said "you're lucky somebody just got murdered!" and "let me go" ... the next day i checked the news, nobody got murdered... nor stabbed... nor shot.

Obviously the cop is the one trained at using it, but without proof its their word against yours, whats stopping the ones without integrity to just inflate the speed and say the person they pulled over was going faster? If the cop was able to pull out his radar gun that showed me going 140 , i suppose I wouldn't have had much of an argument.

Canmorite
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I agree with what others have said. There is really no point to speeding. Save a few minutes at the most on a commute through Deerfoot. a 200 dollar ticket quickly makes all that speeding not worth it at all.

And what point does tailgating make? Does it make you go any faster?

I'm glad the cops are doing this. They should crack down harder on it, and the province should make the driving tests a lot harder, introduce continued testing (be tested every couple years), and people getting their license should be forced to take (and pass) a basic maintenance course as well.

Well not everyone does it to get there a few mins faster.

sr20s14zenki
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Well not everyone does it to get there a few mins faster.

Then what possible reason is there to speed?

bashir26
02-10-2009, 01:11 AM

Then what possible reason is there to speed?

One word. Excitement.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by bashir26

One word. Excitement.

Thats fine, speed, fulfill your excitement, get a ticket and deserve it that way. Everything comes with a cost. Maybe the excitement will turn to terror one day as the person driving for excitement crashes into the ass end of a family veichle just trying to get their kids to school or something.

Theres no reason to speed excessively.

Yes, i speed, i do 115 on deerfoot, not 140+ like some of these retards. Do i have the skills to successfully navigate deerfoot at 140, weaving thru traffic? Yes, i do. Do I do it? NO. Its dangerous, and not necissary, and not worth the risk. I would rather get where im going without hurting myself or others.

yes, i speed on hiway2 out of calgary, i do 125, but keep in mind, EVERYBODY is doing that speed, usually even in the slow lane. That to me is reasonable speeding. These douchebags in their big trucks that feel the need to do 140+ can just screw off, theres no need for it. Not to mention, thats a nice 30 over ticket. I doubt im going to get a ticket for 15 over, altho i accept that as a possibility, and will never bitch or whine if i get it, unless i get singled out and every single car on the road was going the same speed as me.

Again, there is no reason to speed like a retard. Every person that got a ticket, deserved it 100%. SLOW DOWN!

Canmorite
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Yes, I speed, i do 115 on deerfoot, not 140+ like some of these retards. Do i have the skills to successfully navigate deerfoot at 140, weaving thru traffic? Yes, i do. Do I do it? NO. Its dangerous, and not necissary, and not worth the risk. I would rather get where im going without hurting myself or others.

yes, i speed on hiway2 out of calgary, i do 125, but keep in mind, EVERYBODY is doing that speed, usually even in the slow lane. That to me is reasonable speeding. These douchebags in their big trucks that feel the need to do 140+ can just screw off, theres no need for it. Not to mention, thats a nice 30 over ticket. I doubt im going to get a ticket for 15 over, altho i accept that as a possibility, and will never bitch or whine if i get it, unless i get singled out and every single car on the road was going the same speed as me.

Again, there is no reason to speed like a retard. Every person that got a ticket, deserved it 100%. SLOW DOWN!

115 isn't speeding, that's the flow of traffic. Hell, you could argue that 140 is the flow on Deerfoot sometimes.

What about long stretches of open highway? Backroads with no one around?

I think most people are fairly fed up with the arbitrary limits on the highways. 110 is ridiculously slow.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM

115 isn't speeding, that's the flow of traffic. Hell, you could argue that 140 is the flow on Deerfoot sometimes.

What about long stretches of open highway? Backroads with no one around?

I think most people are fairly fed up with the arbitrary limits on the highways. 110 is ridiculously slow.

It is NOT rediculously slow, jesus christ, some of these moron drivers shouldnt even be allowed to do 60 because their brain cant work fast enuff to react even at that speed. Yknow what the problem is these days? Hurried little lives. Everybody is in such a god damn hurry to get places, for what....honestly. Is it going to trim 5 or 10 minutes off your trip? Get real. Im not saying speed is a problem on deerfoot, or in alberta, im saying, how easy it is to get a license here, combined with the current speed is the problem. The reason europe can have the autobahn, and other stretches of high speed road, is because their licensing system is wayyyy more demanding than ours. When we revamp our licensing system, we can revamp the speed limit, until then...really, honestly, what is the rush...

backroads with nobody around? what if somebody is around and YOU dont know it, are you telling me you have xray vision and can see everything everywhere? But, regardless, i think you should be able to do whatever you want when nobody is around, but when you lose control and crash, nobody should come and help you. You speed, you deal with the consequences. The problem with speed, is that control is often an illusion. While YOU may think that you are in control, all it takes is one little thing that ISNT in your control to crash you.

bart
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
getting a license here is like buying cereal and finding it inside ;) thats what i always say haha

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by bart
getting a license here is like buying cereal and finding it inside ;) thats what i always say haha

no shit, in some places in europe, from what i understand, its like 1000$ to get your license, and then you are REQUIRED to take a mandatory winter driving course. No winter driving, no license. Also, from what i understand, their driving course is like 2 months.

Im not saying those are exact numbers, im just saying a point.

googe
02-10-2009, 10:58 PM

It is NOT rediculously slow, jesus christ, some of these moron drivers shouldnt even be allowed to do 60 because their brain cant work fast enuff to react even at that speed. Yknow what the problem is these days? Hurried little lives. Everybody is in such a god damn hurry to get places, for what....honestly. Is it going to trim 5 or 10 minutes off your trip? Get real. Im not saying speed is a problem on deerfoot, or in alberta, im saying, how easy it is to get a license here, combined with the current speed is the problem. The reason europe can have the autobahn, and other stretches of high speed road, is because their licensing system is wayyyy more demanding than ours. When we revamp our licensing system, we can revamp the speed limit, until then...really, honestly, what is the rush...

backroads with nobody around? what if somebody is around and YOU dont know it, are you telling me you have xray vision and can see everything everywhere? But, regardless, i think you should be able to do whatever you want when nobody is around, but when you lose control and crash, nobody should come and help you. You speed, you deal with the consequences. The problem with speed, is that control is often an illusion. While YOU may think that you are in control, all it takes is one little thing that ISNT in your control to crash you.

http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2007/11/crybaby.jpg

msommers
02-10-2009, 11:27 PM

It is NOT rediculously slow, jesus christ, some of these moron drivers shouldnt even be allowed to do 60 because their brain cant work fast enuff to react even at that speed.

This has larger problems tied to it: handing out licenses to anybody and is not properly regulated. Driving is not a right and should be strictly enforced. Theoretically, if everyone was properly trained, doing 150 on deerfoot wouldn't be an issue.

What would proper training do:
- Learn to leave space between vehicles
- Learn to stay out of the far left lane
- Learn to properly merge
- Learn proper signally and lane changes (nothing pisses me off more than a signal when you're already halfway in my lane, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP DICKWAD)

And this is just on deerfoot!

Speeding isn't the issue, it's the retards on the road that cannot operate their vehicle properly yet have a license and feel like that is their 'rights card.'

Retards who are not aware and don't actually know the rules, coupled with shitty road design (deerfoot and glenmore, who was on acid that day) are the reasons there are problems. Accidents do happen but that's because shit happens. Being a incompetent driver is not a suitable excuse.

bashir26
02-11-2009, 12:40 AM

Thats fine, speed, fulfill your excitement.

How else am I supposed to reach vtech?

Aniki
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM

:rofl:

sr20s14zenki
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Coming most likely from somebody who is a habitual speeder?

Nice one tho, too bad it really doesnt make sense, i believe what i am saying make sense, and im sure 90% of the population will agree with me, so what you say, isnt worth shit. But thanks for coming out...

Originally posted by msommers

This has larger problems tied to it: handing out licenses to anybody and is not properly regulated. Driving is not a right and should be strictly enforced. Theoretically, if everyone was properly trained, doing 150 on deerfoot wouldn't be an issue.

What would proper training do:
- Learn to leave space between vehicles
- Learn to stay out of the far left lane
- Learn to properly merge
- Learn proper signally and lane changes (nothing pisses me off more than a signal when you're already halfway in my lane, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP DICKWAD)

And this is just on deerfoot!

Speeding isn't the issue, it's the retards on the road that cannot operate their vehicle properly yet have a license and feel like that is their 'rights card.'

Retards who are not aware and don't actually know the rules, coupled with shitty road design (deerfoot and glenmore, who was on acid that day) are the reasons there are problems. Accidents do happen but that's because shit happens. Being a incompetent driver is not a suitable excuse.

I agree with you 100%, thats basically what i was trying to say. Until we reform our licensing system, this is going to continue, and the speed limit should stay the same as it is.

Canmorite
02-11-2009, 06:54 PM

You speed, you deal with the consequences. The problem with speed, is that control is often an illusion. While YOU may think that you are in control, all it takes is one little thing that ISNT in your control to crash you.

I do deal with the consequences. It's a risk I'm willing to take, just like getting on a plane or dropping a large cliff while skiing. I know the risks, I take them.

Agreed on the driver instruction front. I've taken a mock driver's test in Germany and it's WAY tougher then anything we have here. From skidpads, slalom courses, full ABS braking and even simulated icy roads. Our system looks like a joke :rofl:

R&D
09-13-2010, 08:52 PM
What method was used?? Just wondering.

mr2mike
09-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I've been using trapster on my bb like its my job. Turn it on as soon as I start the car. Seems like more ppl are using it.

frizzlefry
09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by R&D
What method was used?? Just wondering.

Ka-Band radar. My V1 picks it up kilometers away. The ghost cars (new white trucks) were running it past weekend near the construction zone (construction zone as in cones on the road, no work being done, no lanes closed) They can't use lidar on deerfoot.....can't use it moving, too dangerous to walk out onto deerfoot and wave someone over into a trap.

R&D
09-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry

Ka-Band radar. My V1 picks it up kilometers away. The ghost cars (new white trucks) were running it past weekend near the construction zone (construction zone as in cones on the road, no work being done, no lanes closed) They can't use lidar on deerfoot.....can't use it moving, too dangerous to walk out onto deerfoot and wave someone over into a trap.

Thanks, last time I was there in June, I had a whistler XLR 690SE (I think it what it is called) I still have it, but have a Escort 9500IX as well now, like that a lot better. yes I was picking KA band up quit a bit on the Deerfoot.

R&D
09-13-2010, 09:42 PM
frizzlefry PM sent.

luxor
09-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry

Ka? Please do explain. Are they the installed in the unmarked car and radar you from behind to get your speed? I know RCMP uses this a lot on the highways but rarely hear this for CPS. I usually see them laser on the side of the road (hidden) or laser from the inside of their car and then initiate a chase right after.