Quantcast
2009 wrx265 vs 2008/09 STI - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 wrx265 vs 2008/09 STI

My Ride
    a tank

Default 2009 wrx265 vs 2008/09 STI

Is there much to talk about anyways?
    Has this topic been discussed or beaten to death?

after following thru plenty of post on iclub and nasioc here is a quick glance of some of the numbers I found posted.

wrxs265
    stock + SPT Catback
    230 whp
    238 wtq

08+ STI (accodring to HM)
    230 whp
    240 wtq

08+ STI with HM turboback
    236 whp
    243 wtq

08+ STI (3 week old dyno from another post)
    225 whp
    235 wtq

STAGE 2 comparison

wrx 265 (stage 2 tune with SPT exhust and downpipe on 92 (dyno))
    281 whp
    317 wtq

08 STI (stage 2 protune with HM turboback on 91 (dyno))
    269 whp
    297 wtq

though HM suggested their protune stage 2 should be
    (91 octane)
    270 whp
    300 wtq
    (93 octane)
    280 whp
    310 wtq

now from these results you can only have to say that the current 2009 wrx265 is indeed underrated. Not only that, the 265 probablly output wise is the same as the current STI. Unfortunately Subaru probably did this in hopes that it will not cut into STI sales which I think it already has.

the STI is still worth every penny you pay for and if you put both cars on the track, you will see the difference. But for STI owners, it sure feels like a kick in the face until Subaru comes out with a better and higher power STI. From one article hinted the release of the new wrx numbers it also mention the STI in 2010 will get a very small bump in hp/tq. Still, Until the STI gets at least 350hp/375 tq increase, the STI will continue to be bullied and crushed by all media.

I know the question is not if Subaru will update its STI performence, but is when they will do it. And for my own record, as long as they do it in 2011-2012. I will be happy. The last thing I want is to have the same feeling as the 08 wrx owners when the 09 came out.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Audi

The STI is $5000 more then the WRX265 - uglyness aside, for the money, I still think the hardware that comes with the STI is worth it.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

So out of all you posted, where's the stats about going around corners?

If all you're looking at is power, get a 5.0 Mustang
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

So what if the power is comparable? The STI has HID, widebody, different suspension, and a bunch of other goodies and that makes up for the price difference.

I'd pay $5000 just for the extra gear.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    So what if the power is comparable? The STI has HID, widebody, different suspension, and a bunch of other goodies and that makes up for the price difference.
    Yeah without the fender flares of the STI the WRX looks pretty econobox and boring and you don't get the better brakes, suspension, HID's, 6-speed, etc. Do your homework though as at least nine people on NASIOC have purchased 09's and had the engines fail in less than 2000 miles. Subaru changed manufacturing processes to cut costs on 08's which led to the stop sell/recall on some 08 2.5 turbos in the WRX and Legacy GT's. It appears there are still some issues with the 09's. It's something to do with bearings.

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah without the fender flares of the STI the WRX looks pretty econobox and boring and you don't get the better brakes, suspension, HID's, 6-speed, etc. Do your homework though as at least nine people on NASIOC have purchased 09's and had the engines fail in less than 2000 miles. Subaru changed manufacturing processes to cut costs on 08's which led to the stop sell/recall on some 08 2.5 turbos in the WRX and Legacy GT's. It appears there are still some issues with the 09's. It's something to do with bearings.
    you said the 9 ppl who puchased 09, are these the 09 wrx265 or STI or both variants?
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    a tank

Yes, and I completely love the STI and its offering, I need no convincing of what the STI is worth, this comparison is mainly to show how far the wrx has came to be.

And this with type of straight line performence, it has once again became a symbol of AWD performence at an affordable price.

At calgary's altitude, the wrx can keep up just about any car day to day. Of course on a track it may be a different story.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

yeah i would pay $5k for all the extra stuff on the STi too. but no doubt the lease/finance rates would play into my decision. i'm sure the rates are much lower on the wrx265 than STi

btw, how's your new ride? break it in yet?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by SilverRex

you said the 9 ppl who puchased 09, are these the 09 wrx265 or STI or both variants?
    The STI had some ring land issues in 08 but that was due to a bad factory tune and some issues with 2nd gear popping out (requires complete new transmission as per Car & Driver; http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d_test_update. The Bearing issues have affected WRX, Legacy, Outback (basically any Subaru with the 2.5 turbo excluding the STI).

I own an 08 WRX, and I was hella pissed when they announced the 09's stats. I have a CBE and ill get an access port eventually so similar HP/TQ isnt that hard to achieve. The STI's are sick though, and are definitely worth the extra $$$. They have DCCD, Brembos, SI Drive etc...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: 2009 wrx265 vs 2008/09 STI

Originally posted by SilverRex

I know the question is not if Subaru will update its STI performence, but is when they will do it. And for my own record, as long as they do it in 2011-2012. I will be happy. The last thing I want is to have the same feeling as the 08 wrx owners when the 09 came out.
    Subaru has the habit of making some big changes every two years. The STI is due for something major.

I am waiting for a DSG gearbox.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: 2009 wrx265 vs 2008/09 STI

Originally posted by benyl

Subaru has the habit of making some big changes every two years. The STI is due for something major.

I am waiting for a DSG gearbox.
    As long as they offer a 6 speed manual alongside the DSG that would be cool with me. Subaru seems to be a smart company though that understands about catering to their base.

My Ride
    Ram

sti handles better than the wrx...

Originally posted by Sorath
    sti handles better than the wrx...
    The new STI has terrible body roll. And it's either put on some weight or has some super drivetrain loss because it's very sluggish too.

I was scared to push it around corners when I test drove one - it's supposed to hold decent lateral G's but with all the body roll it's tough to know where the limit is. Steering felt quite disconnected and I expected more from the Brembos.

I would hold off on buying one until I see what changes Subaru has in store for the STI. I was quite disappointed with this year's offerings.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yup. So was Car and Driver.

Subaru went the same way BMW did with the M3. They just took it too far. They should have gone the same way as the C63.

The STI is no longer the boy racer. They are trying to attract a more mature audience.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

The new STI has terrible body roll. And it's either put on some weight or has some super drivetrain loss because it's very sluggish too.

I was scared to push it around corners when I test drove one - it's supposed to hold decent lateral G's but with all the body roll it's tough to know where the limit is. Steering felt quite disconnected and I expected more from the Brembos.

I would hold off on buying one until I see what changes Subaru has in store for the STI. I was quite disappointed with this year's offerings.
    But body roll can be alleviated if not completely cured for around $750. Thicker sway bars, strut tower braces and some stiffer springs.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by 94boosted

But body roll can be alleviated if not completely cured for around $750. Thicker sway bars, strut tower braces and some stiffer springs.
    Yeah, but a properly engineered car shouldn't need that shit from the factory. The whole point of buying a car with a big wing and a big hood scoop is that it's supposed to be awesome right out of the factory.

And by the way, $750 for all the parts you listed would get you some pretty shitty gear. Not to mention that stiffer springs shouldn't be paired with the stock shocks, and stiffer sway bars have inherent disadvantages as well. And strut tower bars do nothing for body roll, and on with a chassis as stiff as the STI's, it wouldn't help much of anything else either.

See, people like you are why people like richardchan thinks that modding is ghetto - because you people always use cheap ass parts and never seem to do it properly.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by benyl
    The STI is no longer the boy racer. They are trying to attract a more mature audience.
    Yeah but when they were boy racer people poo-poo'ed them for being boy racer. Now that Subaru (and Mitsubishi to a lesser extent) have softened the cars up a bit all the fanboys are in an uproar. You really can't win but the key is to know your audience and play to them. Really how many BMW owners are going to be swayed to get an STI or EVO X?

My Ride
    Xj

I test drove a wrx back in 2002, back then I thought it pulled less than my Eagle Talon Tsi, evend though it had some odd 30 more horsepower. Last week I test drove a 08 or 09 (not sure) Wrx 265 and I was really amazed at how much it pulled in 1,2,3rd gear, then after 100km/h it kind of became normal. Amazing what more or less 40 hp can do to a car.
    Imo the interior is nice, but the exterior does'nt do it for me.. the hatchback is the nicest I think over the sedan but we're far from the Gc chassis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast