PDA

View Full Version : Proper etiquette at a gas station?

Pages : [1] 2

ICEBERG
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi guy's

Just want to know, after your done fueling at a gas station do you move your car to the side and go inside to pay, or just leave the car by the pump and pay inside and leave.

I am asking because I had this clown at the Esso gas station by country hills blvd. This morning That couldn't wait two minutes for me to pay and leave. He started to honk his horn telling me to move my car to the Fu@king side and then go inside and pay. I was like WTF....

So, he then does a burn out and moves inches behind my bumper, all this while i paying for the gas inside. I come out and he is like" nice to fucking leave your car parked here while paying asshole, there are lot of people waiting you know"

I just told him to pi$$ off, and left.

So what is the proper etiquette here? If I moved my car the side, store clerks would have chased me down thinking I wasn't going to pay and take off. Yea it was busy there this morning,but can't people wait freaking two minutes anymore?

End rant :-D

holden
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
i would have assumed that he wouldn't even be able to use the pump until you have payed for your gas?

D'z Nutz
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Leave it where it is and go pay. Some gas stations even have signs that say don't move the car until you've paid for your gas.

I was gonna say this clown sounds like he drives a BMW, but then I saw what you drove :rofl: Maybe he drives a newer, more expensive BMW haha

core_upt
04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by holden
i would have assumed that he wouldn't even be able to use the pump until you have payed for your gas?

Agreed. Pump, Pay, Leave.
If he has a problem, he should be lining up for pay at the pump only. You should have taken the moment to use the squeegee to to an ultra perfect job of cleaning your windows, just to pis him off more.

cet
04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't think I've ever seen someone move out of the way before going in to pay. I know I've never done it.

Grogador
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
If it's retardedly busy and moving your car is a simple turn-in maneuver then yeah move it, especially if you're going in to shop or shit, but otherwise the 1min wait won't be fatal. I can count on one hand the number of times I've moved...

adidas
The next person can pump before the first person paid for the gas.

And the clerks wont chase you if u ended up moving ur car into a parking stall. They are used to it.

I always pump and go inside without moving my car. Unless its really, really, really busy than ill move it. Which has yet to happen.

GoChris
Who doesn't pay at the pump these days?

ICEBERG
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I was gonna say this clown sounds like he drives a BMW, but then I saw what you drove :rofl: Maybe he drives a newer, more expensive BMW haha

:D :D :D

No, he drove a older blue color Grand Prix, he was in his mid twenties with the girl friend in the car.

oupzwrongthread
04-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Leave it where it is and go pay. Some gas stations even have signs that say don't move the car until you've paid for your gas.

Originally posted by GoChris

I would NEVER move my car to go and pay after pumping gas, what a waste of time. The only time I pay inside is when I need a delicious snack.

Jlude
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
pretty sure if you get in your car and start to drive off without paying, most gas stations would assume you're trying to steal gas, and as said above, most stations have signs stating you should pay before moving your car.

Should have rushed the kid and scared the shit out of him.

Sugarphreak
04-15-2011, 01:40 PM

theken
04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Why pay at the pump if you have to get smokes or a drink or a lottery tickets

AaronK
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah i agree, I always pay @ the pump, but who the fuck moves their car to pay? What a doucher

03ozwhip
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
fuck him, go in and pay, thats how its always been. however if its a 2 pump and youre parked in the middle of the second pump and i have to wait for you to move, fuck you, move, that shit pisses me off.

ya cant move up a foot so i can get in and pump too? whats the point of 2 pumps if people park in the middle of both? /end rant lol

ICEBERG
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Why arn't you paying at the pump, lol

I sometimes do but....Needed a Lotto Max ticket for tonight's 50 Million Dollar draw.:D :D :D

Neil4Speed
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
That guy is an absolute idiot. Driving your car anywhere before paying is a big no no, leave your car and go in pay, that guy can wait.

spike98
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
pretty sure if you get in your car and start to drive off without paying, most gas stations would assume you're trying to steal gas, and as said above, most stations have signs stating you should pay before moving your car.

Should have rushed the kid and scared the shit out of him.

I know at one of the esso's here they have an automated system that records the plate of the vehicle at the pump then forwads it to authorities if it moves. Reguardless of your intent, leaving it until paying is proper. Fuck that guy and his impatient cocky attitude.

bball2
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I always thought the standard was to pay first then move your car, I've been filling up gas every few weeks for a couple years now and I have NEVER seen anyone pull aside before paying.

ICEBERG
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
fuck him, go in and pay, thats how its always been. however if its a 2 pump and youre parked in the middle of the second pump and i have to wait for you to move, fuck you, move, that shit pisses me off.

ya cant move up a foot so i can get in and pump too? whats the point of 2 pumps if people park in the middle of both? /end rant lol

No, the Coutry Hills Esso have only one pump not double...

narou
04-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Pay @ the Pump sucks, it is faster to go to the clerk even if there are a couple people ahead of you. Pay @ the pump is not controlled by the clerk usually, so if something goes wrong your standing there waiting for something to work that the clerk is not even aware of having failed.

Just pay inside.. Especially when its cold. Why the fuck would you stand outside for three minutes trying to pay at the pump. One moment please, one moment please etc etc.

Jeremiah
04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
What a douche canoe, i've honestly never seen anyone move after filling to go inside

So stupid

Mitsu3000gt
04-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I've never not paid at the pump, but for those who don't, why not move your car? When you drive 20 feet and park in front of the gas station doors, it's pretty obvious you aren't stealing gas. Might as well let the guy behind you fill up, especially if there's a lineup inside. IMO it's rude to stay at the pump and pay inside, given that it takes no more than 10 seconds to move your car in a way that makes it extremely obvious you aren't stealing gas.

I use a Shell fastpas and have never had a single delay or malfunction. I am out of there way before the people who pay inside.

ICEBERG
04-15-2011, 01:57 PM
He was driving one of these. Maybe he is here on beyond and like to explain himself to everyone. He was like 6' 2 170 lbs in his mid twenties with white framed sun glasses and a ugly girl friend.:D

http://media.motortopia.com/files/642/vehicle/480defdeef995/100_0583.jpg

supe
04-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by narou
Pay @ the Pump sucks, it is faster to go to the clerk even if there are a couple people ahead of you. Pay @ the pump is not controlled by the clerk usually, so if something goes wrong your standing there waiting for something to work that the clerk is not even aware of having failed.

Just pay inside.. Especially when its cold. Why the fuck would you stand outside for three minutes trying to pay at the pump. One moment please, one moment please etc etc.

Are you serious? What century are you from?

I've been paying at the pump for years and have never had a problem, there is absolutely no way its faster to go inside.

I bet you thought the airplane wouldnt fly and that the answer is 2.

spike98
04-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I've never not paid at the pump, but for those who don't, why not move your car? When you drive 20 feet and park in front of the gas station doors, it's pretty obvious you aren't stealing gas. Might as well let the guy behind you fill up, especially if there's a lineup inside. IMO it's rude to stay at the pump and pay inside, given that it takes no more than 10 seconds to move your car in a way that makes it extremely obvious you aren't stealing gas.

1. Automated plate reporting systems as mentioned in my first post.

2. Congestion at the pumps. Its bad enough people pull in at akward angles to trying and line up for gas, after paying if your moving around it makes it worse.

3. Parking in front of the gas station doors is for assholes that can't comprehend the concept of parking spots and are usually the same impatient douches that honk and swear at people for not moving

4. Can cause excessive confusion for the attendant ringing throught the gas. I have personally seen this. "Ill pay for pump 1 please. OH $11.50...yes thats right thats how much i put in" then pays and leaves thinking the cashier made an error and is to much of tightwad, horn honking, parking in front of doors douche to say anything about how it was really $50 in gas.

5. There are signs...SPECIFICALY requesting you to NOT move your vehicle after pumping at most stations.

There 5 should be enough eh...

Quiet10
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't move your car until you've already paid. Period.
:whocares:

n1zm0
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
if im paying cash, in the 10 years i've been driving:

pump, go inside to pay, drive away. ppl always just wait in line - EVERYONE does it that way, i've never seen someone park elsewhere after pumping then go in to pay in my life in this city.

most of the time these days Cc or debit for Pay @ the Pump - so much more convenient that going inside imo

OP, i've never seen anyone act that way at a gas station in my entire life.

side note, Car wash is a different situation tho, gtfo of the garage and dry your car ffs, its not your personal detail shop.

dannie
04-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by supe

:rofl:

I pay inside if I am buying something. I have never moved the vehicle until after I've paid

Blue
04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
pump, pay, move

lilmira
04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't know. I say 19/20 times I don't have to wait for a pump. 15/20 times I walk in and out within 30secs.

If you are in that bad of a rush, may be you should plan ahead and fill up earlier or get your own fuel storage facility. We do live in a society with other people, duh.

yeahyeah
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
I would have flashed him my gat. real talk.

Hounddog
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

People like me with a company gas card that requires a damn signature!! I wish I could pay at the pump.

narou
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by supe

Are you serious? What century are you from?

I've been paying at the pump for years and have never had a problem, there is absolutely no way its faster to go inside.

Nope.. I work in a gas station and it is annoying when people pointlessly move their cars.

max_boost
04-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
What a douche canoe, i've honestly never seen anyone move after filling to go inside

So stupid :werd:

Buddy in Grand Prix has issues.

whiskas
04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I once honked and yelled at a guy at a gas station. Fucker just ignored me and drove away.

He left his gas cap on the pump and his fuel door was open :dunno:

Jeremiah
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by yeahyeah
I would have flashed him my gat. real talk.

:rofl: :rofl:

dexlargo
04-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I will move my car when a gas station is busy and I'm paying inside. It's never been a problem on the inside of the station, no clerk has ever said that they thought I was trying to steal gas. I'm surprised that it seems so rare around here.

That said, as more and more gas stations are converting to pre-payment or pay at the pump only, you don't really have the opportunity to do this anymore.

If someone didn't move their car, making me wait, I'd be annoyed but I wouldn't get all worked up like the guy the OP encountered. Sounds like he has anger management issues.

89coupe
04-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I pay at the pump. The only time I ever go in is if I want a snack, which is not that often.

403Gemini
04-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Shoulda just hit the guy with an uppercut!

Honestly tho, if I need to go inside, I stay at the pump. Only time I move my car to the side is if I need to squeegee my windows and there is a line up.

Mitsu3000gt
04-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by spike98

1. Automated plate reporting systems as mentioned in my first post.

2. Congestion at the pumps. Its bad enough people pull in at akward angles to trying and line up for gas, after paying if your moving around it makes it worse.

3. Parking in front of the gas station doors is for assholes that can't comprehend the concept of parking spots and are usually the same impatient douches that honk and swear at people for not moving

4. Can cause excessive confusion for the attendant ringing throught the gas. I have personally seen this. "Ill pay for pump 1 please. OH $11.50...yes thats right thats how much i put in" then pays and leaves thinking the cashier made an error and is to much of tightwad, horn honking, parking in front of doors douche to say anything about how it was really $50 in gas.

5. There are signs...SPECIFICALY requesting you to NOT move your vehicle after pumping at most stations.

There 5 should be enough eh...

I have never in my 10 years of driving seen any of those things. I guess I've been lucky :dunno:

And by parking in front of the doors I mean the spots that are usually right beside the doors, not parking like a D-bag right in front of the doors not in a spot. Most gas stations I've seen require making a single turn like 10-20 feet from the pump into a parking spot, not obstructing anything.

The only thing I've seen is the gas station employee actually come out and ask people to move their cars when they are done filling to be courteous to other drivers.

All I really gather from this is that every gas station must be different. It doesn't affect me anyways as I always just pay with a fast pass.

FraserB
04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
I work at a gas station, for the next two weeks anyway, and people that move their cars are so frustrating. Especially when the price is high and the first thing that pops into my mind after seeing you pump $50 and then start to drive is that you are stealing gas. It also helps keep track of who is who, especially with 8 pumps and 30 cars in the lot.

If you are in a hurry; get the pump number and exact change, then you can just tell me the number and hand me cash, even if there is a long line I'll take it.

J-hop
04-15-2011, 03:08 PM
weird, I've never considered moving, and never heard of anyone doing it?? At the gas station I gas up at by my house this would not even be possible. There are 12 pumps and only 2 non-handicap stalls to park in so moving would never work unless you wanted to drive around the other side of the building which would probably look like you were trying to dash. Also to get out of the parking stalls you have to back towards the pumps which causes a shit show every time someone tries to do this as people are trying to leave and the area gets very congested during high time.

If gas stations wanted you to move your car they would:
1) put signs up
2) have as many parking stalls as pumps (most don't in my experience)

should have told the guy to get the sand out of his vag and learn to be patient

gmoney82
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
You should have taken the moment to use the squeegee to to an ultra perfect job of cleaning your windows, just to pis him off more.

Canmorite
04-15-2011, 03:38 PM
If it's really busy I'll move my car and then go pay, if I'm not paying at the pump. To freak out about it is going a little too far haha

DENZILDON
04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't even think the guy could pump gas until the OP paid the bill. That's when the cashier clears the pump of the sale so the next person can pump gas.

Tomaz
04-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I thought everyone was "pay at pump" now, which would make this scenario unlikely.

Step 1: Fuel up/pay at pump

Step 2: Move car, purchase snacks, drinks, smokes

Step 3: GTFO

:dunno:

GoChris
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I see why some might have to go inside to pay, but there is no way paying inside is faster as someone mentioned. Hell, with paypass I don't even have to take my card out of my wallet, I just mash my wallet up to the machine and voila.

Thanks for reminder about lotto max though! Going to 7-11 right now.

HiSpec
04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't even think the guy could pump gas until the OP paid the bill. That's when the cashier clears the pump of the sale so the next person can pump gas.

^ what he said

yamaha_rider777
04-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
should have told the guy to get the sand out of his vag and learn to be patient [/B]

This is under the assumption he indeed has a sandbox! He could just be on his . and this would lead to fits of hysterical outburst!

To OP, Driving a BMW gives you the right to take as long as you want and pay in what ever manner you feel is appropriate.

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
I thought everyone was "pay at pump" now, which would make this scenario unlikely.

Step 1: Fuel up/pay at pump

Step 2: Move car, purchase snacks, drinks, smokes

Step 3: GTFO

:dunno:

The guy was an idiot, case closed.

I pay at the pump if I am paying at the pump. If I need shit in the store, I go in and get it and pay for everything in there. Why waste time doing two transactions?

TheCheff
04-15-2011, 04:03 PM
I worked at a gas station when i was 15, Gas cannot be pumped until the prior transaction has been paid for. Hence why they have signs saying go in and pay before moving your car....Not all gas stations are like this but i bet >75% are.

Tik-Tok
04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

You should have taken the moment to use the squeegee to to an ultra perfect job of cleaning your windows, just to pis him off more.

And popped the hood to check your oil,.. only to realize you "are out of washer fluid", then go back inside to buy some :rofl:

I once had a guy put a glass bottle in front of my tire when I went to pay inside, thinking I would run over it, because "I stole his spot". How do you steal a spot, when you pull into a gas station and see a completely empty stall?

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff
I worked at a gas station when i was 15, Gas cannot be pumped until the prior transaction has been paid for.

Yeah but times have changed since 2009, no one gives two fucks about the glory days of gas jockeying.

TheCheff
04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
LOL this was back in 2003. The glory days are longgg gone:clap:

dennisaur
04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
lol wtf i have never heard of anyone moving their car to pay for gas.

as a colored person, i would not even consider moving my car before i pay for gas, especially if in a white neghborhood:nut:

masoncgy
04-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm surprised that there are even gas stations that still allow you to pump before paying. Maybe it's different in Calgary, but I haven't found a single gas station out here on the Island that isn't pre-pay/pay at the pump. None of them will allow you to pump first.

Given how often people rip off gas, I'm surprised any stations risk losing tanks of gas so that people can come in and pay after. That just seems... foolish.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Ya BC is all pre-pay. Surprising Alberta isn't yet.

California had the worst stations with the vacuum fills. If it doesnt seal it doesnt pump haha.

derpderp
04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Yeah but times have changed since 2009, no one gives two fucks about the glory days of gas jockeying.

:rofl:

BC is pre-paid only for work safety reasons, since people were getting injured when jerk-offs were running away without paying for gasoline.

The only problem with mandatory pay-at-pump is if the person is paying cash they still have to go inside to pay.

bjstare
04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
^They aren't vacuum actually, its just a spring-loaded thing of some sort. When I was riding my bike through Cali, I had to pull that black thingie back with my hand so I could fill my tank all the way up haha. (And it definitely didn't vacuum seal to my hand lol)

ianmcc
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Every state I have recently visited is pre-pay or pay at the pump.
I do know that the C-stores are resistant to the pre-pay since you don't get the customer in the store where you can plus sell them a Taquito+Big Gulp combo.
And my wife has gone running after drive-offs to get their plate numbers-maybe not the smartest thing for her to do!

Weapon_R
04-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Although it's been said, always pay and then move. I was chased by an attendant years ago when I tried moving my car. Apparently it's not appropriate to move your car before paying as they think you're going to take off.

I do hate people who stop at the first pump when the second one is available though.

Cos
04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
For the ones who are wondering why the pay at the pump sucks, with current gas prices and if I let my truck get down to near empty it costs me a lot more than $100.00 to fill it up. Pay at the pump only authorizes up to $100.00 It stops at $100 (which for the last $3.00 takes forever) process, re-insert card and do the whole thing again. It takes way longer than if I just go inside.

When I am on my bike or filling up the wifes car I just pay at the pump.

They really should adjust the upper limit of the authorization with gas prices where they are at. Anyone with a 80L tank or bigger is going to be hitting $100.00 to fill up now, which are a lot of people. Christ my first Toyota Camry had an optional 80L tank in it.

ianmcc
04-15-2011, 06:43 PM
^^^That's a good point. And now I see $121.9 at the Mackenzie Towne Petro Can so it's even worse!
It's like the places that won't take $50s or $100s. What's the point of issuing larger bills when some won't take them. Prices have outpaced the old standards we have become accustomed to.

Canucks3322
04-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I grew up in Vancouver and have lived in Calgary for the past 5 years, I have NEVER heard of anyone moving their car before going to pay first if they have to...at first I thought maybe this guy was from SK or the Maritimes judging from the P.O.S. car they drove but seeing as how they were also really rude I'm gonna guess they are from some small town/city in Ontario, I find that most people who rage in this city are trash from Ontario. I am also guessing they are from a small town/city because moving your car would make absolutely no sense in a busy gas station, where the fuck are you gonna you move it if there's other car's around!?!?!

As for the OP, why did you just swear back and drive off? Why didn't you walk up to the douche and ask him what he was getting mad about???

sillysod
04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Not only would I have not moved, i would have shopped and maybe taken a shit before I moved my car if he was acting like that.

Only really really annoying thing at gas stations is when youneed diesel and there are 8 pumps (superstore) and 2 cars getting regular gas at the only pumps that have diesel.

ICEBERG
04-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

As for the OP, why did you just swear back and drive off? Why didn't you walk up to the douche and ask him what he was getting mad about???

Because the guy was a looser and I didn't want to stoop to his level. Clearly he was looking for a confrontation, and at age 42 I am getting too old for this crap. Maybe he was just showing off to his girl friend how tough he really is, so I don't know. Anyways he is the one looked like a idiot at the gas station, everyone was staring at him, I just drove off.

Squishy
04-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I work at 711 and you'd be surprised as to how many people actually do drive off without paying for gas.

If people behind you are too impatient, then too bad. They can sit there and do what ever the fuck they want, dont move your car, because like others have already stated, we think you're driving off. I'm the type of person that would tell the person behind you doing that if they are too impatient to wait and want to be stupid in the parking lot, they can either leave or chill their shit, especially while I am working.

I had this guy in an older corolla put in $5 or so, then started moving his car and as I was writing his license plate down and stuff, he ended up parking somewhere else. I told him not to do that because it looks like he's driving off, especially filling up $5 of gas. :facepalm:

On that note, why do people literally put $5 of gas in? Where is that going to get you these days, up the block? Shit.

SKR
04-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Only really really annoying thing at gas stations is when youneed diesel and there are 8 pumps (superstore) and 2 cars getting regular gas at the only pumps that have diesel.

That drives me nuts too, especially when it's crowded. My local Petro-Canada has one diesel pump, and seven gas pumps. The way it's set up, if you're waiting for diesel you either have to park way the fuck away, or right in the middle and shut down everything. Then when that pump opens up, you get scooped by someone getting gas.

ianmcc
04-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
I work at 711 and you'd be surprised as to how many people actually do drive off without paying for gas.

Which quadrant of the city do you work in? Maybe you work for my wife (she's a store manager!)

Squishy
04-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc

Which quadrant of the city do you work in? Maybe you work for my wife (she's a store manager!) Shawnessy

K3RMiTdot
04-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I always park and pay. Waste of gas to turn it on park and pay, and I don't feel safe leaving my car on

Disoblige
04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I never seen anyone in my life move their car before paying. What a clown that guy is.

bignerd
04-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah my husband moved once to let someone else use the pump, just to a parking spot about 15 feet from the pump (but still in front of the station) and the attendant came running out thinking he was going to drive away...

bigbadboss101
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I always use either the Speedpass or the Shell pass.
No problem with someone going in an pay and then drive off. What I have problem with is people who park at the pump and don't need gas.

CHICHARITZHI
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM

If people behind you are too impatient, then too bad. They can sit there and do what ever the fuck they want, dont move your car, because like others have already stated, we think you're driving off. I'm the type of person that would tell the person behind you doing that if they are too impatient to wait and want to be stupid in the parking lot, they can either leave or chill their shit, especially while I am working.

I had this guy in an older corolla put in $5 or so, then started moving his car and as I was writing his license plate down and stuff, he ended up parking somewhere else. I told him not to do that because it looks like he's driving off, especially filling up $5 of gas. :facepalm:

On that note, why do people literally put $5 of gas in? Where is that going to get you these days, up the block? Shit.

He was mad cause the pump was freaking slow plus -25 degree C , it happened to me last time .

AzNxHyDrA
04-16-2011, 12:58 AM
speaking of gas stations I finally learned today that you can keep your car on while you refueled... the lady who did that scared the shit out of me. I thought it was common sense to turn off your car

slinkie
04-16-2011, 02:25 AM
guy in an older corolla put in $5 or so
On that note, why do people literally put $5 of gas in?

old 4age/4afe corollas can get 50+ mpg easy

Maybe he's HYPERMILING and doesn't want to go over a half tank because of the weight :nut:

diamondedge
04-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA
speaking of gas stations I finally learned today that you can keep your car on while you refueled... the lady who did that scared the shit out of me. I thought it was common sense to turn off your car

It is common sense. Turn off your ignition.

Spoons
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
See at that point I would have proceeded to slow walk to the store to pay. Maybe "accidentally" drop my keys on the way back... Slow walk a few more steps, then turn around and slowly bend over to grab them.

Fuck him. I would have tried to enrage him to the point where he had a heart attack.

J-hop
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM

yea you can also smoke while gassing up and they generally like it if you set up a campfire near the propane tanks so the jockey can warm his hands in the winter.

Supa Dexta
04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I hate paying inside.. And wtf is with them asking how much you want, I want to fill it!

...well how much?

I don't know how much it will take! Could be 100, could be 130!

Why dont you let me pump it first and find out!..:nut:

AE92_TreunoSC
04-16-2011, 06:23 PM

As a technician its surprising how many people tell me that they do this.

It triggers an evap code and they call the car a piece of shit lol.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I hate paying inside.. And wtf is with them asking how much you want, I want to fill it!

...well how much?

I don't know how much it will take! Could be 100, could be 130!

Why dont you let me pump it first and find out!..:nut:

Agreed, the first time I had that asked to me I told them to "forget it" and went to a proper station.

Grogador
04-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Agreed, the first time I had that asked to me I told them to "forget it" and went to a proper station.

Yeah, try doing that anywhere in the USA

max_boost
04-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

Yeah, try doing that anywhere in the USA lol
:werd:

A lot of gas stations here are pay first after 9pm so I would just tell them to put in $XX amount and if it's a bit under, then so be it. What's the big deal.

Spoons
04-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
lol
:werd:

A lot of gas stations here are pay first after 9pm so I would just tell them to put in $XX amount and if it's a bit under, then so be it. What's the big deal.

It is completely prepay in BC, not time restrictions either.

C_Dave45
04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I do hate people who stop at the first pump when the second one is available though.

Sometimes its not obvious as to WHY they're at the first pump when the second (and sometimes 3rd) is open; You pull up and pump #2 and #3 are full. You stop at pump 1 and start to fill. As you're filling the cars in front of you pull away. Next guy comes up behind you and starts being a douche thinking you just took up pump #1 for no good reason. People need to relax. fuck. Drive around him and go up to next available pump. As to the OP problem; it would depend on wether or not the guy was bigger than me. If some skinny snot-nosed 20-something said that to me I would've gone right up to his face. A hulking 6'7" guy with "colors"...I would keep my mouth shut.

I've done that lots. Bad battery, bad starter and car sometimes won't start. I won't take a chance of having my car stranded at the pump, so I just leave it running.
:dunno: It's not a big deal. The whole danger is the same "danger" as using your cel on a plane or hospital, smoking while fueling, using cel while fueling, etc.....probably about a .00001% chance of anything happening. Fear mongering.

403Gemini
04-17-2011, 11:54 AM

:rofl: When I was in college all I would ever put in is $5-$10 , since that's all I could afford

Squishy
04-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

It is completely prepay in BC, not time restrictions either. The reason for this is because at some point in time, someone was suspected of driving off, or was driving off, an attendant ran outside to get the plate # and they were shot.

edit; also.... anyone that has worked at a gas station... ever accidentally hit the emergency gas pump button? lol:facepalm:

C_Dave45
04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
The reason for this is because at some point in time, someone was suspected of driving off, or was driving off, an attendant ran outside to get the plate # and they were shot.

edit; also.... anyone that has worked at a gas station... ever accidentally hit the emergency gas pump button? lol:facepalm:

He wasn't shot, he was dragged to his death:
http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=ae7a4075-1eba-48a8-adbe-11b6f49be05f

I don't know why they don't implement this policy everywhere. Who doesn't have a debit card these days? If you're paying cash then go inside and pay upfront...you have to go inside anyways. Takes the opportunity and temptation out of the equation and makes it safer for everyone

Scat E46
04-17-2011, 02:12 PM
When I worked at a gas station in my teeny years, don't move your car.

Squishy
04-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

He wasn't shot, he was dragged to his death:
http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=ae7a4075-1eba-48a8-adbe-11b6f49be05f

I don't know why they don't implement this policy everywhere. Who doesn't have a debit card these days? If you're paying cash then go inside and pay upfront...you have to go inside anyways. Takes the opportunity and temptation out of the equation and makes it safer for everyone Petrocanada is too cheap at my location to do it.
It's annoying when people drive off more specifically because it makes it seem like you weren't paying attention to the people pumping gas outside, and we are suppose to say "Hi" on the intercom to everyone, while helping everyone inside *and* trying to make sure stupid kids don't steal.

Might I add though, scaring the shit out of unsuspecting people is fucking great. For some, you'll never see someone turn around so fast in fear LOL.

Scat E46
04-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Have you not filled up your car more than once and simply remembered one number?

It's an up to amount - they pre authorize up to a certain amount.

You tank is roughly 60 litres? Empty? Then say authorize for 80 and if you only fill to 70 dollars that is all that is charged.

Go to the states. Prepay only, everywhere.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
First time i went to a prepay station, I was in vegas, and in a nasty mood. Had no idea how big the tank in the rental car was. Just told the attendant I'd pre-authorize for a thousand dollars.

Zephyr
04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Scat E46

Have you not filled up your car more than once and simply remembered one number?

It's an up to amount - they pre authorize up to a certain amount.

You tank is roughly 60 litres? Empty? Then say authorize for 80 and if you only fill to 70 dollars that is all that is charged.

Go to the states. Prepay only, everywhere.

States is prepay. We had too many people pump and run. I haven't seen a gas station that lets you pump first since the mid 90's...

sillysod
04-18-2011, 12:52 PM

If I'm driving "in a spirited manner" to Vancouver I always gas up at Golden and Kelowna without shutting my car off. It beats sitting for 20 minutes while the glowing red hot turbo cools off, but yeah in the city and if driving normally there is no point shutting the car off.

2BLUE
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I always park to the side and pay.

Dj_Stylz
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Fill, Pay, and Leave.

I thought the pump wont work until it has been paid for? So whats the point of moving your car for the next guy if he still has to wait until that pump has been paid for.

AaronK
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow I have never even seen someone refuel with their vehicle running. Modern turbos should be fine to be shut off for that 2 minutes and then restarted... shouldnt they?