Quantcast
Buying a 2015 truck, need advice - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buying a 2015 truck, need advice

Originally posted by snoop101

Actually there is many reasons. Warranty, fuel efficiency, safety (and don't mean crash tests, but also backup camera, sensors), financing rates (at zero % it means not paying extra), and finally with 2015's on the way out you can get great deals right now.
    you know what... that's what I did, but I didn't have negative equity and pretty much paid cash for the truck.

you're talking about Laramie interiors and shit... and I can see how you could think:
    "well if I get enough of a discount and good financing, that will offset my 15k of negative equity" you are just lying to yourself

Its like my buddy's wife who justified a "new" car, just because the financing was 84 months 0% (Mazda), meanwhile the cash pricing was a 6k discount...

WHEN they needed to liquidate less than 8 months later, she as "pissed" at how much the car had depreciated...

I was like, how stupid... you already know out of the gate that the car was already 6k off your purchase price + depreciation.

don't get in the same boat, private sell your cars if you have to, and if you need, buy something used and reliable.

all the trucks are all good, and come in all sorts of configurations... they are all truck like... they haul like a truck, they drive like a truck, and drink gas like a truck

if you don't need a truck don't buy one... and if you do, then buy one
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 11-12-2015 at 02:45 PM.

My Ride
    01 GTI, 03 r6

Alright, since this thread has gone 3 pages with zero real world experience given about the 2015 trucks with the 2.7 ecoboost, I better weigh in.

2015 2.7 ecoboost, 4x4, 3.73 ratio

So far the truck gets exactly what it is rated for, 10.4l/100k. That's at 100km/h on cruise control on a regular road with a mix of hills and flat areas.
    It will get under 10 on a super flat road. I'd expect the 3.31&3.55 trucks to get their rated as well.

On the other end of the spectrum I recently did an ~800km trip, generally driving like a dick, 120-130km/h the whole way, full throttle passing. Not attempting to get good mileage in any way, and averaged 13l/100km.

Haven't really done much city driving with it yet, so not sure on mileage, but the stopstart system seems to work okay, can start up and get on the throttle relatively quick.

The 2.7 is not lacking for power in any way either. haven't been in any situation where i found it underpowered.

Oh, and don't write off the 2.7's reliability because of the early 3.5s being crap. They share very little with eachother so its not a good indicator. Not saying it will be problem free, but it hasn't been out long enough to know yet.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by audimaniaR8
    Alright, since this thread has gone 3 pages with zero real world experience given about the 2015 trucks with the 2.7 ecoboost, I better weigh in.

So far the truck gets exactly what it is rated for, 10.4l/100k. That's at 100km/h on cruise control on a regular road with a mix of hills and flat areas.
    It will get under 10 on a super flat road. I'd expect the 3.31&3.55 trucks to get their rated as well.

On the other end of the spectrum I recently did an ~800km trip, generally driving like a dick, 120-130km/h the whole way, full throttle passing. Not attempting to get good mileage in any way, and averaged 13l/100km.

Haven't really done much city driving with it yet, so not sure on mileage, but the stopstart system seems to work okay, can start up and get on the throttle relatively quick.

The 2.7 is not lacking for power in any way either. haven't been in any situation where i found it underpowered.

Oh, and don't write off the 2.7's reliability because of the early 3.5s being crap. They share very little with eachother so its not a good indicator. Not saying it will be problem free, but it hasn't been out long enough to know yet.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by audimaniaR8

Thanks for the feedback. i am really considering a 2.7 for my next truck as i do not need 11000+ lbs of towing.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

I would look at F150 forums for a more balanced overview.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:42 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have heard awesome things about the 2.7, apparently feels as fast as the 3.5 in the last generation when empty. The start\stop annoys the good old boys though.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:41 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cos, if I was only using the truck for towing, I would get a used 3/4 ton truck. Gas engine for lower maintenence and purchase cost. Even with your relatively small trailer, a heavier truck will feel nicer with a load. Plus, can get a longer bed, which is handy for "trucky" things.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:40 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's pretty nice to daily drive a reasonable car that is a little more fun in traffic, and parking lots, compared to some compromise truck every single day.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I just picked up a 2015 Sierra SLT All Terrain w/ 5.3 & 3.42 Axle Ratio and I absolutely love it. I got just shy of 10K off with corporate pricing and 0% financing for 84mo making it a great deal.

I had spent a lot of time researching & comparing the other big 3 and in my opinion here are the pro's/con's for each.

15' F150 Lariat w/ 3.5EB
    - Interior looks like it will become dated very quickly, cabin felt dark and cramped with a huge A-Pillar
    - The 3.5EB is definitely more powerful than the GM 5.3 but not as substantial of a difference as I was hoping for especially considering its need for premium fuel to make max power
    - By far the most expensive when comparing apples to apples
    - Even with its aluminum body the weight savings over the GMC w/ 5.3 are minimal

15' Ram Sport Loaded w/ Hemi
    - Very nice interior
    - Exterior looks dated
    - The service at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep is an exercise in frustration

15' Tundra Limited
    - What a joke, interior looks like it was plucked from 2009
    - The worst gas mileage of the bunch
    - More powerful on paper than GM 5.3 but the butt dyno proves otherwise

Originally posted by Darkane
    Best compromise is the GM 5.3.

I have a '15 Sierra and do 10.5-11l/100km if I drive at 110. I have the 3.42 rear end. It's the best of the three for fuel economy. That said, it's also the least powerful but not that heavy.

Finally a car err truck you and I can agree on
    Last edited by 94boosted; 11-20-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Cos

Yeah I was at GM for a few hours last night. Got to take an Avalanche home. Priced out a $15 with -9100 off (how did you manage both the stack discount and the 0 percent, they told me either or).

Going to look at a 2014 Blue used with 25,000km on it after work.
    I didn't know they made 2015 Avalanche's

I have preferred pricing, if I chose to finance it through my own bank the total discount would have been closer to 13.25K.

Originally posted by 94boosted
    I just picked up a 2015 Sierra SLT All Terrain w/ 5.3 & 3.42 Axle Ratio and I absolutely love it. I got just shy of 10K off with corporate pricing and 0% financing for 84mo making it a great deal.

I had spent a lot of time researching & comparing the other big 3 and in my opinion here are the pro's/con's for each.

15' F150 Lariat w/ 3.5EB
    - Interior looks like it will become dated very quickly, cabin felt dark and cramped with a huge A-Pillar
    - The 3.5EB is definitely more powerful than the GM 5.3 but not as substantial of a difference as I was hoping for especially considering its need for premium fuel to make max power
    - Even with its aluminum body the weight savings over the GMC w/ 5.3 are minimal

- Very nice interior
    - Exterior looks dated

15' Tundra Limited

The only thing going for the Tundra is its exterior...

Its not class leading anywhere and my mechanic has said he's seen alot of drivetrain issues

its funny, he says that American half ton trucks have mediocre engines, which mostly seems to be due to the relentless search of the non-existent fuel economy savings, but have the most "durable" drive train as it takes on much of the modular benefits of being built in the same factory and parts sourced from the OEs as their HD brethren.

he has said that the Tundra 5.7 has a bullet proof engine, and the Titan isn't bad (or the QX56/Armada) but has had to replace a number of rear ends, lots of wheel hop in the leaf, and transfer case problems.

his example was that the Ford 6 speed 6R80 (though not smooth) is stupid tough when compared to whats in the Titan.

After driving the Ram for a month and going back to my 12th gen 2014 f150... I don't miss the Ram at all other than its slick 8 speed.
    I dunno, the Ram just felt "lighter" but also didn't feel as solid overall. Also, to note... the F150 and Tundra have SUBSTANTIALLY more interior room to the Ram or Chevy on the crew cab.

the hemi is potent, and the value is very good on the Ram... and to me, even with the latest GMC/Chevy/F150 offerings, I think the Ram is one of the sexiest looking trucks.

Problem with Ram is likely non-engine durability (electrical) and the d'bag connotation.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Originally posted by 94boosted

15' F150 Lariat w/ 3.5EB

- Very nice interior
    - Exterior looks dated

15' Tundra Limited

let me know if you notice any vibration in the truck at high way speeds plz.

Originally posted by InRich

let me know if you notice any vibration in the truck at high way speeds plz.
    guaranteed this means they didn't balance your tires right. nothing else typically would do this "only" at highway speeds unless your ball joints are already gone.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Cos

Ah I see, that includes your preferred. The -9100 is after preferred for me, yeah something like -5000 if you go 0%. I can get about 3% which works out to less in 4 years than the 4600 so I was going that way. The truck I priced out was exactly that, $49,000 or something (Kodiak) for $36.

Wasn't a 2015 Avalanche (yeah don't think they make them), was a used 2012 for almost the same price. It had tow package so was seeing if I would like that instead of a new truck. I dont NEED a truck, I NEED to tow so a Tahoe or Yukon would be fine. 2015 Tahoe was $83,000. HAhahahaha

Damned nice though honestly.
    I love having preferred pricing, makes negotiating so much easier. Cost plus a couple hundred bucks and done.

The pricing on the Tahoe/Yukon seems to be out to lunch. So you're comparing a 2012 Avalanche to a new Sierra/Silverado?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast