Quantcast
Ticket for not having my lights on - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticket for not having my lights on

Originally posted by Type_S1

So you are saying you would give a ticket for that "unsafe" left turn? How about for not having lights on during day time hours? My problem is police in this city are so focused on ticket revenue they seem to forget the bigger picture. Being a traffic cop has to be one of the most degrading jobs one could have. Detectives, the GU, etc. I have respect for as they are actually trying to make the city a better place. Giving someone a crock of shit ticket because you have a quota to meet is a joke. I don't understand how someone can really feel good about their lives when their sole purpose is handing out traffic tickets.

edit: the negative comments are not directed at you Phil...it's just my opinion that the system has a massive flaw. I feel the same about city construction workers lack of productivity and wasted resources (8 guys on break while 1 works), and even departments at my own company where I could fire half the people and see the same amount of work pumped out.
    I've already said I don't know if that officer had another perspective that gave him evidence to believe that turn was unsafe. So, I don't know if I would. If I had the evidence and believe it was warranted, I would write that ticket. I write them on half the collisions I attend, because it's a serious safety hazard.

As far as your problem with us focusing on ticket revenue, there is a wide gap between your perception and reality. We have maybe 30-40 members who do traffic full time, and the rest of the members doing enforcement (800ish) are patrol members. Traffic enforcement constitutes a very small part of our typical work day, as we are dealing with other things that are priorities. Sexual assaults, personal crimes, break and enters, 911 calls, domestics, etc. In between, we see something and we can't just ignore it. That's against the Police Act, and our common law duties.

I know you aren't trying to insult anyone here, but I don't really like the fact that everything I do as a patrol member on a daily basis is diminished by the fact that I may hand out a traffic ticket or two. I solve large frauds, sexual assaults, handle serious domestic calls, and am at the pointy end of the spear when someone is waving a gun around and threatening to shoot people.

Detectives and GIU are important, but they don't answer 911. They come in when everything is all calmed down and over, and further the investigation. Please don't undervalue everything the rest of us do because you don't like the fact that we have to enforce traffic laws, especially when we see one being broken right in front of us.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by Stealth22

They can shut everything off (i.e. 'stealth mode') completely, including the DRL's if they want to.
    Including brake lights?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

The DRLs get disabled at the Police garage when they install the wig wags (the headlights that flash alternately).

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    Including brake lights?
    That, I'm not sure of. It seems like it would be a safety issue. Phil (or any other CPS member on Beyond) could speak better to that.

All I know is, they either have a kill switch for the DRL's, or as ianmcc said, they get disabled when the car is delivered. I thought I've seen them driving around with DRL's, but that could have been the headlights, I guess.

But basically, if they get a crime in progress call at night, they can roll up on it without any headlights or DRL's so as not to announce their presence.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by firebane
    Not all vehicles are equipped with DRL you know :P
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...afety-1158.htm

YOU ARE RIGHT. Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) and its Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (MVSRs) require that all new vehicles sold in (or imported into) Canada and built after December 1, 1989, be fitted with daytime running lights (DRLs) that go on when you start the vehicle.

Vehicles built after December 1, 1989, that operate without DRLs are either:
    •United States licensed whose drivers are visiting Canada
    •have a broken or disconnected DRL function; or
    •were imported when they were more than 15 years old, (the federal government does not have jurisdiction over these)

Provincial/territorial governments have complete authority over the road system and its use, including the licensing, operation and maintenance of vehicles.

With a few exceptions, the Government of Nova Scotia requires the use of DRLs or low-beam headlamps during the daytime hours. This law applies to all road users, including visitors.

Nova Scotia is the first Canadian province to pass such a law. Transport Canada is encouraging other provinces to follow Nova Scotia’s example.

cops in this city are a joke....definitely protecting and serving with this ticket.

I got a ticket last week at 4:15 pm for not having my lights on...it wasn't even dark yet. I hope to hell that loser constable shows up to court so I can rip him a new ass hole. Too bad I can't sue the cop for lost time at work for having to appear in court.
    Drive with your lights on!!!!!

/you got what you deserve, sorry bud

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Hear, fucking, hear for the cop!! I'm so sick and tired of idiots driving around that can't figure out how/when to turn on their lights. Sure it gets dark at 4:45-5:00...but on darker, cloud cover days, at 4:00 it starts to get dim light, and often, when 90% of the cars all have their lights on, someone with NO tail or marker lights on is hard to see.

Hell, coming home from Strathmore last week, it was 3:00 pm and it started snowing heavily. Near white out conditions, everyone on the highway has all their lights on, except for this IDIOT in front of us that you couldn't see at all. I flashed him a few times, he couldn't seem to figure out he had no lights on except his DRL's. Took until we hit Shaunessy, and I pulled up beside him at a red light...A fucking 30-something, EMS ATTENDANT no less!!!!! "Dude..turn your fucking lights on...can't see you at all out there!!!"
    "OH!! Didn't realize they weren't on! Thanks"

Good on the cop!!

THIS!!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by blairtruck

ticket for no lights on, or ticket for no DRL?
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but only in Nova Scotia are you actually required to have DRLs on while driving. In AB, you need DRLs in all cars made after 1989 to pass OOP. But after that, you are free to disable them as there is no law that says a car needs to have it's DRL's on during the day.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was always taught to turn your lights on on the highway regardless of what time it is to improve visibility.

If you were on deerfoot at dusk you should have had your lights on.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

As an FYI, I didn't create a thread on this...not sure why a mod thought it was okay to take a post in another thread and create a new thread?

I'll post dash cam footage after I get the ticket thrown out in a few weeks. Replies to this have been quite ridiculous. It appears certain people feel you need to have your lights on at all hours of the day which I completely disagree with. When it's starting to get dark, yes, that's the law. Low visibility, yes, that's the law. During the day or while it's light out, no, don't be ridiculous.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

TL : DR
    Cop gives me a ticket - He's in the wrong, he's supposed to be ticketing the other drivers. STUPID COPZ!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I'm happy to hear they are cracking down on the lights! However I think they should focus on the people who drive with no lights at night not so much before the sun goes down.

On a side note a few years ago I did get a ticket for a dirty license plate. I had just spent $40 on a car wash a few days earlier and still got pulled over going 20km/h on 9th ave in rush hour for it. Bastard gave me a ticket and then said clean it or I will tow you. $115 down the drain and by the time I got home plate was illegible again (hatchback). Ever since then I wipe the plates every few days.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    TL : DR
    Cop gives me a ticket - He's in the wrong, he's supposed to be ticketing the other drivers. STUPID COPZ!!!
    This.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

let me know when the court date is. I'll bring the popcorn and watch you get your ass handed to you.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    is broken

So just to play Devil's advocate the time of sunset according to the GOC for January 6 was 16:46. He was given a ticket at 16:15.

Furthermore the historical weather data stats that the viability was around 3 km for most of that day.

OP is most certainly rude however I would also like to see the dash cam video.

>>>POST THE VIDEO<<<
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

As an FYI, I didn't create a thread on this...not sure why a mod thought it was okay to take a post in another thread and create a new thread?

I'll post dash cam footage after I get the ticket thrown out in a few weeks. Replies to this have been quite ridiculous. It appears certain people feel you need to have your lights on at all hours of the day which I completely disagree with. When it's starting to get dark, yes, that's the law. Low visibility, yes, that's the law. During the day or while it's light out, no, don't be ridiculous.
    You didn't start this thread? What's the other thread you're referring to? Seems odd that a forum moderator would start a new thread using one of your posts from another thread and make this new thread look like you started it - another rogue Toma?

I was following a lady last night, pitch black out.
    And she's got her front lights on but of course her car doesn't have taillights running with the Auto setting that so many people take as the holy grail.
    Anyways, I highbeamed flashed her about 40 times and then got beside her. I tried to get her attention so she'd look over and I could tell her to turn on her lights. Nope. Nothing. Just tunnel vision staring straight ahead and completely oblivious to life around her.

This happens on the regular.

cool story bro

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by jacky4566
    So just to play Devil's advocate the time of sunset according to the GOC for January 6 was 16:46. He was given a ticket at 16:15.

Furthermore the historical weather data stats that the viability was around 3 km for most of that day.

OP is most certainly rude however I would also like to see the dash cam video.

&gt;&gt;&gt;POST THE VIDEO&lt;&lt;&lt;
    Exactly my thinking. I'd be taking this ticket straight to trial. Clear visibility and before sunset; I'd love to see what the cop has to say to that.

Originally posted by speedog

You didn't start this thread? What's the other thread you're referring to? Seems odd that a forum moderator would start a new thread using one of your posts from another thread and make this new thread look like you started it - another rogue Toma?
    I think that's what actually happened as this was all part of the left hand turn thread.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    I was following a lady last night, pitch black out.
    And she's got her front lights on but of course her car doesn't have taillights running with the Auto setting that so many people take as the holy grail.
    Anyways, I highbeamed flashed her about 40 times and then got beside her. I tried to get her attention so she'd look over and I could tell her to turn on her lights. Nope. Nothing. Just tunnel vision staring straight ahead and completely oblivious to life around her.

This happens on the regular.
    HA I used to do this.. I've given up on it. Found it's completely pointless. Saw another dude do the same thing on Crowchild. Him in a 4Runner and flashing the person in front continually for about 3 KMs, and then just gave up.

Worst one was on the QE2 just after Red Deer. Idiot in a newer Civic with his bimbo beside him.. Anyway he had his lights at the parking lights setting instead of full headlights, so his parking lights were on and his high beams/DRL set to low, which still blinds people and hardly lights up the road ahead. I flashed him a few times, turned off my headlights, etc.. His response? Turned them off and turned them on again to show me he has his lights on. But still in the wrong position. WTF. Said fuck it. Not worth it.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Silverado

yea, when I started driving, only a decade ago, people knew what the fuck was meant when you flashed the brights at someone. I haven't successfuly 'flashed' someone's lights on in probably 5 years. And like dumbass said, you pull up beside these people and give a little honk they won't even look over. like im going to fucking shoot them if they glance to their right. jesus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast