Quantcast
Purchasing an EVO 9 - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing an EVO 9

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Man you tell me not to take out a loan and then you post up pictures like that... Jeez, the old bait and switch.
    EvoXs look like dog shit.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by max_boost
    I'm not a Mitsu guy but what's so great about the EVO9? Spend so much money to get that thing here why not just buy a local EVO10 with warranty?
    Lol that's what I said/say

My Ride
    NC1

Or if EVO10 cost too much, get a Ralliart <$30K used.

But hey maybe KRyn likes the cars that have been beaten up and driven hard. j/k please don't hurt me brah.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    has a stick axle

How about a 4G63 engine and a very limited production run. Evo 9's have kept their value extremely well. Also, the Evo 9 even for being an old car is fast!

From C&D Lightning Lap
    77 3:13.5 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION IX MR LL1 11/06

To be honest, I like my cars like I like my women... Already broken in with a few miles...
    Hahaha

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Originally posted by KRyn

Congratulations on the purchase! May I ask what you paid? If you don't want it to be public knowledge you can PM me.
    I have a couple of questions regarding the actual importation of the Evo. What does Mitsubishi charge for a recall letter? Also what is the total fees you will inccur making the car legal here in Alberta? 94boosted and I have / are developing a flow chart with accompanied costs but having never done this I am sure we are missing some stuff.
    I'd rather not say in case it gets back to my wife! Let's just say it could have put me into a 09-10 STi or an EVO X for the same dollars...

I have a quick little spreadsheet that i complete for all of my US import prospects.....enter the purchase price (in US funds), current exchange rate, include the duty of 6.1% ( if required), GST, flight price, hotel, gas, OOP inspection, RIV fee, recall letter fee and then.....any possible $$ required to pump into the car to pass an OOP. it does all add up in a hurry, and for a car that requires the duty charge of 6.1%, it's pretty safe that you'll end up spending around 16-18% ontop of the original purchase price by the time it's landed. The nice part is our dollar is right on par (or close to) right now if it's any consolation.....

if you PM me an email address, i can send it your way....

About the recall letter, just a dealer SIS printout will suffice - no need to pay Mitsu $150 for a letter...printout worked for me on the last evo I imported....

I'm really excited about getting back into an EVO again.....flying down march 15....We can probably arrange a ride along once it gets here.....

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by 4WARNED

I'm really excited about getting back into an EVO again.....flying down march 15....We can probably arrange a ride along once it gets here.....
    I'll hold you to this!

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

How about a 4G63 engine and a very limited production run. Evo 9's have kept their value extremely well. Also, the Evo 9 even for being an old car is fast!

IMO, not good reasons to buy a car, especially when you consider it will involve taking on a line of credit to get it. Hell, if you're going to buy a vehicle that keeps its value well, buy a Civic.

Also, since when are 2005-2007 cars old?
    Last edited by Gibson; 01-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.

My Ride
    party car

Originally posted by Gibson

IMO, not good reasons to buy a car, especially when you consider it will involve taking on a line of credit to get it. Hell, if you're going to buy that keeps its value well, buy a Civic.

The way I see it is this, in Canada.. any pre-evoX's are rare... Evo X's are common and a regular sight (I see at least one on my commute to work), but seeing an Evo IX and below is a rarity and a joy to see on the roads here in Canada...That fact alone is enough for some people. Some people like the fact that it's hard to attain an Evo, others like the uniqueness of the car.. not many people will ascertain that the car is a 2.0L turbo AWD beast (actually, most un-educated folks think that my lowly lancer is the evo)

It'll be a while yet until I can even fathom the thought of getting one of my own, but I hope that one day I can..
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by Gibson

IMO, not good reasons to buy a car, especially when you consider it will involve taking on a line of credit to get it. Hell, if you're going to buy that keeps its value well, buy a Civic.

I can automatically tell we do not share the same passion for automobiles. Since when have Civics been fun to drive haha? Life is too short not to enjoy it and what you want. Every time I get into my buddies 400 awhp STI I get a giant grin on my face that lasts even after I exit the vehicle! Taking out a $10,000 line of credit to purchase an automobile doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It will enable me to own one of my favorite cars ever and help build my credit rating. Also I will have said line of credit paid off in a year or less likely. I am young and have few responsibilities at the moment (no mortgage, no student debt, no children) I figure I owe it to my self! Also I am stimulating the economy!

Cars from 2005-2007 are old since they no longer have warranty and are 7 - 5 years old?

Also it looks like you are a photographer! Why do you need to spend thousands of dollars on cameras, lenses and equipment when a $150.00 point and shoot camera does the exact same thing? You choose to spend (or waste, depending on how you look at it) your money on cameras / photography (unless this is how you earn your income) while I (and many other beyond.ca members) choose to spend ours on cars. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by KRyn; 01-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

Originally posted by reiRei

The way I see it is this, in Canada.. any pre-evoX's are rare... Evo X's are common and a regular sight (I see at least one on my commute to work), but seeing an Evo IX and below is a rarity and a joy to see on the roads here in Canada...That fact alone is enough for some people. Some people like the fact that it's hard to attain an Evo, others like the uniqueness of the car.. not many people will ascertain that the car is a 2.0L turbo AWD beast (actually, most un-educated folks think that my lowly lancer is the evo)

It'll be a while yet until I can even fathom the thought of getting one of my own, but I hope that one day I can..
    'Tis a good point, this. I do enjoy seeing rare cars on the road being driven rather than locked away in a garage. I like Evos too, I've always had a soft spot for them.

I can automatically tell we do not share the same passion for automobiles. Since when have Civics been fun to drive haha? Life is too short not to enjoy it and what you want. Every time I get into my buddies 400 awhp STI I get a giant grin on my face that lasts even after I exit the vehicle! Taking out a $10,000 line of credit to purchase an automobile doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It will enable me to own one of my favorite cars ever and help build my credit rating. Also I will have said line of credit paid off in a year or less likely. I am young and have few responsibilities at the moment (no mortgage, no student debt, no children) I figure I owe it to my self! Also I am stimulating the economy!

Cars from 2005-2007 are old since they no longer have warranty and are 7 - 5 years old?

Also it looks like you are a photographer! Why do you need to spend thousands of dollars on cameras, lenses and equipment when a $150.00 point and shoot camera does the exact same thing? You choose to spend (or waste, depending on how you look at it) your money on cameras / photography (unless this is how you earn your income) while I (and many other beyond.ca members) choose to spend ours on cars. Different strokes for different folks.
    These are good points, however, I feel like I should explain myself a little more.

On the topic of the Civic, I agree that (the new ones anyway) probably aren't the most hilariously fun cars to drive, but I was trying to say that buying an EVO because it keeps its value well isn't a good enough justification IMO.

As for car passion, well, I know all about sacrificing money to own a dream car. I understand that if you truly love a car, you would live in a cheap place, work long hours and spend a lot of time and money on the vehicle. I've thought about it money times. But I also keep a close eye on my finances too. I'm going through the same argument with myself about another Skyline, but I would be buying it outright.

I came to the conclusion long ago that I would never owe money on a car simply because you end up paying way more for it at the end of the day. But if you can pay off a $10,000 LOC in a year than clearly you're doing better than I am haha, so that obviously doesn't apply to you.

I'm just reaffirming what a few people have said about paying a whole bunch of money for a rare, very picky and expensive car to maintain. Is this going to be your daily?

Also, I'm a photographer by trade, I need that gear to pay my bills. And the old cars, I was just thinking it would be nice to think 05-07 cars are old, because that's basically brand new to me haha.

TLDR: If you can afford it, go for it. If you're looking at your checkbook a bit skeptically, maybe hold off for a bit. And as someone else said, if you do go through with it, keep a significant cash buffer around for repairs.
    Last edited by Gibson; 01-27-2012 at 11:22 AM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

You raise some very valid and quality points. I am heading off to the bank at lunch to get a better idea of how much I can borrow and at what rates. This (along with getting employee status at work) will really help me determine when I will be purchasing an Evo. Obviously I don't want to take out a HUGE line of credit to own a vehicle. I think anythig more than $15,000 is just to much for me as I am also trying to save for my own property.

We shall see, as max_boost and your self mention I don't want to be 'car broke' or paying 20% on $15,000! If my stars do align and work continues to go well and I can get a decent interest rate I will hopefully own an Evo come June or July of this year. If not some time in the near future for sure.

As for winter driving / daily driving any Evo I own.... I am not sure and this is something I am still pondering. Obviously it is a very capable car in winter... But at the same time driving anything here at any point in time is a risk haha!

My Ride

As usual, hit the nail on the head....it's hard to describe what about the EVO VIII's/IX's keeps coming me back but this post nearly covered all the based....

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I want to badge my Evo with the decals that came on the old Ralli Arts we received... The FWD non turbo models, so people think I just put a body kit and giant wing on it haha. This is of course until they hear my turbo spool and I peel out!
    Last edited by KRyn; 01-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.

My Ride

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

With the $$ at par, this could get home for less than $30K...
    appears stock but no engine bay pic to verify......

My Ride
    2006 Lancer Evolution IX

Whoa quite the active thread lol!!

Glad to see our cars are becoming a bit more common!

So who's buying evo's and when? I wanna have a evo 8/9/X meet this summer sometime!

I just bought a crap load of stuff for my car over winter. I got more coming too, pretty excited!

My Ride

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp...emNumber=31951

I don't normally condone this but who knows...this could become a good purchase....06 IX SSL WW.....the smoke though....hmm.....

My Ride

Originally posted by Go_Lancer_Go
    Whoa quite the active thread lol!!

Glad to see our cars are becoming a bit more common!

So who's buying evo's and when? I wanna have a evo 8/9/X meet this summer sometime!

I just bought a crap load of stuff for my car over winter. I got more coming too, pretty excited!
    Terry right?

The thread isn't really active....just me adding a reply every second day...

I got mine....it's coming here in march. 06 AS MR SE with 22k miles....

Third times a charm (previously 03 WW GSR and 04 AS SSL)

My Ride
    Ram

never go into debt for a car, unless its a neccessity.

life lesson #1

^^^truth
    my Evo8 i put on my line of credit.
    my insurance for a clean record of a 19yr old male was 600$ with full coverage.
    couple speeding tickets later my insurance was 800$ a month...
    with the problems i was having with it from bad mechanics and paying insurance i could no longer pay off the car. so i sold it for what i could.
    next Evo 9 will be bought cash in hand. no debt, no worries, no problems

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

600/month? Something is wrong already. You have a DUI?!
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast