Quantcast
Smart Watch/Fitness Tracker Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Smart Watch/Fitness Tracker Thread

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Smart Watch/Fitness Tracker Thread

Since there are so many different watches/bands, maybe it is a good idea to have one thread?

Today MS announced the Microsoft Band. It is $200usd and currently only available in the US but it sounds really awesome. Shaped like a samsung gear fit but has 10 different sensors like gps, heart rate, skin temp and even UV. It is also cross platform for ios, android & WP.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us

I am interested in this as I used to have a fitbit force that got recalled and am kind of more interested in the fitness aspect than having a smart watch though the moto360 seems like it would also be worth while.

My Ride
    is broken

They listed Gyro twice so its more like 9 sensors depending on your take. A Barometer would have been nice too. I have a watch with a Barometer I use to track vertical gains while skiing. Much lower batter usage than GPS.

I'm wondering why they dont sell this to seniors. Connected to a cell phone this would put med alert out of business.

Cool device! With that price I might get one just for a workout monitor. Anyone know how much this works standalone? Or is a connection required.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i have a gear2 neo, i enjoy it, only thing i wish was different, is i wish the watch was a phone (simcard and speakerphone/dialer), right now i carry a tablet (as my phone) and the watch, would be nice if i could leave my tablet behind and not be completely disconnected, but then tether my tablet to my watch when necesary.

But it does all that fancy fitness tracking and stuff, i use it for the pedometer and sleep tracking, interesting stuff to know, but for me realistically it's just a toy.
    Last edited by Thaco; 10-30-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Cool device! With that price I might get one just for a workout monitor. Anyone know how much this works standalone? Or is a connection required.
    I am guessing it must work standalone as you are supposed to be able to run and track with gps without a phone. I assume akin to like a fitbit where you can sync it at a later time?

I like the price though as the Fitbit Charge HR with hrm is $150 us with a tiny little screen and no features other than fitness tracking and it isn't much smaller than this.

Motox though I think is also available tomorrow in Canada, but I don't really want to exercise/run with a fancy watch with a leather strap.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I've been using my Samsung Gear Fit for a few months now. It has alot of advantages or disadvantages that I didn't think of until I started using it. For example.

- Able to get preview on all my texts and email while I'm walking around the office, driving, or during work out. REALLY convenient cause then I know whether I actually have to pull out/walk back to my phone to response or not.
    - Getting woken up by vibration through the bank has been alot more effective than alarm alone.
    - Media control - able to control my music while i'm running or working out without pulling out my phone has been useful
    - Running - Easy way to quickly track time or speed

What i don't like about the Gear Fit

- Take too long to take HR and has to stay perfectly still while holding the arm at an awkward angle to get a reading, which only works half the time.
    - Battery life sucks. Barely have enough juice for 2 full days
    - Pedometer doesn't feel accurate.
    - Not a whole lot of other features

So right now I wear it on days that I know I'll be working out, the rest of the time it sits on the charging cradle. Ultimately it's just a toy. I only paid $65 for it, but I don't think it's worth >$100. I would be pissed if I actually paid the full $220 MSRP when it first came out...

Does anyone here use Pebble or Pebble steel?

I'm wondering how it compares, in terms of fitness tracking.

The moto 360 looks really nice but damn the price is just too much for me.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Most of these wearable watches are a joke at best.

I had a Fitbit and returned it due to inaccuracies and horrible read outs.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by firebane
    Most of these wearable watches are a joke at best.

I had a Fitbit and returned it due to inaccuracies and horrible read outs.
    What do you mean, they are pretty accurate. Especially since they are now adding more sensors. I had a fitbit and it was generally pretty accurate

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by schocker

What do you mean, they are pretty accurate. Especially since they are now adding more sensors. I had a fitbit and it was generally pretty accurate
    There was no way for the Fitbit to be accurate. Even the step counting was way out of whack as if you shook your wrist or twisted your wrist the way it count it as a step.

Maybe the newer ones are better.. But I'd rather get a realistic review by people instead of people who just say OMG WOW.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by firebane
    There was no way for the Fitbit to be accurate. Even the step counting was way out of whack as if you shook your wrist or twisted your wrist the way it count it as a step.

Maybe the newer ones are better.. But I'd rather get a realistic review by people instead of people who just say OMG WOW.
    Oh, well accelerometers are only so accurate, of course shaking it would make it think you took a step though, same thing would happen with a simple pedometer though. If you had all the correct info in on fitbit and added your food and exercise and stuff mine was pretty accurate. I had the force though.