Race City’s operation of Secret Streets
    entailed several hundred cars on some
    evenings – RMP’s proposed Secret Streets
    will operate very di
    ff
    erently with a
    maximum of 100 vehicles or less.
    Well done rebuttals though to address all of the issues
    Last edited by schocker; 08-19-2014 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I thought it sounded a bit adversarial at some points but does address each point. I would be interested to see an expected cash flow statement. Has this group mentioned that the facility will be open in the winter?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Any word on where they are on the public readings and approval process?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by schocker
    boooooooooooo

Race City’s operation of Secret Streets
    entailed several hundred cars on some
    evenings – RMP’s proposed Secret Streets
    will operate very differently with a
    maximum of 100 vehicles or less.
    Well done rebuttals though to address all of the issues
    So the issues everyone continues to complain about (street racing, lack of a similar to 'Race City' type of venue) will continue to be a problem as this racing facility is quite up front in that they won't be another Race City. No real drag strip and not a place where the average joe can go and race. People will have to continue to drive 100 miles+ to get to racing venues that offered what Race City did (decent drag, oval and a road course that wasn't elitist at all) or just do it on the streets or just keep that project on hold a few more years.

Disappointing - yes, but not unexpected. Really, it seems quite amazing that a more publicly accessible auto racing venue hasn't surfaced in the Calgary area since Race City's demise and especially so considering that there was always such a facility (Calgary International, Circle 8, Stampede) even before Race City was around. Maybe the demand just isn't there for such a facility in the Calgary area any more, who knows? Maybe something like Rockyview Motorsports Park is all Calgary's racing scene really needs now although I suspect that's not really the case.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by speedog
    Maybe something like Rockyview Motorsports Park is all Calgary's racing scene really wants to finacially support now although I suspect that's not really the case.
    Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    it has wheels???

The people behind this project are not involved in it to bleed money. This facility will need to make revenue just like any other business, and plans to do so by renting the facility to various user groups (just like any hockey arena) if "averages Joe's" where to organize themselves into user group or join an existing one they could use the facilities. There are many motorsports facilities world wide that operate with a membership base yet offer large portions of track time to non members and user groups.
    "Could you please turn down your car"- Ben

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Roaring G60
    The people behind this project are not involved in it to bleed money. This facility will need to make revenue just like any other business, and plans to do so by renting the facility to various user groups (just like any hockey arena) if "averages Joe's" where to organize themselves into user group or join an existing one they could use the facilities. There are many motorsports facilities world wide that operate with a membership base yet offer large portions of track time to non members and user groups.
    Exactly. This would be no different than the track days that Speedtech, Revworks, Garage Box or any other groups/shops ran at Racecity.

Everyone attending pitches in a couple hundred bucks and they race all day.

So I'll go back to some of the more basic stuff - a drag strip, an oval or a road course that anyone could come out and use providing they met the minimum requirements that the track sets out. RMP appears to not be interested this market and as such, is there still such a market in the Calgary area? I'm not talking about track days or such but regularly scheduled racing like Race City used to do on all on their three main venues - events where you could show up with your car, pay the required entrance fees and race.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    it has wheels???

If you look at the trend amongst motorsports facilities in North America is that the operators of the tracks are not willing to risk sinking money into promotion and organization of events and are more prone to rent it to promoters/race associations/user groups as there is less risk fiscally and legally.

So I'll go back to some of the more basic stuff - a drag strip, an oval or a road course that anyone could come out and use providing they met the minimum requirements that the track sets out. RMP appears to not be interested this market and as such, is there still such a market in the Calgary area? I'm not talking about track days or such but regularly scheduled racing like Race City used to do on all on their three main venues - events where you could show up with your car, pay the required entrance fees and race.
    "Could you please turn down your car"- Ben

I'd like to be positive about this development but after reading their financial forecast I'm hovering around 10% confidence and dropping.

Total budget = 6million+
    kart revenues 7% = $420k (knowing that CKRC will have their own track)
    Membership dues 8% = $480k (isn't this kind of low considering this is a Tilke designed track built for Calgary's wealthiest car owners?)
    Secret Street 3% = $180k (did Race City even make this much? Now take away paying spectators?)

I'm not going to think about this anymore.

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by e31
    I'd like to be positive about this development but after reading their financial forecast I'm hovering around 10% confidence and dropping.

Total budget = 6million+
    Membership dues 8% = $480k (isn't this kind of low considering this is a Tilke designed track built for Calgary's wealthiest car owners?)
    Secret Street 3% = $180k (did Race City even make this much? Now take away paying spectators?)

I'm not going to think about this anymore.
    Ninja Edit. I should learn to read.... Ill go back to lurking now.
    Last edited by jacky4566; 08-20-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Originally posted by e31
    That's not a for sure thing either. But either way it's not going to climb revenues much.

People say they complain about the noise but I've been to Nurburgring and in the town, you can hear the slight noise of motorsports but really it'll be at limited times in Alberta, summer only and probably shuts down before 11pm.

Originally posted by mr2mike

That's not a for sure thing either. But either way it's not going to climb revenues much.

People say they complain about the noise but I've been to Nurburgring and in the town, you can hear the slight noise of motorsports but really it'll be at limited times in Alberta, summer only and probably shuts down before 11pm.
    My guess would be that the track will operate as close to year round as it can, and not be limited to summer operations. Also I see 9 pm as the latest the facility would run

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

HardNoX Track Dayz

Well folks the decision is in. Rockyview Motorsports Park was denied their application. So the development will not go ahead at its proposed location. Stayed tuned for updates
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

In the news this morning, rejected by the MD - MD suggested either completely different piece of land or pretty much submit a new plan for existing site. Lots of people probably wweren'teren't expecting this.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Saw an article last night on how CPS was saying the track was a good idea, and somehow I thought it had a chance.

edit - news article on the rejection.

http://www.newstalk770.com/2015/01/2...k-red-flagged/

Plans to build a motorsports park northeast of Airdrie has been given a red light by Rocky View County Council.

Following 10 hours of public debate, council unanimously rejected the project which included a 640-acre race course, a karting facility, driver training centre and other automotive-related services.

Councillors said despite a number of points in favour, the project was unsuitable for an area designated for ranch and farm use. The track was considered a commercial development.

Rockyview Motorsports Corporation has been told if it wants to go ahead it needs to look at other appropriately-zoned sites or alter and resubmit the application for the current site.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is broken

44 letters of support were received.
    67 opposition letters were from landowners that lived within an 8 mile radius of the proposal
    A petition, not recognized under the Municipal Government Act, in opposition of the proposal was submitted with 166 signature.
    And the Planning staff for the MD recommended denying it because of its location.

I don't think it had much chance.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Shit, that's awful. They put a ton of work and money into this and to have it denied because they don't want to lose a handful of acres of agricultural land to motorsport is terrible. Hopefully they can make a different land parcel work.

My Ride
    is broken

Yea the biggest problem was it was not located within a designated commercial area.
    Take a look at the County Plan Page 26.

IMO it should be on the east side by the power station or near Chestermere area.

As much as I want to give them my support they picked a shitty location. Most likely because it was cheap.

Lots of people probably weren't expecting this.
    I dunno about that. The location was suspect from the start, opposition was strong and RMP didn't have a whole lot of rebuttals.

Hopefully they find a better piece of land and are more prepared before bringing this into the public eye. Making a spectacle of it early on may have attracted more potential investors but it also likely put it in the crosshairs of a lot of NIMBYs.
    Originally posted by 94boosted
    This is terrible, hopefully the guys behind this don't get discouraged and have the funds to find a new location.
    If you recall, they didn't really have the funds for the first location. They were crowd-sourcing capital.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast