Quantcast
GM Removes $2 Billion From Loan Request - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: GM Removes $2 Billion From Loan Request

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Default GM Removes $2 Billion From Loan Request

As GM Canada announced last night, the members of the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) union have ratified a new competitive agreement with GM Canada (GMCL), which is vital to the continued transformation of the Canadian operations. The agreement between GMCL and the CAW will quickly reduce costs in Canada by significantly closing the competitive gap with U.S. transplant automakers on active employee labor costs and substantially reducing GMCL's legacy costs by introducing cash contributions for health benefits, increasing employee health care cost sharing, freezing pension benefits and removing hourly pension cost of living adjustments.

In addition, GMCL and the CAW will work together with the Canadian government to explore the possibilities of adopting a similar approach to the GM UAW VEBA in the U.S. GM is also continuing its negotiations with the Canadian and Ontario governments for support for the Canadian operations during this unprecedented industry downturn.

In the U.S., GM has also indicated they have advised the Presidential Task Force on The Auto Industry that the $2 billion of funding previously requested for March would not be needed at this time. This development reflects the acceleration of GM's company-wide cost reduction efforts as well as pro-active deferrals of spending previously anticipated in January and February. GM will remain in regular contact with the Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry on the status of GM's restructuring actions, its liquidity position, timing of future funding requests, and other relevant topics of mutual concern.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/g...t-doesnt-need/

In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

lol, good they shouldnt have even asked for it in the first place
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Good for them, actually actively working on improving their business model.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well, you gotta throw government a bone after the union caved.

Something I found.....

A Japanese company (Toyota?) and an American company (General Motors?) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, and extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

The End

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by Xtrema

Something I found.....

lmao

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

haha thats funny

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

That's golden

And props to GM, it's about time they did this

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

They don't need the $2 Billion now, but they need $16.6 Billion later on. Nothing but a PR move.

GM still needs the money, just not as quickly as anticipated, a company spokeswoman said Thursday. The auto maker is working to get up to $16.6 billion in additional loans, which includes a cash infusion of $2.6 billion in April.
    http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...8_FORTUNE5.htm
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Nothing

Default Fuck!

Fuck I hate GM! And everyone on this site!
    HOOOOOObanger!!!!

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Default Re: Fuck!

Originally posted by civicluva
    Fuck I hate GM! And everyone on this site!
    Shutup Lorenzo