Quantcast
New pickup opinion: Sierra VS Ram - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New pickup opinion: Sierra VS Ram

Default New pickup opinion: Sierra VS Ram

In the market for a new truck, looking for some insight from owners of Sierra/Silverado and Ram. Primarily looking to see how they tow and what kind of fuel economy you get. I have a 6400# holiday trailer, I also commute between Calgary and Edmonton often for work.

Leaning to the Sierra at this point. Drove one with the 6.2, mag ride, and 8 speed auto, was extremely impressed. I also tried out a Eco Diesel Ram, a nice ride but felt very underpowered compared to the GMC, the hemi felt better but still a bit behind the 6.2. I'd like to hear how well the Rams tow with the air ride and coil springs.

Also, before someone suggests a Ford- Never ever EVER will I own another F150 (esp ecoturd) I turn in my 14 FX4 EB soon (2yr lease is up) and will be happy to see that unreliable pos go, good luck to its next owners! Fucking lemon lol.

Thanks Beyond!

My Ride
    Silverado

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3, 6 speed and the 3.42 rear end. Here is my fuel economy

6.2 with the 8 speed would be awesome and I think there are a few members here with that. Douchebags drive rams. fact.

My Ride
    bus

Ecoboost F-150. They are just better trucks

Originally posted by redblack
    2017 Ecoboost FTW

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Douchebags drive rams. fact.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Here we go

Originally posted by r3ccOs

2017 Ecoboost FTW

My Ride
    changes every year

Douchebags drive rams. fact.
    aw man.

How many teeth do you have? If you re missing any, get a ram and start mouth breathing.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

If you're looking for a powerful truck I don't think anything can touch a Sierra/Silverado w/ the 6.2 unless Ram is offering the 6.3 in the 1500's now. But I though the 6.2 required premium

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3, 6 speed and the 3.42 rear end. Here is my fuel economy

That's pretty good mileage, according to my trip computer I'm at 15.3L/100 after ~23,000km, that's 75% city, 15% towing (car hauler) and 10% highway. Also 15' Sierra w/ 5.3 & 3.42's.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Do have any plans on selling the truck within 5 years? If so, go the GMC route. Resale is better.

The 6.2/8L90 is a pretty stout tow mule. I'd probably go max tow if you are pulling that trailer every weekend. That would mean moving down to an SLT trim. It would gain you the 9.75 rear end with the 3.73 gears.

Ram's interior has the better infotainment system, and bigger back seat. GM doesn't have the valvetrain problems the Ram's seemingly all have above 100K.

Long range fuel economy is the EcoDiesel strong point. GM 6.2 is about what dirt posted above because the 8spd.

I think the Ram will be replaced in the next year which may effect your decision. GM is due for a new model in 2018.

GM service is leaps and bounds better than Dodge. Two pretty solid dealers in the city - GSL and Jack Carter.

My Ride
    LNF

Pretty tough to beat the 6.2.. Especially when compared to the hemi.

Like other people have said. If resale down the road is a concern, 6.2 all the way! These trucks hold their value very well and are very reliable.

I have a 2014 Sierra SLE (5.3 3.42 gears) and I also drive some of the Laramie Rams and the 5.7 is definitely better then the 5.3. But I still just overall prefer the way the sierra drives. I also think the current sierra looks much better then the current ram.

Can't go wrong with either though!

My Ride
    Upass

Default Re: New pickup opinion: Sierra VS Ram

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dynasty 88

Also, before someone suggests a Ford- Never ever EVER will I own another F150 (esp ecoturd) I turn in my 14 FX4 EB soon (2yr lease is up) and will be happy to see that unreliable pos go, good luck to its next owners! Fucking lemon lol.

Thanks Beyond!
    [/Q]

No matter what you do dont just hand back your old truck. You have a lot of equity sitting in it. Either sell it back to Ford or buy it out and trads it in to the dealership with which ever brand you end up going with. You should hvae 6-7k in equity sitting in that truck.

My Ride
    bus

The ford will have way better fuel economy than the other trucks. It's a proven chassis with alluminum in the right spots. That's why they are the best truck maker, if it's military grade then it's the best truck out there imo.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

The ford will have way better fuel economy than the other trucks. It's a proven chassis with alluminum in the right spots. That's why they are the best truck maker, if it's military grade then it's the best truck out there imo.
    Lol! What are you the writer for the commercials?

I'll put my truck against any ecoboost for economy. I have in my computer, logged 100kms highway at 9.1L/100km. Yes, I got 31mpg from rosewood to Saskatoon going 102km/hr with 2 passengers, a baby and all luggage/baby stuff.

5.3, 3.42, 2015 model with the 18" wheels and all terrain package. Haven't seen any other truck except the ram ecodiesel touch that. I also have pics for proove.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Also my last GM truck was riddled with endless quality problems. I would never buy another GM product again.
    I say the same thing about Ford. Are you referring to your Hummer or was it a GM truck? Yes I am aware they are very similar.

military grade
    Those words are marketing fluff.

If they said MIL-SPEC or MIL-STD, then I would pay closer attention.

Yes, all the right spots...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast