Quantcast
Boats school me on them? - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Boats school me on them?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Seems the cops in AB have been doing well lately with big busts. Mostly drugs but also stolen property. It is nice to see taxpayer money doing good for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so I figure I may as well write a wrap up for my 2017 experience...

Boats like members comes in many shapes and sizes and can be used many different ways

so far, I'm very happy with my relatively small investment, though I did have to go through some learning pains of boat ownership

I am acctually quite happy with the Seadoo boat I picked up as it does what I want and even when not tubing or skiing, its also a blast to hammer waves in.... and keeps me happy for "now". Its a boat where if you don't have the luxury of having a spotter or the weather is inclement, one can have a BLAST driving this giant jetski, and what's crazy is that Scarab still makes this boat called a 165 (16.5 footer) 1400lb boat with a 255hp rotax.

As the wife has said, in a few years as our family grows and their intrestes in watersports increase... the likelyhood will be to move to a proper Watersports boat, or completely the other direction to a pontoon

its been a blast, but definately boat ownership isn't for everyone; truly requiring time for all that towing, use, and sweat equity for cleaning/polishing.... Money for the intial capital and definately some set aside for the annual maintenance (luckily my jet boat is stupid cheap to winterize) and unexpected costs (i.e. destroying props, fiberglass repairs, trailer repairs and legs)

Now that Bayliner has purchased Heyday, I hope that more of the conventional runabout manufacturers can get into provide more of a economical option to make watersports more accessable

(Scarab and Yamaha apparently have wake optioned jet boats, but I really don't think they compare to a vdriven flat hull'd badboy with an indamar)

I also had the luxury of spending time on my neighbor's Malibu and the other's Bayliner and got many many hours on the water this year... and I must say that ownership or not, being on a boat is a great experience.
    So, another year has past and I got another 20-30 hours out on the water with the little seadoo boat... like many people, bad year for condensation/electrical issues out where it was parked which took some time and cash to solve.

Its a short summer, and honestly... makes you wonder if its all worth while lol...

Its not that a Seadoo or a BRP/Rotax jet drive is any less reliable than an I/O with a MerCruiser or a Direct Drive and Indamar... but jesus, Boats around here unless you have heated storage is just subjected to such harsh conditions, even if you vinyl wrap and winterize.

Meanwhile if you were in lake Mead LV, you could leave your boat on a slip forever and be as reliable as a Cummins.

The more I've spent with friends who have boats out at Shadybrook, or live off of Windermere etc... the more I'm leaning towards a pontoon.

I/O boats are really such a compromise for any towsports, and are shit on the chop as well. At least with a decent tow boat, you can ballast and plow through just about anything, and the deep V's these days prevent much for feeling slap.

If I were to go down the surfing path... I'd LOVE a SAN, Mastercraft or Malibu, but realistically an MB would be a really good value for dollar purchase. Also I would say... Centurion, Supreme and Sanger all also make a very good, priced closer to Moomba... but maybe built closer to the Supra. In fact, the 2 Centurions at Shadybrook seem to push as good or better wakes than all but the G25 and a X20.

but... as my friends say, there are way too many surf boats out there, so buy a pontoon so we can moor up and you can BBQ for us.

Well, I'm thinking that a good 22-24 ft with a 110 outboard and a nice Yamaha GP1800 may be all I need (btw that Yamaha GP is one insane mother fucker)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pontoons are awesome, and with enough motor you can ski behind them.

Was on one with 2x 250hp out boards and that beast was fast as hell. Very costly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Pontoons are awesome, and with enough motor you can ski behind them.

Was on one with 2x 250hp out boards and that beast was fast as hell. Very costly though.
    We've dual wake boarded off of a pontoon. There was almost zero wake but it has more than enough jam to pull two full grown adults out of the water. The tri pontoon ones are very slick.

My Ride
    Lariat

Bought my first boat this spring, 2001 Malibu Sunsetter lxi. Amazing boat for waterskiing and it also works quite well for surfing and wakeboarding. Love this thing so far, just wish the season was a little longer this year.

_____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    like many boat owners, took some time and cash to solve the yearly boat issues
    FTFY lol Nothing beats a day on the lake with friends and family on a hot day except the repair bills for the couple hours of use bahahaha.
    Went on a friends pontoon this summer and it was actually really fun, it was a new one but it wasnt anything crazy. He had 150 hp and it hauled ass pretty good for such a big boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Bought my first boat this spring, 2001 Malibu Sunsetter lxi. Amazing boat for waterskiing and it also works quite well for surfing and wakeboarding. Love this thing so far, just wish the season was a little longer this year.

I kinda find that the late 90's to mid 2000's + ski/wake boats are pretty similar in hull design.... so at the end of the day, even if it doesn't have tons of onboard gravity ballast, pick up some fatsacs, a wake shaper, install a good tower and you're good to go.

even the current Sangers and Supreme look just like the same Malibu LSVesc boats from 07'

I went to Martin Marine today to pick up some parts, and just looked at a few mastercrafts and boy those X23's are tasty...

Mastercraft sure makes a nice boat... attention to detail, the number of speakers, the overall quality is amazing, even it makes a highly spec'd moomba (of course its more "supra" level) almost look like a Bayliner

That said, correct craft boats and Mastercraft are probably the BEST in the game... SAN is honestly IMO a level up from even Mastercraft and Malibu... and the Centurion and Supreme boats are quality, especially for the money

fuck at the end of the day, any towboat today is half decent... the hull design, the V drive, the indamar. Someone even said the ONE Heyday WT-1 (which is like a 50k boat) is a half decent boat and the pickle fork front converts into a platform.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

TIL people finance boats for decades

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    TIL people finance boats for decades
    People do the same with larger motorhomes as well.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I can’t even finance a car for 3 years without getting bored, how do people not get fed up with financing a boat for 25 years?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I can’t even finance a car for 3 years without getting bored, how do people not get fed up with financing a boat for 25 years?
    Cause they don’t even have to think about the boat outside of the 6 weeks a year it’s in season?

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Because they trade the boat in every 2-3 years on a brand new one. The boats hold their value really well and the dealers buy them back at top dollar. Its pretty ridiculous actually
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    People do the same with larger motorhomes as well.
    Airplanes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Because they trade the boat in every 2-3 years on a brand new one. The boats hold their value really well and the dealers buy them back at top dollar. Its pretty ridiculous actually
    they "do" but I wouldn't say they hold top dollar.

I think reasonably priced under 130K seem to, but I've seen some 16-17 SANs going for what seems to be significantly cheaper than MSRP

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fuck, I am clearly not wealthy enough if 130k is a “reasonably priced” boat.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

That's about the entry into wakeboard models now. Crazy

My Ride
    ute

I'm so glad I'm not a boat guy. haha.

I think most people work with boats the same way as most exotic cars are handled: just manage/finance the depreciation cost, and work it into your entertainment budget.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Makes amgs look like play money that’s for sure
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

I bet if you were to look at the underlying finances, that most AMGs do not incur significant financial stress on a family. On the other hand, I bet most of these wakeboats or whatever represent a significant drain on the respective family's financial resources (I'm not referring to the people in this thread or anything, just in general). Driving around the neighborhood, I see these giant swanky boats that are worth a significant percentage of the house behind them. Maybe its more easily justified because it's a "family activity?" or something? I'm cool with however people want to spend their money.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast