PDA

View Full Version : Explosions at Boston Marathon finish line

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

kenny
04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Pretty crazy. Couple explosions at the Boston Marathon. Looks like most of the injured were spectators. There were over 100+ Calgarians registered for the event so hopefully they're all okay (along with everyone else).

---

BOSTON — Two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon have resulted in injuries.

Bloody spectators were being carried Monday to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners. Police wove through competitors as they ran back toward the course.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina.

He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line.

Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

More to come . . .

Pretty graphic picture:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH6kFLDCQAAcSDO.jpg:large

Mibz
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Holy fuck

Redlyne_mr2
04-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Wow. this must be breaking news as there aren't many details. Terrorist?

Tik-Tok
04-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Shit, my friends wife was running that, I expect he was at the finish line waiting for her when this happened :(

icky2unk
04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Wow, that is crazy. Wonder how the story will unfold.

you&me
04-15-2013, 01:49 PM
That's insane.

My cousin ran in the race and thankfully, I just heard he was already done and well clear of the finish line.

AndyL
04-15-2013, 01:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-marathon-explosions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Boston (CNN) -- At least two explosions rocked the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, injuring at least a half-dozen people, a CNN producer at the scene said.
The blasts occurred a few seconds apart on opposite sides of the street, CNN Producer Matt Frucci reported. The first left "a big plume of smoke" hovering over the area, around Boston's Copley Square; the second occurred perhaps 10 seconds later, he said.
The explosions occurred about 2:45 p.m., about an hour after the first of the race's nearly 27,000 runners had crossed the finish line, Frucci said. The race was halted after the explosions as was subway service into the area.
Paramedics were treating several victims at the scene, and police ordered onlookers to back away from the area. Troops from the Massachusetts National Guard were assisting police as well.
Onlooker Josh Matthews said he heard the blast, then saw police running toward the scene.
"We just heard a lot of sirens, and people were kind of frantic, and it was a bad situation, so we got out of there," he said.
A spokeswoman for Massachusetts General Hospital said four patients were being treated there.

Don't check twitter, unless you like gore... There's some nasty shots there...

kenny
04-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Explosion went off 4:09 into the marathon. Not sure on what the avg time is but I think most people were finished. Explosion was pretty powerful though, a couple runners were knocked off their feet.

Some pictures on twitter are pretty graphic, lost limbs and stuff.

GOnSHO
04-15-2013, 01:57 PM
This is pretty fucked up! some sick people in this world

cycosis
04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
WTF!

GOnSHO
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
a 3rd explosion has just happened apparently

jaysas_63
04-15-2013, 02:11 PM
My brother was at the finish line during the blast. our place is a few blocks from that intersection. he tells me it was chaos when it happened.

marathon Monday is an awesome time, been one of the drunk hooligans cheering it on for the past 5 years, its too bad things like this happen. I hope it was an accident, and not foul play, but I'm skeptical.

GOnSHO
04-15-2013, 02:12 PM
here is the heralds news , couple more pics

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/world/Photos+Boston+Marathon+explosions/8245284/story.html

GQNammer
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
a 3rd explosion has just happened apparently

3rd device found that didnt detonate. Apparently police did a controlled explosion

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQfVsH1yI

Edit: unsure how reliable this news source is.

DENZILDON
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Bastards!!! We do have family and friends that run that marathon. Bunch of cowards!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2013/04/15/hi-boston-explosion-wakstein-twitter-852.jpg.jpg

urrforce
04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
been reading both sides of the coin that it was a deliberate attack AND that it possibly could have been a ruptured gas line

hoping that it was the gas line more than a terror act

icky2unk
04-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

3rd device found that didnt detonate. Apparently police did a controlled explosion

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQfVsH1yI

Edit: unsure how reliable this news source is.

Seems to be true

icky2unk
04-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by urrforce
been reading both sides of the coin that it was a deliberate attack AND that it possibly could have been a ruptured gas line

The Marathon itself reported bombs and with a third device being found. I think it is unfortunately a target.

DeleriousZ
04-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Who the hell blows up a marathon? Seriously? Jealous fat people?

Tik-Tok
04-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Heard fro my buddy, he said they JUST left when it happened. She ran a little under 4 hours.

jaysas_63
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

marathon Monday is a huge event. think red-mile on steroids

gretz
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by urrforce

It's pretty easy to determine between the 2, especially since a 3rd bomb was found (apparently)...

icky2unk
04-15-2013, 02:44 PM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/2-dead-23-injured-in-boston-explosions-2-new-bombs-discovered-1.1238781

Apparently two new bombs discovered. They haven't discussed it yet i'm assuming its being updated.

cycosis
04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
12 dead, suspect in custody, only from one source so not sure if reliable

icky2unk
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
"UPDATE 3:42 p.m. - CBS News reporting a police source says they believe the explosives at the Boston Marathon were planted in trash cans. Same source also told CBS News they believe they have surveillance video of a possible suspect- a man carrying multiple backpacks. Still waiting on press conference with Boston Police.

UPDATE 3:23 p.m. - WASHINGTON (AP) -- Intelligence official: 2 more explosive devices found at Boston Marathon; being dismantled."

spike98
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
There is a lot of information here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1cerrp/boston_marathon_explosions_dozens_wounded_as_two/

icky2unk
04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Glad the second two didn't go off. Tragic.

403ep3
04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
some people are fucked up to think about doing this kind of thing to other human beings

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Vote to ban first moron who comes in here saying the government did it.......already seeing those retards on Facebook.

MGCM
04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2013/04/boston-marathon-runners-capture-bombing-in-real-time.html

Here is some very gruesom pics showing the aftermath..........im sick to my stomac looking at these......

kenny
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Warning: SKIP PIC #44 (or that whole section) if you don't like graphic photos.

Pic dump: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/first-photos-from-the-scene-of-the-boston-marathon-explosion

Masked Bandit
04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Four bombs in total, two at the finish line, another one at the JFK Library (went off at about the same time) and fourth device that did not detonate.

sillysod
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Since definitely NOT a Jew, Black or Asian it would be interesting to know if its a white or brown responsible for this.

Tik-Tok
04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

marathon Monday is a huge event. red-mile on steroids

Too soon dude, tooo soon.

Masked Bandit
04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Too soon for what? I'm pretty sure the "Red Mile" he's referring to is 17 Ave SW during the 2004 Flames cup run.

DeleriousZ
04-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Four bombs in total, two at the finish line, another one at the JFK Library (went off at about the same time) and fourth device that did not detonate.

Source?

kenny
04-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Senators vs Bruins game tonight has been cancelled.

Wonder when they'll figure out who did this. Supposedly have some guy on video with multiple backpacks.

Tik-Tok

Too soon for what? I'm pretty sure the "Red Mile" he's referring to is 17 Ave SW during the 2004 Flames cup run.

Ok, then just a really bad choice of words.

Sentry
Video of both explosions. Nothing graphic. Still fucking terrifying.

http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square/72926110

Vagabond142
04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Warning: SKIP PIC #44 (or that whole section) if you don't like graphic photos.

Pic dump: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/first-photos-from-the-scene-of-the-boston-marathon-explosion

Pic 50 is particularly bad as well for the squeamish... if you look closely at the sneaker in mid-left-frame, you realize that it isn't empty...

Horrible tragedy. I hope they find those responsible and exact a little eye-for-an-eye justice

you&me
04-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Senators vs Bruins game tonight has been cancelled.

Wonder when they'll figure out who did this. Supposedly have some guy on video with multiple backpacks.

20yo Saudi national in custody, under guard at Boston Hospital with shrapnel wounds

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjYBalO

Toma
04-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Vote to ban first moron who comes in here saying the government did it.......already seeing those retards on Facebook. if the bomber ends up being a North Korean spy.... and this leads to war there.... well...better ban me now.

What a tragedy though. The pics are truly disturbing.

sillysod
04-15-2013, 03:28 PM
^^ honestly was kind of hoping for a white wing-nut like McVeigh or school shooters.

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Ok, then just a really bad choice of words.

No, you're just too emotional today. It was pretty clear what he meant. ;)

kenny
04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by you&me

20yo Saudi national in custody, under guard at Boston Hospital with shrapnel wounds

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjYBalO

Not a trustworthy source. NYPOST is also reporting 12 dead while everyone reporting 3.

LadyLuck
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
This guy was filming from the finish line when it happened. Unreal!

046MuD1pYJg

urrforce
04-15-2013, 03:35 PM
^cant even imagine what it would be like being there beng that scared

edit

going through the pic links some of those are gruesome

JRSC00LUDE
04-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Toma
if the bomber ends up being a North Korean spy.... and this leads to war there.... well...better ban me now.

Well shit, if THAT actually happens I will fly out to Calgary and buy you supper and stop arguing when I disagree haha :)

But yes, it is a ridiculous tragedy.

jaysas_63
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

No, you're just too emotional today. It was pretty clear what he meant. ;)

Thanks guys

tik tok, get real.

Ca_Silvia13
04-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Wow just got out of a meeting to hear all of this. RIP to those that lost their lives today. :(

heavyfuel
04-15-2013, 04:38 PM
That's some fucked up shit.... I was having a nap since about noon and you know those dreams where you only kinda half remember everything, just bits and pieces and then you wake up and you're like, WTF was that? All I remember is dreaming about a bloody limb with a piece of bone sticking out...blood everywhere... can't remember anything else. Grabbed my Blackberry checked Twitter, eyes barely open, then I was really like WTF??? My brother and his wife go to Boston lots so I texted him, they're safe at home in NS. Man that's horrible. What's next?

Kona9
04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
There is a scanner app available. Scanner Radio. I have been listening to the Boston PD as it happens. It's MUCH more reliable and timely than any news channel IMO. Reddit also has excellent live coverage as well. For anyone interested. There is still some weird shit going on.

Cos
04-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Masked Bandit
04-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Source?

I was watching steaming live video coverage on CNN and that's what they kept repeating.

DeleriousZ
04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
That's some fucked up shit.... I was having a nap since about noon and you know those dreams where you only kinda half remember everything, just bits and pieces and then you wake up and you're like, WTF was that? All I remember is dreaming about a bloody limb with a piece of bone sticking out...blood everywhere... can't remember anything else. Grabbed my Blackberry checked Twitter, eyes barely open, then I was really like WTF??? My brother and his wife go to Boston lots so I texted him, they're safe at home in NS. Man that's horrible. What's next?

We're all connected man, crazy shit.

BigMass
04-15-2013, 05:11 PM
live from the kitchen
4iPoJQKPRFk
24/7, gavel to gavel, from the war room. "Death Start is orbiting the planet and is clear to fire in 5 minutes"

tom_9109
04-15-2013, 05:14 PM
It looks to be homegrown to me. Smaller devices, likely backpack sized. I also find it interesting that some reports are that the second explosion at the intersection was larger than the first. It seems to me that the first explosion was there to start backing up the runners avoiding the explosion where a second explosion could get a more occupied area.

So unfortunate.

lilmira
04-15-2013, 06:34 PM
This is so sad. What kind of sick creature would do that?

No kids, no women, even Tony Montana knows better.

Kloubek
04-15-2013, 07:01 PM
So glad the other two (or more?) didn't go off.

Seriously - it was just a matter of time. It is so easy to singlehandedly take out a bunch of people at a sporting event, mall, theatre etc - I'm actually quite surprised extremists haven't done even more since 9/11.

RIP to all. So horrible.

n1zm0
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by spike98
There is a lot of information here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1cerrp/boston_marathon_explosions_dozens_wounded_as_two/

Except for the whole first half of the thread is 'f the mods for moving things'

this one seems to be the one with the most updates for now (http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1ceyx1/boston_marathon_explosions_two_dead_64_injured_as/)

DENZILDON
04-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Just got a fb update from my cousin. He actually ran at Boston today. He finished early and was in the shower at the hotel when the bombs exploded. Thank god!

theken
04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
sick fuckin people

Toma
04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Prior warning? [Quote"University of Mobile’s Cross Country Coach, who was near the finish line of the Boston Marathon when a series of explosions went off, said he thought it was odd there were bomb sniffing dogs at the start and finish lines.

"They kept making announcements to the participants do not worry, it's just a training exercise," Coach Ali Stevenson told Local 15.

Stevenson said he saw law enforcement spotters on the roofs at the start of the race. He's been in plenty of marathons in Chicago, D.C., Chicago, London and other major metropolitan areas but has never seen that level of security before.

"Evidently, I don't believe they were just having a training exercise," Stevenson said. "I think they must have had some sort of threat or suspicion called in."
Stevenson had just finished the marathon before the explosions. Stevenson said his wife had been sitting in one of the seating sections where an explosion went off, but thankfully she left her seat and was walking to meet up with him.

"We are just so thankful right now," Stevenson said."" [/quote]

lilmira
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
An 8yo boy is one of the deceased.

RIP kiddo

Xtrema
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Damn thing is loaded with ball bearings.

Fuck these cowards regardless of race, religion or reasons.

black13
04-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Wow! This is pretty horrific! Can't even bare to look at the pics.

Was gonna say why at a marathon of all places but really any place this happens its tragic.

lasimmon
04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Damn thing is loaded with ball bearings.

Fuck these cowards regardless of race, religion or reasons.

No they were not. Shrapnel was just from street debris.

vengie
04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

No they were not. Shrapnel was just from street debris.

CNN reported doctors were extracting ball bearings from patients.

GTS4tw
04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by vengie

CNN reported doctors were extracting ball bearings from patients.

Not saying it isn't true, but do you have a reliable source? CNN is about as good as the national enquirer.

jdmXSI
04-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

I had a crazy dream last night, some "hip hop" artists hook was "funeral, funeral, funeral..." and you're comment just reminded me of it. Very chilling but most likely a coincidence.

Rip to all of those that passed and my thoughts are with those who will suffer physically and mentally who were lucky to survive.

vengie
04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Not saying it isn't true, but do you have a reliable source? CNN is about as good as the national enquirer.

No, I heard this reported by Anderson Cooper on CNN while making supper
However a quick google search shows:

- CNN
- National post
- Fox News
- USA today
- Daily Mail
- NY times
- NBC news

All reporting ball bearings. I'm way too tired to look further. Either way, brutal for anyone involved.

Vagabond142
04-15-2013, 11:50 PM
WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES. Click at your own risk.

http://i.imgur.com/wTloC3N.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jQVEQUO.jpg

WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES. Click at your own risk.

This is the guy that all the news outlets are stating lost both legs. If you're wondering what the red thing is in the hand of the guy in the cowboy hat, that's the guy's femoral artery being pinched to stop him bleeding out. Due to cowboy hat's action, guy that lost both legs is still alive.

I post this not to shock, but to reinforce the fact that even as the explosions went off and things were not safe, some people ran TOWARDS the explosions to help out, and at least one life was saved by someone doing that. Faith in humanity = restored.

sputnik
04-16-2013, 06:22 AM

People who want to create a sense of nervous fear in the US.

They know they are outgunned from a militaristic point of view, so they do their best to make people scared of everything inside their own borders.

As a result the US will now over-react and spend billions on security measures to protect the people from something that will never happen again and then in a year or so another soft target will be hit causing the same thing to happen all over again. Eventually the US will bankrupt itself giving people the illusion of "security" or "winning".

Hopefully they allow bottles of liquid at the next Boston Marathon.

sputnik
04-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
live from the kitchen
4iPoJQKPRFk
24/7, gavel to gavel, from the war room. "Death Start is orbiting the planet and is clear to fire in 5 minutes"

Did you seriously just post an Alex Jones video?

R!zz0
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
RIP to the 8 year old kid. He was there watching his dad race :cry:

GTS4tw
04-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by vengie

No, I heard this reported by Anderson Cooper on CNN while making supper
However a quick google search shows:

- CNN
- National post
- Fox News
- USA today
- Daily Mail
- NY times
- NBC news

All reporting ball bearings. I'm way too tired to look further. Either way, brutal for anyone involved.

Interesting, it will mark a fairly significant change in domestic bombings if there were ball bearings in there. I'm betting the explosions being in garbage cans will have caused a lot of shrapnel though. Have to wait and see.

lilmira
04-16-2013, 09:35 AM
There was a short interview with a doctor from one of the hospital in Boston this morning. He didn't think that there was any debris/shrapnel from the explosive device intended to cause more damage. They were just debris from the street blown away by the explosion. We'll find out more in the future.

The little boy's mom and sister were also injured. There was also a 3yo suffering head trauma or something. :cry:

LollerBrader
04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
A tragic, inevitable consequence of a society that is steeped in violence.

Meanswhile, in Iraq, 60 people died in a series of bombings, with 300 wounded. This is what "democracy" looks like.

In Boston, I speculate that the culprit will turn out to be another domestic video game playing untreated mental health case.

A little curious he used bombs instead of guns. I wonder where he picked up that wonderful little skill?

Regardless, he will be found.

LollerBrader
04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Did you seriously just post an Alex Jones video?

SRSLY.

He is blaming this as a false flag by the US government. I just don't see sufficient evidence, in any form, to float such a claim.

It's good to have alternative points of view, but Jones is just a broken record.

DeleriousZ
04-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
In Boston, I speculate that the culprit will turn out to be another domestic video game playing untreated mental health case.

Yep, Blame videogames :banghead:

ZenOps
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
If I had to guess, I'd be leaning toward domestic terrorist.

A bomb maker that would come from overseas would probably be trained to make explosives that can pierce 6 to 18 inches of armor plating as a roadside IED.

This reeks of poor guy with limited resources (much less than Timothy McVeigh) unable to even detonate all of the explosives.

But still pretty brutal.

LollerBrader
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM

No, I blame a culture steeped in violence and militarism.

Video games are a part of that landscape.

Mitsu3000gt
04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
My guess is a local nut-job of some kind. If this were terrorists, you'd think the scale would have been much larger.

As for the ball bearings, how would that necessarily be the mark of a terrorist? People have been using ball bearings, nuts & bolts, nails, marbles, etc. in bombs for ages to increase the damage.

Toma
04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
A tragic, inevitable consequence of a society that is steeped in violence.

Meanswhile, in Iraq, 60 people died in a series of bombings, with 300 wounded. This is what "democracy" looks like.

A little curious he used bombs instead of guns. I wonder where he picked up that wonderful little skill?

Regardless, he will be found.
I always found it ironic the shock people display at such thing when our entire society is based on violence. Whether military. Police. Video games. Movies, sports....

Toma
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM

SRSLY.

He is blaming this as a false flag by the US government. I just don't see sufficient evidence, in any form, to float such a claim.

It's good to have alternative points of view, but Jones is just a broken record. to early to speculate. If the government or some other special interest group uses this as leverage of some type... then I would not discount the possibility so easily.

FixedGear
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
The NY Times is reporting that the bombs were pressure cookers filled with ball bearings, nails, and black powder, and placed into bags on the ground.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/us/officials-investigate-boston-explosions.html?hp

Sugarphreak
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM

icky2unk
04-16-2013, 12:44 PM

No, I blame a culture steeped in violence and militarism.

Video games are a part of that landscape.

I'm sorry but we have all grown up to violent culture. There isn't a time period to date where we aren't exposed to violence on a high scale.

A nut job is a nut job.

I grew up playing MK on Sega with gory as fck fatalities and watching r-rated horror movies. I can't say i've ever been a violent person. I'm sorry if someone is so easily influenced by violent video games or violent tv they are already fucked up in the head to begin with.

dubhead
04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
It wasn't a bomb, it was a missile just like 9-11!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Kloubek
04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk
I'm sorry if someone is so easily influenced by violent video games or violent tv they are already fucked up in the head to begin with.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Exactly this.

We can blame Marilyn Manson and R-rated video games all we want, but the fact is that unless you're messed in the head you simply don't do something like this.

People use these "influences" as a scapegoat to try to explain why people do what they do, because it just doesn't make logical sense to most of us. But therein lies the major flaw to their way of thinking: You cannot look at situations like this from a logical and clear perspective because the perp himself certainly wasn't.

eiysa101
04-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Specifically

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110303220547/bomberman/images/thumb/f/fe/Bomberman.gif/221px-Bomberman.gif

natty54
04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
"explosives were in six-litre pressure cookers, which were placed in duffel bags and left on the ground. Shards of metal, nails and ball bearings were packed in with the explosives"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Pakistani Taliban denied any involvement in a double bombing at the Boston Marathon that killed at least three people, spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan said Wednesday.

"Wherever we find Americans we will kill them, but we don't have any connection with the Boston Explosions," Ihsan said."

LollerBrader
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by natty54
"explosives were in six-litre pressure cookers, which were placed in duffel bags and left on the ground. Shards of metal, nails and ball bearings were packed in with the explosives"

I really find myself wondering what the explosive was. I saw a picture of one of the blasts as it happened... and WOW.

It seems to me that a pressure cooker full of black powder would just be too heavy for a person to carry practically - Much less several of them.

So much stuff goes missing from the American military... I wonder....

LollerBrader
04-16-2013, 03:22 PM

I'm sorry if someone is so easily influenced by violent video games or violent tv they are already fucked up in the head to begin with.

It is ridiculous to think that people are not are influenced by what they expose themselves to.

They are influenced by the people around them, but the media they watch, the books they read. The games they play. Blogs. Newspapers. Movies. The music they listen to.

What comes through your senses plays a role in forming your own behaviors, beliefs, and expectations.

The more time exposed, the greater the influence.

Toma
04-16-2013, 03:30 PM

It is ridiculous to think that people are not are influenced by what they expose themselves to.

They are influenced by the people around them, but the media they watch, the books they read. The games they play. Blogs. Newspapers. Movies. The music they listen to.

What comes through your senses plays a role in forming your own behaviors, beliefs, and expectations.

This exactly. Everything you do in life shapes who you are. Its not like u are born with your personality, beliefs, values and morals.

I find it absurdly hilarious when people claim their environment has no impact on them.... and it only affects the fucked up or weak. Lol.

icky2unk
04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Toma

This exactly. Everything you do in life shapes who you are. Its not like u are born with your personality, beliefs, values and morals.

I find it absurdly hilarious when people claim their environment has no impact on them.... and it only affects the fucked up or weak. Lol.

There is small truth in this 100%. Yes environment will influence and inpact a person. But for someone to be so far impacted on violence to perform any of these "mass killings" you are so far lost mentally that being exposed to ponys rainbows and unicorns would far from change the outcome.

When you look at people who do these things you are not looking at people who play a video game or see somethign violent on tv and decide hey lets go do that now. You are looking at people who have had some sort of trauma to trigger insanity. Rape, abuse, bullying, etc.

Not only that but a majority comes down to parenting, you can be exposed to anything but what you determine to be right and wrong comes from how you are raised. No amount of violence will change that if you are brought up knowing right from wrong. However, that again is the flaw in the parents and not exposure to "violence". 99% of people form their perception of right and wrong, beliefs, etc from their parents and not the tv or a video game or a book or a newspaper. However, when something is not outlined so clearly to someone that is where these void spaces are filled with external sources. Such as opinions on the environment, negativity towards oil and gas, becoming a random vegetarian. But im 99% sure most people now adays are raised to know hurting someone is 100% wrong.

At the end of the day the argument stand, exposure to violence has 0 percent correlation to the outcome of Monday's tradegy.

[GaGe]
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Yes, but blaming this on movies, video games, etc. is retarded.

Here's how I see it: If people are murdering others with heavy influence from movies/video games, the problem is their underlying mental issues and why they weren't being treated properly. If people are becoming fucked in the head because of exposure to violent movies/video games as a child, the focus should be on parenting and why the parents allowed that to happen.

Most people who enjoy violent movies/video games aren't going to end up murdering someone. It's NOT the cause of these tragedies, and it wouldn't be fair to normal people who enjoy violent movies/video games to lose that right because of some fuck up.

sillysod
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by [GaGe]

the focus should be on parenting and why the parents allowed that to happen.

bang on...

Playing Grand Theft Auto with your 6 year old is probably a poor choice... people do all sorts of stupid shit with their kids these days. Even some of the movies (Avengers, Iron Man etc.) really are for teenagers you shouldn't be taking your 5 year old boy to go watch that.

Parents are 95% responsible for their shitty kids IMO.

[GaGe]
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM

There is small truth in this 100%. Yes environment will influence and inpact a person. But for someone to be so far impacted on violence to perform any of these "mass killings" you are so far lost mentally that being exposed to ponys rainbows and unicorns would far from change the outcome.

When you look at people who do these things you are not looking at people who play a video game or see somethign violent on tv and decide hey lets go do that now. You are looking at people who have had some sort of trauma to trigger insanity. Rape, abuse, bullying, etc.

Not only that but a majority comes down to parenting, you can be exposed to anything but what you determine to be right and wrong comes from how you are raised. No amount of violence will change that if you are brought up knowing right from wrong. However, that again is the flaw in the parents and not exposure to "violence". 99% of people form their perception of right and wrong, beliefs, etc from their parents and not the tv or a video game or a book or a newspaper. However, when something is not outlined so clearly to someone that is where these void spaces are filled with external sources. Such as opinions on the environment, negativity towards oil and gas, becoming a random vegetarian. But im 99% sure most people now adays are raised to know hurting someone is 100% wrong.

At the end of the day the argument stand, exposure to violence has 0 percent correlation to the outcome of Monday's tradegy.

Agreed... I'm not about to spray an AK-47 through Compton because I watched Django Unchained.

LollerBrader
04-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by [GaGe]

Yes, but blaming this on movies, video games, etc. is retarded.

That would be because retards are reading my posts, and over emphasizing one factor to absurdity.

As I said, the problem is a culture of violence and militarism. Videogames are part of that landscape.