Quantcast
Slow Progress - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slow Progress

My Ride
    bmw m3

Default Slow Progress

Im starting to get really frustrated with my slow progression.
    Since last year i've only been able to put on 7 pounds.
    Who here after 4 years of weight lifting is still able to put on 10 or more pounds of lean mass naturally.

When was the last time you changed your work out routine? And I mean completely radical change?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    bmw m3

Just recently changed to high reps.
    Im going to try to cut back on the amount of the times i go to the gym and focus more on recovery.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

How is your diet ... if you're thinking your traiing intense enough then I would imagine an upgrade in deit wouldhelp. Think about it, training wont make you heavier eating more will.
    Autosignature

Ya dude its all about diet and cosistency. Find a nice bulking diet with high cals. and have a high calorie high protein shake after every workout.
    -Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival-

Originally posted by pinoyhero
    How is your diet ... if you're thinking your traiing intense enough then I would imagine an upgrade in deit would help. Think about it, training wont make you heavier eating more will.
    That is where I would start.. you need to be in a + comsumption of calories and if you are one of those skinny guys that has a high metabolism you might want to look at alternative diets to see what will work for you. More carb, more fat, more protien, everyone is different in what works.

When I would try to put on mass I would ust eat, yes I gained some bf% but I found it was much easier to gain with the excess. The 2-3%bf I could always drop later.

I would also check your workout, lose all the little movements in favor of large muscle groups to make gains quicker. Squats/Deads/Bench are you friends.. nothing beats a PL routine to gain size... Bicep curls all day are not going to gain you mass, think back, hams, chest.

Recovery is a good thing too, if you are not getting enough, when do your muscles have time to rebuild...
    Try different things to get you through the plateaus.
    Check getbig.com, steriods.com (not for steriods, but there are great articles on there that are work out related) another good link for ideas is intensemuscle.com... and lots of other resources for getting over plateaus.

There are lots of opinons and thoughts about the subject, but you need to find what works for you.

Good Luck!

My Ride
    bmw m3

Yea i dont believe in bulking up with excess calories and then cutting down. I know it works but its not for me.

^^Why is it not for you? Excess calories, protein and good training is the magical equation for mass.
    -Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival-

My Ride
    bmw m3

I like staying lean all year around.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by civic_rida
    I like staying lean all year around.
    Then you will probably always have trouble putting on mass.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    bmw m3

lol

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Nah, not really, you can put oin weight with clean food and compound movements, just wont be as easy. Check your caloire count and up it, bolt on more carbs (veggies and fruits) and fat (nuts) and protien (eggs meats). Skip the protien shakes and focus on lots of real food, treat eating like training, it can be just as if not more important.

When it comes to training kutt3r has the idea, squat, deadlift, oly lifts (snatch, clean and jerk) and rows/chins are the way to go. Skip anything machine based and focused on small muscle groups. The goal is to get the body to get broken down by hurting te muscles and release testosterone by forcing it to work harder than its used to.

If you want something new give Crossfit a try (crossfit.com) I've been on it for 6 months, its not for everyone (wel maybe it is) but I absolutely love it. I've tried tons of different stuff in my 10+ years of training and this is the shiz.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Years training means nothing when it comes to muscles. I've seen lots of people training for 5+ years with the basically the same body composition from the start.

I know you wanna stay lean year round and all that, AND YOU CAN, but do you have the discipline?

There are a few things you can do here.. A Damage control day (or two) can really help.

Eat massive AND clean (keyword clean) and on two days of the week cuts carbs to 50/day. The damage control days will keep fat in check while giving you surplus days to grow.

The other option is to do a timed carb diet approach. Eat ALL carbs around the workout if possible. But you can pretty much stay lean eating clean and logging everything you eat, making small adjustments based on weight, measurements, and body fat.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

If you've been training for a year and you only put 7lbs on your doing something wrong either your program or your diet it's that simple. Like pinoyhero said you need alot of Heavy Compound exercises and your definitely going to have to eat more especially high protein foods.

And DON"T NEGLECT LEG TRAINING it's more important to your overall physique than you may think.

My Ride

Originally posted by 94boosted

And DON"T NEGLECT LEG TRAINING it's the most important part to your overall physique
    Fixed.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Ha, putting on weight is one of my favorites things to do. To gain mass you need to eat, eat and eat some more! Just up your calorie intake and you will gain weight that simple. Try a weight gainer if you are having trouble eating enough.

My Ride
    bmw m3

When i started out i was 150 . Last year i was 180 and this year im 187 and around 10 percent body fat.
    My diet is around 3000 calories with 160 grams of protein and under 200 grams of carbs per day. I train legs just not a fan of squats. Going to try going to the gym 4 times a week see how that works.
    Last edited by civic_rida; 10-22-2008 at 10:41 PM.

When i started out i was 150 . Last year i was 180 and this year im 187 and around 10 percent body fat.
    My diet is around 3000 calories with 160 grams of protein and under 200 grams of carbs per day. I train legs just not a fan of squats. Going to try going to the gym 4 times a week see how that works.
    Up your protien , that is the first thing I see... for gaining you are going to want 1.5g-2.0/lbs at least. (I think Darkane had a great post some where about this with better figures... I never drop under 1.5g/lbs ever...)

How tall are you? Whats your build? 7lbs might have been a good gain for your body type... things slow down as you get the base going...(you have gained 30lbs) there are so many factors that is very hard to determine on a forum.

My Ride

I train legs just not a fan of squats.
    To bad. Why don't you like them?

It might be a blow to your ego but try using a light weight and doing box squats. This will help build proper form, strengthen the posterior chain and give you the proper metabolic demand that squats produce.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    bmw m3

Im 5'10

Darkane would doing squats on the smith machine be okay to start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast