Quantcast
Micropaint review - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Micropaint review

Default Micropaint review

So I haven't found a ton of threads on these guys on Beyond.. so I took a bit of a leap of faith and decided to try them out.

I had a TON of rock chips on my E36's nose and hood. Big ones, that the PO did a pretty nasty job of trying to touch up. My daily driven E36 M3 isn't a garage queen, so a total front end respray was not required. So I decided to take the plunge and give Micropaint on Forge Rd (MPS) a shot.

They are pretty clear in terms of what they can do. Kelly from there reiterated many times to me that it's a "60% solution". I believe this is due to many customers in the past expecting perfection, not getting it, and then getting mad. I, on the other hand, am fine with 60% as that's what I expect to pay for.

My initial quote was about $460 for the front bumper, hood, nose plate, and some PDR. When I went back to book, I was somewhat disappointed that the bumper could not be included at the $460 quote. In the end, there is nothing they can do with the bumper, as with a lot of our ABS bumpers, they have been essentially sandblasted by Deerfoot. So again, managing my expectations, he just explained it was out of the realm of their abilities. So that's OK to me.

In the end, he had a brutal time trying to remove the PO's previous OEM touch up paint (word of advice; don't use touchup paint unless you're very accurate. Otherwise just go here). It ended up taking double the amount of time required, and my car was there for two days. My quote was not inflated because of this, which I appreciated.

In the end, after tax, it came to $500. The job does look like 60%. The rock chips have been filled to approximately half their existing relief, but the colour is dead on. From a few feet away you can't even see them. You really need to scrutinize them in the sun to see the chips. In the end I am really pleased with it, and feel that my expectations were met and my goal of covering up the existing rock chips to protect the body work was met. They put a ton of extra work in, including taking out a nasty dent in my hood. They gave the car a little polish after. I still need to take my PC to it, but it was a nice sentiment.

The other option here is the 100% solution, which is to have a front end respray. I have had quotes all over the map on this. But in the end, it was just an E36 M3. I'd rather put the extra money to sways or something. So it worked out.

So things to take away.. if you have concerns about exposed bodywork, I would definitely go here. I would also completely avoid using touch up paint. It never looks good (especially on extreme colours like red, blue, etc.) and is nearly impossible to remove properly as I found out from the Micropaint guys. I'd say just take your car here once a year. You could probably get in for cheaper than I did given that my car was so much extra work for them.

AND.. it looks good in photos, aka win

IMG_3065

IMG_3080
    Last edited by stefan15; 03-31-2013 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Good Review, I would assume that my bumper is also ABS, which is the only real part of the car which needs a little bit of work, but I appreciate the review. Cheers
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I've used them on a couple of cars and the work was good. They repaired minor damage for a lot less than any other body shop.

My Ride
    CBR 929

So why cant they do the bumper-because of the plastic it is made from? The paint won't adhere or?

[url]

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Thanks for the review. The price seems pretty good, will probably have to hit them up in June after I come back from Edmonton. Truck is getting blasted by rigs up here.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by bignerd
    So why cant they do the bumper-because of the plastic it is made from? The paint won't adhere or?
    I think the process is essentially like Dr.Colorchip, where it basically combines a spreading process to the paint with touchup paint itself. With the bumper, since there's not a ton of available paint, plus even small rocks put chips into the bumper, hence basically sandblasting it, they can't do much about it. Being ABS, the smaller particles just easily chip it due to paint adherence. My theory anyway.

All I really got was "well it's peppered, so we can't do anything about it".

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

That pick looks just like a Dr. Colorchip repair.

It does and doesn't. The relief is better filled than doctor colorchip and more uniform. Also the amount of blotched on touchup paint was unbelievable and had to be rotaried off. But yes, I suspect their chip repair is more or less a similar process combined with a strong rotary detail.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Good review and it looks like these guys do good work.

My Ride
    Trucks

This is the old 'Chippy' auto, these guys are great. Used to be 3 brothers, not sure anymore. I think it was Sean who spot treated sharp dent, top corner cab - 'Arizona beige' metallic truck -warned me it wouldn't be perfect cause of the color/metallic. Got it back - perfect. No way anyone could tell.

Brand new truck, parked in Sobeys lot - someone cranked their door into my door. Dent was where the side impact pillar was in the way. Not sure how they did it, they got it out. Another one was Black pearl metallic - fender spot paint treatment - perfect.

My dad lives in Sask and brought 2 vehicles to them. I've sent friends to them. Everyone can't believe the results, and how much cheaper than full body shop.
    Last edited by RjKaz; 04-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Thanks got a stupid rock chip on my door and was wondering whether I should just buy touch up or find a place.