Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope you did an image search too!
    So many Adidas tracksuits and Burberry

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-58709456

Lack of lorry drivers.

There's an estimated shortage of more than 100,000 HGV drivers and petrol is only the latest industry to be hit.

The lack of drivers has caused problems for a range of industries - from supermarkets to fast food chains.

Fuel tanker drivers need additional safety qualifications on top of their HGV licence to be able to transport chemicals such as petrol.
    Problem is EU wide but it's hitting UK much harder.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow posted sept 26 View Post
    britain has a shortage of truckers and poultry workers. Issuing thousands of temporary visas for cheap labor from eu.
    icu
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Blimey! Can't get enough petrol from their lorries?!
    This should just accelerate their enlightened path to #NetZero. Nothing to see, here Mate.

Source - I consulted with a Millennial bloke.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

People are hilarious about energy costs and getting mad at "bad oil companies" etc.. They don't realize that energy producer don't set the prices, energy consumers set the prices.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-58709456

Lack of lorry drivers.
    Problem is EU wide but it's hitting UK much harder.
    Pretty much this.
    The driver shortage was not new. Its also a global issue. Free movement of people allowed unmanaged cheap labour to mask over the issue. Now that is gone the industry is struggling to adapt. Its not just the industry. Its local authorities and municipalities. For example, in my old neighbourhood free parking is now rare. I used to recall years ago trucks and lorries being parked on the side of the main road or just off it. Now they can't do that. So where do they go to take a break or stop in London? Many public restrooms have been closed too.

After Brexit, there will be a adjustment of the economy for a few years. The same adjustment happened when the UK became more integrated into the EU. Lots of jobs were lost, local people were not hired as the labour market was flooded.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    After Brexit, there will be a adjustment of the economy for a few years. The same adjustment happened when the UK became more integrated into the EU. Lots of jobs were lost, local people were not hired as the labour market was flooded.
    Yeah, but for how long?

Boris won't be asking to join NAFTA if everything is going well.

Leaving an economic union meant to eliminate the red tape in regulations and allow the free movement of goods and labour between member nations results in having to deal with red tape and a shortage of labour and goods?

Who could have predicted this?!!

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Yeah, but for how long?
    Boris won't be asking to join NAFTA if everything is going well.
    The media (or the British media in particular) will always blow these items up. I said it before, there will be a re-allignment of the economy.
    Obviously Covid is not helping. Printing of money, government handouts.

Leaving an economic union meant to eliminate the red tape in regulations and allow the free movement of goods and labour between member nations results in having to deal with red tape and a shortage of labour and goods?

Well who could have predicted COVID..?
    The increase in food prices is not entirely EU related. We are in a pandemic, governments have printed money and handed it out. What do you think happens to the price of goods and services...? The price of food has gone up here in Canada was that EU related..? If the government gives you free money, why work..?

Look at social media accounts. Truck drivers are not blaming Brexit, this was a issue long before. You have a truck driver shortage in north America also.
    Its just easy to blame Brexit.
    The EU was meant to eliminate red tape and regulations, but people like yourself refuse to acknowledge the social economic impacts of a uncontrolled labour market and its devastating impact on local communities. There is perverse idea that you pursue that a external party(EU) knows better.
    Also it was not a economic union. That was the common market (1970s). This was also a political union.

We have had this discussion before Kert. By your logic then why are you not advocating for open borders between Canada right through to central America...? NIMBY

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post

If only the EU wasn't such a turd, maybe they would have stayed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Trucker shortages here in Canuckistan and even in Ameritopia.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Well who could have predicted COVID..?
    You're better than this. Everybody who wasn't straight up lying, or who wasn't waxing poetic about the British "Golden Age" of the post-war but pre-EU era was predicting this. It's the inevitability of leaving a free market. Even the Brexiteers knew it which is why they kept going on about the WTO and having "leverage" to make a better deal and all the other bullshit. The tune only started changing when it was apparent that the deals weren't as good as advertised and the reality of what leaving a free market started looming.

The increase in food prices is not entirely EU related. We are in a pandemic, governments have printed money and handed it out. What do you think happens to the price of goods and services...? The price of food has gone up here in Canada was that EU related..? If the government gives you free money, why work..?
    Look at social media accounts. Truck drivers are not blaming Brexit, this was a issue long before. You have a truck driver shortage in north America also.
    Its just easy to blame Brexit.
    It's exacerbated by Brexit. As any self-inflicted labour shortage will do as well as increasing restrictions at the border.

Can't say I follow a lot of European based truckers on social media.

The EU was meant to eliminate red tape and regulations, but people like yourself refuse to acknowledge the social economic impacts of a uncontrolled labour market and its devastating impact on local communities. There is perverse idea that you pursue that a external party(EU) knows better.
    Also it was not a economic union. That was the common market (1970s). This was also a political union.
    All economic unions are political unions. The 'devastating impact' occurred before the EU as well. Go back to the 50s, 60s, and 70s when all those Irish, Indian, Pakistani, Caribbean, and other perverse degenerates from across the globe kept ruining the local communities in London and Birmingham and Liverpool and elsewhere.

What's been more devastating to local communities: all the 'uncontrolled labour' that wasn't really flocking there but if it was it was because they were the ones willing to work for cheap, or the main local industry shutting down because it's no longer viable to operate out of the UK?

We have had this discussion before Kert. By your logic then why are you not advocating for open borders between Canada right through to central America...? NIMBY
    Who says I don't? Open them up. Then we can get rid of the race-to-the-bottom protectionism that keep getting in the way.

I'm more of a FYGM kind of guy though rather than a NIMBY. I'm more than fine with having it in my backyard, but it doesn't really affect me if others vote against their best interest. In fact I come out better than most because I still have the EU passport that lets me work in the UK without needing a visa, and if work dries up here I'm a phone call away from heading to the US for it.

Literally anybody that saw cheap foreign labour tank the local market and wages for the industry?

Its funny how progressives only see the future and never the past, almost like how when one forgets history they are doomed to repeat it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Literally anybody that saw cheap foreign labour tank the local market and wages for the industry?
    Or if that's the only way to keep inflation at a manageable pace?

How many Canadians are willing to go pick crops for min wage?

https://globalnews.ca/news/7313124/o...bour-shortage/
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-29-2021 at 09:47 AM.

The trucker shortage started from the 2008 tank. Lost about 100K drivers just in the USA. They never came back - they were old and simply retired.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    The trucker shortage started from the 2008 tank. Lost about 100K drivers just in the USA. They never came back - they were old and simply retired.
    Race to the bottom has suppressed wages, median wage for long haul in 2018 is like $45K USD. I'll go flip burgers instead for that pay.

For median? That's really not that bad.

Many O/Os work few hours. Many of them just use the route picking system available online.

Also the median income for o/o is mega high.
    Last edited by suntan; 09-29-2021 at 10:42 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

You're better than this. Everybody who wasn't straight up lying, or who wasn't waxing poetic about the British "Golden Age" of the post-war but pre-EU era was predicting this. It's the inevitability of leaving a free market. Even the Brexiteers knew it which is why they kept going on about the WTO and having "leverage" to make a better deal and all the other bullshit. The tune only started changing when it was apparent that the deals weren't as good as advertised and the reality of what leaving a free market started looming.
    Do you really think everything was going to be perfect at a flick of a switch? The claims you make are cheap attacks.
    Lets put it into perspective. From the UK joining the common market in the 1970's. It was a gradual merger of the Uk joining the EU. Many farmers lost their jobs. I recall a MP re quoting Tony Blair telling them to find something else to do as they could not compete with European Farmers that flooded the market. But the market over time readjusted as wel as other industries. Its big economy.

All that was flipped overnight. Not only that you had a UK opposition(the Labour party and Liberl Democrats) hell bent on derailing the result of a democratic vote. Not only that but creating as many barriers to obtaining some sort of trade deal. Not only that you have the EU wanting to punish the UK. Do you not recall them voting in parliament when Prime Minister Teresa May tried to pass trade deal that even I though was decent..?

The UK economy will take time to adjust. I said this ages, ago. It will be crazy for a few years. But thats also dependent on the market and companies adjusting.
    So I think it is a bit naive in judgment (especially with a global pandemic) on the arguments you make.

All economic unions are political unions. The 'devastating impact' occurred before the EU as well. Go back to the 50s, 60s, and 70s when all those Irish, Indian, Pakistani, Caribbean, and other perverse degenerates from across the globe kept ruining the local communities in London and Birmingham and Liverpool and elsewhere.

What's been more devastating to local communities: all the 'uncontrolled labour' that wasn't really flocking there but if it was it was because they were the ones willing to work for cheap, or the main local industry shutting down because it's no longer viable to operate out of the UK?
    That is completely and utterly incorrect.
    In the 50s-70s. There was a rebuild after the war and a mass labour shortage. The perverse degenerates as you call them, did not flock over the border. These people could not just come. You needed a working voucher. I know this as my late father came on a working voucher in 1964 to London. He worked in the factories in Birmingham and London. The labour was controlled. Not only that there WAS a mass shortage of workers in general. In the 1990's - Present day when the free movement happened. There was not a mass shortage. Not the difference. Now there is a huge economic impact. Why would a business keep a decent worker at $7 when they can hire someone else at $5. The government has to find work for the $7 person. This has a huge impact on families and your local economy. Its nothing to do with not wanting to do the work. Locals do. They just have family support obligations that a others do not. If the market is fooded its a nasty mess.

But there is more. The second generation i.e myself and others. Get stuck. We start off in low paying jobs, get educated and move up. We have a recession. We cant take low paying jobs. Why, well it has become embedded in the recruitment culture. Just hire east europeans. Person A has to pay a mortgage, Person B does not and will leave back to Eastern Europe. Now I have no problem with that. The issue I have is that it is uncontrolled and the market is flooded. Person A cannot provid for the family. So huge cuts in the family economics are made. Taxes go up to provide social credit. Oh another thing. See with open borders. The people that are coming. Not all have the same civic upbringing. Serious organised crime shoots up. In the part of London where I am from, it was one of the cheapest places in europe to buy crack cocaine in 1997. Try watching teenagers shoot up in front of you. Its devastating to see.
    Odd to say. I actually support immigration and foreign workers on areas where there is a demand, so long as its controlled. Lets give you another example. My cousin from India immigrated to the UK. There was a massive demand for specific I.T. skills. He is happily settled and has even started a business.
    My late father voted for Brexit. An immigrant himself. Why? He said himself you cannot flood the market in a uncontrolled manner. He said he wacthed over the decades, the change was too fast and had a huge impact on local communities and families. When this issue was brought up to elected representatives. They were dismissed and left leaning people shut this down as being racist.
    I have said this before. Brexit was not the cause. Brexit was the result. It was the result of legitimate issues not being taken seriously. Throw in a Covid cocktail and economics that go with that. Then you get what we have here.

But wait there is more. See I came to Canada on a work permit. Why..?, well there was a labour shortage. A big one. LIKE HUGE. I could not just come over and work. We had to go through this thing called a 'Labour Market Opinion'. Its a process to hire locals first and then get work permits. I came on a work permit for a low paying job. Within a month I was running three businesses. it was that bad. Not only that. I could not even hire anyone. There was nobody to hire let alone people with skills etc. I ended bringing in foreign workers myself. When the recession hit, my work permit (two years) could not be renewed. It was only for 1 year. After that I could not renew it. I had to leave Canada. The businesses had to hire locals. it worked. Its a controlled labour market. Hate it all you want. But it worked. Could it be better, yes.
    Not only that. There was a mass shortage of people in general in Alberta. Businesses were screaming for help. So a series of reforms and immigration streams came into effect that helped this. Guess who introduced that..?. It was your beloved Jason Kenny.

Real examples I have given of 1960's UK and 2007 Alberta are of labour markets that were controlled and mass demand needed.

Who says I don't? Open them up. Then we can get rid of the race-to-the-bottom protectionism that keep getting in the way.

I'm more of a FYGM kind of guy though rather than a NIMBY. I'm more than fine with having it in my backyard, but it doesn't really affect me if others vote against their best interest. In fact I come out better than most because I still have the EU passport that lets me work in the UK without needing a visa, and if work dries up here I'm a phone call away from heading to the US for it.
    What is FYGM? I don't know this acronym.

On the issue of protectionism. I would have to strongly disagree. I don't even need to counter that argument. I'l just use a example from history to do it for me.
    Look up the East India Company in the 18th century. Its devastating effect on the textile industry in Bengal and India in general. It is well documented how a company purposely brought in regulations stopping locals and destroyed an industry let alone a country (Kingdoms). Then they (the British) flooded the market with its own textiles.
    Thats why you need some sort of protectionism/control of labour, goods and services. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
    Last edited by tonytiger55; 09-29-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Clsrificaion

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 LastLast