Quantcast
Cuba vs. Mexico - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cuba vs. Mexico

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Cuba vs. Mexico

So we're looking at going away next spring and the original thought was to Cuba but we keep hearing stories about how bad the food is and some of the AI resorts are a bit lacking. This has caused us to maybe consider a different location. I'm looking to hear from people who have been to both Cuba and Mexico. Which did you like better? Why?

TIA
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I've been to mexico 4 times and Cuba once (Holguin) and I would go back to Cuba in a second over Mexico.

My Ride

Originally posted by syeve
    I've been to mexico 4 times and Cuba once (Holguin) and I would go back to Cuba in a second over Mexico.
    Okay, why?

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Sorry, should have explained a little more...

Cuba is without a doubt quieter, I went with a gf and we had a great time, the beaches were the nicest I have ever seen and the food wasn't bad at all, we mostly ate fruit, pasta and breads.

The biggest difference I found was the people, Cubans are the nicest freakin people around. I never got the feeling they were slimy or just looking for a tip (you will find this in Mexico, everyone if trying to sell you something) Everyone from the front desk people to the people serving drinks on the beach were awesome.

I found Mexico to be so american, cheesy bars, fake mexican restraunts, dirty...you get the point.

I should ask, who are you going with? If you're going with 10 dudes to go be retarded then I would suggest Mexico (Cancun). The last time I went there I went with buddies and it was good times. If you are going with a girl or a group of couples, I would vote Cuba (Holguin). Wicked day trips, snorkeling right off your beach, fishing, sailing etc.

My Ride

It would be my wife and another couple.

It's funny you mention the food thing. A lot of the reviews I've read have said that the food was quite a let down. May I ask what resort you stayed at?

Where is Holguin? Varedaro seems to be the place of choice.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

www.tripadvisor.com is your best friend when booking a trip. You get traveller reviews and actual photos taken by travellers. Not these fluffed ones the hotel puts out.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Holguin is on the north east part, the city holguin is about 30 minutes from the coast (where all the hotels are). I stayed at the Grand playa turquesa. Review are here - http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-25...dTsJoCPs7iphQB

(remember, people go on to the internet to complain )

When I went we went to a few other hotels to walk around, and we liked ours the best. I can't remember what we paid though, it was ~1100 each but it's a 4 star and defn a step up from the other hotels in the area. Lots of pictures or online too if you search for Holguin.

Oh yah, the city tour was so cool. I went into an electronics store and they were selling toasters for $250USD...well, not that awesome I guess, but pretty cool.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...eyre_Cuba.html

Here it is on Trip advisor.

I would wait for more reviews on here before booking something. I'm sure there are dozens of wicked places to go in Cuba and Mexico. I sound like a travel agent, I'm selling this place too hard

My Ride
    Porsche 911sc

We go to Cuba at least once a year.... Yes the food at the resorts isnt as good as Mexico but the people, culture, music etc make up for it.

My Ride

Originally posted by 911sc
    We go to Cuba at least once a year.... Yes the food at the resorts isnt as good as Mexico but the people, culture, music etc make up for it.
    Do you return to the same resort? Same part of the country?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I'll let you know about Holguin. I'm going there tomorrow!

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    94 SR20DET 180sx

Originally posted by syeve
    The biggest difference I found was the people, Cubans are the nicest freakin people around. I never got the feeling they were slimy or just looking for a tip (you will find this in Mexico, everyone if trying to sell you something) Everyone from the front desk people to the people serving drinks on the beach were awesome.

I found Mexico to be so american, cheesy bars, fake mexican restraunts, dirty...you get the point.
    I just got back from Mexico lke a month ago and I cant agree more with syeve about how everyone is trying to sell you something even when your walking on the beach there is ppl harrassing you to buy stuff from them, and also agree with how it is cheesy bars, and most of all DIRTY, the most annoying thing tho is the people trying to sell you stuff, yoou say no and they insist on bugging you and bugging you then they finally leave then you have another one right after them bugging you to buy something

91 Skyline GTR(Sold)
    93 RB20DET Powered DropTop 240sx(Sold)
    86 RX-7 GXL(Sold)
    99 Dodge Dakota
    91 Honda Civic(Sold)
    90 Honda Crx Si(Parted out)
    95 Honda Civic(Sold)
    99 B16 Honda Civic Si Coupe(Sold)
    94 SR20DET 180sx

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I guess it depends on where you go. I go to Mexico every year but don't stay inside the cities..always outside. It's like any place if you hang out in the tourist area you get what you get. Do some online research. Most people never experience the best parts of Mexico.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride

I did a bunch of reading on tripadvisor.com and found a lot of complaints about the food being quite bad and oddly lots of mosquitoes (sp?).

My Ride
    240sx with SR

It depends where in Mexico, we always stay in Playa Del Carmen, it is what Cancun used to be before everyone found out about it...sadly now Playa is getting that way, were going there in Dec, probably be the last time. Probably keep going further south after towards Tulum next time.

Anywho, we stay at the Royal Real and it has its owned secluded part of the beach where you do not get hassled, the service is above par and great food. Check it out, rarely gets poor reviews on tripadvisor (only rich snobs complain). Good place to relax with the wife, stroll down 5th ave in Playa, and most excursions are within 1hr away.

My Ride
    Porsche 911sc

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Do you return to the same resort? Same part of the country?
    I used to go to Varadero but now we just rent a house in Havana

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Heres where iam off to Monday afternoon....cliff diving (small)in the pool. Check out the pics

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html

Last edited by JordanLotoski; 11-04-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by Beerking
    It depends where in Mexico, we always stay in Playa Del Carmen, it is what Cancun used to be before everyone found out about it...sadly now Playa is getting that way, were going there in Dec, probably be the last time. Probably keep going further south after towards Tulum next time.

Anywho, we stay at the Royal Real and it has its owned secluded part of the beach where you do not get hassled, the service is above par and great food. Check it out, rarely gets poor reviews on tripadvisor (only rich snobs complain). Good place to relax with the wife, stroll down 5th ave in Playa, and most excursions are within 1hr away.

I stayed there about 3 years ago when it was the Grand porto real...Awesome hotel. Though there isnt much beach left

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride

Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
    Heres where iam off to Monday afternoon....cliff diving (small)in the pool. Check out the pics

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html

Holy fawk that pool is amazing!

My Ride
    335i

I've never been to Cuba, but Mexico was really hit and miss. Everytime we dealt with someone, I always got the feeling we were being swindled. For example, we went to a club in Cancun and they said $250 pesos for me, and free for the lady. Okay, around $25CAD for me, that's fine. So its dark as fuck and I swipe, only to find out later that I was charged $250USD for the visit. Had to dispute this with mastercard.

I booked a vehicle online through expedia, but when I went to pick it up it was another $150. Funny, because I already paid months ago, and then the extra charge became "insurance". I refused to accept the, and found some slimeball guy standing in front of the airport who got us a car for a decent deal. When I picked up the car, it was on empty and I ran out of gas as we pulled into the City of Cancun (about 20 mins away from the airport). Finally found a gas station and put gas in, only to find out that the hotel we booked using Hotwire had shut down...so another 2 hours to find a new hotel.

The hotel. We booked online and checked in alright. Got the room and it was fantastic. A nice open concept hotel with good service. On checkout, the guy tells me he needs to swipe my mastercard "for a deposit." I explain that we already paid before checking in, and he says if thats the case it'll be promptly refunded. A month goes by and we haven't seen anything. I call the hotel and they want me to send my banking info, credit card info, and a scan of my statement. Fuck that. Another dispute with mastercard solves this.

Other stupid things: No matter where you go, they'll try to rip you off. The worst are the beach vendors. They'll pull you in, saying that they have $2 Sol beers. You order 2 or 3, and the bill comes to $15. You ask why, and they stutter up some excuse about having to charge for sitting on the beach chairs. You walk in the hotel zone, and there are guys chasing you up and down to sell you stupid shit like event tickets or drawings or bracelets.

Once I got out of Cancun and into Playa Del Carmen (where we ended up spending 3/5 days), we had a blast. It's more traditional, less commercialized, and MUCH better beaches!

In short, go to Cuba. The food may not compare but everyone I've talked to has said its the safest and friendliest country in the Western hemisphere.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast