Quantcast
Cycle Track Made Permanent - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycle Track Made Permanent

Default Cycle Track Made Permanent

Only amendment is for cycle track team to work with Green Line project for ultimate alignment of the 12th Ave track where there may be conflict with the future Green Line alignment.

Also comes with $1.65M from existing budget to improve it.

For: Woolley, Carra, Farrell, Nenshi, Colley-Urquhart, Pincott, Chabot, Keating, Pootmans, Jones

Against: Magliocca, Chu, Demong, Sutherland

Absent: Stevenson

A 10-4 vote is more members than voted Yay on implementing the pilot project in the first place (which was an 8-7 vote). DCU was one of the people who flipped, forget who the other was.

Larry Heather is likely going to run for some sort of position in the next election so the people who feel so angered by this do have their savior moving forward.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I heard they were also going to expand it? Although I may have that mixed up with the approval to "improve" it for 1.65M

My Ride
    is broken

Dont worry. Larry Heather has the full story. LOL.
    https://twitter.com/CalgarySenate
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Grimace

Not a surprise. 12th ave still needs to be majorly fixed though. Such a mess.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Can they put it underground like the green line?

Originally posted by schocker
    Not a surprise. 12th ave still needs to be majorly fixed though. Such a mess.
    My favourite is the phantom lane change mid intersection at that one spot. Definitely easy to navigate in winter when you've never driven it before

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Originally posted by Sentry
    I heard they were also going to expand it? Although I may have that mixed up with the approval to "improve" it for 1.65M
    Yeah it's going to improvements. Changing dividers, signals, driveway entrances etc. It's the money that was saved in setting up the track in the first place, basically.

I see the city just fudged all the data they needed
    People want them to collect data but don't believe it when they get it anyway. No pleasing some people.

Chu and Magliocca's independent data of the Peace Bridge to show how inflated the numbers are was also conspicuously absent.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Worst. Council Vote. Ever.

Honestly Just 5th St sucks..

My Ride
    Rev. Runner

For such an insignificant project, I'm surprised at the emotion generated on both sides.

Insignificant costs.
    Insignificant traffic delays.
    Insignificant bike access outside of the inner city.

Yes, 12th does suck, but most likely will be moved to 10th when all the construction slows down between 10th St and 4th St.
    Hell Bent on the Worst Kind of Infamy

I literally moved because of this. The usage data is well known to be skewed and inaccurate. It appears I made the right decision.

How much more would it cost to remove the bike lanes if they voted against it? Likely more than the $1.65M improvement budget.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Quizzes
    How much more would it cost to remove the bike lanes if they voted against it? Likely more than the $1.65M improvement budget.
    Probably one of the major reasons it wasn't voted to be removed.

Does anyone actually believe these weren't permanent once they were complete a year ago? Hah!

Lol at the people in here claiming the data is skewed. The bike counter data is pushed daily to a publicly accessible website that anyone can audit:

http://www.eco-public.com/ParcPublic/?id=4190

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by RedDawn
    Lol at the people in here claiming the data is skewed. The bike counter data is pushed daily to a publicly accessible website that anyone can audit:

This is what they are referring to

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryher...?client=safari
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Exploded.

12 ave isn't bad now as it was before. Still sucks but not as much.

Originally posted by finboy

This is what they are referring to

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryher...?client=safari
    Lol, that article is from 2014.

Originally posted by RedDawn

I lived across the street from the 12th ave cycle track since it was built and there is no way their numbers are accurate on the sections I could see or the sections I walked along daily unless the majority of riders come out in the middle of the night, which I think is highly unlikely.

Also, social media would drum up all the hipsters and Nenshi lovers and organize large numbers of people to ride up and down the cycle tracks all day to heavily skew numbers and make it appear much more popular than it was when it was getting media attention.

There were numerous issues with the data, but the city never looks at that - we all know decision to keep it was made before the cycle track was even put in (this is generally true for most City decisions, not just the cycle track - the "research" and "info sessions" are just optics".

12th ave sees more than *25 times* the weekday average of cyclists in vehicle traffic every day and yet they effectively removed 3 of the 4 free flowing vehicle lanes to accommodate what amounts to a tiny fraction of users. That is beyond comprehension, especially since most cyclists continue to use 10th ave because it has no lights and ALREADY had a bike lane, or they use the sidewalk . Furthermore, when weather isn't ideal (like 4-6 months of the year in Calgary) you see ridership drop as low as UNDER TEN users on some days, but vehicle traffic remains largely the same. At the very most, this should have been a summer-only project and it should have been done on 10th ave or literally anywhere other than 11/12 avenues. If the flames are playing it can take an hour to go from 14th street to the Saddle Dome and not a single bike in sight.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I lived across the street from the 12th ave cycle track since it was built and there is no way their numbers are accurate on the sections I could see or the sections I walked along daily unless the majority of riders come out in the middle of the night, which I think is highly unlikely.

Also, social media would drum up all the hipsters and Nenshi lovers and organize large numbers of people to ride up and down the cycle tracks all day to heavily skew numbers and make it appear much more popular than it was when it was getting media attention.

There were numerous issues with the data, but the city never looks at that - we all know decision to keep it was made before the cycle track was even put in (this is generally true for most City decisions, not just the cycle track - the "research" and "info sessions" are just optics".

12th ave sees more than *25 times* the weekday average of cyclists in vehicle traffic every day and yet they effectively removed 3 of the 4 free flowing vehicle lanes to accommodate what amounts to a tiny fraction of users. That is beyond comprehension, especially since most cyclists continue to use 10th ave because it has no lights and ALREADY had a bike lane, or they use the sidewalk . Furthermore, when weather isn't ideal (like 4-6 months of the year in Calgary) you see ridership drop as low as UNDER TEN users on some days, but vehicle traffic remains largely the same. At the very most, this should have been a summer-only project and it should have been done on 10th ave or literally anywhere other than 11/12 avenues. If the flames are playing it can take an hour to go from 14th street to the Saddle Dome and not a single bike in sight.

How do you explain the display they have on 5th Street showing the live count?

You can ride your bike over the counter right beside the display and watch the display update by one. Hang out there and watch other people ride over it and you'll also see it increment accordingly. At the end of the day, that number matches the one on the website.

How is that rigged or skewed?

Counter in Street View:
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04456...2!8i6656?hl=en

Counter Public Webpage:
    http://www.eco-public.com/public2/?id=100022541
    Last edited by RedDawn; 12-20-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

If they were just lying about the numbers why would they need to drum up people to use them all day to skew the numbers?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast