Quantcast
$30 barrel oil? - Page 31 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

Thread: $30 barrel oil?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's pointing out correctly that the fund should be a hell of a lot larger, but it was raided for pet projects and short term political gains.
    In comparison to what? Let's not forget the fund would not even exist had it not been for a PC Premier to begin with. Once again this boils back to the accusations that PC's did a shit job in the good years, despite the fact that an NDP or Liberal government through those times would've brought us to a point of massive deficits and no Heritage fund at all. And then the debt problem we are in now would have been a massively compounded one already.

I'd fully agree that this thing could've been managed better, but that doesn't mean another party would've left us better off by any means.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In comparison to what it was before we made withdrawals of the capital previously invested.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Guess I'll have to leave my hometown just like every other younger motivated person will. This province will die and half of it is BC's fault and the other half is the PC partys fault. The party that you fucking morons will rush to re-elect again because hey, fuck the libs right?

Morons. This is a province full of morons with shit for brains.
    It could be worse. Your just moving town. I had to move to a whole new country..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The PC’s did exactly what they were elected to do, put more money in people’s hands rather than hoard it in some government slush fund.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean they were wrong. That’s just ideology.

A lot of people, a lot of Albertans, made a lot of money through the boom years. Money in their pockets, that was and is theirs to do with what they wanted.

You are just pissy because it was before your time.
    Last edited by killramos; 11-28-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Can you please name one other government that guided it's Province out of the recession with no blemishes?

People love to trash on the Conservatives for not doing better when times were good, yet nobody else did any better. And even if any voter(including yourself) had the foresight to see all this crap coming and not be standing here yelling about some 20/20 hindsight nonsense, what exactly was the other choice all those years? The choices have been Cons or Libs, doesn't leave much choice at all. Sure we could've just said "Fuck it vote Libs, the Cons need an ego check for 4 years, I mean how bad could one party really screw things up in 4 years?". Fast forward a few years and that's exactly how the NDP got in, and look at that fucking mess. Yay! for strategic voting.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this sarcasm about the 17.6 billion dollar heritage fund we have?

Lol. Wow. Somebody has been on a strict diet of propaganda Kool-Aid.
    The PCs guided the province out of a recession when people who graduated university 2 years ago weren't even born yet. Since then, they squandered and mismanaged a record boom. I was a twenty years old when Redford was voted in, didnt have much of a voice back then. Anyone with basic economics knowledge knows cutting taxes during a boom is a mistake.

Lol yeah so the fund was around 15 Billion when the PCs left office. It was 25 billion after the 80s recession. So during the record boom, the PCs managed to reduce the size of the fund. Great work. Perfect example of Conservative financial management.

What exactly is wrong with what the NDP has done since they took office? Let me guess, Carbon Tax right? (WORKING WITH HER GOOD FRIEND JUSTIN TRUDEAU). Scrapping a tax is definitely going to help Albertas revenue problem though, thats for sure.

Im the one drinking the kool-aid lol. Listen, the proof is in pudding. The PCs left the Alberta economy in ruins less than a year after oil prices dropped. You want to re-elect them. Who is drinking kool aid?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

The PCs guided the province out of a recession when people who graduated university 2 years ago weren't even born yet. Since then, they squandered and mismanaged a record boom. I was a twenty years old when Redford was voted in, didnt have much of a voice back then. Anyone with basic economics knowledge knows cutting taxes during a boom is a mistake.

Lol yeah so the fund was around 15 Billion when the PCs left office. It was 25 billion after the 80s recession. So during the record boom, the PCs managed to reduce the size of the fund. Great work. Perfect example of Conservative financial management.

What exactly is wrong with what the NDP has done since they took office? Let me guess, Carbon Tax right? (WORKING WITH HER GOOD FRIEND JUSTIN TRUDEAU). Scrapping a tax is definitely going to help Albertas revenue problem though, thats for sure.

Im the one drinking the kool-aid lol. Listen, the proof is in pudding. The PCs left the Alberta economy in ruins less than a year after oil prices dropped. You want to re-elect them. Who is drinking kool aid?
    2013... biggest disaster in the history of the province, not cheap to clean up... but doesnt fit your narrative, does it?

you really do sound like a millennial though.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

The PC’s did exactly what they were elected to do, put more money in people’s hands rather than hoard it in some government slush fund.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean they were wrong. That’s just ideology.

A lot of people, a lot of Albertans, made a lot of money through the boom years. Money in their pockets, that was and is theirs to do with what the wanted.

You are just pissy because it was before your time.
    Im pissed because you left the province in ruin for future generations. I think thats a valid reason to be angry no?

Could've built up a top university to attract more talent and sophisticated industry. Could've built up a fund to give the province breathing room while other industry develops. Couldve built more infrastructure or saved funds to replace the now decrepit infrastructure we're going to have to deal with.

Nope instead Johnny the Welder without a GED got to horde his 300K salary and leave now that the going is getting tough.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    2013... biggest disaster in the history of the province, not cheap to clean up... but doesnt fit your narrative, does it?

Flood was 2.5 billion from the province. Most of the withdrawals from the fund came before 2010 though. So that doesn't really fit your narrative hey?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle24191018/

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Flood was 2.5 billion from the province. Most of the withdrawals from the fund came before 2010 though. So that doesn't really fit your narrative hey?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle24191018/
    it sure does, thats a large percentage in a short window... your argument is they pissed it away... but shit 2.5b to one event towards social causes... fucking assholes!

i'd also argue that every "uneducated" $300k rig worker did more to stimulate the economy than the NDP has

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Typical Liberal elitist mentality, government keep all the money to itself because it knows what it’s people want better than its people do.

Take your nanny state BS to Ontario and see what fantastic shape that province is in after the Liberals have been at the reigns.

Seriously, if you think Alberta is so bad then leave. Alberta doesn’t want you.

I’m sure Johnny the welder worked much harder for his 300k than you ever have with your massive sense of millennial entitlement.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I am glad someone else said it. Graduates university and expects to be given a job, the entitlement is strong.

My Ride
    V8s

Im pissed because you left the province in ruin for future generations. I think thats a valid reason to be angry no?

Could've built up a top university to attract more talent and sophisticated industry. Could've built up a fund to give the province breathing room while other industry develops. Couldve built more infrastructure or saved funds to replace the now decrepit infrastructure we're going to have to deal with.

Nope instead Johnny the Welder without a GED got to horde his 300K salary and leave now that the going is getting tough.
    Been said already, but it's hilarious how well you fit the millenial stereotype. If you're not offended by that... well, you should be.

Just google the image that summarizes inter-provincial transfer payments over the years, that will give you another piece of valuable insight into where lots of ABs money has gone.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

it sure does, thats a large percentage in a short window... your argument is they pissed it away... but shit 2.5b to one event towards social causes... fucking assholes!

i'd also argue that every "uneducated" $300k rig worker did more to stimulate the economy than the NDP has
    So a disaster in 2013 that caused the fund to justifiably stagnate for the year excuses the other 20 years of mismanagement?

Hey I'm sure there kids in Columbia and strippers in Grande Prairie that were super stimulated by those rig workers. The guy who made truck nuts? Fucker must be rolling in it still.

Typical Liberal elitist mentality, government keep all the money to itself because it knows what it’s people want better than its people do.

Take your nanny state BS to Ontario and see what fantastic shape that province is in after the Liberals have been at the reigns.

Seriously, if you think Alberta is so bad then leave. Alberta doesn’t want you.

I’m sure Johnny the welder worked much harder for his 300k than you ever have with your massive sense of millennial entitlement.
    This has to be sarcastic, right? You're just playing up the stereotype right?

I love Alberta and I love Calgary but man do I hate the people like yourself who left this province in a smoldering mess and now blame it all on Justin Trudeau and his close friend Rachel Notley. The difference is guys like yourself got to ride the wave and everyone that comes after can go fuck themselves eh? I really do hope there is a mass flight of young people away from this province so that the people who created this mess can be the ones who deal with it. Man, at least own it. Maybe you do, but other people like yourself need to shut the fuck up about Notley and Trudeau and point the finger directly at themselves for what this province has become.

Hope you're not counting on your home equity for retirement or to pay back that line of credit.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Been said already, but it's hilarious how well you fit the millenial stereotype. If you're not offended by that... well, you should be.

Just google the image that summarizes inter-provincial transfer payments over the years, that will give you another piece of valuable insight into where lots of ABs money has gone.
    Yeah, damn millennial being all pissy when they realize that they'll probably be forced to abandon the place they grew up because of hilariously bad political ideology and budget management.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 11-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

You're 100% right. The Liberals and NDP parties have left all other provinces in a glorious surplus of prosperity over the last 40 years.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    You're 100% right. The Liberals and NDP parties have left all other provinces in a glorious surplus of prosperity over the last 40 years.
    Did the other provinces experience a decade long resource boom?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I really do hope there is a mass flight of young people away from this province so that the people who created this mess can be the ones who deal with it.
    Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Don’t worry there are tons of other provinces with massive opportunity for entitled young people due to years of prudent liberal management. I hear bankers in Toronto drink lots of hipster coffee, sounds right up your alley.

fact.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Don’t worry there are tons of other provinces with massive opportunity for entitled young people due to years of prudent liberal management. I hear bankers in Toronto drink lots of hipster coffee, sounds right up your alley.
    Entitled young people.

Coming from the guy who maxed out what he could get from the province and now refuses to contribute through taxes to fix the problem he helped create.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yup that’s me.

Or, you know, I just don’t expect the government to take care of me. Potatoe/Potahtoe.

fact.

Entitled young people.

Coming from the guy who maxed out what he could get from the province and now refuses to contribute through taxes to fix the problem he helped create.
    Gestalt?

My Ride
    ute

Any size of "heritage fund" or government saving is the wrong size. The entire concept is a terrible idea.

Any capital held in government's hands is by definition capital that could be held in private hands. And if there is one thing we know for sure: governments are terrible at utilizing and allocating capital. It's literally the worst place for that $25MMM to be.

The more we idealize the transfer of responsibility (for saving in good times, say), from individuals to government, the more we damage the entire system which resulted in huge advancements for humanity in the last 100 years.

Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast