Quantcast
Shaw Internet Problems BB50 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shaw Internet Problems BB50

My Ride
    Subaru GH

Default Shaw Internet Problems BB50

So I'm looking for some insight from beyonders, the problem is that my internet keeps cutting out, happening on wireless and ethernet. when it cuts out the lights are still normal state. modem has been replaced 3 times, router has been checked also used multiple routers still no go. i've also tried changingn channels as well. I'm using broadband50 with shaw so it comes with an all in 1 modem tried bridging and non bridged. Thing is When it goes down. SHAW CAN'T SEE IT HAPPENING...

My last solution would be to cancel with them.. but telus ADSL is so
    Hopefully you guys have some tips for me.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

My Ride
    Grimace

Is the issue only happening with one computer? I have never had any issues with my modem, but I have mine in bridged with an ASUS router. Sounds like it isn't the modem if they have replaced it 3 times already.

have you had shaw come out and check the lines to your house from their box and inside your house?

My Ride
    Subaru GH

Its happening on everything, cellphones and laptops. i've had 3 Senior techs come over and 2 of them just reset my modem and left... i was like WOW thats not gonna do shit.. i've done it a million times. Last guy attempted something but didn't go down when he was over so he couldn't see it. Well i live i royal oak, he said their box is in ranchlands. Tech said its not the modem as its not flapping. Shaw can't see it when it goes down. I logged my router dropped packets and its related to primary dns. My thought would be ask for new ips

My Ride
    '03 ep3

IPs won't change anything as they will just recycle IPs out of your area's subnet.

Change your primary DNS on the router to 8.8.8.8

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Re: Shaw Internet Problems BB50

Originally posted by Suey
    So I'm looking for some insight from beyonders, the problem is that my internet keeps cutting out, happening on wireless and ethernet. when it cuts out the lights are still normal state. modem has been replaced 3 times, router has been checked also used multiple routers still no go. i've also tried changingn channels as well. I'm using broadband50 with shaw so it comes with an all in 1 modem tried bridging and non bridged. Thing is When it goes down. SHAW CAN'T SEE IT HAPPENING...

My last solution would be to cancel with them.. but telus ADSL is so
    Hopefully you guys have some tips for me.
    Not gonna lie, but this sounds like the classic Shaw problem some of us experience and have since switched IPSs. I had this problem with my Shaw account in Evergreen, and at my parents at Braeside, however had almost no problems when I was downtown. Think its probably bad wireing somewhere. I don't know if this applies to Shaw hardware or not, but back in the day a cheap router would crash as it would fill up the MAC address table, would happen often if you were doing alot of torrenting. Don't know if that could be your issue or not, but figure I thought it out there.

And by the way, there is nothing bad about Telus internet, I switched my parents and myself over to it and its been rock solid.

i had the exact same issue, and Shaw do not see anything wrong with my connections
    replaced everything, and still disconnects
    so i switched to Telus
    my ping is much higher for gaming but at least i no longer random DC

My Ride
    Subaru GH

well one of my family members use telus and theres like 3 connections and it lags bad... i dunno right now im at 75 bucks for bb50 and its not worth it at this point. it used to be solid while back when i first started then like 3 years down the road it blows..

Well i'll definitely try changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and see what happens.
    I really enjoy the low ping in games.. 33ms and so forth, but really i'd take a stable internet over a disconnecting one.

I'll keep you guys posted if theres a fix. The tech told me to unbridge and only use hardwire so i'll see where it takes me.
    Last edited by Suey; 04-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

An unbridge won't fix your issue.

Have Shaw re-provision your modem into Bridged mode so it sends updated firmware to the device.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Don't be afraid to get angry at Shaw and demand a Tier 2 tech to come out your house to do proper diagnosis.

Tier 1 guys coming to your house generally know how to install the modem and setup it up then leave. Its not their job to go in depth to find other related issues,.

My Ride
    is broken

Incase you dont know. SmAcKpOo has asked you to use Google's DNS service. Its only second to Shaws severs because they are local.
    set the secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4 for redundancy.
    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Namebench will also help you pick the best DNS.
    http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Long shot, but I would also think about changing the modem power outlet. Bad power can cause issues like this too.

Did the problems start happening a few weeks back when we had the ice storm?

My Ride
    Subaru GH

I have already got them to reprovision it and still no go. The issue has been happening from 1.5 years ago. also consider_changing_the outlet and I'll tryout that name bench.
    All of this helps guys I appreciate it. If I do have cancel with shaw what's my options for ISPs. shaw and telus?

Telus isn't all that bad now I heard from some ppl

They offer 25 Mbps service and up to 50 some places
    Maybe they will give u a free month or week or two trial if u bitch abt shaw and say u wanna try out telus before u commit ?

Just don't sign a contrct with telus. Go month to month.
    You wouldn't believe how many ppl don't know u can go month to month with telus and get screwed into a contract.

Eliminate the router altogether and get the modem in bridged mode and connect via Ethernet.
    Is the Ethernet cable damaged?
    Did any techs from shaw do a line quality test? Sometimes they degrade over time? Did they check signal levels?

If u complain enough then shaw will send someone out and try to figure out wtf is going on
    Another thing is going to the shaw forums at dslreports.com and MSG the rep that is on there. Shaw Alex or something. He seems better and more competent than a phone monkey.

My Ride
    Subaru GH

So EK69 I'm assuming you want me to just bridge it again and just hardwire Ethernet? I'll try these.. I definitely enjoy shaw service I just don't know what the hell is going on.. None of the techs have done any line testing all cables are new too.