Quantcast
Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads

My Ride
    Hybrid

Default Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads

Got the itch ever since the recession car deals and what is your next car threads.

Budget is $40k for something "normal" (S4, 335, etc) or $60k(+/-) for something special (M, AMG, RS, etc).

Depreciation is a pretty big consideration. We put ~12,000km/year on our daily driver and roughly 500km on our 2nd car. The new car would replace the 2nd car - so ideally it'd be something that would hold value reasonably after a few years with very little use (like an s2k or 1 series M).

Looking for wildcard suggestions as well as advice on cars to avoid due to issues, maintenance costs (even model year specific).

Cars I've looked at / am considering:
    B8.5 S4/S5/RS5 (felt lied to when I found out the S4/S5 sounds are fake)
    E90/E92 M3
    W204 C63 (2012+)
    W212 E63 (kulu has one for $60k right now)
    F30 335 (kinda boring)
    E46 M3 (would fit the low depreciation criteria, but it's hard to find an unmolested, low mileage example - also not sure if it meets the fun factor)
    E60 M5 (love the sound, but reliability/maintenance is scary)
    370Z stripper model ($30k brand new)

Wildcards that might fit the bill, but I haven't looked into at all:
    996 turbo
    S2000
    SLK55
    F87 M2 (was interested at $61k, but options(dct), freight, pdi, taxes add up fast - got a quote for $72k, would be cross shopping a lightly used Cayman or M4 in that range)
    Last edited by Strider; 03-04-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

500km or 5000km? Because if you're only driving 500km a year on the 2nd car, why even bother?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

What about a Cayman S?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by rage2
    500km or 5000km? Because if you're only driving 500km a year on the 2nd car, why even bother?
    500km. It gets neglected because it's a boring old Mazda. I'll take the SUV even if I'm going out by myself without wife and kid because it's more fun.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Default Re: Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads

Originally posted by Strider
    Got the itch ever since the recession car deals and what is your next car threads.

Budget is $40k for something "normal" (S4, 335, etc) or $60k(+/-) for something special (M, AMG, RS, etc).

Depreciation is a pretty big consideration. We put ~12,000km/year on our daily driver and roughly 500km on our 2nd car. The new car would replace the 2nd car - so ideally it'd be something that would hold value reasonably after a few years with very little use (like an s2k or 1 series M).

Looking for wildcard suggestions as well as advice on cars to avoid due to issues, maintenance costs (even model year specific).

Cars I've looked at / am considering:
    B8.5 S4/S5/RS5 (felt lied to when I found out the S4/S5 sounds are fake)
    E90/E92 M3
    W204 C63 (2012+)
    W212 E63 (kulu has one for $60k right now)
    F30 335 (kinda boring)
    E46 M3 (would fit the low depreciation criteria, but it's hard to find an unmolested, low mileage example - also not sure if it meets the fun factor)
    E60 M5 (love the sound, but reliability/maintenance is scary)
    370Z stripper model ($30k brand new)

Wildcards that might fit the bill, but I haven't looked into at all:
    996 turbo
    S2000
    SLK55
    F87 M2 (was interested at $61k, but options(dct), freight, pdi, taxes add up fast - got a quote for $72k, would be cross shopping a lightly used Cayman or M4 in that range)
    s2000s are holding their value, but of course you are paying a huge premium for the car right now. and who knows, their ability to hold value may fizzle out when the bubble does too.

if you wanted a Porsche Carrera, I would try to get into a C2S or C4S 997.1 at your price range, over the 996. Cayman S would be a good choice too. you're almost in Nissan GT-R territory for your budget too.

oh and... not sure if you're that type of guy but the R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R would be a suitable car for something that is barely driven and you want it to hold its value.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 03-04-2016 at 10:12 AM.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

996 Turbo or 997.1

I don't see either depreciating much, if any. You can find a decent 997.1 for 50-55k

My Ride
    This and that.

If E92 M3 is an option, I will suggest mine. PM me for details if interested. I am still up in the air about getting rid of it, but I might be swayed by a good offer and home. It's a 1 of 1 in North America, Brass Metallic Paintworks.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

My fully built 2008 supercharged E92 M3 with 54,000km is for sale. Tons of upgrades, all parts & maintenance receipts have been kept and documented (totaling over $25k), no accidents, absolutely mint! PM me if you have any interest.

My Ride
    Silverado

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

I would say veloster turbo as my number 1 suggestion.

In that price range for me at least though I would be looking at an RS5 or M3/4. If it is only 500 km per year though, I find it kind of a weird idea though.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

If depreciation is a pretty big consideration, than the 370z fits the bill. Relative to its purchase price, I bet you would "lose" the least amount of money on it overall over the years (in raw $$ amount, not necessarily %).

Rwd sports cars can depreciate quickly, but only to a certain point. There is a base floor for pricing when it comes to high hp, rwd manual trans cars, and once hit the value never really goes below there.

Hell, it looks like 1990's BMW's (like 320i and 325i models) are starting to go UP in value now

My Ride
    Hybrid

Default Re: Re: Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    What about a Cayman S?
    Will add it to the list, although I'm not likely to track or auto-x so might be looking for something with a bit more straight line speed.
    Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    Nissan GT-R
    I'd probably be stretching to get a miled out '09 for an R35 and kind of worried about the tranny in those early models. Not into JDM.
    Originally posted by gpomp
    996 Turbo or 997.1 I don't see either depreciating much, if any. You can find a decent 997.1 for 50-55k
    This one seems to be priced pretty aggressively. Higher km, but if I only add 2k km per year, might not be a bad thing. Assuming nothing is wrong with it. Thoughts?
    Originally posted by shakalaka
    If E92 M3 is an option, I will suggest mine.
    I've seen yours on Autotrader. Great looking ride; more than I'd be looking to spend on that vintage of m3 though.
    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    If you are looking for a truly laugh out loud fun car… Fiesta ST
    I left cars like the FiST and Golf R off my list - in my 30s and feel like I'm too old for rice rockets.
    Originally posted by schocker
    I would say veloster turbo as my number 1 suggestion.
    If it is only 500 km per year though, I find it kind of a weird idea though.
    Straight to the top of my list!
    Didn't mean for anyone to get hung up on the 500km bit - would split mileage more evenly between the 2 cars if it was something more interesting than a Mazda3. Probably would be closer to 10k on the SUV (family car) and 3k on the fun car - still low, hence looking for something unique/rare/niche that will hold value.
    Last edited by Strider; 03-04-2016 at 12:17 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Default Re: Re: Re: Another one of those annoying What Car to buy threads

This one seems to be priced pretty aggressively. Higher km, but if I only add 2k km per year, might not be a bad thing. Assuming nothing is wrong with it. Thoughts?
    I've spoken to the guy when I was cross shopping cars. He seems pretty straight up. That car has been for sale for like 6 months now.... I'm sure he would accept a reasonable offer below what he's asking. If there's nothing wrong with the car, it's a good deal really....even though the 997.2 C4S is way superior you are looking to add on at least $20k for one over this.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Whatever you do get an inspection done. Alot of people shy away from 996 C2/C4's and 997.1 C2's/C4's due to the fear of IMS failures (not an issue on the turbo/GT3s) but at the price point a 997.1 has great value.

For something you use so seldom, and by the sounds of it fun-factor is a high priority, I'd get a Porsche 996 TT or 997 C2S/C4S. The nice thing about Porsche too is that they are some of the most "daily driveable" semi-exotic sports cars. You can use the AWD models easily year round too. I think the enjoyment factor per dollar would be hard to beat.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-04-2016 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    If you are looking for a truly laugh out loud fun car… Fiesta ST

It might not have the horsepower or RWD crazyness of some of the cars you listed, but it is probably more fun to drive and twice as practical. Strongly recommend test driving it for yourself.

Oddly enough it will drift just like a RWD when pushed around corners despite being FWD (still trying to get my head around that myself).

You can get a low mileage used one for around 20K, or a brand new one for 25K. Can’t beat the bang for buck IMO.
    How are the seats comfort wise on the ST, seems like lots of complaints about comfort. How is it in the winter?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Why don't you consider leading something? If you are never going to use it and won't rack up the km at least you know what you are in for.

I am mostly shocked that you have 2 people in your household and a baby on the way and you only put 500km on the second car.

Personally I never use my wife's car and she never uses mine.

With a baby on the way maybe you will be making more use of the second car than you think.

As for a wildcard that is definitely special but not particularly fast. G63 AMG. Almost no depreciation is a plus. I have always wanted a garage queen lotus Elise. Also minimal depreciation on used.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-05-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

C6 Z06
    USDM 6MT MK4 Supra
    Jaguar XKR
    Viper
    Lotus Espirit V8TT (reliability issues)

Even though they are a domestic product, the C6Z is great bang for buck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast