Quantcast
Fiat 500 Abarth - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiat 500 Abarth

My Ride
    SJ9

Default Fiat 500 Abarth

I'm pretty much at wit's end trying to figure out my next small car purchase and a co-worker suggested that I try out the Fiat 500 Abarth. Does anyone here have one ? How are they on reliability and depreciation ? Are they easily tuned ?

I'm booked in for a test drive at the dealership on Thursday but would like to see what other Beyonder's think about the car.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I have been watching these as well since spring. As far as i know the only two at dealerships in alberta, are in edmonton. Was going to go look at them tomorrow, but if not, you should post up your impressions of them.

My Ride
    SJ9

I'm taking a look at the black one at Derrick Dodge on Thursday, where's the other one at ? Were they only a limited edition run for Canada like the Golf-R ?

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

The other one is a grey one at capitol chrysler. And I am guessing its because they are either in high demand, or they take a while to make after the orders are in. Which is kinda funny, cause i think these ones are just the demo cars that took months to get in.

I havent heard about them being limited production, like the R's, and our neighbors to the south have been getting them for a couple years already i believe.

I have driven a Fiat 500 as a rental car (not Abarth).

Good car, it has more storage capacity than you would think. When I was driving it I hit a small bump in the road and my 4-way flashers came on and would not turn off, even if I turned the car off. I tried rummaging around under the hood and under the dash and could not get them to turn off (it was pitch black out... so this didn't help).

I drove back home and they eventually turned off on the way home, but then came back on again.

I took some of the panels off to get at the relay/fuse box below the steering wheel and found that one relay seemed to be loose. I just pushed everything back in rather hard and it didn't happen again.

Hopefully you don't like doing your own maintenance/work on your vehicle as that engine bay is EXTREMELY tight.

I would love to try the Abarth, the regular 500 with an auto was by no means slow... so I imagine a manual with a turbo would be quite quick.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    When I was driving it I hit a small bump in the road and my 4-way flashers came on and would not turn off, even if I turned the car off. I tried rummaging around under the hood and under the dash and could not get them to turn off (it was pitch black out... so this didn't help).

I drove back home and they eventually turned off on the way home, but then came back on again.

I took some of the panels off to get at the relay/fuse box below the steering wheel and found that one relay seemed to be loose. I just pushed everything back in rather hard and it didn't happen again.

Hopefully you don't like doing your own maintenance/work on your vehicle as that engine bay is EXTREMELY tight.

Ah, sounds like a true Fiat

My Ride
    Exploded.

I was sold on this car until you mentioned this.

I think it looks/sounds great and way better value than a Mini Cooper S.

I still think it's a sweet buy!

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Do they let you test drive the girl from the abarth commercial too?

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Originally posted by flipstah

I was sold on this car until you mentioned this.

I think it looks/sounds great and way better value than a Mini Cooper S.

I still think it's a sweet buy!
    Maybe it's not THAT horrible... I mean the new Civic SI also has a pretty tight engine bay... heres a pic for reference.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Exploded.

Maybe it's not THAT horrible... I mean the new Civic SI also has a pretty tight engine bay... heres a pic for reference.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    That looks painful to get a timing belt changed. Then again, I haven't seen it in person so it's a bit subjective.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

We have two Fiat 500's at my work now for company cars. Both non-abarth models, one just purchased, the other a year old with 16,000kms on it now.

My personal impressions;

The fiat 500 looks good, interior materials feel like a 16,000$ car (lots of hard cheap plastics), which is what they start at, although one of ours came to around $22000 with options. The sport model gets a fake leather and hi-tech cloth combo, which looks nicer then base, but the cloth material stains super easily. The seating position always feels really high, and with a sunroof headroom is terrible even with the seat in lowest position, my hair is brushing the roof (I am 5'10").

The brakes are good for a small car, gas mileage is mediocre for such a small car in the city, we usually average about 8L/100kms. The 6spd auto is actually a pretty good transmission, but I imagine the car would be much more fun with a stick. Cargo room really sucks with the back seats up, you can't fit a whole lot back there, but with the back seats folded flat it is pretty good.

Within the year we have hard ours it has been pretty much problem free aside from the following issues which are going to be covered under warranty; LH door hinge keeps coming loose, heater blower motor makes a bunch of noise, and the armrest on the seat fell apart.
    Last edited by Hash_man; 08-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:42 PM.

When I worked for a car dealership we had a few Mini Coopers on the used lot.... I got to know the service advisors very very well at Mini in Crowfoot since I had to take a car there every week.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Will we be getting the Abarth Esse Esse? Or is that Europe only?

I'd take a 500 Abarth over a mini cooper as those are a dime a dozen and way overpriced

Default Re: Fiat 500 Abarth

Originally posted by Markll7
    I'm pretty much at wit's end trying to figure out my next small car purchase and a co-worker suggested that I try out the Fiat 500 Abarth. Does anyone here have one ? How are they on reliability and depreciation ? Are they easily tuned ?

I must say that you select a gorgeous car. I love small cars and I love this one. The sound of this car make you crazy. Uniquely designed, superb handling and balance. What you want in small cars?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Will we be getting the Abarth Esse Esse? Or is that Europe only?

I'd take a 500 Abarth over a mini cooper as those are a dime a dozen and way overpriced
    From what I've read, the Abarth version for the North American market is the Esse Esse version in Europe.

US Fiat's need more hp to move American fat-asses.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by flipstah

From what I've read, the Abarth version for the North American market is the Esse Esse version in Europe.

US Fiat's need more hp to move American fat-asses.
    I thought that the Esse Esse was above the Abarth sort of like an Abarth with the dial cranked to 11. i.e. what the Cooper JCW is to the Cooper S

knowing fiat's and Alfa Romeo's... really outside of how pretty they can be

why would anyone in their right mind want to buy one?

I have an Alfa Milano and had a GTV and a spider and being an owner is as much heart ache as it is pride with trying to keep these things running

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

I thought that the Esse Esse was above the Abarth sort of like an Abarth with the dial cranked to 11. i.e. what the Cooper JCW is to the Cooper S
    It is - more boost, more goodies.

It's not worth comparing models directly; the American model is almost completely different to the Euro model.

The engine is different, the tune/ECU is different, alignment is different, tires are different, the suspension is different (different spring rates damped by Koni FSDs from the factory thanks to SRT). The exhaust is different, using an SRT-4 style resonator.

Think of it more as a Fiat 500 SRT-4 than the Abarth you may have seen from European sources.

The cool thing about the Abarth (v. the regular 500) is the MultiAir engine; valves are actuated electronically instead of by a camshaft. This means that you get reduced internal losses as well as a ridiculous amount of potential for tuning. I think the Dart has this too; there's no way an SRT Dart isn't on its way.

Chrysler Canada's press release about some of the changes made to the Abarth:
    http://www.chryslercanada.ca/product...ngineering.pdf

Jack Baruth's review of the 500 Abarth, touching briefly on North American changes:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...at-500-abarth/

To make things more confusing they're also coming out with a Fiat 500 Turbo, which is not as good as the Abarth but better than the regular 500.
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 08-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by toastgremlin
    It is - more boost, more goodies.

It's not worth comparing models directly; the American model is almost completely different to the Euro model.

The engine is different, the tune/ECU is different, alignment is different, tires are different, the suspension is different (different spring rates damped by Koni FSDs from the factory thanks to SRT). The exhaust is different, using an SRT-4 style resonator.

Think of it more as a Fiat 500 SRT-4 than the Abarth you may have seen from European sources.

The cool thing about the Abarth (v. the regular 500) is the MultiAir engine; valves are actuated electronically instead of by a camshaft. This means that you get reduced internal losses as well as a ridiculous amount of potential for tuning. I think the Dart has this too; there's no way an SRT Dart isn't on its way.

Chrysler Canada's press release about some of the changes made to the Abarth:
    http://www.chryslercanada.ca/product...ngineering.pdf

Jack Baruth's review of the 500 Abarth, touching briefly on North American changes:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...at-500-abarth/

To make things more confusing they're also coming out with a Fiat 500 Turbo, which is not as good as the Abarth but better than the regular 500.
    According to FIAT Canada, the Abarth model that we have comes 160bhp standard.

The EsseEsse kit adds that punch:

http://abarthcarsuk.com/abarth-cars/...-500-esseesse/

So in essence, our 'Abarth' is their 'Esse Esse'.

EDIT: Oops, didn't fully read the post. Carry on.
    Last edited by flipstah; 08-30-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast