PDA

View Full Version : Wtf? Winter storing a STI

Pages : [1] 2

dingmah
11-17-2014, 11:07 AM
So a new neighbour moved in across from me with his brand new 2015 STI. Only thing is... the only time I've seen him drive the STI is the day he moved in. Instead, he rolls around in a pre-2000 Corolla with different colored body panels.

Over the weekend, he's in the garage, so I introduce myself, talked a bit about cars and asked him why he has a trickle charger hooked up to the STI. He tells me that the STI is his summer car, because he hates cleaning it in the winter.

I don't know about you guys, but winter garaging a STI is absolutely ridiculous. It's practically made for hooning in Alberta weather, and it's a econobox car, not an exotic.

killramos
11-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Lots of people garage their 911 Turbos, they are fantastic in the winter. Its all a matter of perspective imo.

Maybe the STI is this guys dream car and he baby's it. Nothing wrong with that. They aren't exactly cheap.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Nothing wrong with taking care of your car that you worked hard for. To each their own.

(I don't winter drive my BRZ either)

pheoxs
11-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Why is it ridiculous to protect his 2015 car that he enjoys and instead subject his cheaper car to the salt/sand/debris from the roads and the higher risk of accidents.

Any car can be driven in winter just fine with proper tires, but most of us store them to protect them.

Also since when is a 40-50k$ STI an econobox? Not everyone is a baller and thinks money grows on trees. Maybe he actually cares about his car and wants to take care of it.

Tik-Tok
11-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dingmah
It's practically made for hooning in Alberta weather

The drivetrain and suspension are great for our weather and roads... the body panels and cheap shitty paint, not so much.

killramos
11-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Also since when is a 40-50k$ STI an econobox? Not everyone is a baller and thinks money grows on trees.

:werd:

Disoblige
11-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Why does it matter to you? Mind your own business.
A car doesn't need to be RWD or exotic to be summer only.

pf0sh0
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Each their own.. but I love driving my wrx in this weather. haha

JRSC00LUDE
11-17-2014, 11:31 AM
OP you sound like a dingbat. I never winter drove my non-exotic Prelude and just keep it in my garage. That's why it's 15 years old and looks new....

Rocket1k78
11-17-2014, 11:35 AM
No Shit! it bothered you that much that you had to go and post about it?:nut:
It's funny that you care more about what he drives in the winter then he does. Money comes to people in different ways and i'll bet this guy worked his ass off for that car.

I must be out of the loop because to me a $50k car is no econobox

E46..sTyLez
11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
I get what the OP is saying in regards to the Sti being an amazing winter car, but really if someone wants to baby their $50k car they aren't ridiculous. I personally wouldn't though, in fact I didn't...I drove my sti year round.

Now, if he had like an 02 WRX and winter stored it, I'd be shaking my head a little.

mr2mike
11-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I barely even drive my summer car in the summer.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/giphymedia/media/2XNzD7rjCu3DO/giphy.gif

mrsingh
11-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Man I must suck, my IS300 might be worth $8k if that and it sleeping soundly in my garage for the winter...

If he wants to store is new car, more power to him. :dunno:

flipstah
11-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I store my Land Rover and daily-drive my Golf.

Am I doing it wrong? :dunno:

jsn
11-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Lots of people garage their 911 Turbos, they are fantastic in the winter. Its all a matter of perspective imo.

Maybe the STI is this guys dream car and he baby's it. Nothing wrong with that. They aren't exactly cheap.

Exactly this. I wouldn't consider STIs economy cars anymore. Even though they start off as an impreza, they cost a considerable amount more.

Even though the car is amazing in the winter, the STi has been my (realistic) dream car since I was 14. I've definitely considered garaging it in the winter but I only have one parking spot. If I had two parking spots, I'd definitely consider garaging it in the winter or at least minimal driving.

TYMSMNY
11-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I store my Land Rover and daily-drive my Golf.

Am I doing it wrong? :dunno:

Exactly how it's done. :bigpimp:

flipstah
11-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Exactly how it's done. :bigpimp:

Well, storage isn't really by choice... :rofl:

CapnCrunch
11-17-2014, 12:16 PM
$40,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

revelations
11-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dingmah
I don't know about you guys, but winter garaging a STI is absolutely ridiculous. It's practically made for hooning in Alberta weather, and it's a econobox car, not an exotic.

I guess were not as baller as you, $50k (after taxes, fees, extras) isnt an econobox for most people. :dunno:

(MSRP for top-level model is $45k)

max_boost
11-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Maybe the STI is this guys dream car and he baby's it. Nothing wrong with that. They aren't exactly cheap. :werd:

My 911 is filthy dirty and I love it. Such a beast in the weather. :burnout:

Lex350
11-17-2014, 12:21 PM
With how bad people drive here in the winter, it isn't a bad thing to keep it off the roads if it is his dream car.

killramos
11-17-2014, 12:24 PM
I am shocked at how united beyond is in this thread :rofl:

Just waiting for "STI's are shitboxes and deserve to be driven off a cliff #AMGEEEEE :bigpimp: :bigpimp: "

flipstah
11-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Just waiting for "STI's are shitboxes and deserve to be driven off a cliff #AMGEEEEE :bigpimp: :bigpimp: "

We have respect for true enthusiasts.

Beyonders may disagree on stupid shit but one thing is certain: they'll be guns ablazing when someone is talking shit and it isn't rage2.

killramos
11-17-2014, 12:27 PM

We have respect for true enthusiasts.

Beyonders may disagree on stupid shit but one thing is certain: they'll be guns ablazing when someone is talking shit and it isn't rage2.

Hey a molested user title is a hard mark to bear!

turbotrip
11-17-2014, 12:30 PM
It doesn't matter if its a $50k car or a $5k car, if he likes it that much that he wants to protect it by garaging it then good for him. I don't agree with the choice, but its his choice

Tik-Tok
11-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Nah, the more common phrase in a thread like this, is "Cars are meant to be driven".

Xtrema
11-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Ain't Subaru still not very good at rust proofing their cars?

Don't agree as snow and ice + low center gravity + AWD = shit load of fun. But respect his choice if he wants to keep his ride for long term.

heavyD
11-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
$40,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

If $40k is a lot of money to you then a $40k Impreza is a horrible investment.

Personally I wouldn't go as far to criticize as I have done that in the past as well. However I learned that unless the car is a true collectable it's a waste of time as what happens is that the person that truly gets the benefit is the next buyer as he gets to fully enjoy a pristine used car that the previous owner just preserved for them. Looking at a clean car in the garage in the winter is not my idea of enjoying a car. You own it but you aren't truly enjoying it.

FraserB
11-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Where did OP go?

Maybe he needs to post his cars up so we can make sure he's a baller.

Sugarphreak
11-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Sorath
11-17-2014, 01:49 PM
i store my 06 lancer and drive my audi avant for winter? :dunno:

killramos
11-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Where did OP go?

Maybe he needs to post his cars up so we can make sure he's a baller.

I am expecting M's AMG's and maybe a gallardo or two. 2013+ or bust as well! :bigpimp:

Disoblige
11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That said, my most expensive car is a cheap POS to most Beyond Ballers :cry:
Did you pay cash for it though? Haha.

I know a dude who bought a slightly used C63 but pays like $900+ or something a month and will have a balloon payment at the end. Sounds stupid to me.

Sugarphreak
11-17-2014, 01:58 PM

flipstah
11-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I know a dude who bought a slightly used C63 but pays like $900+ or something a month and will have a balloon payment at the end. Sounds stupid to me.

OMG WHY. :cry:

I never got into why balloon payments are awesome.

Sugarphreak
11-17-2014, 02:07 PM

killramos
11-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Its a bet on you somehow being better at saving in 3 years than you are now. How many people have that bet work out? Esp when making a 900 dollar car payment :nut:

max_boost
11-17-2014, 02:12 PM
post pics of your winter stored vehicles

killramos
11-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
post pics of your winter stored vehicles

http://files.americanmuscle.com/blog/tina_01.jpg

Not actually mine but an exact replica of whats in front of my house :rofl: Same trim and rims to XD

Ill take a pic later lol.

artieg30
11-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Personally I wouldn't go as far to criticize as I have done that in the past as well. However I learned that unless the car is a true collectable it's a waste of time as what happens is that the person that truly gets the benefit is the next buyer as he gets to fully enjoy a pristine used car that the previous owner just preserved for them. Looking at a clean car in the garage in the winter is not my idea of enjoying a car. You own it but you aren't truly enjoying it.

my thoughts exactly, I currently have a 2013 E92 m3 and at first thought of storing it in the winters, but then I would only get to enjoy the car half of the year. The car cost me quite a fortune (at least in my opinion) but my mentality is that the car is meant to be enjoyed! I still keep the car clean however and get it detailed on an annual basis but I refuse to put something in storage for winter based on the fact people see it as a "summer" car only.

That being said, all the power to the guy storing his STI for the winter, no shame or hate in that, different strokes for different blokes!

And on the subject of ballon payments they are absolutely retarded I agree, not sure how it works out to the buyer's advantage? :dunno:

ercchry
11-17-2014, 02:18 PM

i think of it like leasing... but all the liability for future value is on you.... same with actually selling it. so yeah, i dont get it :dunno:

max_boost
11-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Did you pay cash for it though? Haha.

Beyond ballers don't pay cash for a depreciating asset, we invest the $$$ elsewhere to make more $$$ and write off the car payment :bigpimp:

Rocket1k78
11-17-2014, 02:27 PM
It's just not a party without ballons

LOL

My prediction is he'll say he's too smart to dump money into cars and just drives a reg car

flipstah
11-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Its a bet on you somehow being better at saving in 3 years than you are now. How many people have that bet work out? Esp when making a 900 dollar car payment :nut:

Lawlz.

I remember Mercedes Benz loved pushing this concept down,

"It lowers your monthly payments!"

"... By $200/month. That's like, nothing. And I have to pay this whole amount in one shot after?"

"Well if you can't, you can refinance the remainder."

:rofl:

Balloon payments just shift the pain to either now or later.

Canmorite
11-17-2014, 02:31 PM
I bought my STi from someone who winter stored it. I didn't get it either, but it worked for me :thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
11-17-2014, 02:31 PM

It's a very strange car to pick as a summer car. Isn't that the whole point of owning one? Getting it dirty and hooning the shit out of it? It makes zero sense to me, but hey it's his money I suppose.

For me, I like to drive my car. Get some 3M on the front end, do some rust proofing, wash your car (regular maintenance) and the damage is really insignificant. Don't drive right behind trucks with no flaps/sanding trucks etc. Stay off deerfoot if you can. But that's just me, and I'm trying to get out of debt not having an extra garage queen. .You gotta earn your keep! I buy my sub 10 k cars cash money..birdman style lol.

I've always managed to get good value selling my 365 day driven cars when I'm done with them. A lot of it is how you take care of it. For example, look at these idiots you see with brand new cars scrubbing the christ out of them with those bristle brushes :eek:

ercchry
11-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Beyond ballers don't pay cash for a depreciating asset, we invest the $$$ elsewhere to make more $$$ and write off the car payment :bigpimp:

i like the "buy cheaper car in cash" route... leaves you with very low monthly liabilities and which means MOAR RISK! which means, all or nothing, but at least your bills are paid either way :rofl:

flipstah
11-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

It's a very strange car to pick as a summer car. Isn't that the whole point of owning one? Getting it dirty and hooning the shit out of it? It makes zero sense to me, but hey it's his money I suppose.

For me, I like to drive my car. Get some 3M on the front end, do some rust proofing, wash your car (regular maintenance) and the damage is really insignificant. Don't drive right behind trucks with no flaps/sanding trucks etc. Stay off deerfoot if you can. But that's just me, and I'm trying to get out of debt not having an extra garage queen. .You gotta earn your keep! I buy my sub 10 k cars cash money..birdman style lol.

I've always managed to get good value selling my 365 day driven cars when I'm done with them. A lot of it is how you take care of it. For example, look at these idiots you see with brand new cars scrubbing the christ out of them with those bristle brushes :eek:

The thing is... You're not this guy.

The Subaru could be his dream car.

Car guys don't make sense. It's like buying an Isuzu and trying to rebuild it.

http://altapeli.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Jackie-Chan-Meme-500x2801-620x350.jpg

Disoblige
11-17-2014, 02:40 PM
I know this person who bought a really old land rover and tried to rebuild it. He named the car after a dude too, which is why I knew he was gay.

flipstah
11-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I know this person who bought a really old land rover and tried to rebuild it. He named the car after a dude too, which is why I knew he was gay.

STFU, I RAGRET NOTHING.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4857177/godzilla-dropkick-o.gif

max_boost
11-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i like the "buy cheaper car in cash" route... leaves you with very low monthly liabilities and which means MOAR RISK! which means, all or nothing, but at least your bills are paid either way :rofl:

Think big. I like your style.

:rofl: :eek:

killramos
11-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Shit just got REAL :devil:

Hallowed_point
11-17-2014, 02:47 PM

The thing is... You're not this guy.

The Subaru could be his dream car.

Car guys don't make sense. It's like buying an Isuzu and trying to rebuild it.

I acknowledge that. But most car guys do make sense, do an extent. This is like buying a Ferrari Testarossa and never revving it beyond 5 K because "it's bad for the engine and it gets worse gas mileage." Rally is an inherent thing associated with Imprezas. ZOMG Ken Block, Monster, Oakley, Flat Brim overload you know?!

Or buying a jeep and never taking it off road.

My prediction: he will get bored of it "because he never drives it" and sell it at a hell of a loss with zero of the enjoyment as he never drove it.

Just like my buddy with his cobra. Bought his dream car, and never drove it. He ended up selling it because his wife decided he doesn't drive it enough. I don't know about you, but I'd have gotten some winter tires right quick to change that argument! :hitit:

Sugarphreak
11-17-2014, 02:51 PM

killramos
11-17-2014, 03:05 PM

I acknowledge that. But most car guys do make sense, do an extent. This is like buying a Ferrari Testarossa and never revving it beyond 5 K because "it's bad for the engine and it gets worse gas mileage." Rally is an inherent thing associated with Imprezas. ZOMG Ken Block, Monster, Oakley, Flat Brim overload you know?!

Or buying a jeep and never taking it off road.

My prediction: he will get bored of it "because he never drives it" and sell it at a hell of a loss with zero of the enjoyment as he never drove it.

Just like my buddy with his cobra. Bought his dream car, and never drove it. He ended up selling it because his wife decided he doesn't drive it enough. I don't know about you, but I'd have gotten some winter tires right quick to change that argument! :hitit:

To be fair its also quite a good on road grip car. Rallying is just one use. Similar to saying there is no point in owning a mustang unless you use it for drag racing.

My fiance would never complain that I dont drive enough lol. She has been trying to get my to buy a bus pass :devil:

faiz999
11-17-2014, 03:10 PM
to each their own, but i certainly wouldnt buy an STI for just the summer as i'd just get a RWD v8 for that. the whole point (to me) of buyin a subie is that it gives you all season performance and was one of the reasons i was looking at it as a daily.

flipstah
11-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Been there done that....

....wait, are you making fun of me!

No, we tight. You my homie.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/3/1/6/anigif_enhanced-buzz-14733-1362138632-0.gif

max_boost
11-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Well good for the next owner he will get a low mileage mint condition STi. OP let me know if he sells in a couple years. I will buy it and use it as a delivery car and give it the abuse and mileage it deserves :rofl:

01RedDX
11-17-2014, 03:45 PM

flipstah
11-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

:werd:
Too bad the current owner is missing out, such a waste to leave it all winter. At least pick a snowy weekend here and there to whip it around.

Who says he doesn't?

So much hypothesis and speculation lol.

dingmah
11-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Shiet this thread blew up. It was just an encounter I was replaying in my mind as I drove into work this morning; that's all. My OP was rushed and re-reading it, it does sound dick-ish.

HeavyD said it best, as it basically sums up my entire thought process and feeling behind the encounter.

The neighbour had a such nice car and it was a shame he wouldn't be enjoying it for half of the year.

killramos
11-17-2014, 03:53 PM
The fiance asked me why i bought a rwd car to drive in winter if it is less safe etc.

I pulled a right into the nearest ice covered parking lot and turned off the nannies.

She doesn't ask that question any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwkbSZlcxkw

:poosie:

Hallowed_point
11-17-2014, 03:58 PM
To be fair its also quite a good on road grip car. Rallying is just one use. Similar to saying there is no point in owning a mustang unless you use it for drag racing.

My fiance would never complain that I dont drive enough lol. She has been trying to get my to buy a bus pass :devil:

That's true. IDK when I picture an STI/WRX I picture loud ass exhaust and covered in muck with rally armor flaps. As it should be! I don't want to get into semantics, because I get what your saying but pony cars were originally meant for trans am racing. The rednecks just took it to a new level with big motors and drag racing haha.

Lol..screw the bus pass idea. Actually some of those CT drivers are pretty hardcore. You step on the bus and the guy just floors it.

killramos
11-17-2014, 04:00 PM

That's true. IDK when I picture an STI/WRX I picture loud ass exhaust and covered in muck with rally armor flaps. As it should be! I don't want to get into semantics, because I get what your saying but pony cars were originally meant for trans am racing. The rednecks just took it to a new level with big motors and drag racing haha.

Lol..screw the bus pass idea. Actually some of those CT drivers are pretty hardcore. You step on the bus and the guy just floors it.

See i should tell the fiance that if i need to take the bus i can justify my SA rated crash helmet!

I love rally-style evos and STI's to but they are pretty great for alot of situations! Love going to the RMR every year!

01RedDX
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM

jaylo
11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Hey it's his money. He is basically paying for depreciation, two auto insurances, two maintenances on two vehicles.

Seems a bad investment to have a $40K perfect AWD vehicle and another $5K vehicle

He could have gotten a full 3M wrap and a set of winter tires and he'd be enjoying all year round

One thing I regret when I stored my vehicles for the winter is when that time that you have to sell the damn thing, you regret not driving it too much because you are "scared" and too careful and anal about your vehicle

It's just a damn vehicle, STI being one of the most common vehicle on the road, this dude's wasting his money

msommers
11-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Shame since that car is so awesome in the winter. Throw on some studded winters and it's invincible!

But I'm of the mindset that cars are meant to be enjoyed rather than preserved. I can see where the other end of the spectrum is coming from though.

Aleks
11-18-2014, 09:53 AM
I think econobox in this context sort of applies not because they are cheap to buy but because of what happens when you sit inside. You feel like you're in an econobox. Even with the refresh the STI lags behind cars in that price range.

Also I did a balloon payment once. Interest rate was 0.9% and lease was not offered because the car was a CPO unit. So I signed up for it as it was pretty easy to make more in returns elsewhere. Of course I only made it through ~ 1 year of that contract before I sold it. :banghead:

tcon
11-18-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty much keeping the STI in all winter aside from occasionally goin' out fer a rip. Hooray for hail damage and total loss vehicle retention pay outs, I can beat the shit out of my WRX during the winter.

Strider
11-18-2014, 10:05 AM
I personally couldn't stand the thought of paying $50k for a car and spending 6 months of the year in a cheap shitty econobox. Of course my car has AWD, heated leather seats, and heated steering wheel.

Comfort/interior wise, a corolla probably isn't much of a downgrade from an STI :rofl:

slinkie
11-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Maybe he's not afraid of gravel/salt, but of other people crashing into him. Anyway :whocares: And personally if it was an 06-07 I'd store that during the winter.

Hallowed_point
11-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
Maybe he's not afraid of gravel/salt, but of other people crashing into him. Anyway :whocares: And personally if it was an 06-07 I'd store that during the winter.

He'd only have to worry about that if he was one of those special people who have an expensive car with only PLPD. We aren't talking a rare car here. It's a machine meant to be used/abused not a picasso original.

ercchry
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM

He'd only have to worry about that if he was one of those special people who have an expensive car with only PLPD. We aren't talking a rare car here. It's a machine meant to be used/abused not a picasso original.

it better get hit hard enough to write it off then, no one wants damage history cars come resale time

Rocket1k78
11-18-2014, 11:02 AM
what do you drive dingmah?

88CRX
11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
The key is to buy a half decent beater.... so much less stress not driving a lowered, moded, car you care about in the winter.

I thought it was stupid to park a car for winter, until I parked my car (now cars lol) for winter. Will never go back.

blownz
11-18-2014, 11:37 AM
The problem in AB is our winters are too long to subject yourself to a "beater" for half a year every year IMO.

I am talking extreme's however. If all your money is in a summer car (any kind of summer car) and you drive something unreliable, unsafe, and no fun at all in the winter, I just don't get it. Parking an STi to drive a really shitty corolla? I don't get. That is suffering too much for about half the year. And the impact to resale on an STi stored for the winter will be minimal as no one expects it.

Someone else mentioned parking a BRZ which while worth less than an STi makes more sense to me just because the car isn't as practical year round. But depending on the winter car, hopefully the guy isn't suffering too much for the winter. Again, our winters are just too long!

My daily driver for the winter for 10 years now have all been RWD. And there are only about 5 days a year that I wish I had something else in the winter and for those days I drive my wife's SUV and she can stay at home. :)

max_boost
11-18-2014, 11:56 AM
3M the thing and get some performance winter tires to match the car so you can blast around during the warmer days haha

On a day like today and there will be lots of them through winter, you drive as if it's summer. :D :burnout:

But for guys like 88crx, modded, pimped show worthy, then store the damn thing haha For everyone else it's a depreciating machine you might as well drive it.

I lease a lot of my cars for that reason, I'm scared someone's going to hit me and drop the value of my car. It's probably the worst feeling. Pay $95k for a car, lose $10k off the lot and then have some guy hit you in year 1. Oh god. lol

pf0sh0
11-18-2014, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with most people here. I like my 2011 wrx a lot and I do worry that someone is going to hit me in winter.... but I got the car because I knew it'd be great all year round with winter tires and 3m its even better.. but to each their own guess lol

89s1
11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
I park my rusty 1993 honda civic sedan for the winter...

I even built a garage for it so it wouldn't get frostbite.

Is this wrong too? :dunno:

Errol.
11-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
The key is to buy a half decent beater.... so much less stress not driving a lowered, moded, car you care about in the winter.

I thought it was stupid to park a car for winter, until I parked my car (now cars lol) for winter. Will never go back.

Where's this half decent beater you speak of? Did you finally sell that pos element?!?

My winter car is worth more than my summer car that I park :drama:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by blownz
The problem in AB is our winters are too long to subject yourself to a "beater" for half a year every year IMO.

I am talking extreme's however. If all your money is in a summer car (any kind of summer car) and you drive something unreliable, unsafe, and no fun at all in the winter, I just don't get it. Parking an STi to drive a really shitty corolla? I don't get. That is suffering too much for about half the year. And the impact to resale on an STi stored for the winter will be minimal as no one expects it.

Someone else mentioned parking a BRZ which while worth less than an STi makes more sense to me just because the car isn't as practical year round. But depending on the winter car, hopefully the guy isn't suffering too much for the winter. Again, our winters are just too long!

My daily driver for the winter for 10 years now have all been RWD. And there are only about 5 days a year that I wish I had something else in the winter and for those days I drive my wife's SUV and she can stay at home. :)

I park my BRZ only because I can afford an ok second vehicle as well (Bugeye WRX with mods). I don't make a ton of money so seeing my hard earned money turn into a dirty rusty car or damaged car possibly wasn't going to work for me so I chose to park it.

Sadly I have gone so far with mods now, I don't even think I can go back to winter driving it if I had to.

88CRX
11-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Errol.

Where's this half decent beater you speak of? Did you finally sell that pos element?!?

My winter car is worth more than my summer car that I park :drama:

I never said I was doing it right :rofl: :rofl:

xnvy
11-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I park my rusty 1993 honda civic sedan for the winter...

I even built a garage for it so it wouldn't get frostbite.

Is this wrong too? :dunno:
I'd store it too. Your rusty Honda Civic is dope and you know it.

Originally posted by Errol.

My winter car is worth more than my summer car that I park :drama: Same for me. But the winter car has heated seats! :rofl:

4doorj
11-18-2014, 02:07 PM
I almost wanted to summer drive only my STI, I didnt want someone to hit me, have shitty paint after one winter, rust.

But then I was looking at daily winter cars and got depressed and decided to winter drive my STI.

So much fun:burnout:

D88
11-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I agree with the idea that if it's not a classic or rare car which will certainly appreciate and turn into an investment then just drive it. Otherwise, you're not saving it from depreciation by letting it sit in a garage. Sure you'll save some of the loss but ultimately you're cheating yourself for not enjoying it like you should and just allowing someone else to benefit from your own sacrifice down the road. You might be disabled or on your death bed tomorrow and you'll be wishing you had more fun in life like driving your car year round like you should have.

Hallowed_point
11-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by D88
Sure you'll save some of the loss but ultimately you're cheating yourself for not enjoying it like you should and just allowing someone else to benefit from your own sacrifice down the road. You might be disabled or on your death bed tomorrow and you'll be wishing you had more fun in life like driving your car year round like you should have.

^^This!^^

In 40 years no one is going to give a flying fuck that you "preserved" your rare specimen of an import car. Unless we are talking some Jacky Chan limited edition WRX with a pocky shifter. Eg..something that is very limited edition that you are keeping solely as an "investment."

That logic is like not banging a hot chick because you know you don't want to risk getting her pregnant. Pull & pray brothas :zzz: Live a little, enjoy life. Have a story to tell.

I doubt any of you want to be that guy in the old folks home talking about how you had this mint WRX that you never drove unless the sun came out. You'll get beat across the head with a cane for not seizing the moment.

NRGie
11-18-2014, 02:54 PM
People look at me like I'm retarded when I tell them I don't drive my Integra in the winter.

Keeping it clean is one thing but I just can't drive it on an everyday basis anymore. After driving my Integra for a couple days then going back to my corolla, the corolla feels like a lexus

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by D88
I agree with the idea that if it's not a classic or rare car which will certainly appreciate and turn into an investment then just drive it. Otherwise, you're not saving it from depreciation by letting it sit in a garage. Sure you'll save some of the loss but ultimately you're cheating yourself for not enjoying it like you should and just allowing someone else to benefit from your own sacrifice down the road. You might be disabled or on your death bed tomorrow and you'll be wishing you had more fun in life like driving your car year round like you should have.

Completely disagree. My BRZ is down right boring and painful to drive daily, it's much better suited to a weekend toy and racecar. If you plan on keeping cars long enough depreciation isn't even a thought in the whole process. Drive whatever you own is best to drive on a daily basis and don't worry about whether it's getting used enough or costing you money or what.

danno
11-18-2014, 04:07 PM
If you have a leased car and someone hits you does it affect when you return it when the lease is up?

E46..sTyLez
11-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by danno
If you have a leased car and someone hits you does it affect when you return it when the lease is up?

**Paging max_boost**

Hallowed_point
11-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by NRGie
People look at me like I'm retarded when I tell them I don't drive my Integra in the winter.

Keeping it clean is one thing but I just can't drive it on an everyday basis anymore. After driving my Integra for a couple days then going back to my corolla, the corolla feels like a lexus

Well that's something I can understand. If it's a car with racing seats, straight pipes, no creature comforts for sure, it's one I'd store for winter too! I guess value isn't the be all and end all.

rage2
11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by danno
As long as it's fixed? Nope.

I was well ahead on my SLK32 AMG lease return with 2 huge accidents on the books, and right at the mileage limit even with a fairly high interest rate.

That's the main reason I only lease my winter cars, and buy my summer cars.

E46..sTyLez
11-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2

As long as it's fixed? Nope.

I was well ahead on my SLK32 AMG lease return with 2 huge accidents on the books, and right at the mileage limit even with a fairly high interest rate.

That's the main reason I only lease my winter cars, and buy my summer cars.

That's funny, I was saying page max_boost in regards to his SLK as well haha

max_boost
11-18-2014, 06:24 PM
^^^

Haha should have leased the SLK but I thought I was going to keep it forever. I do miss that car though :(

msommers
11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Can someone explain to me the benefits of leasing, and what your mental process is of why you're doing this?

The only thing I've heard about leasing is that it's great if it's a company vehicle that you intend to change every couple years. But I'd like to know more specifics on this.

pheoxs
11-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Can someone explain to me the benefits of leasing, and what your mental process is of why you're doing this?

The only thing I've heard about leasing is that it's great if it's a company vehicle that you intend to change every couple years. But I'd like to know more specifics on this.

There's a wide variety of reasons, everyone is in a different situation so sometimes leasing is more attractive.

- Different taxation / write off rules for a company vehicle if its leased
- If the buyout at the end is appropriate it saves hassle of selling the vehicle if you decide to get something else. No dealing with kijiji lowballers as well as your not forced to go back to a stealership to trade it in
- Even if you want to keep the vehicle long term it gives you the term of your lease to decide if its a lemon and either keep it or dump it if its junk.
- If you get in a big accident or something it could depreciate the value of your vehicle when selling it, whereas a lease is unaffected due to the terms of it (provided its repaired at a licensed place, which it would be because insurance)
- Lower monthly payment, for the ballers on a budget that are trying to act rich you can get a nicer vehicle for less $. Stupid decision financially but a choice that some people choose to make.
- Sometimes easier to get rid of. You can find someone to simply do a lease takeover and do the transfer paperwork. With selling a car you need to deal with getting your financing paid off and then their situation, *sometimes* a lease transfer is less headache, depending on the circumstance

BMDUBS
11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

I agree with heavyD. I have winter stored a few cars (BMW E46 & E93 M3) and in the end the only person who benefited was the next owner. You still have to insure it and takes up valuable garage space. Unless you're set to keep the car for a really long time or are OCD, I am slowly changing to the camp of just drive it and wash regularly in the winter.

max_boost
11-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by msommers

For me I like the fixed terms. X payment. X months. Option at end to sell for profit or give it back. If someone writes it off during the lease, won't bother me a bit.

For example: My 328. $550/month. 48 months. 80,000kms. $26400 paid. I thought it was a pretty good deal for renting and to drive a BMW lol

I try to keep the payment in the 5-600 range. It could be an RSX/WRX/328/GTI/etc. doesn't matter. The best deal wins for me haha To me it's no different than any other hobby. This is just where I allocate my money.

msommers
11-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys.

max_boost
11-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Not to mention it's easy to find people willing to deliver for you when you tell them the delivery car is a BMW :rofl: :burnout: :thumbsup: