Quantcast
Console vs. PC Gaming - Pros / Cons? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Console vs. PC Gaming - Pros / Cons?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Default Console vs. PC Gaming - Pros / Cons?

I've been a console gamer all of my life and generally play sports only these days. But I've been toying with the idea of getting into PC gaming, and doubling that pc as a media center. I have zero need for a new computer, as my laptop is still doing everything I need.

I do like the fact that a good gaming pc will out perform any console and likely for some time. And most games I play or would be interested in are offered accross all platforms.

So who here plays pc only or a mix of both?

Arguments for or against strictly pc gaming?

Thanks in advance for the help!

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

IN BEFORE PC MASTER RACE HOPS IN THIS THREAD

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I did something similar last year. I got a tower for my photo editing that would also be good for gaming. I tried playing games on it for awhile, but just didn't like it. I ended up getting a console. If you can get the same game across all platforms I find it more enjoyable on console. I find console is more reliable and not hacked so much. The mods are fun on pc, but I find they're only fun temporarily and end up ruining the game. Games are way cheaper on pc though, Steam has great sales.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Silverado

i switched to pc because sony started charging for internet with the ps4, i don't regret it and havent looked back.

My Ride
    Grimace

I play mostly on PC but also Xbox One.

PC
    Pros - Sky is the limit on graphics/performance, higher resolutions, different input methods/controllers, can choose a form factor, more and more diverse games, generally more deals on games, variety of store fronts, free online multiplayer
    Cons - Cost if you want amazing performance/high end parts

Consoles
    Pros - Easier to set up and go, easier for couch setups, exclusive games, more robust online services
    Cons - Worse graphics/performance/resolutions, paid online services (You get included free games though generally), physical games often on sale eons before digital sales

I like a bit of both.

Racing games --> Console. Easier to get out the racing seat, wheel, etc. in front of a big projector screen.

FPS games --> PC (I absolutely cannot understand how people can enjoy this on a console with the joysticks)

Most other games I prefer on PC as well, way more power, way better graphics, and I think just the types of games I like are more traditionally PC games. Nothing beats the keyboard/mouse combo for a lot of things (IMO).

You can build a 1080P PC gaming rig easily for under $1000 which is dirt cheap. If you're into 4K gaming that's a different story.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-25-2016 at 03:28 PM.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I like sitting on my couch in front of my TV. I can't find a comfortable position for my keyboard and mouse, so i prefer playing on a console with a controller.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Been a pretty hardcore console fanboi for a while. Everything is simple and fun. I spend 500 bucks on a console what once every 5 years?

The rest of the setup ( tv sound system) is something I would own anyways for sports and movies.

I still like PC games, but I don't go out of my way to buy a gaming PC. I just adjust the settings on games to be playable on modest hardware. I spend maybe 5% of my gaming time on PC vs consoles.

I like sitting on my couch playing games with friends. Not so much of an option with PC.

I think the writing is on the wall with things like Xbox anywhere that the like between PC's and consoles is becoming more vague. That's a good thing imo.

I would personally have absolutely no problem paying way more than 3-500 bucks for a console with better capabilities. That's my hope for Xbox scorpio. I actually hope it's really expensive.

I find maintaining a gaming PC to be a pain in the ass, I just buy macs now which have managed to satisfy all my PC gaming needs. Whenever some friends start playing a PC game more often I have never had an issue using my macs to play along, maybe lower graphics settings but still just as fun. Most of my friends fall back to console pretty quickly.

Overall, play what your friends play. Because playing video games by yourself exclusively is pretty sad.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

All that needs to be said on the subject:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

But really, the big distinction is what games you want, and if you want the hassle of PC. Because PC is a f*&king hassle.

If you want to trade lower end graphics for less hassle, there you go.

Also, all console controllers can now be used with PC, so thats really not an issue. And are there actually any console exclusives these days??
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 11-25-2016 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    is broken

All glory to the PC MASTER RACE! Dirty peasants!

But seriously schocker has the best short answer. Although consoles are starting to get stupid with updates/patches/ upgrades. Should be disc in -> play.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos
    I find maintaining a gaming PC to be a pain in the ass, I just buy macs now which have managed to satisfy all my PC gaming needs. Whenever some friends start playing a PC game more often I have never had an issue using my macs to play along, maybe lower graphics settings but still just as fun.

I can send you tips on windows and gaming pcs if you like
    It is ezpz.

My Ride
    Has wheels

I very much would still be using a controller for pc gaming and setting it up off of my home theater set up. So essentially the same set up as my xbone.

Killramos, I guess I'm a sad gamer since I pretty well exclusively play solo. Sports or campaign/story driven games.

I've never ever been a pc game player, so I don't really know how everything plays compared to console. I just enjoy the thought of how much better things would look.

Seems like staying with a xbox is probably the best choice but I'm definitely intrigued about the pc side of things.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^Well you can always build a computer around the size as say an OG Xbox One with higher performance for not too much money and could run it on the TV with a controller and/or wireless keyboard etc.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture

Using certain devices, steam link, nvidia shield, fire tv, old computer etc, you can stream to your tv from a pc elsewhere in your house.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I'm a huge PC gamer.

Have bought all the consoles, always wind up returning to PC.

Why?

Mods
    I mean, sure they "can" be game ruining if you want them to be, but really, all a mod does is extend the functionality of the game.

I'm running graphics mods in GTA V that make it look like it's a brand new game. I also have a gun that shoots cars. Awesome!

Graphics
    'Nuff said. You will need a badass PC to run at high resolutions/max graphics though.

Backwards compatibility
    I just played a game of Total Annihilation. That game came out in 1997.

If there's one thing I hate, it's not being able to play a game I got on PS3 because that stupid thing is locked in the basement and will never be hooked up again.

Steam -> Download -> Install.

Sure, I've had a few games that gave me issues (like Mech Commander, also released in 1997), but a bit of Goolgling and we're back in business.

Game Slection
    Beats the shit out of console, holy cow. Consoles have some fun games, sure, but nowhere near the breadth of PC. PC allows you to go niche. XBOX... not so much.

Couch gaming/etc.

Get a wireless controller and hook it up to your PC. Doneso.

Want to play it on TV? Either get steam link, or plug your PC into the TV. Doneso.

I can't even figure out how people can say things like "can't play with friends on your PC". Yes you can. Easily, too.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Consoles use to make sense up until the current generation(i have every console collecting dust). Now they are just craptastic computers with proprietary software/ui.

game selection alone should be enough to sway you to the PC world. There is easily 1000x the games for pc than there are for consoles. I personally really enjoy simulation/strategy games and they are near non-existent in the console world because they really utilize the CPU and consoles aren't very powerful in that department.

-games generally cost more for consoles
    -pcs are pumping out 100+hz at 4k consoles are struggling to get 1080@60hz
    -stuck to always using a controller(and a specific controller at that)
    -consoles charge you a subscription to play online.
    -no option to mod games/add asserts on consoles.
    -so many free betas/alphas/and games are available to PC players.
    -21x9 and 48x9(eyefinity) aspect ratios is a real game changer in immersion
    -there is no worry about backwards comparability when a new console comes out.
    -laptops make PC gaming Ultra portable.
    -pc modding is a massive community just like cars there are some insane setups out there. Consoles might get a sticker slapped on them.
    -Pcs can play multiple games at once.( i know this sounds crazy but I frequently find myself loading up city skylines on a seperate monitor while waiting for a group in wow)

Console exclusives are becoming less and less common because of the cost they have to charge to make up for the loss of profits from the PC segment.

Initial Price is about the only thing CURRENT consoles have going for them.

I also somehow have to justify to myself how I spent so much money on this...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I like a bit of both.

Racing games --> Console. Easier to get out the racing seat, wheel, etc. in front of a big projector screen.

FPS games --> PC (I absolutely cannot understand how people can enjoy this on a console with the joysticks)

I'm the opposite of you! I like my racing games on the PC. I'm an iracing nut because I love the competition and hard core sim aspect; nothing on the console scratches that itch.

All my other games are couch games. I play with friends, or wife on the PS4 because it's way more social. I wish there were more couch co-op games available, but sadly most gamers now want to play on-line.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I like consoles mostly, although the constant updates and relying to be online is annoying as hell. Why can't I just put a disc in and play the fucking thing!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I can't remember the last time my console didn't automatically download all its updates in the middle of the night?

Also for current gen I haven't bought a single game on a disc.

I have built a gaming PC before, always something wrong with it and had to be restored every few months. I can't even stand my MS Surface turnkey tablet. Always something wrong with the drivers and it's never working when I want it to be. It just got old fast and I moved on from PC gaming.

Investing in a gaming rig seems like a big waste of money when I don't even play on the computer I have THAT often. Speaking of updates every time you turn the thing on...

The console that just arrived on my step from Amazon and plugged into my tv works just fine for me. Though I don't fault those who prefer pc's
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Seems like a constant struggle to make sure all the PC parts are compatible with new games. Graphics card too slow, new graphics card needs more power so need a new PSU. Processor too low end, upgrade that but won't fit in mobo, need to replace mobo, oh now old RAM won't work with it, need new RAM

With consoles the first and last game made for it over 5+ years just works, no playing around with graphics settings either.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Swank
    Seems like a constant struggle to make sure all the PC parts are compatible with new games. Graphics card too slow, new graphics card needs more power so need a new PSU. Processor too low end, upgrade that but won't fit in mobo, need to replace mobo, oh now old RAM won't work with it, need new RAM

With consoles the first and last game made for it over 5+ years just works, no playing around with graphics settings either.
    So I just jumped back into PC gaming after 10 year of absence.

It's a lot better than before. As long as you stick with Steam/Origin, it's very user friendly in updated.

Hardware wise, almost everything has autoupdate notification on drivers and software. And as long as you don't overclock like crazy, it's quite stable.

It get crazy when you get into community mods.

The only difference for me is do you prefer to be on a couch playing on a 75" TV and console or sitting straight in front of a 34" screen while the room slowly heat up by the PC.

That said, PC gaming will continue to be a niche for enthusiasts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast