Quantcast
Audi have successfully made diesel fuel from carbon dioxide and water - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Audi have successfully made diesel fuel from carbon dioxide and water

Default Audi have successfully made diesel fuel from carbon dioxide and water

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Someone with a better understanding of Chemistry and such would have to explain is this is feasible for mass production/usage, has stability for storage and transport and so on. If so it could be the start of a decent game-changer down the road, no?

EDIT - a bit more reading suggests the technology has been around for a long time but not all that attractive/feasible for mass use. Audi claims to have changed that part of the process.....interesting for sure.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 04-27-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

it is all going to come down to cost. is it more cost effective to create this "E-Diesel" or to keep using fossil fuels/EV/regular diesel.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Well the line that says consumer cost is anticipated to be in the same line as traditional diesel leads one to think there may be something to it. Time will tell but like I said, interesting thing for sure.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer

Isn't this just the Fischer-Tropsch process, wait that looks like its with carbon monoxide. But seriously, why the extra step when electrolysis is already being done to create H2 which is a fuel. Storage of H2 is a pain. Whats the energy equation of this "blue conversion"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Step one of this process is problematic currently. If you can make cheap and plentiful electricity, you are laughing. If not, this is useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Originally posted by DTTB_36
    Isn't this just the Fischer-Tropsch process, wait that looks like its with carbon monoxide. But seriously, why the extra step when electrolysis is already being done to create H2 which is a fuel. Storage of H2 is a pain. Whats the energy equation of this "blue conversion"
    My guess would be to "get rid" of the CO2. Rather than let it float around or pump it underground they can recycle it.

My Ride
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer

You can get rid of co2 but then you are still burning fuel. This creating more emission that aren't from a large source.

My Ride

Originally posted by DTTB_36
    You can get rid of co2 but then you are still burning fuel. This creating more emission that aren't from a large source.
    Well they use carbon dioxide to create the product but presumably, some is released when it is burned so I guess the real question is, is the net impact a negative, neutral or positive figure? If it's either of the first 2 then it's an improvement is it not?

I find this concept interesting, if there are ways to eventually mass produce the fuel using renewable energy sources/heat capture from production/etc., one would think there is potential to become something significant while still allowing the evil oil/gas companies to transition into a business that would maintain profits while improving sustainability. Obviously it would be a long term thing but a start is something.

Or I'm being too simplistic/idealistic about it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 09:11 PM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Step one of this process is problematic currently. If you can make cheap and plentiful electricity, you are laughing. If not, this is useless.
    I think this is the crux of the matter. Diesel in this case is just being used as a storage medium for energy. The power source is ultimately electricity for wind/nuclear/coal. The advantage of diesel is its energy density compared to H2, existing diesel vehicles, and existing infrastructure. It should be a net-zero CO2 process in theory, but the big problem is that unless the conversion is super efficient the amount of diesel produced per unit of energy input might be way too costly. It also starts to not be C02 neutral if you burn coal to make e-diesel.

My Ride
    is broken

JustinL i think you should check your facts.
    Hydrogen contains three times more energy than diesel.
    On the other hand, hydrogen is difficult to store because of its naturally low density. At atmospheric pressure and room temperature, it takes a volume of 11 m3 to store 1 kg of H2. Current storage technologies compress the gas at high pressure (700 bars) or liquefy hydrogen at -253 °C, which generates additional risks.

The article quotes the e-diesel will sell to the public for between 1 and 1.50 Euros per litre. But I will believe it when I see it.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by jacky4566
    JustinL i think you should check your facts.
    Yes per Kg, hydrogen is more energy dense, but even in liquid state is 4 times less energy dense per litre.

Here's a nice list of energy densities. We should be using the MJ/L because tank volume is the limiting factor for vehicles and not mass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Liquid hydrogen is 8.5 MJ/L
    Diesel is 35.8 MJ/L

To get the same energy into a liquid hydrogen car tank as a 50L diesel tank, you would need a 210L liquid hydrogen tank+ associated cryo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think Justin has covered that excellently. Space is the problem, not mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?