Quantcast
STOLEN: 2014 Malibu Wakesetter - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: STOLEN: 2014 Malibu Wakesetter

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Every time I start thinking "hey, I should buy a boat", I follow that thought with "hey, I should ask Carson Blocks first", and then the idea dies. You are my source of reason when it comes to boats my friend, and my wallet thanks you!
    Got coworker from Vancouver with a personal 20-24' he says he agrees with the sentence. The happiest 2 days owning a boat is: day you buy it, and day you sell.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Got coworker from Vancouver with a personal 20-24' he says he agrees with the sentence. The happiest 2 days owning a boat is: day you buy it, and day you sell.
    Yup. You never want to be the guy with a boat, you want to be the guy who's friends has a boat.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by ercchry
    ^^i think he hit a rock or something
    That was definitely part of it. Bought a reasonably priced ($8k-ish?) 8 year old boat in '14 from a reputable dealer. Was assured all the $$$ maintenance had been done, took it out once for a couple hours and had nothing but problems. About $5k later the boat was actually reliable and worked properly. Another $2k fixed minor shit like the rotted trailer tires, replace broken stereo, misc odds and ends. Took it out once in '15, made it halfway down ghost lake and found an unmarked rock bar way out closer to the middle than I would have expected. Needed a new leg, prop etc. Quoted over $10k to fix it, managed to do it a bit cheaper by finding some parts myself. Then you add in $1-2k per year for all the storage, winterizations, dewinterizations, etc. and new pumps every couple years and my hourly cost is a very large number. So yeah, fuck boats. It's in good shape but apparently boating isn't for me. I'll sell it in the spring and some lucky bastard can get a boat with a new everything for cheap, I'm done. I'll probably get a tin bastard with an outboard for fishing, something I can store in my yard and fix with a hammer and caulking gun.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by btimbit

Yup. You never want to be the guy with a boat, you want to be the guy who's friends has a boat.
    haha being the beer/gas guy is way easier. ive been both sides of that deal

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by carson blocks

That was definitely part of it. Bought a reasonably priced ($8k-ish?) 8 year old boat in '14 from a reputable dealer. Was assured all the $$$ maintenance had been done, took it out once for a couple hours and had nothing but problems. About $5k later the boat was actually reliable and worked properly. Another $2k fixed minor shit like the rotted trailer tires, replace broken stereo, misc odds and ends. Took it out once in '15, made it halfway down ghost lake and found an unmarked rock bar way out closer to the middle than I would have expected. Needed a new leg, prop etc. Quoted over $10k to fix it, managed to do it a bit cheaper by finding some parts myself. Then you add in $1-2k per year for all the storage, winterizations, dewinterizations, etc. and new pumps every couple years and my hourly cost is a very large number. So yeah, fuck boats. It's in good shape but apparently boating isn't for me. I'll sell it in the spring and some lucky bastard can get a boat with a new everything for cheap, I'm done. I'll probably get a tin bastard with an outboard for fishing, something I can store in my yard and fix with a hammer and caulking gun.
    Check with SpikerS, I think he has a better solution than selling at a loss.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

I want to know if OP has move over written across his windshield.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by carson blocks

Not far off from owning a trailer really..... maintenance, insurance, storage, truck to tow, gas and camping fees. Cheaper to stay in a hotel and no hassle.

Edit- dont forget usable for 4 months a year and typically the weather sucks even in those 4 haha

Dont get me wrong I have owned several and likely will own again
    Last edited by craigcd; 12-23-2016 at 09:50 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Camping trailer is a bad investment, but boats are next level pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You don't need to drop big money to get out in the lake... just like cars it's whatever you want to make it. $150k wake boat is probably similar to owning a $150k summer car

Buy a little whaler or tin can with a 30-50hp outboard, park it in your yard and just flush the bottom end with fresh gear oil, spray some engine storage spray in the cylinders and stabilize the fuel... done. Probably 10yrs of problem free boating

My Ride
    ute

From what I can tell, lake boats are an even bigger cock-measuring contest than cars.

Originally posted by Buster
    From what I can tell, lake boats are an even bigger cock-measuring contest than cars.

My Ride
    Trucks

Expensive lake boats in Alberta are like mountain snowmobiles in Florida.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

You don't need to drop big money to get out in the lake... just like cars it's whatever you want to make it. $150k wake boat is probably similar to owning a $150k summer car
    You need $ to buy a 150k summer car, you can’t finance that shit over 240 months. If you could then I definitely would.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by roll_over

You need $ to buy a 150k summer car, you can’t finance that shit over 240 months. If you could then I definitely would.
    I'm not talking the actual price of the toys, I'm talking about ownership costs like storage, and maintenance/repairs

When you have assets you can also pay for your shit over an infinite term if you want, heloc interest only payments

My Ride

Buy a little whaler or tin can with a 30-50hp outboard, park it in your yard and just flush the bottom end with fresh gear oil, spray some engine storage spray in the cylinders and stabilize the fuel... done. Probably 10yrs of problem free boating
    I'll try this next time. For some reason, I had to have a 190hp inboard/outdrive to pull toys (which I've never done once).

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by spikerS

yeah, I guess I was being a little vague. I guess the point I was making was that this boat was targeted by professional thieves, and it has disappeared into the neither, or some amateurs and it is parked in their driveway in Sylvan Lake.

But with the economy the way it is, and how expensive those boats are, my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering if this isn't an insurance scam to get out from under it's debt...
    Either he's alive, or he's dead. Or the cops got him, or they didn't.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

schrodingers boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lariat

Its so funny to see so many boat haters on beyond. Personally, I plan on buying a used 20 foot V drive ski/surf/wake boat as soon as I can make it work. There is no better time in the summer than being out on the lake!

To the OP, any luck in finding the boat so far? Hope you get it back soon
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    94 DB

Originally posted by asp integra
    Its so funny to see so many boat haters on beyond. Personally, I plan on buying a used 20 foot V drive ski/surf/wake boat as soon as I can make it work. There is no better time in the summer than being out on the lake!

To the OP, any luck in finding the boat so far? Hope you get it back soon
    I'm one of the 3 partners in this boat and I agree.. haha. It is very funny to see beyond hating on a boat.

We pay $266 a month each and this is the 4th boat we have had in 7 years. We have never made lots on a boat but we have also never lost more than a few thousand. Boats actually appreciate, a Malibu 23LSV was $60k new back in 2005 and now it's 140-160k to get a new one (although our dollar sucking has a big effect on that). I have friends who spend more money taking their families skiing in the winter than we spend enjoying our boat for ~30 days a summer.

I've lost much more on fun cars and they get parked at the same time the boat does. The best part about the boat is that all three of our families fit on this boat at the same time and we all get to enjoy it together.

No word on the boat yet, insurance company said they will give it 30 days.

I would recommend MB Sports as a used V-drive. We had a B-52 as our first boat and loved it. Didn't cost us a penny in the 2 years we owned it.

My Ride

A big part of the boat hate is from guys like myself who go out once or twice a year. I love boats and love the water, but just don't get out for a multitude of reasons. The boat drains damn near the same amount of money whether you use it or not, and often whether it's a nice boat like yours or an old one like mine. We probably pay about the same to get our sea water impeller changed every two years, but yours is amortized over 4 guys going out all the time and using the hell out of it, and mine is over 2 trips out. Same goes for all other maintenance, storage, winterizing, etc. You guys are doing it right and getting your moneys worth, which is more than can be said for most of us Albertans with boats.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast