Quantcast
Need more guitar discussion - Page 63 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 63 of 119 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2368

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

95teetee, what is the price on that Hagstrom Les Paul copy? is that a bolt on neck, or a set neck? just curious as i'm looking at an ibanez LP copy with a set neck, but might wanna try this out too if the price is right.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone has experience with Behringer pedals? I can get a tube amp pedal for $32.99. Highly suspicious..

My Ride
    boosted crvtec civic

Originally posted by flipstah
    Anyone has experience with Behringer pedals? I can get a tube amp pedal for $32.99. Highly suspicious..

with behringer, you always get what you pay for..... some of their effects are not all that bad, and it usually lasts a while, but i guarantee you wont get a decent tube tone out of that pedal.

for $50, you can buy a digitech bad monkey. same circuits as a tubescreamer, but has a separate high and low eq knob

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsfootpedals.html

These are getting great reviews on HC.
    I've had a few different pickups from GFS, and they've all been really solid. Excellent value.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by misterrick

with behringer, you always get what you pay for..... some of their effects are not all that bad, and it usually lasts a while, but i guarantee you wont get a decent tube tone out of that pedal.

for $50, you can buy a digitech bad monkey. same circuits as a tubescreamer, but has a separate high and low eq knob
    Originally posted by TKRIS
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsfootpedals.html

These are getting great reviews on HC.
    I've had a few different pickups from GFS, and they've all been really solid. Excellent value.
    Thanks for the help! I'll check out the Bad Monkey but I'm leaning towards the GFS Fat Tube Classic pedal now.

I'm still looking for a cheap, yet awesome, wah pedal. eBay has used Crybaby's up for sale for ~$50CDN but with shipping, might as well buy a new one locally.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'll check out the Bad Monkey but I'm leaning towards the GFS Fat Tube Classic pedal now.
    If you're planning on making a GFS order, lemme know and maybe we can split shipping. I was gonna make an order last week but couldn't figure out everything I wanted

My Ride

I've got a bunch of stuff I'd like to order as well that I've been hesitating on, on account of shipping costs.
    I'm totally down with a group order.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm down for a group order but I've never done one before so I don't know how to organize it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Okay I'll organize it then. Anyone else interested in jumping in?

Headcount:
    me
    flipstah
    TKRIS

We'll do it like this:

1. Lemme know what you want. Send me the exact link(s) so I don't make the mistake of ordering the wrong thing.
    2. The percentage of the subtotal cost for your order will be the same percentage of the shipping/brokerage/GST you'll play (ie: if your part of the order makes up 20% of the subtotal cost, you'll pay 20% of the shipping/brokerage/GST)
    3. Since I don't wanna get stuck with anything you guys are ordering should you decide to change your mind later on, you'll have to give me a down payment for most of your order before I place it. I don't expect a 100% down payment, but I would like most of it accounted for. We can work out the remainder once the stuff arrives and we know the exchange/shipping/brokerage/GST.

Sound fair? Are you guys in any rush to make this order? I still need to figure out exactly what I want.

TKRIS: Would you want me just to hold onto your stuff until you're in Calgary next?

My Ride

I'll likely be down for that.
    I'll need a couple days to put together a list of stuff I need to make sure it's worth driving down to Calgary.
    FWIW, this would be an excellent time for someone to buy a couple Xavieres...

I just bought another strat, on top of the Ibanez that got here last week. And i just bought another amp. For safety's sake, anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

This solo just blows my mind. Looks easy enough to play, but on second thought

I love this shit... honestly
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Okay I'll organize it then. Anyone else interested in jumping in?

Headcount:
    me
    flipstah
    TKRIS

We'll do it like this:

1. Lemme know what you want. Send me the exact link(s) so I don't make the mistake of ordering the wrong thing.
    2. The percentage of the subtotal cost for your order will be the same percentage of the shipping/brokerage/GST you'll play (ie: if your part of the order makes up 20% of the subtotal cost, you'll pay 20% of the shipping/brokerage/GST)
    3. Since I don't wanna get stuck with anything you guys are ordering should you decide to change your mind later on, you'll have to give me a down payment for most of your order before I place it. I don't expect a 100% down payment, but I would like most of it accounted for. We can work out the remainder once the stuff arrives and we know the exchange/shipping/brokerage/GST.

Sound fair? Are you guys in any rush to make this order? I still need to figure out exactly what I want.

TKRIS: Would you want me just to hold onto your stuff until you're in Calgary next?
    I'm in no rush but sounds good! I'm still deciding on what else to get, if any.

Anyone here try the Vox Satchurator (Joe Satriani's signature pedal) or the Ibanez Jemini (Steve Vai's signature pedal) yet?

My Ride
    Exploded.

TKRIS, how hard is it to mod guitars? I want to mod my guitar to have P-90s but I have no idea where or even how to start it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Just basic soldering skills, it's not hard. I've redone pickups on more than 1/2 of my guitars. The most difficult ones were replacing Les Paul pickups, the stock humbuckers was prewired, while the replacement Duncans were basically 2 pickups with wires for each one to allow for more creative phase wiring, etc. which took a while to figure out that I needed it parallel (I think) haha.

You should read up on the different types of schematics for wiring. Lots of neat stuff you can do. Parallel, Serial, coil taps, master tone/volume, the possibilities are endless to get different sounds out of the guitar.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah here's a good reference for different ways to wire a Les Paul:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tone...g-library.html

I'm gonna rewire mine 50's style, which seems come highly recommended over the stock wiring.

My Ride

Not very, but it kind of depends on the guitar.
    Presuming it already has humbuckers, getting true P90's to fit can be tricky, as they're a different size. You'd probably have to do a little routing, which can get pretty involved.
    Fortunately, there are much easier solutions.
    http://www.norcalguitars.com/h90.html

These pups are handwound by Bryan, get absolutely phenominal reviews everywhere I've looked.
    He's basically gotten a true P90 to fit into a humbucker size case. If you're a member of Harmony Central, he'll knock 10% or so off for you as well.
    On a little tighter budget, GFS makes a humbucker size P90 (Mean 90), but from what I can gather, they're good, but not in the same league as the BG Pups.

If you have soldering questions or anything, let me know and I'll help if I can. I'm no master, but I've put together, and modded, a few things (guitars, tube amp, pedals, etc). I've got a new guitar that should be here next week, and I'll probably be swapping pickups in it, so I could do a little tutorial, if anyone's interested.

You can get wiring diagrams all over the net. This is usually my first stop:
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ringresources/
    Spend a little time tracing the diagrams though and learning a bit of the theory. It'll help track down any problems you might have, and you might be able to figure out better ways of doing it (depending on your application), but only if you have an understanding of how the wiring works.

It can be a lot of fun. The Jackson I just traded had Seymour Duncan pickups, coil splits, series/parallel switching, and a volume treble bleed mod. Because I'm not yet able to bring myself to start gutting my Epi Slash, I'd like to get another LP to do Jimmy Page wiring. The new strat might eventually get S1 wiring, if I can find the right pickups for a decent price.
    Last edited by TKRIS; 01-29-2010 at 12:21 AM.

My Ride
    firebird

TKRIS, how hard is it to mod guitars? I want to mod my guitar to have P-90s but I have no idea where or even how to start it.
    Seymour Duncan makes a P-90 pickup that you may be interested in. Its called the P Rail and can be wired for a humbucker, P90 and single coil, but fits in the slot of a humbucker. I'm putting 3 of them in my triple pickup SG that I'm turning into a slide guitar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Seymour-Dunc...#ht_1517wt_937
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride

I played around with those on a guitar a few months ago. My impression was that they could do a passable P90, a passable humbucker, and a decent single coil.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    If you're looking to set up one guitar to do a decent job of everything, I don't think these can be beat. But if you're after that real distinct P90 sound, I didn't really think these nailed it. YMMV.

Lots of really cool wiring options though. I've thought about getting a set to put into a strat and have about a dozen mini switches, just for the hell of it. See how much of a rat's nest I can create under that pickguard.

Bought a Crate V5 the other day. Sounds like shit. Horrible speaker.
    From what i can gather, the original circuit had a Volume, Gain, and Tone. When the dumbed it down, they essentially removed the Volume pot instead of the Gain pot, so the "Volume" on this amp is basically just a Gain. As such, up to about "4", it sounds good. After that, the OP Amp starts clipping all over the place, and it's basically going batshit fucking crazy by the time you get enough juice going through it to cook the tubes.
    It's getting surgery ASAP to correct this. Looking for a cheap 10" speaker if anyone's got one.

On the upside, I got it DIRT cheap, I'm pretty confident that a couple hours with a soldering iron can smooth out the circuit, and a few bucks for a new speaker, I should have a killer sounding tube amp for very, very little money.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Okay, I'm getting bored with my LP and want a Blackout Tele.

Anyone wanna to buy it for $250? If not, I'll just keep it as a "Frankenstein" guitar for me to fiddle around it and mod stuff with.

I will have you Black Tele.

Last edited by flipstah; 01-31-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Page 63 of 119 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 73 ... LastLast