PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2011-2012 Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Quizzes
04-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't think anyone can argue that this season was somewhat entertaining, for lack of a better word. With a poor start to begin the first half of the season, only to become one of the better teams through the last half of the season, the 2010-11 Calgary Flames truly was a Jekyll & Hyde hockey club.

Rumors of trading away THE BEST franchise player this team’s ever had was a regular topic throughout much of the 2010 calendar year among local fans and national media alike. Rumor-mongering of this sort can be justified considering how the team performed in 2010 going back to last season. Iginla wasn’t the only one targeted for trade talks... Aside from Giordano and Jackman, nearly all of the Flames roster took their turn in the spinning wheel of relocation. But surprisingly, only Ian White and Brett Sutter fell victim to the wheel. Out of all the player transactions (or lack thereof), the single biggest transaction the Flames did this season was the removal of savior and one-time hockey genius, Darryl Sutter from the General Manager's position. Almost everyone can point to the turnaround of the Flames season solely on this decision, and rightfully so. A change in culture and a breath of fresh air was finally flowing through the locker room. Coaches were able to drive their message across, players were playing loose and having fun, team started piling up wins and fans were getting excited again. Pretty soon, all the rumors seemed to slowly disappear… or has it?

Here’s a quick glance at the current Flames roster and what the landscape looks like for the upcoming season:

Player [Age] – 2010-11 Salary (Cap Hit) / 2011-12 Salary (Cap Hit)

---FORWARDS---
Jarome Iginla [33] – $7.0M (7.0) / $7.0M (7.0)
Daymond Langkow [33] – $4.25M (4.5) / $4.5M (4.5)
Matt Stajan [26] – $4.5M (3.5) / $4.5M (3.5)
Rene Bourque [28] – $4.0M (3.333) / $4.0M (3.333)
Niklas Hagman [30] – $3.0M (3.0) / $3.0M (3.0)
Olli Jokinen [31] – $3.0M (3.0) / $3.0M (3.0)
Alex Tanguay [30] – $1.7M (1.7) / UFA
David Moss [28] – $1.3M (1.3) / $1.3M (1.3)
Mikael Backlund [21] – $0.875M (1.271) / $0.787M (1.271)
Curtis Glencross [27] – $1.2M (1.2) / UFA
Brendan Morrison [34] – $0.725M (0.725) / UFA
Tom Kostopoulous [31] – $0.95M (0.917) / $1.1M (0.917)
Raitis Ivanans [31] – $0.6M (0.6) / $0.6M (0.6)
Tim Jackman [28] – $0.55M (0.55) / $0.55M (0.55)
Fredrik Modin [35] – $0.8M (0.8) / UFA

---DEFENCEMEN---
Jay Bouwmeester [26] – $6.6M (6.68) / $6.6M (6.68)
Robyn Regehr [30] - $4.0M (4.02) / $4.0M (4.02)
Cory Sarich [31] - $3.7M (3.6) / $3.3M (3.6)
Steve Staios [36] - $2.2M (2.7) / UFA
Anton Babchuk [26] - $1.4M (1.4) / UFA
Mark Giordano [26] - $1.075M (0.892) / $4.02M (4.02)
Adam Pardy [26] - $0.7M (0.7) / UFA
Brendan Mikkelson [23] - $0.688M (0.688) / RFA
Brett Carson [24] - $0.5M (0.5) / RFA

---GOALIES---
Miikka Kiprusoff [33] - $7.0M (5.833) / $6.0M (5.833)
Henrik Karlsson [26] - $0.5M (0.5) / UFA

---OTHER NOTABLES---
F - Ales Kotalik [31] - $3.0M (3.0) / $3.0M (3.0)
F - Lance Bouma [20] - $0.57M (0.693) / $0.595M (0.693)
F - Greg Nemisz [20] - $0.875M (1.046) / $0.875 (1.046)
F - Stefan Meyer [24] - $0.5M (0.512) / $0.525 (0.512)
D - T.J. Brodie [20] - $0.575M (0.733) / $0.575M (0.733)
D - Matt Pelech [23] - $0.6M (0.6) / RFA
G - Leland Irving [23] - $0.765M (1.193) / RFA

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

max_boost
04-10-2011, 11:06 PM
:goflames:

We will make the playoffs next year!

adam c
04-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Thread should be locked until after the playoffs are done

Quizzes
04-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by adam c
Thread should be locked until after the playoffs are done

Nope. The new Flames season begins today.

D'z Nutz
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah, the Flames have nothing to do with the playoffs except for watching it from home :(

AaronK
04-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Here's to hopin the flames can dump some salary from useless players (Stajan, Hagman, maybe Bouwmeester if we can get a good enough return for him) and resign Tangs, Glenny, Babchuck, Karlsson, maybe BMo (if we drop a center), maybe even Carson or Mikkelson.

Here's to next season, it's gonna be a good one!!

dino_martini
04-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Hopefully since the Flames were sort of half bad this season tickets will be cheaper next season...nevermind I will keep dreaming :banghead: :goflames:

But on a serious note, I hope we see Iggy in Flames colors next season!

P_D
04-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Who would have thought Jay Bouwmeester would still not have played a single playoff game. I'm going out on a limb and saying he doenst play one in Calgary.

SilverGS
04-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by AaronK
Here's to hopin the flames can dump some salary from useless players (Stajan, Hagman, maybe Bouwmeester if we can get a good enough return for him) and resign Tangs, Glenny, Babchuck, Karlsson, maybe BMo (if we drop a center), maybe even Carson or Mikkelson.

Here's to next season, it's gonna be a good one!!

Add Kotalik to that list of people gone from the roster. Hope he bolts for Russia but hard to see that when he will get a 3 mill pay day over here for nothing.

I dougt we can move J-Bo or even Hagman and Stajan at their salaries but like you said we can always hope.

SilverRex
04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
anyone think keeping the current roster would be a good idea? for all we know, maybe we finally have right team and right management

is it even possible to keep the current lineup based on the salaries for next season?

SilverGS
04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
anyone think keeping the current roster would be a good idea? for all we know, maybe we finally have right team and right management

is it even possible to keep the current lineup based on the salaries for next season?

Well Feaster mentioned we have about 4.1 mill to work with. I would like to see Tangauy, Glencross, BMo, and Babchuck resigned. I think we should be able to get one or two of Pardy, Carson, and Michelson on the cheap.

If Kotalik bolts that gives us another 3 mill to work with. If he doesn't we can probably only sign Tangauy. I think by far he is priority #1.

I am hoping we somehow can get BMo back on the cheap. 1 Mill less for his production would be fabulous but seems unlikely. Babchuck will want a raise as well. Can't see him getting less than 3 so probably gone unless we can make some moves to dump salary.

Just need to get rid of one or 2 bad contracts to make things work but the big problem is getting rid of not so good contracts is very difficult.

Kloubek
04-11-2011, 09:55 AM
If the Flames could re-sign Alex Tanguay, Morrison and Karlsson for similar pay, those would be obvious moves they'd want to make. Perhaps try to resign Staios for lesser pay - perhaps around 1.5? While SilverGS doesn't think Morrison could be had again for cheap, I don't think it would take a ton more for him to re-sign. He just wants to play in the NHL.

Perhaps putting Kotalik on waivers and subsequent re-entry waivers again might interest someone in the off-season.

I think they should try to unload JayBo somewhere - although a 7 million dollar contract will be very difficult to move, and Giordano's increase to over 4 million is gonna eat up a ton of cap space, which will need to be addressed somehow.

Babchuk is going to end up walking in search of a bigger contract elsewhere, which is quite unfortunate - he played well.

There will certainly be a new look next season - though I can't say the changes are bound to be good ones. I think the Flames will be working with even less next year, if anything....

ICEBERG
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Haha.. A new FLAMES thread has started and the Canuck fans have already started trolling with their wisdom.:D:thumbsup:

NightFX2
04-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Perhaps try to resign Staios for lesser pay - perhaps around 1.5?

Wouldn't resign Staios for free, management and coaches need to start letting some of the rookies play in the bottom pairings.

D'z Nutz
04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
Haha.. A new FLAMES thread has started and the Canuck fans have already started trolling with their wisdom.:D:thumbsup:

I don't see how he's trolling. Kloubek is more informative and realistic than a lot of "Flames fans".

AaronK
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah he's definitely not trolling, and he brings up a lot of good points.

Kloubek
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by NightFX2

Wouldn't resign Staios for free, management and coaches need to start letting some of the rookies play in the bottom pairings.

I get what you're saying - and I must admit I'm not that familiar with the rookie d-men in the system. That might indeed be the case. But I think that the leadership and knowledge of a player like Staios might be beneficial in their development? Maybe... maybe not.

As far as trolling, if you view any of my posts in last year's Calgary thread, you would know that is most certainly not the case. Although I might be a devout Canucks fan, Calgary is my "second team", and I want them to succeed. I'm sick and tired of people painting me, and other *hockey* fans with such a broad brush.

ICEBERG
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I don't see how he's trolling. Kloubek is more informative and realistic than a lot of "Flames fans".

That's fine with me D'z.. You know i been posting here for years and never called anyone names, and as a flames fan out of respect i don't post at canucks thread, and never have. If they keep it realistic thats fine with me.

Cheers,

Freeskier
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah Kloubeck's definitely got his head on right, a legit hockey fan first, Canucks fan second.

I'm still not convinced Bouwmeester is as shitty as people seem to think, but holy hell do we pay him alot. I think if we can make some minor shuffles we could be back in playoff contention next year.

edit: does anyone know the situation with Feaster?

Atriux
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
^ Exactly.. he's not necessarily dreadful, but he's definitely not playing at 6.6m hockey.

Quizzes
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, the problem with J-Bo is his salary. For the lack of production and sometimes soft play, it shouldn't amount to anything more than $5M at the most. It's great that he can log a ton of minutes and play sound defensively, but if that's all you're gonna get from him, then that salary is way too much.

D'z Nutz
04-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I was never sold on the JayBo acquisition to I'm still not really. On one hand, it was exciting to see him get in on the rushes with Tanguay and Iggy or blast the puck down the centre when the opposing team was caught deep in their own zone, but other times he'd make a lot of stupid defensive mistakes that ended up costing us. $6.6M is a lot to pay for smooth skating.

Bean, on the other hand, will be worth every penny.

~Leah~
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Freeskier

edit: does anyone know the situation with Feaster?

Haven't heard anything around the office yet, but I don't see him going anywhere.

Kloubek
04-11-2011, 12:47 PM
JBo is simply not living up to what he was expected to be here. Which is weird, since Calgary tends to be more offensive-minded than Florida could ever hope to be.

In JBo's last four seasons in Florida, he was averaging almost 42 points a season. In his first two years here, he's averaged 26.5. His +/- is below average on the team, and his 3.5 goal average per season here is, quite honestly, unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong - he is usually a pretty big presence on the blueline which is nice. But there are many defensemen out there making half of what he is who can perform that aspect just as well, and manage to get similar point totals at the same time.

For being the 3rd highest paid d-man in the league, one would just expect more. A lot more than 69th ranked defenseman in points - that's for sure. And now, Calgary is likely stuck with him for another several years while he eats up all that cap space.

Very unfortunate signing indeed. With that said though, if he was back at his 40+ points per season level, I don't think we'd be complaining quite as much. It's easy to question a GM's decision in retrospect, but at the time, the signing didn't seem *as* bad.

SilverRex
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I was never sold on the JayBo acquisition to I'm still not really. On one hand, it was exciting to see him get in on the rushes with Tanguay and Iggy or blast the puck down the centre when the opposing team was caught deep in their own zone, but other times he'd make a lot of stupid defensive mistakes that ended up costing us. $6.6M is a lot to pay for smooth skating.

Bean, on the other hand, will be worth every penny.

while the flames may not hesitate to unload Jbo if given the chance, if you surround him with less talent on the blueline, I wonder if that is what he needs,

Quizzes
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM

while the flames may not hesitate to unload Jbo if given the chance, if you surround him with less talent on the blueline, I wonder if that is what he needs,

He's been paired with Regehr for most of the season, who's probably the least talented of all Flames' regular defensemen. Playing with a stay-at-home guy like Regehr should give J-Bo more free range to jump into the play, which you see that from time to time, but he's got an absolutely horrible shot.

aget
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes

He's been paired with Regehr for most of the season, who's probably the least talented of all Flames' regular defensemen. Playing with a stay-at-home guy like Regehr should give J-Bo more free range to jump into the play, which you see that from time to time, but he's got an absolutely horrible shot

^This. All he shoots are muffins

SilverGS
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes J-Bo is our new Jokinen. At 5M he was not worth it but few have issues with him at $3M. If J-Bo was say $4M I doubt there would be as many people calling for him to be traded.

I don't mind Staios but I think his time here is done. We have veteran leadership already and I think we need to start seeing which of the young guys can step into that 6-7 D spots.

Ken King mentioned they won't be looking into the GM spot until July but I imagine it will be earlier now that Flames are out. My guess is Feaster will get the job.

With the contracts we have and all the NTC Daryl gave out the GM will not have as much flexibility to do much unless some crazy trades occur. Most likely the team won't change a lot until next year.

ICEBERG
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I am not too worried about J-Bo right now as i am with the 3 shitty forwards we have. Langkow had a bigger impact in two games than these three combined.

3 forwards that are not good enough to play in the Flames top 9, Stajan, hagman and Kotalik..

Going into next season Stajan will sit 4th on the depth chart if the Flames don't sign Morrison. All for 3.5 million. ... I don't know WTF was Darryl thinking signing Stajan to that absurd contract till 2014? This guy stunk this year....

Kotalik is hopefully gone to Europe. But if he isn't, that gives the Flames 3 million in minor league contracts already.

Hagman hopefully can be moved, he can potentially play better on another team.

J-Bo,Stajan, Sarich, Kotalik, Hagman for Spezza!!!! :D

^^JasmineL^^
04-12-2011, 06:11 PM
nobody is going to take stajan or kotalik for their salaries.
Hagman is possible, because it is evident he has talent but they would be taking a risk ><

89s1
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
^^ she should let her boyfriend post more often... ^^

P_D
04-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Looks like kipper got in on the #1 play of the year

http://youtu.be/7851oNZa_Lc/youtube

max_boost
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Haha Kipper seems to be making that list yearly. :thumbsup: :goflames:

SilverRex
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
wasnt there a save from kipper stopping a puck in mid air that was going in with him laying down?

:dunno:

Quizzes
04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
That Linus Omark shootout goal does not belong in that list.

~Leah~
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
So I was hitting some balls at NGA today and who walks in with his kids and goes to the stalls beside us.... Mr. Iginla. Haha, had a good little chat with him and our little guys hit some balls together, but I left my phone/camera in the car!!! BOOOO.... but good to see he's working on his game! haha

SilverGS
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
So I was hitting some balls at NGA today and who walks in with his kids and goes to the stalls beside us.... Mr. Iginla. Haha, had a good little chat with him and our little guys hit some balls together, but I left my phone/camera in the car!!! BOOOO.... but good to see he's working on his game! haha

Nice. You don't run into him at the Dome ever?

~Leah~
04-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Nice. You don't run into him at the Dome ever?

Nope never really. I'm upstairs and they enter/change/practice/leave through the lower level.

D'z Nutz
04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Then you must run into Conroy. Can you get him to introduce me to his wife? :love:

Freeskier
04-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Iginla used to live a couple doors down from me in hillhurst. Didn't see him all that often but his wife is gorgeous as well.

~Leah~
04-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Then you must run into Conroy. Can you get him to introduce me to his wife? :love:

Haha, I run into Connie a fair amount... as nice in person as you see on TV, never met his wifey though.

beyond_ban
04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I met Craig Conroy at a skate around a good 6-7 years ago at the silver springs community center. He was there for charity or something and i got him to sign my team USA t shirt i was wearing hahaha. Nicest man you'll ever meet.

desi112
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I ran into conroy at coop back when i was in uni, right after 2004 cup run.

Me: Buying apples eh?

Connie: An apple a day....

dino_martini
04-26-2011, 10:48 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=561031&navid=DL|NHL|home

Emery, Langkow, Laperriere up for Masterton

Quizzes
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=561031&amp;navid=DL|NHL|home

Emery, Langkow, Laperriere up for Masterton

Awesome!
Langkow should take it easily because a lot of people hate Emery and Laperriere didn't even play a single game this season. :D

D'z Nutz
05-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Reason for Noodles' departure:

Noodles says thanks, but no thanks, to Flames

McLennan wrestled with decision to turn down Abbotsford goalie coach post

By Vicki Hall, Calgary Herald May 12, 2011

The choice ripped Jamie McLennan apart.

Accept a demotion, of sorts, from the Calgary Flames and work in goaltending development with the team’s puck-stopping prospects in Abbotsford and beyond. Or say thanks, but no thanks, and take a chance at the great unknown.

Staring down his 40th birthday, McLennan went with the second option. No matter how much it hurt.

“I know it’s cliche, but I’ll always bleed Flames blood,” said McLennan, who served as the assistant coach in charge of goaltending for the last two years. “I have such loyalty to the organization. For me, it was personal. I need to take a step back and see where I’m heading with my life. I need to see what’s out there.”

So McLennan met with acting general manager Jay Feaster (who is expected to have the ‘acting’ removed from his title before next month’s draft) and sent a lengthy e-mail to team president Ken King. He also huddled via phone with close friends Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff

“They’ve all been nothing short of amazing to me,” McLennan said Thursday “My relationships will always stay the same. and I just had such a great relationship with Brent (Sutter), Dave Lowry, Ryan McGill and Rob Cookson.”

The organization cut ties earlier this month with McGill and Cookson. Lowry remains as an assistant to Sutter, who is expected to receive an extension on a contract set to expire next year. Sutter will also have a great deal of say in building his new coaching staff.

“Our staff was always close,” McLennan said. “We’ll always remain friends. We just won’t be working together any more.

“The offer to stay was an amazing offer. It took me a long time to mull my life over. They didn’t just throw something at me to keep me around. They made me a legitimate, very respectful offer. I respectfully declined.”

Better known as Noodles, the chatty McLennan is a popular figure with friends in every corner of the National Hockey League. Throughout his playing career, the Edmonton native made stops with the New York Islanders, St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Wild, Flames, New York Rangers, Florida Panthers and the Flames (for a second stint.) He finished up in 2007-08 with Japan’s Nippon Paper Cranes. From there, he returned home to Calgary to work as a scout and director of goaltending development for the Flames.

The promotion to assistant coach came in 2009 after former GM Darryl Sutter dismissed David Marcoux, who still lives in Calgary as the director of goaltender development for the Edge School and goaltending coach for the Moose Jaw Warriors. For the past two years, McLennan worked with Kiprusoff, the workhorse netminder, and tutored rookie Henrik Karlsson.

“I’m still in touch with everyone,” McLennan said. “That’s what makes this hard. I have so much respect for Murray Edwards and the other owners. Kenny King, Jay and Brent. Everyone. It was the toughest decision to respectfully decline.”

In short order — and by sheer coincidence — McLennan received an invitation to work on the TSN panel and TSN radio for 12 days during the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs and the world championship. He loved the gig, but has no idea if it will lead to more work. For now, McLennan is open to all opportunities — in management, coaching or broadcast.

“Hockey is a small circle,” he said. “We’ll all absolutely cross paths again.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Noodles+says+thanks+thanks+Flames/4775665/story.html#ixzz1MIIhySrl

SilverGS
05-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Glencross has been resigned

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Curtis+Glencross+signs+with+Flames/4788677/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

The Calgary Flames have taken care of one vital item on a lengthy todo list.

Strike Curtis Glencross off the sheet of players set to test the open market on July 1. The scrappy left-winger has agreed to terms on a multiyear deal with the National Hockey League club.

Terms have yet to filter out, but the Glencross camp was seeking a significant raise on his $1.2 million salary and longterm security for at least four or five years.

A new dad, Glencross also liked the idea of a no-movement clause to protect his young family from the sudden upheaval of a trade.

Team officials refused comment Sunday night. Saskatoon-based agent David Kaye did not return phone calls.

A news conference is expected some time this week, perhaps as early as today.

Glencross, 28, is coming off a career season with 24 goals and 43 points in 79 games. The Provost product also proved a key cog on head coach Brent Sutter's penalty killing unit.

The question remains how the Glencross signing will affect negotiations with the other nine pending unrestricted free agents. Excluding Glencross, the Flames already have $56.2 million committed to 17 players for next season.

Alex Tanguay headlines the list.

Captain Jarome Iginla has gone on record as saying he would like to have his setup man back with the Flames. But Tanguay registered 22 goals and 69 points this season. The 31-year-old is clearly looking for a hefty raise on his $1.7 million salary.

Other pending unrestricted free agents up front include centre Brendan Morrison and left winger Freddy Modin. Morrison, 35, is rehabbing from knee surgery. He proved a steal last season for the Flames at $725,000 with 43 points in 63 games.

Modin, 36, is plagued by chronic back trouble and expected to retire.

On the blueline, Anton Babchuk, 27, Steve Staios, 37, Adam Pardy, 27, Brett Carson, 25, and Brendan Mikkelson, 23, are all eligible for unrestricted free agency come July 1.

In goal, the towering Henrik Karlsson is free to test the open market, but the Swedish rookie has said he wants to play next season in Calgary.

rumeo
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
4 year $10.2 million

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365890

Kloubek
05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Good for the Flames. They can certainly use his speed.

His progression in the NHL though has been pretty slow. He had his best year yet last season, but really needs to take that "next step". Hopefully he can.

AaronK
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Good sign IMO. And they are workin on Tangs which is good! :D

bmeier
05-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Good for the Flames. They can certainly use his speed.

His progression in the NHL though has been pretty slow. He had his best year yet last season, but really needs to take that &quot;next step&quot;. Hopefully he can.

i dont think there is a next step for 2.5 mill its a decent signing. curtis is a hardworking 15 to 20 goal type IMO. anything extra is just a bonus

max_boost
05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Well done. I like Glencross. :thumbsup:

Now get rid of Hagman and Stajan. Thanks.

D'z Nutz
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
No surprise, but it's official now.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365894

FLAMES KEEP FEASTER IN GENERAL MANAGER'S ROLE

The Calgary Flames have finally dropped the interim tag from general manager Jay Feaster's title.

The NHL team made it official at a news conference on Monday at the Scotiabank Saddledome.

Feaster took over in the front office from Darryl Sutter on Dec. 28. At the time, the Flames were 16-18-3 and under Feaster, the club posted a 25-11-9 record and almost made the playoffs.

The announcement caps off a busy day for the Flames, who earlier locked up forward Curtis Glencross to a four-year, $10.2 million contract.

Feaster was general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning when they won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

He signed a five-year contract to be the assistant general manager in Calgary last season and is expected to serve out the remaining four years of that deal.

Freeskier
05-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Stoked. Feaster seems to be a good fit, and have the right ideas for Calgary. Already resigned Glenny for a reasonable contract, not some overinflated garbage that Sutter probably would have done lol. Working on Tangs.

I like this quote from him "We have a lot of resources to draw on. I've always said that the most important word, the operative word of the title General Manager is not general but it's manager. That means that you need to involve those good people in the decision making process ... The way I view it is that it is a participatory democracy."

Sounds like we could be in for a good 5 years.

rumeo
05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
For those of you on twitter you should follow "jayfeastergm".Its a fake account but the guys hilarious.

D'z Nutz
05-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Hahaha there's some good ones

@JayFeasterGM Jay Feaster
I thought the Thrashers signed all those black players to increase their fan base, what a waste that would be to move the team to Winnipeg

JayFeasterGM Jay Feaster
@FrankDangelo23 I've been drinking nothing but Cheetah Power Surge for the last 3 days and I haven't had a bowel movement yet, #thatsnobull

JayFeasterGM Jay Feaster
Connie didn't flush before he left the Dome last night, the toilet looks like its been paper-mache'd. Fantastic

JayFeasterGM Jay Feaster
I bought some magnets at the YYC airport gift shop, man these things are a trip, I still don't really get how they work

JayFeasterGM Jay Feaster
I bought a Millionaire Life ticket. If I win I will actually buy out Stajan's contract. You can hold me to that

JayFeasterGM Jay Feaster
So Connie tells me there was a deadline. Guess we'll just #staythecourse then. My bad.

jeremyn
06-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Hopefully this isnt true but Tim Erixon MIGHT not be a Calgary Flame as of today!

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2011/5/30/2197907/counting-down-the-hours-tim-erixon-and-the-best-if-signed-by-date

NightFX2
06-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Would be devastating if Erixon is not signed, he's been the Flames' top prospect since Backlund graduated.

Likely to be picked up with a mid 1st round pick if he re-enters the draft this year.

R-Audi
06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Deadline is 3pm... we better sign him.

Quizzes
06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
If Feaster fails to sign a rookie blue-chipper, imagine his inability to close the deal on other UFAs out there (not that we need anymore UFAs not named Tanguay).

Then again, Erixon needs to realize he will hurt his value by holding out on his Entry Level contract. A lot of GMs don't want to waste their first-rounder on a prima-donna like that. Besides, there are a lot of bad organizations in the NHL (ie: NYI, Florida) who might pick him up if he goes back into the draft.

max_boost
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I thought all first round rookies get the max contract anyway? What's the reason for delay?

SilverGS
06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I thought all first round rookies get the max contract anyway? What's the reason for delay?

Either he wants a big bonus or he doesn't really want to be in the Flames organization are my guesses.

R-Audi
06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
According to Bob Mckenzie via Twitter, there are several teams looking to trade for his rights... NYR being one of them.

I cant imagine what the issue is, unless he wants something like a guarantee to play in the NHL next year... Or he wants big bonus numbers. Or just hates Calgary. Im guessing we will hear something in the next 30 mins... either a trade or signing.

SilverGS
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Also possible he is already signed and they are waiting to announce it with any other entry level contract signings.

Edit: NVM seems like he is gone. NYR given rights to negotiate with him. Conditional trade apparently setup if he signs with them

NightFX2
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
NYR wants him because of his dad? If so, it sounds like tampering to me... :banghead:

The_Rural_Juror
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Who is Roman Horak? Not a bad return I guess.

NightFX2
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Erixon to NYR for a boom or bust offensive forward and two 2nd round picks. :(

Not bad but I'd rather have Erixon of course

The_Rural_Juror
06-01-2011, 02:16 PM
NYR sells CGY another lazy European according to scouting reports.

R-Audi
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Doesnt sound like we had much choice. If a guy doesnt want to sign he wont. They had to make the most out of a bad situation.

Quizzes
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
:facepalm: Roman Who-rak???
The two 2nd-rounders are good, but we lost arguably our best prospect. I thought Erixon could've fetched a 1st and/or a good offensive prospect.

Have the Ales Kotalik acquisition not taught us a lesson in taking lazy Czechs from NYR??

Sigh...

NightFX2
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Thank you Darryl for picking that guy. :drama:

jeremyn
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Who is Roman Horak? Not a bad return I guess.

Apparently he plays on a line with Ryan Howse ( another Flames prospect ) in Chilliwack. SWEET

Im very disappointed that we coulndnt get Erixon signed but at least we got something out of it instead of him re-entering the draft......

Erixon is sooooo goooood too, broke most of Hedmans records in Swedish league too!
Frick...

AaronK
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Sucks but atleast the Flames actually got draft picks for once!

Quizzes
06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Feaster's first real stamp on this team. Let's see how this pans out. Had high hopes for Erixon... someone along the lines of a Niklas Kronwall.

SilverGS
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
:facepalm: Roman Who-rak???
The two 2nd-rounders are good, but we lost arguably our best prospect. I thought Erixon could've fetched a 1st and/or a good offensive prospect.

Have the Ales Kotalik acquisition not taught us a lesson in taking lazy Czechs from NYR??

Sigh...

Don't even think you can argue it. He was our best prospect and whatever the reason was we lost him for someone not even in the top 10 for prospects on NY and a couple of second round lottery picks. Of course he would probably be top 10 in the Calgary system... wait... sigh :cry:

The_Rural_Juror
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Should've tried to get Prust back.

stevieo
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
meh, if he doesn't want to play here i'm glad he's gone.
whiny brat. guess he wanted to be a ranger all along though. his dad played for NYR his whole career and tim was born in NY. meh peace out

hope you get owned in more ways than one playing out there

Quizzes
06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Should've tried to get Prust back.

+1
Third time's a charm.

I hope NYR fails to sign Erixon and he goes back to the draft. :D

stevieo
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM

+1
Third time's a charm.

I hope NYR fails to sign Erixon and he goes back to the draft. :D

i think they signed a contract already.

i don't know how you guys can really blame feaster. he did what he could with the shittiest situation. for all we know he waited until the last minute to say "i want to be a ranger". slather couldve bent us over too offering just 1 2nd round pick too. but if you wanna screw the flames, i hope as hell you have a shit nhl career and play 2 games and end up in the minors forever.

kenny
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
The Erixon Saga:

The points that the Erixon camp raise seem fair, they wanted to make sure he wouldn't get jacked by the Flames if signed.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=1121

stevieo
06-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the flames are taking the high road by not saying anything about his attitude and how he wanted to play for the rangers. speculation his family, agent (who was also his dad's agent when he played and his linemate (and cousin) from SEL's agent, who the rangers traded for on may 8th) were telling him to go play in NY. but family pressure sure adds up though. I had high hopes for this kid, he showed up to camp and everything..ah well. have fun in ny, when they come to town i hope we crush the shit outta him haha

edit: someone on cp said it best

It has been mentioned many times in this thread. ERIXON HOLDS ALL THE CARDS.

Even if Feaster negotiated with the Oilers to get the 1st overall pick in exchange for Erixon, the deal doesn't go through because Erixon could refuse to sign with the Oilers.

Any trade the Flames made involving Erixon would be conditional on him signing with the other team first. No team is going to give up an asset unless they know for sure Erixon would not fall back to the draft.

The fact that Sather called today gives me further cause to believe that Jay Grossman organized this and was giving Sather a cue to make a deal.

another one, his agent's agency also deals with radulov, kolvalchuk, yashin, khabibuilin (feaster tried to negotiate with grossman (agent) but they wouldn't take anything but max salary- he went on to sign with chicago for 6.75 mill for 4 seasons after the cup win) forgot which other players are under their watch...oh ya babchuk has the same agent haha theres a good chance we ain't seeing him no more haha

D'z Nutz
06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow, Sutter sure has a nose for drafting douche bag defensemen. I guess Avery got our sloppy seconds this time.

R-Audi
06-02-2011, 07:45 AM
If anything Im pleased that Howse is pumped to have Horak as a Flame, (And linemate, as posted on Howse' twitter account) and even more pleased that Horak is happy to be a Flame himself.

Stealth22
06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow, Erixon is a douchebag.

SilverRex
06-03-2011, 12:25 PM
a dream turn out would be that the existing chemistry between Ryan Howse and Roman Horak would give us our very own Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry (which has won a cup for the ducks)

Maybe there is some magic about working together prior to entering the NHL which gives them an edge/motivation to dominate or do their thing

look at the sedins (potentially helping the nucks for this year's cup)

rumeo
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Craig Hartsburg (former Senators coach) is rumoured to step down from his WHL head coaching position (where he was nominated for coach of the year) to join the Flames coaching staff.

rumeo
06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
It's official, Hartsburg is your associate coach.

stevieo
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
a dream turn out would be that the existing chemistry between Ryan Howse and Roman Horak would give us our very own Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry (which has won a cup for the ducks)

Maybe there is some magic about working together prior to entering the NHL which gives them an edge/motivation to dominate or do their thing

look at the sedins (potentially helping the nucks for this year's cup)

perry and getzlaf never played together in jrs
getzlaf played for the hitmen and perry played for the london knights

Hakkola
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by kenny
The Erixon Saga:

The points that the Erixon camp raise seem fair, they wanted to make sure he wouldn't get jacked by the Flames if signed.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=1121

:werd: If I were in his place I'd have the same problems with signing, good for him, smart guy.

R-Audi
06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
From the radio interviews Ive heard with Feaster and Conroy, Erixon had his mind made up from the get go, and dragged it out so Calgary had no other option then to trade him to NYR. He made up those excuses to not make him seem like the bad guy through all of this.

At the end of the day Calgary actually offered a bigger contract then NYR did!

Quizzes
06-09-2011, 11:52 AM
No worries. The re-signing of Brett Carson will make us forget about Erixon. :goflames:

trieuth
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
carson signing is brutal, hes slow and makes poor decisions with the puck. I would have liked them to play negrin, pelech or brodie. Let them give up the puck and mistakes and learn. That's how they become vets. carson has no potential and is just a taking a spot from one of the young guys.

stevieo
06-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
carson signing is brutal, hes slow and makes poor decisions with the puck. I would have liked them to play negrin, pelech or brodie. Let them give up the puck and mistakes and learn. That's how they become vets. carson has no potential and is just a taking a spot from one of the young guys.

wtf? hahaha
carson is 25, forgot he is old as fuck. you say hes slow and makes poor decisions with the puck but you want negrin, pelech or brodie to do the same? they are all pretty much within a few years of each other.

Jay Feaster. “In our end-of-season meetings a number of our top forwards commented on his consistent ability to get the puck to them in transition, and we are confident he will continue to develop his overall game."

Hakkola
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
From the radio interviews Ive heard with Feaster and Conroy, Erixon had his mind made up from the get go, and dragged it out so Calgary had no other option then to trade him to NYR. He made up those excuses to not make him seem like the bad guy through all of this.

At the end of the day Calgary actually offered a bigger contract then NYR did!

The money wasn't the issue, he didn't think he'd get a chance to play in the NHL if he signed with the flames because of all the shitty contracts they have with veteran players.

Quizzes
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

The money wasn't the issue, he didn't think he'd get a chance to play in the NHL if he signed with the flames because of all the shitty contracts they have with veteran players.

That's a weak excuse. He wanted to play one more season in Sweden and then begin his NHL career next year. Sarich will be off the books by then which the Flames could've easily fit him in with J-Bo, Regehr and Gio as the only vets signed for the 2012-13 season.

D'z Nutz
06-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Playfair to the Coyotes?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/06/10/playfair-gone-to-the-dogs

Jim Playfair, the former Calgary Flames head coach who spent the last two seasons guiding the AHL Abbotsford Heat, could be leaving the organization to take an assistant coaching position with the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes.

Playfair has been offered a job under Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett, which he has until Friday to accept.

Calls to Playfair Thursday weren’t answered, and he didn’t return messages.

As of late Thursday afternoon, he hadn’t resigned his post with the Flames.

The option year of Playfair’s contract was picked up by the Flames in mid-May, but he does have a window of opportunity to pursue and accept an NHL position.

In the past two seasons at the helm of the Abbotsford Heat, Playfair has compiled a 77-61-22 record.

The Heat made the playoffs in their inaugural season and advanced to the second round, but this past season they failed to make the playoffs with a young squad.

Playfair has been part of the Flames organization for more than a decade, taking the head coaching job with the Saint John Flames in 2000-01 and guiding that team to the Calder Cup championship.

Midway through the 2002-03 NHL season, he joined the Flames as an assistant coach after Darryl Sutter took the reins following the firing of Greg Gilbert.

Playfair was head coach of the Flames during the 2006-07 season, during which the team posted a 43-29-10 record, but after the team lost to the Detroit Red Wings in the opening round of the playoffs, he was demoted to associate coach under Mike Keenan for the following two seasons.

To his credit, Playfair handled the situation with great class and willingly accepted the bench-boss position in Abbotsford when the Flames moved their minor-league franchise to B.C.’s Lower Mainland.

Despite having teams loaded with young players on entry-level contracts — few of whom are expected to become impact NHLers, not to mention dealing with an obscene number of injuries both seasons — Playfair’s squads were competitive.

SilverRex
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
playfair may be the head coach for the soon to be jets in a few years :) just saying

D'z Nutz
06-16-2011, 12:22 PM
:goflames: :clap:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=118274

Freeskier
06-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Brings a tear to my eye. Almost literally.

Why did we trade him again?! He played his heart out for Boston. I think he was there other top line guy.

R!zz0
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Ference=Class :thumbsup: