View Full Version : Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Tik-Tok
09-02-2015, 10:36 AM
So same as before.

vengie
09-02-2015, 10:38 AM
First!

We had layoffs in January... 33% some fat trimming, some cut deep, and have since hired back about 29%.

Pay cuts are still in place though :thumbsdow :cry:

Oilfield service company.

Mibz
09-02-2015, 10:38 AM
That last option has nothing to do with the rest of the poll...

finboy
09-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Yes, and likely more to come shortly, oilfield services company

dirtsniffer
09-02-2015, 10:52 AM
My company did huge cuts in December / January. Still running lean and mean.

Hero_X
09-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I might be getting laid off this week! lol :poosie:

403ep3
09-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Friend at Tervita was let go.. I think they are doing it today

killramos
09-02-2015, 11:09 AM
No layoffs. None planned, management actively pursuing options that explicitly avoid staff cuts which is how i qualify the none planned.

Had a small "pay cut" that resulted in some forced time off this year. Basically forced time off we weren't paid for.

Tik-Tok
09-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
That last option has nothing to do with the rest of the poll...

Delete it if you want Mr.Mod

Mibz
09-02-2015, 11:16 AM
You can live with your shame the way I do every time I visit the Marketplace.

lasimmon
09-02-2015, 11:18 AM
No one laid off. No one expected to be laid off.

Oilfield Service Company.

CompletelyNumb
09-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Most people laid off. Probably more to come.

Directional Drilling company.

I need to find these service companies that still have work.

carson blocks
Pay cut, hour cuts, and staff have been laid off and being are replaced with much cheaper, much more junior staff. Major EPC

Tik-Tok
You can live with your shame the way I do every time I visit the Marketplace.

I cannot.

http://k30.kn3.net/987F7253D.gif

Manhattan
09-02-2015, 11:39 AM
How many people are considering leaving the city/province to find work elsewhere? Doesn't seem like situation will be improving soon. Many people out of work since beginning of the year. Separate poll? :dunno:

holden
09-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
How many people are considering leaving the city/province to find work elsewhere? Doesn't seem like situation will be improving soon. Many people out of work since beginning of the year. Separate poll? :dunno:

My company would probably move me to the US if wanted and I've been considering it. The only thing is I don't like is having my visa tied to my job. If I could figure out how to get my green card after transferring, I would likely do it.

CompletelyNumb
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Get married down there? :dunno:

holden
09-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Get married down there? :dunno:

Honestly, that is option #1 right now.

Originally posted by 403ep3
Friend at Tervita was let go.. I think they are doing it today

http://calgaryherald.com/business/energy/tervita-announces-new-ceo-confirms-staff-reductions

duaner
09-02-2015, 12:07 PM
I've been laid off twice this year and "found" work both times--the first time took 6 weeks and the second took 5 weeks. I say "found" because they weren't jobs I searched and applied for but were through connections.

XylathaneGTR
09-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Yes and Yes; O&G midstream. Prevous resposne in Part 2 was No/No.
3 peeps were cut in my group a few months back...one in my current position and one in my previous position, thankfully still employed but at risk fo sho. No benefit cuts or anything like that...but definitely some reduction in expenditures.

riander5
09-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Voted #1 - midsize producer - mass layoffs jan / march led to stress free summer if they lay anyonen else off we will have to start shutting fields in with this skeleton crew

Cos
09-02-2015, 12:41 PM

riander5
09-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Had a nightmare I was getting laid off along with my whole department a couple nights ago. However really really unlikely to ever see any layoffs here and if there are, I should be quite a bit from the bottom. There is some concern though that with O&G slowing down a lot, our revenue streams are going to start falling next year (1 year contracts so usually have time to ride things like this out) but it isn't looking great.

Regulated utility company.

I had a dream I got laid off last night too! Damn this economy

ExtraSlow
09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Over 40% of Canadian staff have been laid off in 2015 - Large Oilfield service company.

I predict a small number of additional cuts in October.

Feruk
09-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Small to midsize producer. We've done targeted snipes here and there and not renewed some contracts, but that's it so far. I expect more to come after the budget cycle.

Perfect Dark
09-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Drilling rig capital equipment/service company. Manufacturing is pretty much completely dead with exception to international markets. We've been very lucky on service in Canada as our biggest customer is still ramping up through this shitshow so as long as they stay busy we will too.

I also deal with a bunch of rigs in the middle east so my 3am phone calls continue to come in as usual haha.

dandia89
09-02-2015, 02:49 PM
attitudes are at an all time low. TC provided me a consulting company that is paid for to transition employees into a new role (i.e encana, transcanada, cnrl are all part of it) and going to these meetings, people are so depressed it just brings the overall morale down.

flipstah
09-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
attitudes are at an all time low. TC provided me a consulting company that is paid for to transition employees into a new role (i.e encana, transcanada, cnrl are all part of it) and going to these meetings, people are so depressed it just brings the overall morale down.

I went to one of those. Just went to the tax session and that's it haha.

A PM position I applied for got rescinded due to "further news of continued down turn in the economy"

:(

Xtrema
09-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Headcount has be reduced by 25% since beginning of the year and looks like at least another 10-15% to go as nobody got $ for projects and continue cost pressure on ops.

IT Service Company.

This one is getting worse than 2009.

510-Trevor
09-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Non O&G structural steel is as busy as I've seen it over the last 20 years. We've hired staff at every level over the last 6 months. Never been laid off, never worried about being laid off. Every time there is a down turn in the energy sector I am thankful l that I chose job security over $$.

idriveabox
09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Voted #4. Business as usual here, major pipeline company.

A2VR6
09-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Yes and Yes; O&G midstream. Prevous resposne in Part 2 was No/No.
3 peeps were cut in my group a few months back...one in my current position and one in my previous position, thankfully still employed but at risk fo sho. No benefit cuts or anything like that...but definitely some reduction in expenditures.

:werd: summed it up Pretty good. Except instead of 3 peeps it was more like 10 for me that was cut in my group.

kaput
09-02-2015, 06:14 PM

adamc
09-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark
Drilling rig capital equipment/service company. Manufacturing is pretty much completely dead with exception to international markets. We've been very lucky on service in Canada as our biggest customer is still ramping up through this shitshow so as long as they stay busy we will too.

I also deal with a bunch of rigs in the middle east so my 3am phone calls continue to come in as usual haha.

You still with Academy?

Manhattan
09-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Downtown condos are sure taking a beating. I've seen some do 2 price drops now and still aren't selling. There are two upper floor 2 bed 2 bath units in Colours asking low $400's. I think they would have been mid to high $400's a year ago, but I don't have the sales history to confirm. That would reflect much more than a 10% drop if I remember correctly.

I was surprised to find out that TCPL just hired an engineering friend to work for them as a contractor. I wonder if their trying a strategy to shed employees and use contractors at reduced rates and casual hours to keep functioning with minimal commitment.

Actually it's because a new apartment tower just went up right beside Colours obstructing the east facing view and you're losing plenty of privacy. Also, both of those units have a "bedroom" without a window, so technically one bed + den. They shouldn't be asking for much more than 400K even in a boom.

Xtrema
09-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by kaput

I was surprised to find out that TCPL just hired an engineering friend to work for them as a contractor. I wonder if their trying a strategy to shed employees and use contractors at reduced rates and casual hours to keep functioning with minimal commitment.

Depending on how they put the value on employee's time. When I used to worked for one of major O&G, employee's time is priced at $120/hr.

Right now I'm sure plenty is willing to contract under that rate. Contractors now are more flexible and cheaper than employees.

Prail
09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
I'd be curious what kind of contract work is billing out 20k monthly that people are 'settling' for per month assuming 40 hour weeks?

Perfect Dark
09-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Double.

Perfect Dark
09-02-2015, 11:06 PM
We got merged with another company about 5 years ago, still in the same shitty yard though haha yeah.

flipstah
09-02-2015, 11:37 PM
As a contractor, companies don't have to shell out pension, benefits, bonuses so they prefer that.

I'm sleepy.

killramos
09-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
As a contractor, companies don't have to shell out pension, benefits, bonuses so they prefer that.

Or in many of these cases, severance is a big one.

flipstah
09-03-2015, 07:13 AM
I couldn't sleep because of jetlag but read that Tervita is cutting management staff by 15%.

403ep3
09-03-2015, 07:35 AM
All staff I think http://calgaryherald.com/business/energy/tervita-lays-off-15-per-cent-of-its-workforce

Feruk
09-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Tervita won't be around this time next year anyway I don't think.

Cos
09-03-2015, 07:57 AM

killramos
09-03-2015, 07:59 AM
I notice that Dave Werklund is chairman.

Spin off of CCS?

I was just thinking the same thing. I know of them but not much.

edit: looks like i was partially right, amalgamation of different CCS branches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tervita

schurchill39
09-03-2015, 08:07 AM
My company reduced our office workforce by 25% and our field workforce by 35%. Shut down a few international operations and are focusing on Canada and the US. All RRSP and stock matching ceased as well as a 20% pay cut earlier this year. We got 10% reinstated a little while ago but the other benefits remain cut.

I work for a service company so I am going to assume that as soon as producers release their 2016 budgets I think we'd be going through another cut.

flipstah
09-03-2015, 08:44 AM
My Eurotrip is cancelled and it's non-refundable. :(

Was suppose to fly tomorrow.

Cos
09-03-2015, 08:49 AM

killramos
09-03-2015, 08:50 AM

I don't get it? Have i missed some post that makes this make more sense?

flipstah
09-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ why not go?

Gotta stretch the severance haha!

Originally posted by killramos

I don't get it? Have i missed some post that makes this make more sense?

Nah. Just random insomnia jibberish.

Disoblige
09-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Gotta stretch the severance haha! Just go, lol.

403ep3
09-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Stretch the severance in Europe! :whocares:

flipstah
09-03-2015, 08:59 AM
STAHP lol.

Any official word on Cenovus?

eglove
09-03-2015, 09:04 AM
just go, don't waste a trip

Manhattan
09-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Just go. What's the worst than can happen?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/couple-who-quit-jobs-to-travel-the-world-now-broke-scrubbing-toilets-1.3211621

flipstah
09-03-2015, 09:12 AM
I want to but it would be financial suicide!

1Euro = 1.46CAD

Fuck adulthood. :cry: :guns:

Cos
09-03-2015, 09:13 AM

max_boost
09-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Ya man yolo. You can do deliveries for me when you get back. I got an opening rotating friends lol

eglove
09-03-2015, 09:22 AM

1Euro = 1.46CAD

You can do it, just don't eat at all the baller places

CompletelyNumb
09-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Cos

You've spent half of it already. Just go on the cheap and live in hostels. There is a labourer job open at my work. If you NEED a job you can come do that for $30.00.

Your work pays labourers $30? AN HOUR? :nut: :cry:

Mibz
09-03-2015, 09:23 AM

Was suppose to fly tomorrow. You can go on the trip and then deal with the consequences or you can not go on the trip and likely end up dealing with the exact same situation, just slightly further down the road.

Guess which one you'll regret.

Cos
09-03-2015, 09:24 AM

flipstah
09-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Lol thanks MB and Cos, but I gotta wear the big boy pants. Don't know how long this will take so not really feeling like rolling the dice.

I'll wait for Uber to get running. :burnout:

Applying for jobs today. Again. :)

AH FUCK YOU, MIBZ. :cry:

vengie
09-03-2015, 09:25 AM

As mentioned by everyone else... just go! Stay in hostels, eat cheap, it'll be one hell of an experience.

When you're back, pick up whatever work you can.

CompletelyNumb
09-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah, it is meant for pre-apprenticeship. They're 6 month temporary and if you work out you get on fulltime as a first year.

It is actually $31.12.

Damn, that's a pretty good deal. What trade?

Oh and flip, +1 on going. Travel is never the wrong answer.

HiTempguy1
09-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Your work pays labourers $30? AN HOUR? :nut: :cry:

I can't get someone to come out and clean my one bedroom (which is pretty clean) and accompanying bathroom (which is quite a mess) for less than $100... walmart pays employees minimum wage in comparison to their job duties, I just can't see that price being justifiable, and yet that's about the going rate :nut:

CompletelyNumb
09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I can't get someone to come out and clean my one bedroom (which is pretty clean) and accompanying bathroom (which is quite a mess) for less than $100... walmart pays employees minimum wage in comparison to their job duties, I just can't see that price being justifiable, and yet that's about the going rate :nut:

Lol give it a few months. I bet a kijiji ad offering someone $30 to do it would get answered.

HiTempguy1
09-03-2015, 09:44 AM
The money is already sunk from the flights, just go and live as cheap as possible.

I don't know how hard you ball, but christ, if you've already spent a grand or two on tickets, is another 2-3 grand really what is going to bankrupt you? This is Beyond damnit, HELOC that shit!

bjstare
09-03-2015, 09:44 AM

Can you really blame them though?

I sure as fuck wouldn't scrub some random guys dirty bathroom for $100, let alone clean the rest of their place:rofl:

flipstah
09-03-2015, 09:53 AM
The money is already sunk from the flights, just go and live as cheap as possible.

I don't know how hard you ball, but christ, if you've already spent a grand or two on tickets, is another 2-3 grand really what is going to bankrupt you? This is Beyond damnit, HELOC that shit!

Well, I'm only down $700CAD on the main flight. Everything else was through hostelworld.com and refundable.

LOL I can't HELOC when I have no HE yet to begin with! Just bought this damn place. :rofl:

I can just walk away and just re-book when things are stable again.

Mibz
09-03-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm only down $700CAD Oh. Fuck it then.

403ep3
09-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Well, I'm only down $700CAD on the main flight. Everything else was through hostelworld.com and refundable.

LOL I can't HELOC when I have no HE yet to begin with! Just bought this damn place. :rofl:

I can just walk away and just re-book when things are stable again.

Just go and use rewards points! The more you spend the more you'll get back!

Cenovus is quiet on my end.. haven't heard much on other floors

HiTempguy1
09-03-2015, 10:01 AM

Well, I'm only down $700CAD on the main flight.

Oh. Well in that case, you are definitely making the right decision. :thumbsup: I kind of assumed the flights would be more!

Originally posted by cjblair

Can you really blame them though?

I sure as fuck wouldn't scrub some random guys dirty bathroom for $100, let alone clean the rest of their place:rofl:

Hell, I don't want to clean my OWN place :rofl: Its a long story though, one that isn't really my fault. Point is, I don't want to do the cleaning because "reasons", and there are people's whose job earns more money than I do to clean a shitter apparently :rofl:

If you look at the "hourly" rate, that's probably $50/hour at $100 for 2 hours of work (if you go hard, the bedroom is small, and its a small bathroom).

Even factoring in every conceivable expense and taxes, it's easily $25+/h net cash which is fantastic money for no education, let alone truly "menial" labour :dunno: Must be unionized :rofl:

Cos
09-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Manhattan
09-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Where were you flying to Europe for $700 all in?

I'd still go just to bum in a hostel. You can still apply for jobs and it'll still be an interesting experience. I'm sure there are tons of other bums in the hostel in worse financial situation than you.

flipstah
09-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Oh. Fuck it then.

Oh. Well in that case, you are definitely making the right decision. :thumbsup: I kind of assumed the flights would be more!

Originally posted by Cos

+1, I thought you were 2k plus sunk. Not worth the 3-4K loss and stress for $700.

Can't convert it into a credit with the airline?

Yeah, I'm just walking away from it. Normally, I wouldn't and go YOLO but I had to fly to Asia last week for bereavement and my fund got dinged. :(

The flight was so cheap that it's non-refundable, with no future credit. It's weird how airlines are the only industry that can get away with either charging for a name change or refusing to transfer a ticket to someone :rofl:

---

I wonder who's next on the chopping block for industries. Any word from Crescent Point and their free breakfasts?

Originally posted by Manhattan
Where were you flying to Europe for $700 all in?

I'd still go just to bum in a hostel. You can still apply for jobs and it'll still be an interesting experience. I'm sure there are tons of other bums in the hostel in worse financial situation than you.

CPH. :bigpimp:

suntan
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Hell, I don't want to clean my OWN place :rofl: Its a long story though, one that isn't really my fault. Point is, I don't want to do the cleaning because "reasons", and there are people's whose job earns more money than I do to clean a shitter apparently :rofl:

If you look at the "hourly" rate, that's probably $50/hour at $100 for 2 hours of work (if you go hard, the bedroom is small, and its a small bathroom).

Even factoring in every conceivable expense and taxes, it's easily $25+/h net cash which is fantastic money for no education, let alone truly "menial" labour :dunno: Must be unionized :rofl: Go find your community's Facebook page and put in a request asking for someone's Filipino nanny's time.

flipstah
09-03-2015, 10:19 AM
^ C'mon man, why they gotta be Filipino? ... :cry:

sabad66
09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
flipstah, check if your CC has trip cancellation coverage. Mine does, and from reading the terms it is allowed to be used for "Involuntary loss of Your principal employment provided a letter of termination or official notice of layoff is produced, and provided you had no knowledge of this loss at the time of trip payment"

(see page 22 here as an example for my CC https://www.bmo.com/pdf/World_Elite_Total_Travel_Medical.pdf)

flipstah
09-03-2015, 10:40 AM
I called ScotiaBank and the Momentum Infinite only has trip interruption. Boourns haha.

Manhattan
09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
You'll have the best travel experiences traveling young & broke. It's not the most comfortable but it will be the most memorable. Just sayin.

BavarianBeast
09-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Just got a raise :dunno:

max_boost
09-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Well I guess you can travel anytime. Not that there's an age limit. It's all about your attitude and your bank account helps too haha

schurchill39
09-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Holy shit boys. These threads get hijacked so quickly :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-03-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm starting to think about taking on a third job soon lol. Work in the car industry has really slowed down.

cycosis
09-03-2015, 11:58 AM

1Euro = 1.46CAD

Fuck me I know! I leave for Italy on the 12th. My car rental is 800 euro :cry:

flipstah
09-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Holy shit boys. These threads get hijacked so quickly :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Lol my bad!

My travel days aren't over. Just postponed.

Darkane
09-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Rumor mill: JV Driver layed off some people. Not sure how many.

Sugarphreak
09-03-2015, 12:49 PM

roopi
09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I am so busy at my new job I have no time for beyond :eek:

Don't worry killramos will keep the post count up for everyone.

n1zm0
09-03-2015, 01:03 PM
My company not at all but it's also not O&G related, SO's however (brand name O&G) already laid off a bunch, supposedly next round to come soon, i.e: contractors or something.

Originally posted by eglove
You can do it, just don't eat at all the baller places

:werd: if there's one thing I learn about EU after visiting, is that there's a shawarma shop every few blocks :D , not half bad either vs here.

Disoblige
09-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by roopi

:rofl:

R154
09-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Sugarphreak, you got a job!?!!

So you're staying in AB then?

Where did you find work?

BavarianBeast
09-03-2015, 02:22 PM
He works at freak lunch box. Slanging that sugar.

killramos
09-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Apparently we just hired a contract engineer. So who fricken knows whats going on here...

killramos
09-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Someone's got to keep beyond profitable!

R154
09-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Maybe he is a real estate mogul. That'd be cool.

I hope he is doing well.

Cos
09-03-2015, 02:42 PM

max_boost
09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
So does that mean sugarphreak won't have to sell his house?