Quantcast
What are people rocking for laptops these days? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What are people rocking for laptops these days?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Keep in mind I'm not an accountant, but I do pay one to advise me and that's my memory of his advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don’t worry slow ima give CRA your phone number next year along with the receipt.

Haven’t decided how I am going to structure this one yet but if I can deduct laptop it might be worth the effort to go through the steps.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-20-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, you can claim expenses against any kind of income, don't need to be incorporated or anything. Can even claim against being someone's employee, although there's rules around that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, you can claim expenses against any kind of income, don't need to be incorporated or anything. Can even claim against being someone's employee, although there's rules around that.
    We will have to get a coffee or wobbly pop one of these days here to have a chat about this topic instead of muddying up the laptop thread.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:37 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I ran circles around everyone in my classes doing CAD on my MacBook Pro in undergrad. My iMac was also deadly for that purpose.

I also TA’d and marked the intro design course (just CAD) all on that MacBook.

But that was when a well spec’d MacBook Pro in 15” was 2,000 dollars. Not 3,000.

I would say XPS 15 is the ideal machine for your use, I haven’t really heard much bad about them from anyone. About 1/3 of my class in MBA are rocking XPS 13 and 15’s, another third with surfaces of some kind, maybe 20% on MacBooks and the rest on generic.

Never heard a peep from anyone using the XPS’s or the MacBooks.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    My current XPS laptop lost a hard drive initially, and the battery life on it is like 40 minutes tops. The keyboard stopped working a couple of months ago, I actually had it replaced, but it is an issue with the motherboard. So now I have to lug a keyboard around with me to use it. It has had a pretty easy life too, I was using it maybe once every other week for most of its life.

Dell XPS Laptops to me are basically disposable; they give you a great bang for the buck, but you are lucky to get 3 years out of them before they shit the bed.
    which gens/models of XPS specifically? Do you have any experience with the infinity screen/carbon fibre from 2015+? I would tend to agree with you that XPS' were shit before, but starting from the 2015 9343 they are a lot better. I have the first one of this gen (the 9343) which i bought in early 2015 right when they came out and battery life is still amazing and still runs great considering it's a 3+ year old laptop. only thing i've done is upgrade from a 128GB SSD that came with it to a 512.

this is the one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_X...3,_Early_2015)

don't have exact stats on battery life but recently i was able to watch 3 episodes of The Wire on a 5 hour flight and it still had over 25% battery left. Not bad considering it's a thin 13" ultrabook laptop without a removable battery. I would expect the 15" has a bigger battery than the 13 and would last even longer.
    Last edited by sabad66; 04-24-2018 at 03:30 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

My XPS13 has been a gem after the first month. Had a bunch of random crashes and power offs the first week. Wiped the harddrive and reinstalled all the updated drivers and its been flawless since. Not sure why but after that it's been nothing short of perfect. The battery life is killer, typically get 10+ hours and almost never even consider where my charger is for day to day work

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I've never had an issue with Dell. That's the only brand that has been flawless for me.
    I've had 2 inspirons and an XPS. All flawless, waiting for the new I7's to show up in the 15 before I pull the trigger on a new one

XPS is high end consumer class. Better spec for the dollar, but nowhere near as reliable as Latitude or Precision.

HP is on and off for reliability, support has been terrible as far as notebook return to depot lately. Only units I'd sell for day to day use (analyst/accounting) are Probook and Elitebook. Only Intel though...AMD units have been terrible.

Lenovo was great for a long time, but then became unreliable. Support pulled the same crap as HP is right now, so I might go back to them and throw HP on the backburner again. Only units I'd look at are Thinkpads, haven't looked in a long time so no idea what models.

DELL business support is the best of the three and their notebooks are the most reliable. Only units I'd sell for day to day are Latitude, but nothing gimmicky (haven't tried the 2-in-1's or anything).

For gaming I'd go consumer class (MemX whatever) over mobile workstation (Zbook, Precision, whatever Lenovo has). Spend half up front, replace every 18 months or so.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Asus N56VZ i7
    512gb ssd
    128gb sd storage
    12gb ram
    NV 650m video card

Runs Autodesk Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2019, Inventor flawlessly, rendering and all. Nice laptop
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

I need to start thinking about a new laptop for the Fall. Something super lightweight, minimum 14" screen, powerful enough to run AutoCAD, great battery life, but also something reliable enough to endure 4 years of heavy use. I've basically got an unlimited budget to work with, but no Macbooks... I dislike Apple almost as much as I dislike Tesla, haha.

I've owned a lot of XPS products over the years... the laptop line is really well spec'd, but they are not that reliable IMO

Actually in general I've been pretty disappointing with Dell's laptops. My wife just picked up a new one less than a year ago and I think the screen connection is already starting to go.
    Id recommend a Thinkpad T480, T480s, or the current equivalent of the X1 carbon, depending on your size, aesthetic, and upgradeability requirements. You simply cannot find more durable and linger lasting machines on the market.

My Ride
    ute

Thinkpad? I haven't heard that name for a long time, wasn't that IBM?

I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the recommendation!
    I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it got lost among all of the XPS love. lol.

I had a thinkpad, then went to an XPS13 for a couple of years, and now I'm back to a thinkpad. They are pretty much a mainstay of corporate computers, and are a notch above the XPS in terms of quiality, and fit and finish, IMO. Lacking in style, and relatively expensive. But I wouldn't go back to an XPS at this point. I just got the new T580 (I need the number pad). It's the new one with the 8th gen processor. The XPS is really good too, though, I had no issues with it at all nad would recommend it as well. It's just the Thinkpad is another class.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I bought my Lenovo X60t in 2008 and it's still up and running today, though with literally zero battery life. Interestingly enough, it connects to 5gHz networks which I didn't even know existed back then

My Ride

My Razer Blade is still going strong (outlasted several HP & Dell laptops of my friends and family) with fairly heavy use and getting carted around everywhere with me. Apparently their rep was terrible in the past, but I haven't come across anything leading me to that same perception while owning my laptop. Superior "fit and finish" compared to everything else I've seen (aside from the macbooks), but without the Apple-ness.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

No numpad...would be a deal breaker for me...
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast