Quantcast
Scion FR-S was hit pretty bad, looking for a total loss - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scion FR-S was hit pretty bad, looking for a total loss

Default Scion FR-S was hit pretty bad, looking for a total loss

Posting for a friend because he does not have an account here.

"My Scion FR-S was parked outside of my house on the street, and was hit by an oncoming car causing extensive damage. The other party admitted fault (thankfully), and my car is now sitting at the body shop. The car was appraised and a repair estimate was given, which I will post below:

The percent of damage to the car's actual cash value is 68% ($15,476.19 in repairs vs. ACV of $22,775.00). There was no frame or motor damage. I'm trying to push this car towards a total loss and am looking for advice on how to do so. The car is also on a lease by the way, if that matters.

I've called insurance a few times. My adjuster said it was up to the appraiser at the body shop whether the car was a total loss or not (weird, because I always thought it was up to insurance?). I called the body shop and they said it was definitely up to insurance, so I'm going to call insurance again this week.

Thanks."
    Last edited by KRZY403; 02-09-2014 at 09:23 PM.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Good luck. My fit got rear ended in 2010 and was about 72% of total cost and they (td meloche monnex) at the time still decided to fix my fit. It was near impossible to sell after that accident. I argued and argued with them and they wouldn't budge towards total loss

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    is broken

If its a lease who cares if its a repair or total loss?
    How much time is left on the lease?
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

This is the owner posting now. If it is repaired, giving back the lease is my option. It's just the fact that I was going to buy the car out at the end of the lease, but now I'd have to keep the lease for another 2.5 years, and I'd be making payments toward something I'm not keeping. I'd end up just getting another FR-S.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by KRZY403
    This is the owner posting now. If it is repaired, giving back the lease is my option. It's just the fact that I was going to buy the car out at the end of the lease, but now I'd have to keep the lease for another 2.5 years, and I'd be making payments toward something I'm not keeping. I'd end up just getting another FR-S.

So be thankful you leased, give the car back in two years, and look forward to a new car at that time. If you wanted to keep the car you would have bought it.

A good example of why leasing is the best way to buy a new car.

If you put money down on your lease then it makes the decision a little tougher.... But I don't know why you would put cash down on a lease.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Drive the shit out of the car for 2.5 years. It goes back and is someone else's problem after. If anything, you'll have way more fun not worrying about babying the car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Thanks for the replies. And yeah, I saw that one thing as a plus rage2.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

The only way you are going to convince them to write it off is to find ways to devalue the car. Find comparables for less on Kijiji, auto trader, etc. Point out flaws from before the accident, all that stuff you like to keep quiet.

If you can devaule it enough, they will write it off. But this can be a catch-22 as well. Because if they still decide to fix it, they will base future valuations on the car from this one...

But yeah, because it is a lease, who cares. drive it like you stole it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Has AWD

think of it this way, in 2.5years we will have a BR-Z STi and hopefully a comparable example of the FR-S.........once u have driven your FRS for 2.5 more years you will be ready for more power and then its an easy choice

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by MGCM
    think of it this way, in 2.5years we will have a BR-Z STi and hopefully a comparable example of the FR-S.........once u have driven your FRS for 2.5 more years you will be ready for more power and then its an easy choice
    Exactly my train of thought. Beat the shit out of it for 2.5 more years then give it back and get a BRZ STi.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Make sure they check to see if the block was cracked, it is not uncommon for that to happen on subies.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    Make sure they check to see if the block was cracked, it is not uncommon for that to happen on subies.
    They'll find it in the repair.

When my bro crashed my E55, at first they were going to repair it. But when they started work on it, they realized the engine was toast, and that was enough to write it off.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    DA6, R59

You are right, in most cases it is caught. I only brought it up because a similar situation happened where the estimator did not catch it, the body shop who was repairing the car and noticed a crack in the block. By that time it was too late as they were almost done with the repairs and had too much invested to not replace the engine. Never hurts to ask especially if they are looking for it to be a write off.

My Ride

Originally posted by Benny

Beat the shit out of it for 2.5 more years then give it back and get a BRZ STi.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I don't really have a frame of reference to work with here but what is a brand new FR-S worth to get off the lot?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

About $30k out the door, taxes, PDI everything on a completely base model.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I don't really have a frame of reference to work with here but what is a brand new FR-S worth to get off the lot?
    Mine was 30.5k$ off the lot without any of their BS dealership addons.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Was going to say I didn't really think you had any opinion or say in whether the car was going to be written off or not lol..... totally up to the insurance company and to whoever they have review the appraisal.

If they haven't put the car on a lift yet or started taking parts off there is still a chance they could find more damage and they may still write it off.

Our insurance company waffled back and forth for 2.5 months and even ordered parts for our car assuming they were going to replace it (have fun sending those back lol) then ended up writing it off anyhow. Insurance companies don't know what the hell they are doing, they told us at first $3500 damage, then it was $8000, $11000, $19500, $24500, final number was $34500 I think.

Are you trying to push for them to write it off because you have replacement value insurance on this and would come out a little ahead money wise?

[url]

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by bignerd
    Was going to say I didn't really think you had any opinion or say in whether the car was going to be written off or not lol..... totally up to the insurance company and to whoever they have review the appraisal.

If they haven't put the car on a lift yet or started taking parts off there is still a chance they could find more damage and they may still write it off.

Our insurance company waffled back and forth for 2.5 months and even ordered parts for our car assuming they were going to replace it (have fun sending those back lol) then ended up writing it off anyhow. Insurance companies don't know what the hell they are doing, they told us at first $3500 damage, then it was $8000, $11000, $19500, $24500, final number was $34500 I think.

Are you trying to push for them to write it off because you have replacement value insurance on this and would come out a little ahead money wise?
    I believe it is because he leased the vehicle with intentions of buying it out and the end of the lease. However now that it's damaged he wouldn't, but he's still stick with the lease for another 2.5 years. If it was written off he could start a new lease with an undamaged car

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast