Quantcast
Has anyone sold a car to a dealership? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone sold a car to a dealership?

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Default Has anyone sold a car to a dealership?

Just curious to know if anyone has sold their car directly to a dealership not as a trade in but just a straight sale without purchasing a vehicle from them. What would be fair value? Black book value or less?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

It happens. Fair value to you is about the same as you could sell it privately for. Fair value to them is a couple grand less than they plan to resell it for.

Black book isn't a useful negotiating tool.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Couple grand less haha. ..good one....

Dealerships are not charities, they are not there to be a nice guy and help you out. They exist to maximize profits. What will they give you? As low as they can get it from you for. That being said, if you are trying to sell them a niche car, they will be even less likely to give you anywhere near what you want. Their business revolves around selling cars, and to do that you have to sell cars that people want and are more likely to buy. If you're selling them a Corolla, they're still going to bend you over, why? Because the common cars they can easily get at the auctions, why would they buy it off you unless it was worth their while?

If you are getting desperate you simply just have to keep dropping your price on kijiji, it's simple, you will NEVER get lower on kijiji than you will straight up walking up to a dealership. There is no incentive for them to. And if you go to them, they will know right away that you're desperate.
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey; 05-01-2016 at 08:14 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Well said Johnny. If you want them to give you a fair price on trade in, you better be buying a car from them where they are making money haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Gotcha. Cool thanks for the advice

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Depends on the dealership but usually on the low end of the CBB value.

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

you will NEVER get lower on kijiji than you will straight up walking up to a dealership
    unless your cars messed up or you need the cash that day i would never sell straight to a dealer.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I think Honda West and Sunridge Nissan actively advertise that they will buy your car without you buying one from them. But as others have said expect an offer that's about equivalent to a garden variety Kijiji Lowballer.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I buy cars in all the time. Obviously I'd like it to be desirable so it's a quick in and out. What are you trying to sell?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    It happens. Fair value to you is about the same as you could sell it privately for. Fair value to them is a couple grand less than they plan to resell it for.

Black book isn't a useful negotiating tool.
    Couple grand less? Maybe on a $3,000-$4000 car.

The prices dealers pay for cars are ridiculous and it amazes me how many people do it - I wish I could be there at trade-in time to offer some of these people between dealer and kijiji value, and get a hell of a deal on a used car. And if they make you think you're getting a good deal on the trade in by inflating the value, it means you're getting a crappy deal on the new car.

What surprises me even more is why these people don't put it on Kijiji for a few grand above dealer trade in value, it would sell in 24 hours guaranteed.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-02-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Originally posted by 94boosted
    I think Honda West and Sunridge Nissan actively advertise that they will buy your car without you buying one from them. But as others have said expect an offer that's about equivalent to a garden variety Kijiji Lowballer.
    Honda West was an absolute joke regarding their new car and trade in pricing - I would avoid that place. We sold my GF's car for fifteen times what they offered (literally), and their price on a new car was thousands higher than any other dealer for the identical thing, including $800 of "fees" tacked on to their "no hassle, no commission" buying process haha. Her car wasn't worth a lot though, but I imagine they would low ball you similarly on a more valuable one. I know you're not recommending them, it just reminded me is all.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

fucking dealerships... I have nothing to add to this thread other than that. So many bad experiences lately while trying to buy a car, so many dishonest fucks out there.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Anyone ever sell a non-running car to a dealership?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Honda West was an absolute joke regarding their new car and trade in pricing - I would avoid that place. We sold my GF's car for fifteen times what they offered (literally), and their price on a new car was thousands higher than any other dealer for the identical thing, including $800 of "fees" tacked on to their "no hassle, no commission" buying process haha. Her car wasn't worth a lot though, but I imagine they would low ball you similarly on a more valuable one. I know you're not recommending them, it just reminded me is all.
    I had an equally distasteful experience with them, I think they offered me ~9K less than what I ended up selling my GLK for last fall.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Originally posted by Disoblige
    To play devil's advocate here....this is one of the reasons why a dealer, if you think of it from a purely business standpoint, would just offer you a really low price, they have to minimize their costs and they have no clue what you're selling them, why are you there and why aren't you able to sell it privately...there must be something wrong with the car? Well they have to factor that in, they don't have time to carefully comb thru and do a thorough inspection, they give you a number that will cover their ass in case you're the one ripping them off, and you take it or leave it. If you've ever had them appraise your car, you'd know that they typically only spend about 10 minutes with it, usually the used car sale manager will take it for test drive and that's it, they don't have a mechanic look at it or put it on a hoist or anything.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Mis post

Originally posted by Disoblige
    So when I bought my Neon from Courtesy Chrysler, it was because my Protege 5 was a fucking lemon. Constant problems, major misfires, engine would die randomly, couldn't idle steadily at all. Kramer Mazda tried to fix it multiple times and couldn't. My Mom was ready to get me a lawyer, but I didn't want that stress.

Thing is, all these problems were intermittent. I'd get the car back from Mazda and it'd go a couple days with no issues, then they'd come back a few times a week after that. So I go to look at this Neon and the sales guy asks if I'm trading something in. I ask him what he'll offer me for it. We go and look at it. Start it up.

Perfect idle.

He offers me what I paid for it. I say great, but then the Neon was more than I wanted to spend so he says he'll give me more on the trade-in, probably a way to keep his commission up, I dunno. Either way, I overpaid a bit on a Neon but sold my lemon to a (shitty) dealership for $2,000 more than I paid for it. Haven't been back to either dealership since, haha.

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

To play devil's advocate here....this is one of the reasons why a dealer, if you think of it from a purely business standpoint, would just offer you a really low price, they have to minimize their costs and they have no clue what you're selling them, why are you there and why aren't you able to sell it privately...there must be something wrong with the car? Well they have to factor that in, they don't have time to carefully comb thru and do a thorough inspection, they give you a number that will cover their ass in case you're the one ripping them off, and you take it or leave it. If you've ever had them appraise your car, you'd know that they typically only spend about 10 minutes with it, usually the used car sale manager will take it for test drive and that's it, they don't have a mechanic look at it or put it on a hoist or anything.
    Every trade in I've ever seen got an actual inspection at the dealership, and anything wrong with it was taken off the already absurdly low trade in offer.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Every trade in I've ever seen got an actual inspection at the dealership, and anything wrong with it was taken off the already absurdly low trade in offer.
    this is bullshit.

no trade-in goes into the shop unless the deal is done. and once the deal is done, the dealership isn't going back to the customer and saying that they're giving them less than the agreed upon price for their trade-in.

either the dealership will recondition the car for resale, or send it off to auction if its not worth having on the lot.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by SOAB

this is bullshit.

no trade-in goes into the shop unless the deal is done. and once the deal is done, the dealership isn't going back to the customer and saying that they're giving them less than the agreed upon price for their trade-in.

either the dealership will recondition the car for resale, or send it off to auction if its not worth having on the lot.
    Bullshit? Haha I've witnessed it happen 3 times now. They inspected the car before offering a trade in value. But I guess you were there so you would know...

I did not say it was the rule, only that it has happened for every time I have been involved in a trade in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast