Quantcast
2014-15 SASC Winter Driver Training - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 SASC Winter Driver Training

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I think she's going to do it. I played the "will you please think of the children " angle.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by codetrap
    I also want to say thanks to the guys for putting this on. I especially enjoyed the instruction on how to get my F150 into a 4 wheel drift going around the G circle. That was more than fun!

I'm currently working on the wife to convince her to take the course, and I mentioned it to my 69yr old dad and he wants to sign up too.
    It was nice to meet you!

My Ride

Ok. Be nice to my wife. She's pretty anxious about being out there on the ice, and about the class in general.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I also want to say thanks to the guys for putting this on. I especially enjoyed the instruction on how to get my F150 into a 4 wheel drift going around the G circle. That was more than fun!
    curious of the specifics of this, since the f-150 is not fun at all with its nannies... were you in 4 low? or did you have everything turned off and able to keep your wheel speed under 50km/h? or did you just power through the nannies?

My Ride
    Has AWD

Ok. Be nice to my wife. She's pretty anxious about being out there on the ice, and about the class in general.
    Dont worry we'll make sure she has fun and learns a bunch.

we can send her for a ride in the Volvo or Golf to scare her at the end of the day

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Thanks for the kind words btw! We appreciate hearing that you got something out of the training! Of course it is most important that you learned something since that is the point!

As for your wife, no problem! I like when people have no preconceived ideas to work through! (right guys? ). Less "things" to unlearn! I find women seem to be more attentive generally and I think they tend to get more out of these schools which is a good thing - very positive!

In my opinion, I think as years go on, I believe we'll continue to see more women in motorsports and being successful at it. This is a good thing since I don't believe motorsports should be dominated by men. I know women who are very competitive at the National and International level in open (and otherwise) classes.

There will be other women there and I usually like to try and have at least one woman instructing if possible for this reason.

Anyway, she is welcome out there as far as I am concerned!

Reijo
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Next one is this coming weekend (Sunday Feb. 22) ... a little bigger group this time with 17 signed up so far ... so still room for a few more if you or someone you know might be interested (let them know!).

Note that the classroom is at 7 pm on the evening before (Sat. Feb. 21) at the Chinook Mall Microsoft store (go to the back of the store). The class is about 45 min. to 1 hour in duration depending on questions etc.

March 1 and 15 are also coming up and are open for registration. With the warm winter we will continue to monitor the ice. Last time we had 20.5-21" of ice (we drilled something like 4 holes in various locations and all were within 1/2". Plenty of ice for now but we will keep an eye on March 15 ... That is about the limit of the season since the sun gets higher/stronger and generally the weather warms up.

Student discounts ($75) are in effect - bring ID.

See you soon?!

Reijo

My Ride

Originally posted by ercchry
    curious of the specifics of this, since the f-150 is not fun at all with its nannies... were you in 4 low? or did you have everything turned off and able to keep your wheel speed under 50km/h? or did you just power through the nannies?
    I just kept it off and the TCS system stayed off for me over 56k. That was enough to do the fun stuff in 4x4. in 2x4 it was realllly loose in the back, and lots of fun.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

yeah even when off it kicks back in over 50km/h and thats based off the speed sensors in the wheels, so that wheel speed... so you powered through it, which i have done a few times and it seems to work if you initiate when its still off, but you can for sure feel it fighting you, which translates into more brake pad wear

My Ride

*shrug* The truck only has 25k on it.. The brakes are hardly worn in yet. :P

My Ride
    Has AWD

*shrug* The truck only has 25k on it.. The brakes are hardly worn in yet. :P
    Next year you get to convince her to drive the truck for the school and your driving the mazda

She did well today, certainly seems to be responding well in the changing condition. We had the best grip Ive ever see on Ghost Lake this morning, then we started polishing and a funny thing happend to all that grip

My Ride
    Trucks

5 vehicles have fallen through the ice on Ghost Dam in the last 2 weeks, be careful out there now. This is from the Cochrane newspaper 4 days ago:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Darell_n
    5 vehicles have fallen through the ice on Ghost Dam in the last 2 weeks, be careful out there now. This is from the Cochrane newspaper 4 days ago:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Bet they were driving too close to the dam because its 20inches thick as of today in the area we hold the school. Thx for the warning tho, a reminder for us to make sure we space out vehicles and a reminder to ensure we drill 4-5 holes before the final school.

My Ride
    Trucks

Yes, I don't know the specifics of where the ice failed but definitely be diligent in testing the ice.

My Ride
    Has AWD

I feel for the crews who will be sent to eventually retrieve these vehicles thats one cold swim to hookup the cables to pull them out.

My Ride
    Trucks

They should just send in a heavy lift chopper and a grappling hook to snatch them up. The vehicles are garbage anyway, and split the cost between the owners. That's my drinking water right there so not too keen on having them there.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Thanks to SASC and all the instructors for putting this on. My fiance was out there today and before she went she was a bit nervous, but I think she really enjoyed it. She hasn't stopped talking about it since she got home!

My Ride

Thanks guys for being so nice to Rae. She had nothing but good things to say about the course today.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Glad she/they liked the course and got something out of it!

Anyway, we have another Winter Driving Training session tomorrow March 1 .... 2nd last one scheduled for the year ... We have spots open ... know anyone interested?

Pls let them know .... You have until midnight to sign up online at:
    http://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/so...solosport-club

Reijo

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Originally posted by MGCM

Bet they were driving too close to the dam because its 20inches thick as of today in the area we hold the school. Thx for the warning tho, a reminder for us to make sure we space out vehicles and a reminder to ensure we drill 4-5 holes before the final school.
    A friend of mine called me and mentioned that this was his brother's SUV (Avalance or Escalade ... or whatever it was ... black in colour).

Also heard that they went in upstream of the lake ... where the current is strong ... and ice thin. Don't go where the current is swift.

We had the driver training that day and there were plenty of vehicles out on the lake ... We measured the ice on the lake in multiple spots ... between 20-21 in.

Moral of the story: Stay away from the dam and river.

R.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast