Quantcast
2010 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport Coupe - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport Coupe

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

And an opportunity presented itself for a fantastic deal on some Inverted Adjustable Koni Yellow's to replace my recently swapped in Bilstein Sport's haha I'm finally hoping that the suspension is now complete.

The new Koni's

Side by side

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Latest mod for the Corvette isn’t really even a mod for the Corvette haha it’s more so for my lower back & sanity. Between the loud exhaust, stiff suspension, aggressive alignment and racing seats (that are far from comfortable) coupled with the fact that swapping wheels & tires at auto-x/track is a PITA (made even more so by the fact that I can’t haul all four of my own wheels/tires) I decided it’s time to get a proper tow rig.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Now that the car is out of hibernation it’s time for some long overdue maintenance. Brakes (again), tie rod ends, ball joints, diff fluid, tranny fluid etc. all need to be addressed before the season gets going.

Switched to an EBC Yellow Stuff pads for last season based on the recommendation of others and almost instantly regretted it. These pads are absolute s**t I think I would have been better off using some old iPhones sandwiched between the calipers and rotors instead of these things. They dusted and squealed like a track pad but performed horribly. A few laps into a 20minute session at Castrol and they were begging for mercy, even the stockers were substantially better. Anyways, I decided to try out Hawk HP+’s this year as a last ditch effort. If these still don’t work I’ll have no choice but to go to a dedicated track pad like a Carbotech and swap to stock pads for the little bit of street driving the car sees. The nice thing about the Hawk HP+’s is that they’re available in a one piece pad design instead of the rather silly padlet design from the factory.

I upgraded the front rotors last season and now the rears were due for an upgrade also. In go some slotted Stop Tech’s. They should be far less prone to cracking than the factory cross drilled units.

My Ride
    NB8C

Nice, receiving all those packages must have been exciting!

Hopefully the HP+ work out for you. If not, you could look into something like the Carbotech XP10/XP8 or Cobalt XR3/XR5 next time around as those are pretty streetable.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

txt me for the next June get together and I'll come out with you.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by k1l4m
    Nice, receiving all those packages must have been exciting!

Hopefully the HP+ work out for you. If not, you could look into something like the Carbotech XP10/XP8 or Cobalt XR3/XR5 next time around as those are pretty streetable.
    Haha yah I love getting car parts.

Carbotech will be my next choice for sure.

Originally posted by InRich
    txt me for the next June get together and I'll come out with you.
    Schedule for the SASC Fort Macleod events is posted, I should be there for all of them.

http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Think I just saw you on James Mckevitt towards 22x. Car looks badass man!

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    Think I just saw you on James Mckevitt towards 22x. Car looks badass man!
    Hey, thanks man

I'm really liking these Grand Sports. What are the differences when compared to a Z06 through?

My Ride
    G37X

Wow! I'm really liking the improvements that you're making.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by LOLzilla
    I'm really liking these Grand Sports. What are the differences when compared to a Z06 through?
    Engine.

7 vs 6.2

They're both hand built with dry sumps I believe.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Wow! I'm really liking the improvements that you're making.
    Thanks man

Originally posted by LOLzilla
    Originally posted by Darkane

Engine.

7 vs 6.2

They're both hand built with dry sumps I believe.
    Darkane is right, the big difference is the 7.0L 505HP LS7 in the Z06 and the 6.2L 436HP LS3 in the GS (though both are hand built, forged crank and dry sump unlike the base Corvettes). The other big difference is the frame, the Z06 uses an aluminum frame and the GS a steel one, meaning the Z06 is ~70lbs lighter depending on options & packages. The GS was meant to split the difference between the base Corvette with the Z51pkg and the Z06.

What does that mean in the real world (surprisingly not much lol):

0-60
    Z06 = 3.7sec
    GS = 3.9sec

Lap times (C&D Lightning Lap)
    02:58.2 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 07-Aug
    02:58.5 CHEVROLET CORVETTE GS 10-Feb
    03:01.1 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 06-Nov
    03:01.2 CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51) 08-Nov
    03:03.6 CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51) 07-Aug
    03:09.3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51) 06-Nov

Personally I picked the GS because of the gearing, the GS has lower gearing, 2.97 & 2.07 in first & second vs. 2.66 & 1.78 respectively in the Z06. On a lot of the autocross courses I've found that I'm in the sweet spot of my powerband in 2nd around the majority of the course while they're sort of teeter-tottering around the top of 1st and bottom of 2nd.

Either way you go they are arguably the best performance/$ car you can buy and *knock on wood* incredibly reliable considering the abuse they take.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

In order to be able to run the tires I wanted (Hoosier A7 315/30/18F and 335/30/18R) I needed a custom wheel. Strano Performance recommends Forgestar, a reasonably priced, forged (flow formed) wheel. Going from an 18x9.5 to an 18x11 up front saved me 1.5lbs of weight and going from a 19x12 to an 18x12 out back saved me 4lbs when compared with the factory GS wheels. I'm all about saving weight an unsprung, rotational weight is the best kind

Just a wee bit of poke

My Ride
    Lariat

Looks awesome! Great thread and I can't wait to see more updates!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Mounted the new tires onto the new rims. These Hoosier A7’s should be better for autocross than the Continental Extreme Slicks I ran before which needed a lot of heat to work.

The heat from track days and autocross destroyed the dust boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends so I replaced those. Moog makes some really nice stuff, the quality appears to be equal to or better than the factory stuff and the grease nipples are a welcome addition.

It was also time to go even more aggressive on the alignment and get the car Corner Balanced.

Cross weights dialed in.

3528lbs with a 218lb driver, 40lbs of alignment heads still attached to the wheels and a full tank of gas. Putting it somewhere around 3225lbs as it sits ready to be raced.

Just a wee bit of poke

My Ride
    e92

looks like you have zr1 replica front spiltter and side skirts where did you get them from? i am looking for a set for my z06. pm'd.
    Last edited by nytrydr89; 05-04-2016 at 12:59 PM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Well it was a good year, car is finally starting to get sorted (finished the season well), well minus the brakes, third different setup and still major fade issues every time I track it at Castrol. Going to switch to Carbotech XP8's or G-Loc R8's for the next season and see if that helps, along with a fresh set of DBA 5000 rotors. Managed to get 66 runs on the Hoosier A7's before they corded haha but definitely need to go from a 335/30/18 in the back to a 345/35/18 as it's just too short and I kept running out of 2nd gear. Also upon closer inspection I noticed that my two season old polyurethane CAB's shredded themselves so I guess it's time for some Teflon impregnated Delrin CAB's for next season. Also thinking about adding full aero

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I still enjoy this thread, one of the best on the forum!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Unfortunately nobody makes spoilers for C6 Corvettes that are Street Prepared rules compliant and wings are not allowed in my class. So I thought I'd build my own

To make it more challenging I wanted the spoiler to be 100% reversible (no new holes in the body).

The factory ZR1 spoiler

The mounting locations

Getting the correct shape

The support brackets

My little welding jig

All welded up

Support bracket done

Test fitting to make sure trunk would still close

Test fitting

Cutting the lexan

And all done. Also installed the rear tow hook at the same time.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Spring 17' update

Brakes shot again (2 seasons on rotors and 1 season on pads). This time I'm going with a Carbotech XP8 Pad up front and leaving the Hawk HP+ Pad in the rear. I keep having fading issues at track days, the XP8's operating temps are substantially higher than the Hawk's so I'm hoping this takes care of my fade problems.

The Poly CAB's I installed two seasons ago shredded themselves so I stepped up to a full set of Ride Tech Delrin CAB's pre-impregnated with Teflon. Car feels ever so slightly more responsive now.

Noticed over the winter that one of the factory fluid filled engine mounts has ruptured so I swapped in a set of Polyurethane engine mounts. Didn't go to a full steel mount just because the car would then be even more miserable for the tiny bit of street driving I do.

Also installed a Lingenfelter Clutch stop to stop over extending the clutch springs

And I got me a set of those eco-friendly hypermiling tires Running a 345/35/18 instead of a 335/30/18 in the back so I could get a bit more top speed out of 2nd gear

That booty

Last edited by 94boosted; 06-08-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast